Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   Pumpkins Archive (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Inkless Original Mix appreciation thread (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=186691)

redbreegull 09-16-2018 05:43 PM

Inkless Original Mix appreciation thread

never even seen this mentioned 'til Shadaloo brought it to my attention the other day. apparently this was the b-side to The Celestials. It's a very raw, hot mix of Inkless which blows the album version out of the water (I'm thinking the master made the whole album sound a bit more muffled and less hot than this).

Unfortunately the rawer mix still can't fix how awkward and wrong Mike Byrne's drumming is especially during the bridge/solo part, but this takes a mediocre to good song and makes it sound like a fuckin awesome one. another victim of billy's production

Funbags 09-16-2018 10:06 PM

It's in mono?

This song would be great with Jimmy tbh

redbreegull 09-16-2018 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funbags (Post 4463886)
It's in mono?

This song would be great with Jimmy tbh

I know. That's exactly what I said... it would be interesting to revisit a track like this with the correct drummer there. Mike's work in this song is just embarrassingly out of place

MyKeyZ 09-16-2018 10:19 PM

Wow, this is surprisingly good. Way better than the album version. If only Billy could stop ruining songs when it comes to their album release. If only Jimmy drummed on this.

Billy needs to go back and just record these songs with JC and make sure the production is raw. Then he'll have something.

MyKeyZ 09-16-2018 10:21 PM

Does anyone have a lossless rip of this?

redbreegull 09-16-2018 10:21 PM

I have no idea if it is supposed to be in mono or if the uploader did something wrong. I don't know where else to listen to this track since spotify doesn't have the single

Zer0 Hour 09-16-2018 10:49 PM

This is really great. I’ve always loved this song; it’s probably my favorite off of Oceania and this raw track makes it even better. You can hear all the guitar licks a lot better. Would be amazing if they were to re-record it with Jimmy.

Shadaloo 09-16-2018 11:31 PM

You are most welcome. Gotta admit, I've been revisiting it every now and then too.

BurtSampson 09-16-2018 11:49 PM

Mike Byrne did not deserve to be anywhere near professional recording equipment. Fucking awful drummer.

Shadaloo 09-16-2018 11:51 PM

Maybe in a few months once I get a proper setup I'll see about getting a lossless rip done if it hasn't been by then. Single's cheap as hell.

Funbags 09-17-2018 12:03 AM

If Billy would spend an afternoon ripping through some Oceania tracks with Jimmy in the studio, I'd buy it.

ninsp 09-17-2018 12:15 AM

Corgan being buried in the mix sounds great

VoxUpDoc 09-17-2018 02:56 AM

This is upsetting.

Vocals sound a million times better buried beneath the guitar.

It also sounds way louder because of it, negating any need for “loud-at-any-volume” clipping.

But Bill says it’s the modern way, and he’a had SUCH fucking success selling records by floating his vocals over the last 15 years. So he should know.
Nothing to do with his own ego, no sir.

amoergosum 09-17-2018 03:31 AM

Strong Zwan vibes.

The drums sound awful though...it's so two-dimensional all the time.

Billy should let Jimmy re-record all drum tracks.

https://i.imgur.com/Qpdb5Je.png

RenewRevive 09-17-2018 06:26 AM

Good find. Therein lies a major problem with Billy. He can listen to this and think it needs more polish and the vocals brought out in the mix :think:

It's like with Machina 2. Corgan is correct obviously in saying that it was released in an unfinished state. But what will he regard as finished? He'll ruin the songs if he drenches them in production. I mean, Speed Kills on M2 is a good song but the only version to get an official release (either as a bonus track on the Japanese version of Machina, or possibly a b-side to the SIYL single, forget which) is overdone IMO.

Pizza Club 09-17-2018 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyKeyZ (Post 4463891)
Does anyone have a lossless rip of this?

Yes, I ripped this when it came out originally. I have to look for it.

ninsp 09-17-2018 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woody (Post 4463916)
This is upsetting.

Vocals sound a million times better buried beneath the guitar.

It also sounds way louder because of it, negating any need for “loud-at-any-volume” clipping.

But Bill says it’s the modern way, and he’a had SUCH fucking success selling records by floating his vocals over the last 15 years. So he should know.
Nothing to do with his own ego, no sir.

Yeah it pretty much just proves to me that the talent is still there

Current Pumpkins issues are totally self inflicted because of his ego and obsession with being relevant again

NovaFritz 09-17-2018 09:40 AM

I don't think Byrne's drums sound that bad. Though certainly Chamberlin would sound better.

Maybe they should re-record this with the "new" lineup. Pass it as a new track. No one would notice, cuz only 3 or 4 people actually bought Oceania (according to Bruce Corgan).

Mals Marola 09-17-2018 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RenewRevive (Post 4463925)
It's like with Machina 2. Corgan is correct obviously in saying that it was released in an unfinished state. But what will he regard as finished? He'll ruin the songs if he drenches them in production. I mean, Speed Kills on M2 is a good song but the only version to get an official release (either as a bonus track on the Japanese version of Machina, or possibly a b-side to the SIYL single, forget which) is overdone IMO.

horrible example. Speed Kills is an era highlight, specifically the version from the SIYL single

Blue Skies Bring Tears, however, was truly ambushed in the studio. That Arising version trumps all

brothahi4L 09-17-2018 12:07 PM

Song is crap. - WE can how Jimmy lifted up Silvery with his great fills.

Inkless is just bad - boring

brothahi4L 09-17-2018 12:09 PM

re-record a recorded album? oceania was a disaster - don´t blame byrne u idiots.
Billy writes the songs.

SPLATTER 09-17-2018 12:13 PM

that song is unlistenable

SomaPhreak 09-17-2018 02:03 PM

Burn down the sun

This "hot" version is a lot better than the Oceania version. The "wall of guitar" sound is satisfying, and the vocals benefit from being buried.

Zer0 Hour 09-17-2018 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brothahi4L (Post 4463972)
Song is crap. - WE can how Jimmy lifted up Silvery with his great fills.

Inkless is just bad - boring

I'd take either version of Inkless over Silvery Sucktimes any day.

VoxUpDoc 09-17-2018 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zer0 Hour (Post 4463993)

Careful guys, there’s an edgy Oceania fan over here.

MyKeyZ 09-17-2018 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zer0 Hour (Post 4463993)

Honestly, I can believe I'm saying this, but I agree. And I ain't an Oceania fan by any means.

Mals Marola 09-17-2018 04:33 PM

That weird little MBV-ish compressed guitar around the 2-minute mark is sweet as hell, did that even make it to the album version? Cos I don't remember it at all, if so, but ya this is a bit more flattering to the song than the album mix in general I suppose, which I guess even boll-boll couldn't deny considering it got an official release

RAWK 09-17-2018 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brothahi4L (Post 4463973)
re-record a recorded album? oceania was a disaster - don´t blame byrne u idiots.
Billy writes the songs.

Truth. People said this about Solara. That the mix was bad and that's all that was wrong with it. No, the mix doesn't make a poorly written song suddenly good.

FoolofaTook 09-17-2018 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woody (Post 4464001)
Careful guys, there’s an edgy Oceania fan over here.

http://i.imgur.com/q8CsvsH.jpg

houseofglass11 09-17-2018 06:57 PM

Best song on Oceania. Just sounds like a mono mix. I thought Byrnes drums were ok on it.