Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   General Chat Archive (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Hurricane Irma (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=185456)

reprise85 09-05-2017 01:33 PM

Hurricane Irma

Dude people here are freaking the fuck out. I have never seen people panicking so early before a storm. It's not a bad thing but man.

I think realistically we are going to have some damage but hopefully we won't get cat 3+ winds where I am. But if it goes further north we are fucked. I live near the palm beach/broward line I also live in an evac zone so I'm planning on going further inland.

Anyone else here with me?

FoolofaTook 09-05-2017 01:39 PM

No but I wish I was. Typhoons are the best! Have fun.

reprise85 09-05-2017 01:40 PM

Uhhhh as an adult hurricanes are not fun. Even if nothing catastrophic happens, being without power for days/weeks is shitty.

FoolofaTook 09-05-2017 01:41 PM

:)

Stay safe reprise. Are you on high ground? I hope your house is built of brick. We were on a ridge and our home was of cement with a tin roof solid and fuck. only problem was water flowing under the doors. but we were far inland as well.

FoolofaTook 09-05-2017 01:41 PM

I'm sorry it was a dumb joke. i was a kid and i loved storms and blackouts.

Skradgee 09-05-2017 04:56 PM

Surprise camping! :-D

8-|

I heard about the Thames Barrier on the radio this morning and how it helps keep places in and around London from flooding. It's the difference between spending money on disaster prevention vs. disaster cleanup. I know a lot of buildings in Florida are built to hold up against storms like this. Hopefully it won't hit too hard.

duovamp 09-05-2017 04:58 PM

Good luck down there, FL Netphorians. Be safe.

yo soy el mejor 09-05-2017 05:40 PM

GOOD LUCK!

yo soy el mejor 09-05-2017 05:40 PM

Prepped in any way?

reprise85 09-05-2017 06:47 PM

My university just cancelled classes until (so far) Monday.

I am going to my mom's apartment which is like 8 miles inland or something like that. With my cat.

I just got gas for like $3.15 cuz they were out of regular. My mom only has one case of water and we haven't been able to find any more. But we have other drinks and canned foods etc. I need to see about flashlights...
I am getting all my meds tomorrow, I saw my psychiatrist today coincidentally so that worked out good. He told me he just moved to a new house and had to fix some doors before he could get wind insurance and since a hurricane is about to hit they now won't give it to him until it's over. So he has no insurance for his house. But I'm sure his house is built strong etc.

The house I rent an apartment in was built in the 50s so it could conceivably get destroyed if we get hit hard. My mom's apartment complex should be ok. It got hit in 2005 by Wilma, I'm not sure if that specific building had any problems but some of the surrounding buildings had shit happen like air conditioners fall off the roofs and on to cars. My workplace was closed for 3 weeks because of roof failure and damaged glass doors/windows, plus cleanup of lots of soggy books. Everyone in the area (I lived about 3 miles from where my mom lives now) had no power for two weeks and we had a curfew for all that time. Some old houses got destroyed. Lots of gov't buildings including schools had extensive damage. My parent's house had at least 50k in damage - roof, ceilings in several rooms, garage door caved in, fence came down, screened enclosure came down, lots of stuff had to be painted, mom's car had damage, etc. But like, we weren't in physical danger although it was scary at times and some people near us did get hurt.

The crazy thing is it was only a category 2 hurricane. But it's the only one that really hit hard all the years I've lived here (from 2 y/o to 15, and 19 to now) - various cities in south Palm Beach and north Broward counties. We had other ones where we lost power from 1 to 5 days or so. And no major damage. We've been really lucky.

This feels pretty bad though. Shit is gonna get real, I think

reprise85 09-05-2017 06:53 PM

I'm not that concerned about flooding. It will probably flood, but nothing like Houston. It's the wind that will be dangerous.

mxzombie 09-05-2017 07:29 PM

i hope it doesn't hit. it's probably too soon to know if you'll be made to evacuate. it might be difficult to get out quickly if so.

wilma was pretty bad for being relatively weak--my parents' house in parkland was moderately damaged--but i think it was nearly a direct hit on the area.

buzzard 09-05-2017 07:29 PM

God is clearly punishing America for not giving Trump the support he needs to govern effectively.

FoolofaTook 09-05-2017 07:32 PM

We've got fires over here. It was in the hundreds all last week and the last two days were hazy as fuck from the smoke.

Time to submit to God and Trump.

cork_soaker 09-05-2017 07:33 PM

irmagherd

MplsTaper 09-05-2017 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FoolofaTook (Post 4381850)
We've got fires over here. It was in the hundreds all last week and the last two days were hazy as fuck from the smoke.

Time to submit to God and Trump.

A buddy just texted that fires are 20 to 60 miles east of him and his. Fuck. Sorry for the threadjack reprise.

teh b0lly!!1 09-06-2017 10:40 AM

sorry

http://3geeksinapod.com/wp-content/u...riend032ri.jpg

Tchocky 09-06-2017 11:28 AM

Teh b0lly, that's what I was thinking about, too.

Upgraded to a Cat 5. Bye bye Puerto Rico and Florida. Hope my aunt and uncle down there will be okay.

If you're in its path, be safe. I'll be donating a ton of money to disaster relief ASAP.

yo soy el mejor 09-06-2017 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tchocky (Post 4381979)
I'll be donating a ton of money to disaster relief ASAP.

good for you lol

reprise85 09-06-2017 01:48 PM

you should just paypal it to me directly

reprise85 09-06-2017 01:51 PM

oh my god i just saw the shift on the storm track.

if it goes like that i will be hit directly. i think i need to evacuate assuming everything i leave behind could very well get destroyed. i've never been under the gun like this, not with a anything above a cat 2

broward county ordered mandatory evacuations for everyone east of federal highway. i live right on the other side of federal.

yo soy el mejor 09-06-2017 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reprise85 (Post 4381998)
i've never been under the gun like this, not with a anything above a cat 2

i thought this was another way of saying, "not with anything with more than a cat." and i was gonna ask what all you would be leaving behind.

at least you have a car to pack stuff in. leave sooner than later. better safe and looking a little dumb than sorry and looking a little dead. do you have a cat carrier?

mxzombie 09-06-2017 02:06 PM

you should leave if you can. south florida isn't a fishbowl like new orleans but there's no high ground unless you're heading for the landfill.

Skradgee 09-06-2017 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 (Post 4381969)

http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kr...hk9uo1_400.gif

cork_soaker 09-06-2017 02:36 PM

a couple of webcam feeds:

Fonzie 09-06-2017 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buzzard (Post 4381848)
God is clearly punishing America for not giving Trump the support he needs to govern effectively.

Sounds legit.

Now, you would allow the wall to be built said storms would be stopped at the border.

May need to extend the wall around the country.

reprise85 09-06-2017 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yo soy el mejor (Post 4382000)
i thought this was another way of saying, "not with anything with more than a cat." and i was gonna ask what all you would be leaving behind.

at least you have a car to pack stuff in. leave sooner than later. better safe and looking a little dumb than sorry and looking a little dead. do you have a cat carrier?

i have a carrier. i will be going to my mom's on friday with the cat, my laptop, guitar, and some essential paperwork. if this apartment gets destoryed, it would suck but not a big deal. her complex is concrete and she is on the first flood. so no worry of the roof coming off and if it gets destroyed that means everything got destroyed because it's a very strong building. she has 3 internal rooms without windows plus shutters.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mxzombie (Post 4382002)
you should leave if you can. south florida isn't a fishbowl like new orleans but there's no high ground unless you're heading for the landfill.

i will be in west boca near lyons and glades. shouldn't have to worry about intense flooding. some yes, but nothing terrible cuz the storm is not slow. where i live now will potentially get destroyed, i'm right across from federal and everything east of it is mandatory evacuating. and this house was built in the 50s.

thanks for the concern though guys (tone: sincere). i'm a veteran to hurricanes and i've never seen people taking a storm so seriously, so early before

duovamp 09-06-2017 04:04 PM

It's a doozy. Wind speeds are some of the highest ever recorded. You can stay but should you?

duovamp 09-06-2017 04:05 PM

Power outages, flooding, nothing open, nothing to eat, I'd get the hell out no matter what.

reprise85 09-06-2017 04:10 PM

i have nowhere to go, especially with a cat. it will suck but i cant afford to go on vacation for weeks.