Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   The Formula & What's next? (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=186674)

SPfan79 09-13-2018 12:16 PM

The Formula & What's next?

The formula is Corgan, Jimmy, Jmasesand D'arcy. Has to be for any sustained momentum from this past year.
After the Shiny Tour, where can they go? They won't return to arenas ever again without new hits/D'arcy/RNR HOF induction.

Solara and now Silvery are just letdowns. Almost like a car stalling out. Just can't quite get back to solid material. Agree/disagree?

Interested in hearing people's opinions on this.

Shadaloo 09-13-2018 12:30 PM

They're riding a good wave of buzz right now and outside of this forum the response to Solara has been lukewarm ranging to mild interest. IMO Silvery's a way better track and it's going to generate some good buzz for the band. Music video should be out closer to the song's release than Solara's was, so that will help.

New album in November according to that BBC broadcast.

D'Arcy coming back is wishful thinking unless Bill swallows his pride. James alone being a part of this again is giving the performances and songs the kick in the ass they've needed for a long time and it's a promising start.

In terms of popularity it's never going to be 1995 again, and that's not happening for any active rock band, but they could easily get up to Foo Fighters levels of respectable concert attendances and output if they just keep their shit together, play the hits and Bill doesn't force people to sit through entire new records live again.

SPfan79 09-13-2018 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadaloo (Post 4462903)
They're riding a good wave of buzz right now and outside of this forum the response to Solara has been lukewarm ranging to mild interest. IMO Silvery's a way better track and it's going to generate some good buzz for the band. Music video should be out closer to the song's release than Solara's was, so that will help.

New album in November according to that BBC broadcast.

D'Arcy coming back is wishful thinking unless Bill swallows his pride. James alone being a part of this again is giving the performances and songs the kick in the ass they've needed for a long time and it's a promising start.

In terms of popularity it's never going to be 1995 again, and that's not happening for any active rock band, but they could easily get up to Foo Fighters levels of respectable concert attendances and output if they just keep their shit together, play the hits and Bill doesn't force people to sit through entire new records live again.

I hope they can too. There is a huge void in Rock to say the least. I hope they don't lose James or Jimmy going forward. That would be bad, haha

SPfan79 09-17-2018 10:49 AM

Wow this post has not aged well haha. Silvery after more listens is a great song. Easily shoots up the list of post Machina works. Very interested now for the other tracks. Glad James is there creatively with the guys.

Mals Marola 09-17-2018 12:39 PM

Yeah Silvery ain't great but it's about as top tier as SP2 has gotten so far, top 10 or 15 at least

Oklahoma Sexual 09-17-2018 02:02 PM

what's next is james says no to anything else. this new "album" is the last thing they'll release. the cash grab jig is up. one final farewell. it's already over

dustrocck 09-17-2018 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oklahoma Sexual (Post 4463979)
what's next is james says no to anything else. this new "album" is the last thing they'll release. the cash grab jig is up. one final farewell. it's already over

This is probably correct and I think it would have jived with Billy's original discussions about playing a few songs to find a single, ending up liking 8 tracks, and then probably releasing a couple of EPs.

I'd guess originally it would have been 1 EP for the North American tour, the 2nd for the European tour.

Then Billy starts talking about plans changing and now it's an album and now we see it's Vol. 1.

I wonder if Jimmy and James had a good enough time that they signed on for 1 more album and 1 more tour next summer.

enthusaroo 09-18-2018 04:39 AM

Silvery just fucking sucks.. I don't understand how anyone can say it's a good song.

Corgan's Bluff 09-18-2018 05:02 AM

Maybe Billy started with convincing the other bandmates to do a single.
Then he brought Rubin in to help to blow it up to two EP's.
At last he succeeded with an LP format record, telling it would be more useful as a release.

Woody 09-18-2018 05:59 AM

The idea Jimmy takes 6 song ideas to Billy and Bill shoots them down, after the massacred tracks he’s put out under the banner SP over the last 10 years, is quite something.

I can see Billy sticking around but James seems totally disinterested... well hard to tell as Bill kept talking and talking. His “I don’t remember” quip totally undercut Bill.

eviltimeban 09-18-2018 06:18 AM

If he was bringing in things like Loki Cat then it is indeed a shame.