Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Happy birthday Jimmy C! (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=187373)

Ram27 06-10-2019 11:11 AM

Happy birthday Jimmy C!

amoergosum 06-10-2019 11:21 AM

johncg 06-10-2019 12:33 PM

“Happy birthday, you impress me”

aka me and my opinion of you take center stage even during a simple fucking birthday greeting. Look how nice and selfless I’m being everybody. We are a big happy family!

amoergosum 06-10-2019 01:47 PM

NovaFritz 06-10-2019 03:35 PM

“Jimmy is a destructive human being, and people who are destructive break things.”

paranoid 06-10-2019 05:33 PM

Yeah I dunno I think the idea of billy making this about him is a bit of a stretch.

FoolofaTook 06-10-2019 05:43 PM

ur dad's a bit of a stretch

johncg 06-10-2019 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paranoid (Post 4510122)
Yeah I dunno I think the idea of billy making this about him is a bit of a stretch.

A respectful and affirming birthday greeting would be something that celebrates the person as a human being rather than an object of admiration. Also, by making someone an object of our admiration we by default put ourselves above them by taking the role of judge of what is worthy of admiration.

Generally I wouldn’t read into a simple greeting that much but this is Billy “I deserve to be in conversation about the great artists of the 20th century” Corgan we are talking about. He clearly has his head up his ass and he has no public track record of treating his friends and collaborators with any respect whatsoever.

Keep up, grasshopper.

bright_doom 06-10-2019 07:12 PM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JIMMY!

johncg 06-10-2019 09:21 PM

Bahahahahahahhaa

paranoid 06-10-2019 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johncg (Post 4510125)
A respectful and affirming birthday greeting would be something that celebrates the person as a human being rather than an object of admiration. Also, by making someone an object of our admiration we by default put ourselves above them by taking the role of judge of what is worthy of admiration.

Generally I wouldn’t read into a simple greeting that much but this is Billy “I deserve to be in conversation about the great artists of the 20th century” Corgan we are talking about. He clearly has his head up his ass and he has no public track record of treating his friends and collaborators with any respect whatsoever.

Keep up, grasshopper.

You’re reading way too much into it. Chill out.

wHATcOLOR 06-10-2019 11:13 PM

came here to make the joke but bright_doom beat me to it. love it man!! hahaha

Mals Marola 06-10-2019 11:19 PM

#WhiteVanWarriors

Corgan's Bluff 06-11-2019 12:08 AM

Happy Birthday, Jimmy!

From your old bandmates of Eddie Korosa jr., polka party-animal...:rofl:

russticles 06-11-2019 02:41 AM

I've been frequenting this forum for years and I still don't get the "white van" reference... can someone enlighten me, please?

Also, happy birthday Jimmy! 55 and his playing (at least on this current live tour) is still so inventive and powerful, good to see he's still playing from his gut and pushing himself instead of taking it easy. Wish the same could be said about SAOSB Vol 1.

amoergosum 06-11-2019 02:52 AM

trev 06-11-2019 03:08 AM

guess that means no cake for jimmy

bright_doom 06-11-2019 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by russticles (Post 4510188)
I've been frequenting this forum for years and I still don't get the "white van" reference... can someone enlighten me, please?

Also, happy birthday Jimmy! 55 and his playing (at least on this current live tour) is still so inventive and powerful, good to see he's still playing from his gut and pushing himself instead of taking it easy. Wish the same could be said about SAOSB Vol 1.

Rolling stone interview with Billy from February/March 2010, more specifically, after Widow Wake My Mind was released but before A Stitch In Time was released. I still have this magazine somewhere..

Quote:

When Chamberlin and Corgan hit the road on a so-called 20th-anniversary tour in late 2008, fans started asking the same question. Dressed in long, shiny robes, Corgan played sets that were nearly four hours long, padded by a 25-minute cover of Pink Floyd’s “Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun,” spiced with electronic bird calls. Fans walked out as Corgan berated them from the stage. “It was like burning a bridge, and I’m really good at burning bridges,” Corgan says, smiling. “It was crazy — violent like I haven’t seen in a long time. The dialogues with fans, they got contentious.”

Afterward, Corgan fired Chamberlin — though the drummer halfheartedly suggests that he might have quit. Until he had his first child seven years ago, Chamberlin was a heroin addict — Corgan first fired him in 1996 after touring keyboardist Jonathan Melvoin died while partying with him on tour one night. Chamberlin is sober now, but Corgan is convinced that his character hasn’t changed, that he is fundamentally “unhealthy.” “Jimmy is a destructive human being, and people who are destructive break things,” Corgan says. “I don’t see me reaching the highest levels of my creativity if I’m unhealthy and if I have unhealthy people around me. Every time Jimmy didn’t show up for a week in the studio, I made it about me. Any time James Iha was off in a corner somewhere not paying any fucking attention, I made it about me.” After Corgan told Chamberlin he was out, the drummer “unloaded” on Corgan, unleashing 20 years worth of pent-up insults. “So I was like, ‘Fuck you,’ ” Corgan recalls. “ ’Go ride around in a white van for the rest of your life.’ ”
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...re-233690/amp/

bright_doom 06-11-2019 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corgan's Bluff (Post 4510177)
Happy Birthday, Jimmy!

From your old bandmates of Eddie Korosa jr., polka party-animal...:rofl:

Love the host!

johncg 06-12-2019 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amoergosum (Post 4510189)

Doesn’t even get his dude a birthday cake. Come on, bill.

NovaFritz 06-12-2019 10:33 AM

It is also a classist insult in the UK. From wikipedia:

" 'White van man' is a stereotype used in the United Kingdom for a smaller-sized commercial van driver, typically perceived as a selfish, inconsiderate driver who is mostly petit bourgeois and often aggressive. According to this stereotype, the 'white van man' is typically an independent tradesperson, such as a builder, plumber or locksmith, self-employed, or running a small enterprise, for whom driving a commercial vehicle is not their main line of business, as it would be for a professional freight-driver."

Corgan's Bluff 06-12-2019 12:06 PM

...Would fit to his job as a self tought carpenter before he joined the Pumpkins:

"Chamberlin left home at age 15[10] and joined a series of local bands.[6] Although his early music career proved profitable, Chamberlin's father pressured him into going to college. In 1994, Chamberlin revealed that he had been estranged from his father for seven years.[10] After three years with the show band JP and the Cats, Chamberlin, wearied by the touring schedule, quit and got a job building custom homes with his brother-in-law.[6] Before long, he joined the Smashing Pumpkins." (Wikipedia)

Shadaloo 06-12-2019 03:13 PM

It's all a lie

Billy knows that Jimmy was never born

FOR A MACHINE IS CREATED

Cool As Ice Cream 06-13-2019 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wHATcOLOR (Post 4510164)
came here to make the joke but bright_doom beat me to it. love it man!! hahaha

same.

T&T 06-13-2019 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bright_doom (Post 4510129)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JIMMY!

I'd love to upgrade my band to a white van status. That IS a nice van.

FoolofaTook 06-13-2019 08:07 AM

yeah my uncle drives one of those. it's for his painting business. it's pretty sweet. don't see how that is an insult to anyone other than an aristocratic doofus-head.

behived 06-13-2019 09:29 AM

Jimmy got a cake on stage, so you can stop bitchin about that :)
We sung happy birthday 2 times: crowd started singing it when the band members were introduced by James Iha, and then again when the cake was brought on stage just before the encore.

Mals Marola 06-13-2019 10:51 AM

Mals Marola 06-13-2019 10:53 AM

the white van talk was more like "have fun downgrading from these PIMPED-OUT BUSES with beds & bus attendants and all that other crazy bus stuff you don't hear about in the world of paupers"

Corgan's Bluff 06-13-2019 12:22 PM

When Billy tries to ride a white van...:erm:

...already on the third of thirty days.