Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   General Chat Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   help my mom is voting for joe biden (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=187726)

reprise85 02-28-2020 02:46 PM

help my mom is voting for joe biden

she thinks he's more electable then berdie sanders. even though she acknowledges the main issue is voting participation and wants whoever has the best chance of winning.

what is wrong with old people. she doesn't appear to be able to be swayed. but last week she was considering bloomberg LOL so there's progress

buzzard 02-28-2020 03:24 PM

Is she wrong about Biden's elecability, though?

It's really too hard to tell from outside of the relevant region, but I am given at least the impression that centrists might be wary of old Bernard. On top of that is the apparent fact that the Russians are pushing his campaign, seemingly more confident of Trump's chances against him.

topleybird 02-28-2020 03:56 PM

Look, everybody wants their grandpa to be president, even if Pop-Pop is racist, sexist, frequently confused, and making up weird stories. We all love Grampy's hugs and unsolicited backrubs

ilikeplanets 02-28-2020 03:57 PM

You guys are in one of the only states where voting actually matters, so don't let her fuck it up

run2pee 02-28-2020 03:57 PM

Fucken biden. Not impressed

topleybird 02-28-2020 04:27 PM

Wait, is Mama reprise in Florida? I had no idea that Bloomberg is actually a viable candidate there. That's lovely. That's just lovely.

I wonder if the Sanders camp can essentially do a wellness check on your mom, just send some concerned canvassers over there and radicalize her.

buzzard 02-28-2020 04:32 PM

Is Biden kind of like your Prince Philip, then?

At this point, you could convince me to vote for a literal turd over Trump. We just need to find the best one and I'm behind it.

topleybird 02-28-2020 05:52 PM

I think a fair few people felt that way, myself included, until Bloomberg entered the race, and suddenly it dawned on us that just "not Trump" might not be acceptable, either

Like obviously I have to vote against Trump no matter what, I can't write in George Costanza or some shit and help him win — it's just, with a few of these candidates, it feels like one of those moral quandaries they pose to Philosophy majors

duovamp 02-28-2020 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reprise85 (Post 4531430)
she thinks he's more electable then berdie sanders. even though she acknowledges the main issue is voting participation and wants whoever has the best chance of winning.

what is wrong with old people. she doesn't appear to be able to be swayed. but last week she was considering bloomberg LOL so there's progress

It’ll be okay.

buzzard 02-28-2020 09:54 PM

What's the deal with B'berg, anyway?

I could use some sort of Netphorian summary.

reprise85 02-28-2020 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by topleybird (Post 4531437)
Wait, is Mama reprise in Florida? I had no idea that Bloomberg is actually a viable candidate there. That's lovely. That's just lovely.

I wonder if the Sanders camp can essentially do a wellness check on your mom, just send some concerned canvassers over there and radicalize her.

yes both mama and baby reprise are in florida

and i can't believe he's a viable candidate either, wtf

reprise85 02-28-2020 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buzzard (Post 4531431)

It's really too hard to tell from outside of the relevant region, but I am given at least the impression that centrists might be wary of old Bernard. On top of that is the apparent fact that the Russians are pushing his campaign, seemingly more confident of Trump's chances against him.

I mean, in a way Bernie people will mostly never vote for Trump (at least not this time), while it's possible if Biden doesn't get the nomination some idiots may prefer Trump over Sanders.

I did not think my mom was a centrist but I guess she is after all.

reprise85 02-28-2020 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duovamp (Post 4531449)
It’ll be okay.

NO IT FUCKING WON'T. FUCK YOU

reprise85 02-28-2020 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buzzard (Post 4531454)
What's the deal with B'berg, anyway?

I could use some sort of Netphorian summary.

i really don't understand it either

qwerty sp 02-29-2020 03:15 AM

Say what you will, he’s the ONLY candidate running on a “No Malarky” platform.

Elphenor 02-29-2020 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buzzard (Post 4531431)

wanted to rep but must spread rep

Biden has no enthusiasm, that's so dangerous against Trump, I get the notion establishment Democrats would prefer Trump to Bernie though

reprise85 02-29-2020 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elphenor (Post 4531465)
wanted to rep but must spread rep

Biden has no enthusiasm, that's so dangerous against Trump, I get the notion establishment Democrats would prefer Trump to Bernie though

Yeah that was my big point, nobody is excited about Biden. Young people will not come out for him like they will for Sanders

redbreegull 02-29-2020 10:34 AM

there is actually no real way to measure electability so no one really knows whether Biden or Sanders would motivate more turnout or depress turnout. it's pretty much just a guessing game of whether whatever demographics will activate versus whichever ones will refuse to hold their noses and stay home.

my dad likes Sanders but thinks Biden has a better shot at winning. I asked him why, and he said 6 decades of watching leftist candidates lose in the united states. so it's hard to argue with that.

vixnix 02-29-2020 01:47 PM

From afar, Biden looks like H Clinton 2.0, which at face value seems like a bad idea

Elphenor 02-29-2020 01:51 PM

if Bernie gets a plurality and the superdelegates nominate someone else, can we all agree that's going to be a disaster

that's not to say that Bernie didn't try the same move against Hillary

redbreegull 02-29-2020 02:47 PM

ftr I believe Bernie is in a better position, but it's hard to say. I don't know any conservative midwestern Democrats so I can't really say how many of them will refuse to vote for Sanders. And unfortunately pollsters don't really ask those kinds of questions

duovamp 02-29-2020 03:05 PM

I'm all in on Liz because she's smart as fuck. I don't give a shit about anything else.

I'm also fine with Pete and Bernie, and if I have to vote for Joe then I'll be voting for Joe.

vixnix 02-29-2020 07:54 PM

Hopefully everyone agrees with you...

topleybird 03-02-2020 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duovamp (Post 4531494)
I'm also fine with Pete and Bernie

Thought hard about it this morning and I've changed my vote to Pete

FoolofaTook 03-02-2020 10:28 AM

Hopefully everyone agrees with you...

topleybird 03-02-2020 04:25 PM

I see my beloved Petey has thrown in the towel, so my vote is up for grabs again

I'm sure Pete's nemesis Kobluchar is feeling fantastic, reenergized, and ready to regain some momentum today, so I'm throwing in with her

MplsTaper 03-02-2020 04:56 PM

In 2016 I voted for Bern in the primary and Hil in the general. I did not want to vote for her but god damn it I did anyway. Once again I will vote for the D nominee even if I would rather vote for someone else.

Coworker: I could not morally vote for Hilary so I voted for Jill.

Me: Oh yeah? Neat story, your grandchildren will be so proud.

ovary 03-02-2020 07:21 PM

reprise85 03-02-2020 08:55 PM

so he's ok at piano and sucks at everything else, got it

smashingjj 03-03-2020 06:12 AM

from what I gather Bernie is the only one with viable plans for the climate / health care systems / against trump. and I have also read stuff where it seems again that the dnc will do anything to prevent Bernie from winning, so if warren loses she'll support Biden etc. hearsay, of course.

seems like it'll be Bernie or trump.