Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   D'arcy responds to Noel Gallagher insult (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=187479)

soniclovenoize 09-09-2019 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mals Marola (Post 4517815)




The Bald Lord is WATCHING

Wow I just saw this shit at the pump today. Just wanted to get my gas and go.

Mals Marola 09-09-2019 11:36 PM

the answer is you deserve to be on a gas station tv program if someone wants to pump there and get your just due for the hard pumps you put in. but if you don't want to be on a gas station tv program then the kids are happy to pump somewhere else

Cool As Ice Cream 09-10-2019 08:25 AM

Quote:

Former Smashing Pumpkins bassist D’arcy Wretzky has reacted to former Oasis guitarist Noel Gallagher taking a shot at her a couple of weeks ago in a new exclusive statement to Alternative Nation. These are D’arcy’s first public comments of 2019.

D’arcy told Alternative Nation, “It made me sad. We met and had a really good time. I thought we were friends.”

Gallagher said a couple of weeks ago that he’s happy that D’arcy isn’t a part of the current Pumpkins lineup on tour, as Gallagher’s High Flying Birds are currently opening for them on the road. “Let’s put it this way. If she was a guy, she would have got fucking kicked in the bollocks.”
great article. fantastic d'arcy statement. well done, buttcannon.

Mals Marola 09-10-2019 01:13 PM

fantastic expectations
amazing revelations

https://endlessvideo.com/watch?v=8f8...rt=126&end=133

selection7 09-15-2019 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzyroes (Post 4517821)
lol Pumpkins were never bigger than Nirvana. They were the it band in 95/96 with Oasis, but Oasis was definitely ahead as far as their fame went.

They had 2.5 million people apply for tickets for this headlining show at Knebworth House and packed in 125 000 people for 2 sell-out nights.. And this wasn't any festival gig, this was them headlining.

Even at Smashing Pumpkins' height on the MCIS tour, they were playing arenas, not stadiums

I'll admit it's hard for me to compare the pumpkins to oasis because I have no firsthand experience of Oasis outside of the US. It's also a little apples to oranges because Oasis was pop rock, not alt rock. I can say from experience that in the USA (the effective center of the world's music industry), TSP was far, far bigger than Oasis. Most Europeans would be shocked. To put it in perspective. In the US, just one of the two MCIS discs sold as much (*or more) than Oasis' first 3 albums combined. In terms of airplay, even the Offspring were bigger than Oasis in the US,...though in terms of hit quantity, Oasis did have a couple more hits.

It seems clear Oasis were incredibly huge in England, though.

*I can't find the exact MCIS number beyond "more than 10 million"

selection7 09-15-2019 05:38 AM

Also, the Pumpkins were easily bigger than Nirvana in the MCIS era. For some reason, Nirvana's output was a bit scant in '95–'97.

In all seriousness, I don't doubt Nirvana would have continued to rule the charts, but it's also not a given. Even if Kurt hadn't killed himself, he had all manner of problems that could have started to wear away at his production.

fuzzyroes 09-15-2019 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by selection7 (Post 4518229)
Also, the Pumpkins were easily bigger than Nirvana in the MCIS era. For some reason, Nirvana's output was a bit scant in '95'97.

I can tell you obviously weren't an active fan at the time.

Even in 95-97 when Pumpkins were surging, Nirvana was still being played just as heavily and supported by fans as legendary status. In 1995 the "Nirvana Unplugged" album was shipping millions and dominating airwaves.

trev 09-15-2019 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by selection7 (Post 4518228)
I can say from experience that in the USA (the effective center of the world's music industry)

lolololol

fuzzyroes 09-15-2019 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by selection7 (Post 4518228)
I'll admit it's hard for me to compare the pumpkins to oasis because I have no firsthand experience of Oasis outside of the US. It's also a little apples to oranges because Oasis was pop rock, not alt rock. I can say from experience that in the USA (the effective center of the world's music industry), TSP was far, far bigger than Oasis. Most Europeans would be shocked. To put it in perspective. In the US, just one of the two MCIS discs sold as much (*or more) than Oasis' first 3 albums combined. In terms of airplay, even the Offspring were bigger than Oasis in the US,...though in terms of hit quantity, Oasis did have a couple more hits.

It seems clear Oasis were incredibly huge in England, though.

*I can't find the exact MCIS number beyond "more than 10 million"

This is such bullshit. All these claims you make are easily refutable with a simple "bing.com" search. SP's big hit in 95-96 was 1979 and Wonderwall was a provably bigger hit. Tonight, Tonight was the other big hit and Champagne Supernova outperformed that.

I also don't know what the fuck you're babbling about with this "Oasis was not alt-rock" talk



^^This was one of the biggest alt-rock/grunge songs of the era. This is no more "pop-rock" than Bullet or Zero.

Give your head a shake, bro.

reprise85 09-15-2019 10:06 AM

if you searched why wouldn't you list the sources?

i can see wonderwall being a bigger hit than 1979 but effectively 3 out of the 5 mcis singles were heavy rotation hits (bwbw, 1979, tt), with zero lagging a big behind and 33 a hit but not major. also muzzle was played a lot, and in 1997 Eye and TEITBITE ware also played a lot on the radio.

Oasis, from what I remember, was a very popular band but SP was the biggest band in the world for about 6-9 months in 1996-97. You could not escape them. And the video for TT was an amazing success as well.

Ultimately we live in different places so it's going to vary, but MCIS was the biggest album of that time period and the hits plus the extremely high quality music videos really elevated SP

trev 09-15-2019 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reprise85 (Post 4518247)
zero lagging a big behind and 33 a hit but not major. also muzzle was played a lot, and in 1997 Eye and TEITBITE ware also played a lot on the radio.

Oasis, from what I remember, was a very popular band but SP was the biggest band in the world for about 6-9 months in 1996-97. You could not escape them.

these singles did hardly anything compared to the big singles we are talking about from both bands. like muzzle, seriously?

as for links, it's not hard to find basic stats:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oasis_discography
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sm...ns_discography

pre 1994 - sp had nothing at number 1 with gish or sd.

1994
oasis 1st album, number 1 in uk with 2 other markets top 5.

1995
oasis 2nd album, went number 1 in 6 markets, 2 others top 5.
mcis went number 1 in 4 markets, 3 others top 5


1997
oasis 3rd album, went number 1 in 6 markets, 4 others top 5.
1998
adore number 1 in 4 markets, 5 others top 5.

2000
oasis 4th album, went number 1 in 2 markets, 4 others top 5.
machina never got to number 1.


for singles:
oasis had 6 number 1 singles between 1995-1998
sp had only 1, 1979.



oasis album sales from the US and UK combined never even made half of their total world wide sales. they were huge everywhere, not just UK or USA.

paranoid 09-15-2019 12:15 PM

Well this thread veered into dumb shit beyond the idiocy of the original subject.

Congrats yet again, fuzzyhoe.

paranoid 09-15-2019 12:19 PM

Like, what a dumb fucking thing to debate.

Mals Marola 09-15-2019 01:43 PM

Smoshing Popkins were bigger than Oasis in America in the mid-90s. You know how I know? Only one of them played 5 minutes from my house.

Mals Marola 09-15-2019 01:44 PM

That being said, Oasis are of course the best band in the world, therfore the debate is all but meaningless since Ballsy Corgan may have won a few battles, but the Gals won the war

johncg 09-15-2019 04:09 PM

I think Oasis were definitely way bigger in Europe and SP were way bigger in the US.

And now the music business sucks so bad that they’re touring together!

Forgotten Child 09-15-2019 04:09 PM

Do you guys remember when Oasis hired Jonathan Dayton and Valerie Faris so they had a tonight tonight-esque video? I just wanted to bring that up. Thanks.

reprise85 09-15-2019 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trev (Post 4518251)
these singles did hardly anything compared to the big singles we are talking about from both bands. like muzzle, seriously?

as for links, it's not hard to find basic stats:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oasis_discography
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sm...ns_discography

pre 1994 - sp had nothing at number 1 with gish or sd.

1994
oasis 1st album, number 1 in uk with 2 other markets top 5.

1995
oasis 2nd album, went number 1 in 6 markets, 2 others top 5.
mcis went number 1 in 4 markets, 3 others top 5


1997
oasis 3rd album, went number 1 in 6 markets, 4 others top 5.
1998
adore number 1 in 4 markets, 5 others top 5.

2000
oasis 4th album, went number 1 in 2 markets, 4 others top 5.
machina never got to number 1.


for singles:
oasis had 6 number 1 singles between 1995-1998
sp had only 1, 1979.



oasis album sales from the US and UK combined never even made half of their total world wide sales. they were huge everywhere, not just UK or USA.

maybe you're right. i just remember what it felt like to me. i remember wonderwall being everywhere but multiple SP songs being everywhere at once, and their videos being way more popular

i liked Oasis at the time (had their first two records at least) as well

Shallowed 09-15-2019 08:52 PM

ok

Funbags 09-16-2019 05:10 AM

Manic Street Preachers > Oasis.

Funbags 09-16-2019 05:11 AM



Iconic.

eviltimeban 09-16-2019 05:37 AM

Last week Radio Nova in Dublin played three SP songs - Today, 1979, and Silvery Sometimes. Was weird hearing them, two in one day in one instance!

FoolofaTook 09-16-2019 07:36 AM

ok

Mals Marola 09-16-2019 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funbags (Post 4518294)
Manic Street Preachers > Oasis.

in general they have probably as shaky of a track record when it comes to full albums, but JDB is a national treasure

FoolofaTook 09-16-2019 12:12 PM

JDB = Jostling Dad's Buttocks?

Mals Marola 09-16-2019 12:17 PM

Johnny's Dad's Ballsack

topleybird 09-16-2019 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funbags (Post 4518294)
Manic Street Preachers > Oasis.

I was introduced to the Manics when they opened for Oasis, coincidentally, and that was my immediate assessment as well

FoolofaTook 09-16-2019 01:15 PM

how ironic is that?

Mals Marola 09-16-2019 01:53 PM

like a free ride

when yer already late!

FoolofaTook 09-16-2019 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mals Marola (Post 4518312)
Johnny's Dad's Ballsack



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:21 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Smashing Pumpkins, Alternative Music
& General Discussion Message Board and Forums
www.netphoria.org - Copyright 1998-2019