Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   General Chat Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   cooking (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=182954)

reprise85 07-31-2015 02:28 PM

cooking

Not sure what's gotten into me, but I all of a sudden got an urge to start preparing food that takes more than 5 minutes. Nothing too challenging or that requires a million spices that cost $5 each (1 or 2 is ok). So last night I prepared oatmeal with plain yogurt and blueberries, left overnight in the fridge. How come I never knew you could make oatmeal this way? Super good.

Tomorrow I'm going to pick up what I need for these:
Mushroom Spinach and Swiss French Bread Pizzas

One Pot Chili Pasta

Part of it is because I need to stop eating our as much because I'm way too fat and also poor. But another part of it just sort of clicked in my brain and I was like... fuck yeah, I want to cook! I dunno.

I like that site because it tells you exactly how much each thing costs to make and suggests variations. Like I might just use cheddar on those pizzas instead of buying swiss cheese, or whatever I decide to use in the chili. And for the chili, I have canned corn and ground turkey, so I will use those.

Anyone have suggestions or want to share what they've been cooking?

Eulogy 07-31-2015 02:35 PM

My suggestion would be to not use cheddar on that pizza. Something about that seems real off (and I love cheddar).

I've always been lazy in the kitchen. I also never really acquired any skills. We did get a crock pot for Christmas and I've been wanting to use that more because it's easy and seems mostly idiot proof. Perhaps we'll pick up some stuff this weekend. I'll keep you all posted.

reprise85 07-31-2015 02:48 PM

it does seem off but i'm cheap. but i make a lot of sandwiches so i may spring for the swiss anyway.

I bought a crock pot a while ago, but I have a problem with leaving something running while I'm not home. I know it's irrational and it's supposed to be used that way. But I think I'm just a bit traumatized by my car on fire accident and can't do it. I gave the crock pot away. Maybe one day.

And yes, keep us updated

Order 66 07-31-2015 06:00 PM

lately i've been getting into stir fry.

current daily dish is broccoli, snow peas, carrot slices and mushrooms, sometimes with chicken dices... about 2 tablespoons of terriyaki sauce, spray-on canola oil and a spatter of ginger. if i've been good on my diet i'll put it on white rice

pretty tasty for something under 500 calories

slunken 07-31-2015 08:58 PM

reprise85 07-31-2015 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Order 66 (Post 4208057)
lately i've been getting into stir fry.

current daily dish is broccoli, snow peas, carrot slices and mushrooms, sometimes with chicken dices... about 2 tablespoons of terriyaki sauce, spray-on canola oil and a spatter of ginger. if i've been good on my diet i'll put it on white rice

pretty tasty for something under 500 calories

that sounds yummy.

vixnix 08-01-2015 08:13 AM

I used to love cooking but now it's just a chore.

I cook oatmeal and then some kind of eggs most mornings, and cook dinner most nights, and pack school lunches 5 days a week.

I'm really over it right now.

LaBelle 08-01-2015 08:23 AM

I hate cooking when it's just for myself.
Now that I have a new roommate, I'm actually looking forward to cooking and trying new dishes.

I made pancakes with cheese and bacon IN the dough the other day, people really liked it.

pavementtune 08-01-2015 08:28 AM

I learned that you can heat pizza on a water boiler today.
already had some experience with making frozen pizza with the help of candles and a hair dryer.

cooking like a pro!

Ihaguitar 08-01-2015 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slunken (Post 4208094)

I know what you mean.

ilikeplanets 08-01-2015 09:25 AM

I want to learn to make potstickers/dumplings

reprise85 08-01-2015 12:18 PM

picked up most everything at aldi, but they didn't have some stuff, or for example you could only buy 3lbs of onions. i dont even really like them and i'm not even going to use the full amount it says to in the recipe. many overkill. such onion. wow.

Dogfighter28 08-01-2015 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihaguitar (Post 4208172)
I know what you mean.

coldestrose 08-01-2015 03:26 PM

I always seem to fall into a rut with recipes, always making the same ones over and over. One I really liked though which was quick was a cauliflower dish. I'm sure there's a lot you could do with it, but when I was at my laziest I would marinate half a cauliflower head (cut up into pieces) in olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, scallions and a little bit of salt and pepper and throw it in the oven at 425 for 15 minutes. If I was feeling healthy I'd just throw some sriracha on it while eating, but most of the time I'd grate cheddar cheese on top when it was done cooking. Parmesan tastes good on it too. I'd make it the night before for a quick lunch the next day.

coldestrose 08-01-2015 03:27 PM

I would eat it as a main meal a lot, but it would also work well as a side dish

Ihaguitar 08-01-2015 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogfighter28 (Post 4208185)

Know what I'm sayin'? :D

reprise85 08-01-2015 08:44 PM

I made the pizzas! They are cooling. They look awesome. I also made Lemon Pepper Zucchini (http://www.budgetbytes.com/2015/06/l...pper-zucchini/) which was excellent. I ate half and have half still ready to cook for tomorrow.

I feel really accomplished right now. This is 30.

Order 66 08-01-2015 09:24 PM

congraturation

hnibos 08-01-2015 09:24 PM

How's your ear?

yo soy el mejor 08-01-2015 09:43 PM

i poached chicken with cumin, ancho chile powder, salt, peppercorn, garlic, and onion and then shredded the meat for tacos with avocado, raw chopped onion, and lime (and hot sauce). i forgot to buy cilantro.

there's always leftover meat for tacos rill quick.

reprise85 08-01-2015 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hnibos (Post 4208244)
How's your ear?

I think it's actually a little better today. Still not able to hear well enough to do much but any progress is good. Can't wait for Friday.

Quote:

Originally Posted by yo soy el mejor (Post 4208247)
i poached chicken with cumin, ancho chile powder, salt, peppercorn, garlic, and onion and then shredded the meat for tacos with avocado, raw chopped onion, and lime (and hot sauce). i forgot to buy cilantro.

there's always leftover meat for tacos rill quick.

ms. fancy pants chef over here. not a fan of raw onion/hot sauce/cilantro but im sure it's really good to people who like it. showing my whiteness i guess

hnibos 08-01-2015 10:07 PM

Never understood what people find unappealing about hot sauce. Grow some cajones, guey

reprise85 08-01-2015 10:19 PM

i dont like it being hot? i dont like things very spicy, it doesn't taste good when it's overpowered by feeling like your mouth is on fire. for me. obviously many other people like it

Ihaguitar 08-02-2015 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reprise85 (Post 4208264)
i dont like it being hot? i dont like things very spicy, it doesn't taste good when it's overpowered by feeling like your mouth is on fire. for me. obviously many other people like it

I find it much like listening through the fuzz on an SP track.

Sonic Johnny 08-02-2015 05:07 AM

I made some corn bread the other day. It wasn't the best but I was my first crack. Had it with a fried egg, half an avocado, but of fried haloumi and some black beans. Good times.

yo soy el mejor 08-02-2015 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reprise85 (Post 4208252)
I think it's actually a little better today. Still not able to hear well enough to do much but any progress is good. Can't wait for Friday.

ms. fancy pants chef over here. not a fan of raw onion/hot sauce/cilantro but im sure it's really good to people who like it. showing my whiteness i guess

what what what! it's not fancy at all. all i gotta do is put chicken in a pan and put all spices mentioned on top. then pour on boiling water and turn on the heat until it boils once more and then let it simmer for 20 minutes. it's actually a mixture of two recipes - one for poached/shredded chicken for enchiladas (among other things) but using the spices from another (the latter recipe calling for an hour to simmer after browning the meat on both sides).

in the meantime, get your taco fixins ready. after that all you need to do is wait so you can shred the meat. /chomp

a wide variety of spices is muy importante in any kitchen.

yo soy el mejor 08-02-2015 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hnibos (Post 4208257)
Never understood what people find unappealing about hot sauce. Grow some cajones, guey

it's no good until your nose starts to run.

reprise85 08-02-2015 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yo soy el mejor (Post 4208302)
what what what! it's not fancy at all. all i gotta do is put chicken in a pan and put all spices mentioned on top. then pour on boiling water and turn on the heat until it boils once more and then let it simmer for 20 minutes. it's actually a mixture of two recipes - one for poached/shredded chicken for enchiladas (among other things) but using the spices from another (the latter recipe calling for an hour to simmer after browning the meat on both sides).

in the meantime, get your taco fixins ready. after that all you need to do is wait so you can shred the meat. /chomp

a wide variety of spices is muy importante in any kitchen.

now that you explain how you make it it doesn't seem that fancy but still, out of my skill level for now. yeah, i'm getting the spices as i use them. right now all i have is salt, lemon pepper, and chili (the mild kind).

reprise85 08-02-2015 12:21 PM

I made the chili! It's really good. Next time I might add some more chili powder. I give it an A-. The pot I got from goodwill for $6 was the perfect size

ohnoitsbonnie 08-02-2015 05:00 PM

Is that elbow macaroni?