Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   Music Board Archive (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Real emo/screamo thread (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=182607)

Sonic Johnny 04-15-2015 09:54 PM

Real emo/screamo thread

Before we begin: Fuzzy you will almost definitely not like any of this music, so kindly just refrain from posting in this thread.

Thought i'd post some of my fav classic/first wave emo and skramz bands, cause I know that word has a negative connotation for its more commercially successful second/third wave bands. Anyway:

Essential early/proto emo:

I'm going to skip Slint because they're pretty well loved here/not often recognised as an emo band (but they totally are - last 3 mins of Good Morning Captain proves it)

Then we have emo's knotty, furious little cousin, screamo (or skramz as it is affectionaly known)

Then later on you get more experimental/progressive stuff as emo interbred with post-rock, post-hardcore, math rock, shoegaze etc:

WOO SADNESS PARTY YEAH WOO :smoke:

fuzzyroes 04-15-2015 10:27 PM

I actually like a lot of Emo. I love this track. It kind of sounds like "Today" on steroids

Dogfighter28 04-15-2015 10:36 PM

I don't know anything about this genre but I like this band

Sunny Day Real Estate is obvs. pretty coll, I know it sounds weird but they remind me of Hum on some songs

Sonic Johnny 04-15-2015 10:36 PM

I appreciate te input fuzz but this thread is more intended for the 90s Midwest style of emo and it's more experimental/abrasive/underground offspring than the big stadium brand of emo that emerged around 2003 like the used, circa survive, saosin, my chemical romance etc.

redbull 04-15-2015 10:51 PM

Caught in a Flood with the Captain of the Cheerleading Squad is one of my favorite songs ever. I paid more for a copy of 10 Songs than any other record I own

have you heard of Lord Snow? awesome chaotic skramz with female vocals

redbull 04-15-2015 10:51 PM

singer was also in Suffix which is another band I really love. highly recommend their split with Beau Navire if you can find it

redbull 04-15-2015 10:53 PM

also I dig some of the chicago / northwest indiana twinkly stuff

Sonic Johnny 04-15-2015 10:54 PM

Sweet, I love aggro female vocals in some hxc. Been getting right IMO Punch lately

Mooney 04-15-2015 10:56 PM

sixteen years ago or so i liked fugazi, sunny day real estate, and at the drive-in and i heard the term emo thrown around for all three. they weren't terrible.

Sonic Johnny 04-15-2015 11:16 PM

Not terrible is a pretty apt description

Trotskilicious 04-16-2015 02:36 AM

envy is pretty cool

Sonic Johnny 04-16-2015 02:40 AM

Yeah they're amazing. They have a comeback album this year, as do These Arms Are Snakes. Pretty excited for both.

vixnix 04-16-2015 08:28 AM

Something from the mellow emo files

slunken 04-16-2015 11:52 AM

Love that donut run jam

redbull 04-16-2015 02:40 PM

^^ so good. some of those dudes were in merchant ships I think

redbull 04-16-2015 02:41 PM

old local band I love a lot. members went on to play in CSTVT and Victor Fix the Sun

slunken 04-16-2015 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redbull (Post 4178822)
^^ so good. some of those dudes were in merchant ships I think

out of all that stuff we talked about in that mix thread i enjoyed them and " the exploration" the most.

not really what son-jon was talking about but i don't have anything to add to the discussion other than bragging to him about all da cool bands he is talking about that i've seen live and/or toured with.

point of interest: what is up with that screamo -> noise -> new age -> electronic lineage?

slunken 04-16-2015 04:35 PM

natural progression or scenesterism?

redbull 04-16-2015 05:36 PM

both? electronics has been in lately in my local scene. the diy noise people are switching to circuitbending from instrument-based noise

Sonic Johnny 04-16-2015 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slunken (Post 4178859)
out of all that stuff we talked about in that mix thread i enjoyed them and " the exploration" the most.

not really what son-jon was talking about but i don't have anything to add to the discussion other than bragging to him about all da cool bands he is talking about that i've seen live and/or toured with.

point of interest: what is up with that screamo -> noise -> new age -> electronic lineage?

oh thats right, you did some gigs with Kobrai Kai right? i remember that story you told me about the singer from An Albatros too.

slunken 04-16-2015 09:08 PM

yea yea

played a bunch of shows in another band with some pg. 99 side project (can't remember the name right now) and circle takes the square.

yo soy el mejor 04-16-2015 09:24 PM

i used that sebadoh album to make a short film with my friend julie over the summer after 8th grade. at first i was just recording a rock with a face and had her speaking into my video camera mic over the phone. but she ended up coming over to my father's apartment for us to finish. and that's just a really fun memory i have of us together.

we finished the film, too. at one part i put the rock on the back of the couch while she wore a jacket on her head so the rock looked liked her head. and i kept cracking up because her hands kept moving to make sure it didn't fall on her.

vixnix 04-16-2015 09:52 PM

I only listened to it because my boyfriend at the time had brought it over, I pretty much only liked that song...and I never read the lyrics in the liner notes so I thought it was "I don't wanna be the one last flame" and in my stoned stupor I was all like yeah man, profound. so that turned out to be disappointing. But later when I did read the notes my disappointment was mitigated by the number of times Lou Barlow thanked lynard skynard

yo soy el mejor 04-16-2015 10:00 PM

christian emo \m/

yo soy el mejor 04-16-2015 10:15 PM

is this emo?

it is emotionally charged. so ya know...

MusicMan4 04-16-2015 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slunken (Post 4178859)

are there even examples of this besides wes eisold?

vixnix 04-16-2015 10:37 PM

Probably the more interested you get in recording the less songwriting you're doing...I know that happened to my husband, he did a year of audio engineering so that he could buy equipment with his inheritance and record his band, but in the end his obsession with sound quality destroyed his urge to write songs. And his band broke up because of drugs and uni work, etc. And now he loves really crazy sounding noise and electronica

slunken 04-17-2015 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aeris Hilton (Post 4179013)
are there even examples of this besides wes eisold?

I feel as if a lot of people tend to hide their screams pasts

toase 04-17-2015 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yo soy el mejor (Post 4179003)
christian emo \m/

I love pedro the lion
they are emo right?
is slowcore emo?
is pedro slowcore?

this thread messes with my head

redbull 04-17-2015 07:54 PM

i would classify pedro as emo but probably not bazan solo