Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   Pumpkins Archive (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Not enough pre-Gish material on re-release? (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=174982)

ckeegan 12-01-2011 01:06 PM

Not enough pre-Gish material on re-release?

Didn't BC say there was a lot of pre-Gish material that would get released as part of the remastered album series? There are so many decent tracks that should have made the second disc of the Gish release...like Jennifer Ever, C'mon, East, Daughter, Egg... :banging:

lala 12-01-2011 01:33 PM

from BC twitter (@Billy)

@thomcrossmusic Pisces Iscariot re-issue up next (april?) w/ bonus disc PLUS a release of all SP pre-Gish demos from @sprecordclub PLUS a compilation of the Rubano Tapes (roughly 50 hours of early SP live + rehearsals) in the spring2012

rottenugly 12-01-2011 01:55 PM

>he didn't mention MCIS reissue.

sigh.

lala 12-01-2011 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rottenugly (Post 3796752)
>he didn't mention MCIS reissue.

sigh.

because the guy only asked him about pisces :erm:

strtj 12-01-2011 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lala (Post 3796739)
from BC twitter (@Billy)

@thomcrossmusic Pisces Iscariot re-issue up next (april?) w/ bonus disc PLUS a release of all SP pre-Gish demos from @sprecordclub PLUS a compilation of the Rubano Tapes (roughly 50 hours of early SP live + rehearsals) in the spring2012

idgi, why wouldn't he just release all of the Rubano stuff? It'll be digital-only I'm sure, and hosting and setup costs are almost nothing for that sort of distribution. It's not like he has to do anything other than just dub it, the sort of people who are going to buy it will be PISSED if he lets Kerry ruin it.

supermaid 12-01-2011 02:13 PM

T&T 12-01-2011 03:01 PM

he's made it clear that in hindsight they didn't know what they were doing during gish, and that the songs are weak.
I suspect the thinks even less of the pre-gish songs you listed.

emotionalfriend 12-01-2011 03:08 PM

If "Translucent" gets released, then I'll be happy. That's all it will take to satisfy me.

jimmy drevpile 12-01-2011 04:41 PM

'also on @sprecordclub a compilation of the Rubano Tapes (roughly 50 hours of early SP live + rehearsals) in the spring2012' - crazy

soniclovenoize 12-01-2011 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emotionalfriend (Post 3796855)
If "Translucent" gets released, then I'll be happy. That's all it will take to satisfy me.

But you already have Translucent.

strtj 12-01-2011 09:26 PM

Yeah, and there's a clear and steady EQ curve that will remove all of the unnecessary bass from the Mashed Potatoes tracks. PM me or I could just post an image of the curve.

BC hates the early stuff, but wouldn't you? Even the best songs have a hard time standing up to anything on Gish. Hopefully the Honeyspider mention in the newest Rolling Stone will egg him on to release the Reel Time stuff - lord knows he's probably one of the only folks who still cares about that forgettable garbage magazine.

emotionalfriend 12-01-2011 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soniclovenoize (Post 3796937)
But you already have Translucent.

Quote:

Originally Posted by strtj (Post 3797091)
Yeah, and there's a clear and steady EQ curve that will remove all of the unnecessary bass from the Mashed Potatoes tracks. PM me or I could just post an image of the curve.

Yes but I want it clipped and lacking emotional dynamics.

strtj 12-01-2011 09:57 PM

Boy howdy have you come to the right place and time. Which is to say, any time that involves Billy as the producer and leaning-over-the-shoulder-of-the-engineer. The Catherine "Sleepy" EP is one of the funniest mistakes ever.

soniclovenoize 12-01-2011 10:20 PM

But he's either produced or co-produced nearly every one of the Smashing Pumpkins' recordings since 1989.

strtj 12-01-2011 10:23 PM

Yes, that's the joke, I'm glad you're in on it too.

soniclovenoize 12-02-2011 01:17 AM

Ah.

houseofglass11 12-02-2011 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strtj (Post 3797091)
BC hates the early stuff, but wouldn't you? Even the best songs have a hard time standing up to anything on Gish.

No, there's plenty of songs that are as good as anything on Gish. Sun, Not Worth Asking, East, Translucent, Egg, My Dahlia, With You, etc. etc.

paranoid 12-02-2011 02:26 AM

I think the whole point of the second disc on these reissues is to show case the process that went into making the albums, and all the loose ends around it. The material is more closely related to the album. So It would seem pointless to have all the pre gish material on this set.. as it almost seems like a completely different era. Sort of the Pumpkins 'hidden' first record.

The disc makes sense to me, but could still do without the PI song remixes. Seriously we're getting those songs again on the reissue, why not just slap the remixes and demos on that? Sort of a silly/confusing move.

Seeing as how this is the approach, I'm expecting a decent amount of the MCIS demos to show up on the bonus CD.. the acoustic demos, maybe autumn nocturne and stuff of that ilk. I'm hoping they layoff doing Aeroplane remixes. Too much material there to just throw some of those same songs around.

T&T 12-02-2011 06:04 AM

you think they'll do two bonus disks for MCIS?

and then an equivalent amount of bonus material for TAFH? (are they even remastering TAFH?)

RenewRevive 12-02-2011 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T&T (Post 3796848)
he's made it clear that in hindsight they didn't know what they were doing during gish, and that the songs are weak.
I suspect the thinks even less of the pre-gish songs you listed.

yeah but in bill-world Smiley is a good song...

soniclovenoize 12-02-2011 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T&T (Post 3797256)
you think they'll do two bonus disks for MCIS?

and then an equivalent amount of bonus material for TAFH? (are they even remastering TAFH?)

Well think of it this way: we'd already have at least a 4-disc set, with 2 CDs with the remastered album + 1 rarities disc + 1 DVD. I think that'll be already a difficult sell for Virgin, but throw in a second disc of rarities to make it a 5 disc set? For bot MCIS AND TAFH? Commercial suicide.

Raskolnikov 12-02-2011 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soniclovenoize (Post 3797290)
Well think of it this way: we'd already have at least a 4-disc set, with 2 CDs with the remastered album + 1 rarities disc + 1 DVD. I think that'll be already a difficult sell for Virgin, but throw in a second disc of rarities to make it a 5 disc set? For bot MCIS AND TAFH? Commercial suicide.

I think that re-issuing TAFH is overkill. Throw me a disc of full instrumental (if that's what you've got) versions of songs from Pastachio Medley, and any additional worthy b-sides from the MCIS era - release it in a 4 disc set, and call it good.

I just fear he's gonna run out of steam before he gets to what I'm oddly most excited for, which would be Machina I/II resequenced/mastered.

Hoping that he comes through on the 1989 demos... man, really want some of that action.

paranoid 12-02-2011 12:39 PM

he said he's free to do whatever he wants with these reissues.. so who knows what will be released.

All I care about is having TAFH on vinyl. Also, LMGTWTY Adore version. If those two are released, I'll be ok with him running out of steam.

slunken 12-02-2011 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paranoid (Post 3797334)

All I care about is having TAFH on vinyl. Also, LMGTWTY Adore version. If those two are released, I'll be ok with him running out of steam.

TAFH needs to have the record box. needs to be released as individual 10" or 12" singles. don't think it will happen though.

the things i'm most excited to hear besides the couple individual songs mentioned (tear, lmgtwty) is future embrace piano demos, chicago kid material, and isn't there an adore session with jimmy on drums?

i can see putting the song selection under a microscope for these physical releases but as far as the digital releases go there is no reason whatsoever to not release entire sessions with a minimal amount of editing (for instance no reason to hae 7 false starts of "to forgive") and it doesn't have to mean jacking up the price.

MyOneAndOnly 12-02-2011 04:19 PM

yeah, give us everything and don't charge much for it!

Kahlo 12-02-2011 04:33 PM

Shut the fuck up Scotty.

You aren't the entitlement police. Go brown-nose elsewhere.

soniclovenoize 12-02-2011 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raskolnikov (Post 3797330)
I think that re-issuing TAFH is overkill. Throw me a disc of full instrumental (if that's what you've got) versions of songs from Pastachio Medley, and any additional worthy b-sides from the MCIS era - release it in a 4 disc set, and call it good.

The thing is, you gotta remember that the target audience for these things is everyone, rather than us, you know what I mean? Corgan knows that, the label knows that. He'll throw us a bone with things we've never heard, but at the same time, they have to create a marketable product. A sole 2 or 3 CDs of just complete instrumental stuff is not really something an average Joe or Joanne would want. So I wouldn't hold my breath, but I'm sure some of that will be there.

The problem is he alreday said he's counting TAFH box as one of the remasters (as well as PI), so there's gonna be two of these things at least, each with their own bonus disc, although, as I had said, I can't fathom a good way to construct it.

Or he could just forget about these and file them away in the Corgan Empty Promises file...

Quote:

Originally Posted by slunken (Post 3797367)
isn't there an adore session with jimmy on drums?

It's just practice tapes if anything. Is it even release-worthy? Who knows.

RenewRevive 12-03-2011 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slunken (Post 3797367)
the things i'm most excited to hear...is future embrace piano demos, chicago kid material

are these even on the agenda?

if we're going there i want them to remix Zeitgeist (bury the vocal, remove some of the vox - bring the light x50 and cheesy synth, the lalas, ahs and ohs), so that virtually every song doesn't piss me off in some fashion.