Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   Pumpkins Archive (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Jimmy misses the mark on Solara. (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=186482)

fuzzyroes 07-02-2018 10:06 PM

Jimmy misses the mark on Solara.

Initially I thought that the song sucked but that Jimmy rocked it. But the more i listen, the more I think Chamberlin detracts from the song.

It's supposed to be a grungy sludge type of song but Jimmy sounds like he's jumping out of his sneakers. Jimmy always shined the brightest when his skill was showcased with tasteful nuanced parts. Of course there's always awesome times to go balls to the wall, but there needs to be a complimentary balance. Not every song calls for a Geek USA showcase and certainly not Solara.

As a huge Jimmy fan it's rare that he misses the mark, but I think he did pretty brutally on this track. Hopefully it's not a sign of things to come with the rest of the new music.

reprise85 07-02-2018 10:11 PM

pretty sure corgan told him to go apeshit so the kids know he's behind the kit. cuz reunion.

Funbags 07-02-2018 10:12 PM

Jimmy sounds best with lots of room mics. The production on Solara sounds like drum samples.

fuzzyroes 07-02-2018 10:16 PM

Absolutely, the mixing of the drums certainly doesn't do him any favors on this track.

His parts sounded a helluva lot better live. But even so, I don't really think he's on the mark regarding the vibe of the song.

fuzzyroes 07-02-2018 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reprise85 (Post 4446807)
pretty sure corgan told him to go apeshit so the kids know he's behind the kit. cuz reunion.

haha I didn't really think of that, but that very likely could've played a role. After all, it's the first new music with Jimmy, it probably wouldn't have been good marketing if he had a subdued part.

russticles 07-03-2018 12:05 AM

There's not a whole lot of anything else going on within the song so I'm glad Jimmy "over plays" on it and pushes it and makes it a bit more interesting. I think the chorus needs those busy drums, there's no other counter-pointing parts to the vocal/guitar so makes sense to me. He's not really getting in the way either.

But yeah drum production could've sounded better/livelier. Rubin's dry drum sound doesn't serve him as well... regardless, still sounds like my boy jim jim <3

BurtSampson 07-03-2018 01:22 AM

I’ve said it here before but when I showed my friend Solara and he heard that fill (that dull as fuck snare fill) after the first chorus, he said “man they really need to get Jimmy back that sucked”

Ihaguitar 07-03-2018 01:43 AM

He's trying too hard.

Kumar Littlejeans 07-03-2018 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funbags (Post 4446811)
Jimmy sounds best with lots of room mics. The production on Solara sounds like drum samples.

This is it, yeah. It’s just a weird frequency range for his drums to exist in. The playing is fine, I think the song is fine, it works... but it feels like his typically deep penetrating drums kinda glide over the top of the track and are all treble. It’d Be nice to have a hifi legit version of the track to base my opinion on but nooooooo

incubator 07-03-2018 05:41 AM

His playing on it sucks completely but that's fine. This really aint the sort of music that Jimmy enjoys listening to or playing + he's gotta get back into the pumpkins mindset and rediscover his pumpkins style. He's been pushing his jazz stuff for a while and becoming some polyrhythmic super beast and then Billy shows him this track... err Billy what the fuck am I supposed to do over this ? it was either kick snare kick kick snare or have some fun wanking over the thing

amoergosum 07-03-2018 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by incubator (Post 4446908)
His playing on it sucks completely but that's fine. This really aint the sort of music that Jimmy enjoys listening to or playing + he's gotta get back into the pumpkins mindset and rediscover his pumpkins style. He's been pushing his jazz stuff for a while and becoming some polyrhythmic super beast and then Billy shows him this track... err Billy what the fuck am I supposed to do over this ? it was either kick snare kick kick snare or have some fun wanking over the thing

I remember when Jimmy talked about the challenge to get into that mindset for the Zeitgeist stuff...he also mentioned that he had to re-learn the way he played the older songs for the tour.

Funbags 07-03-2018 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzyroes (Post 4446813)
Absolutely, the mixing of the drums certainly doesn't do him any favors on this track.

His parts sounded a helluva lot better live. But even so, I don't really think he's on the mark regarding the vibe of the song.

I think I've mentioned it before, but I think they should have put a half-time chorus at the end. That'd sound pretty badass.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kumar Littlejeans (Post 4446892)
This is it, yeah. It’s just a weird frequency range for his drums to exist in. The playing is fine, I think the song is fine, it works... but it feels like his typically deep penetrating drums kinda glide over the top of the track and are all treble. It’d Be nice to have a hifi legit version of the track to base my opinion on but nooooooo

It makes me wonder if they were simply mixing with iphones in mind.

Cool As Ice Cream 07-03-2018 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzyroes (Post 4446804)
As a huge Jimmy fan it's rare that he misses the mark

nicely worded, shitbag.

who is the mark, by the way? do you mean mark tulin?

DaveKShape 07-03-2018 08:02 AM

Just proof that Jimmy can't save a bad song/a bad song does Jimmy no favors.

Shadaloo 07-03-2018 09:56 AM

Jimmy: How was that take? Seems like it could be more focused.

Rick Rubin: S'finezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

paranoid 07-03-2018 10:31 AM

Yet another fantastically dumb thread with more of your shitty observations. Keep it up.

Jimmy kills it here, yet again. Listen to the live version and it makes more sense. It’s the songwriting that’s shit. No argument.

Mals Marola 07-03-2018 11:04 AM

Honestly they should have just gone with whoever produced The Parable. His drums are SENSUAL in that
Obv the Pumpkins are a different species to Complex, but at worst it would mean actual, subtle touches to the music and probably also Corganvox that weren't shoved artlessly to the front

Forgotten Child 07-03-2018 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool As Ice Cream (Post 4446926)
nicely worded, shitbag.

who is the mark, by the way? do you mean mark tulin?

It was a typo, he meant Jimmy missed The Marked

Ram27 07-03-2018 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BurtSampson (Post 4446868)
I’ve said it here before but when I showed my friend Solara and he heard that fill (that dull as fuck snare fill) after the first chorus, he said “man they really need to get Jimmy back that sucked”

the triplet flam thing? that's the best fill in the song

the bad fills are the long rolls down the drums during the choruses that he repeated every time

Cool As Ice Cream 07-03-2018 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzyroes (Post 4446804)
As a huge Jimmy fan it's rare that he misses the mark

so which jimmy fan misses the mark? it is not clear from your post.

FoolofaTook 07-03-2018 12:36 PM

leave fuzzy alone!

his one of the good guys!

Ihaguitar 07-03-2018 03:13 PM

I've changed my mind, I think Jimmy does a pretty good job on a weak track.

FoolofaTook 07-03-2018 03:49 PM

thank you for you input. it is greatly appreciated.

Ihaguitar 07-03-2018 05:50 PM

I would hope so, cunt.

enthusaroo 07-03-2018 06:20 PM

I'm sorry, we were unable to determine the correct answer.

FoolofaTook 07-04-2018 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihaguitar (Post 4447114)
I would hope so, cunt.

:eek:

FoolofaTook 07-04-2018 01:54 AM

shit just got real

johncg 07-05-2018 11:09 PM

Jimmy is too old to be in a band amirite?

Corgan's Bluff 07-06-2018 07:04 AM

The Smashing Pumpkins are not a band, they are Corgan's brand.

themadcaplaughs 07-06-2018 01:42 PM

I like Jimmy's part individually, and it certainly has more "kick" in the live performances we've seen. That being said, I actually understand now why Billy went with Tommy Lee for Monuments to an Elegy (from which this song originated). At the time, I wrote it off entirely to Billy wanting the press that would come with the oddity of Tommy Lee playing on a Smashing Pumpkins album, but having heard Jimmy play on a Monuments-era song, I can see what Billy wanted with Tommy. His more simplistic playing carried the album, but gave the songs "breathing room." Also, Howard's production was much better than Rick Rubin's.