Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   Pumpkins Archive (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Anyone Who Cares About This Band Understands This (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=160274)

silverfrick 06-20-2008 12:53 AM

Anyone Who Cares About This Band Understands This

Haven't posted in months and am a little drunk, but James was and is the antithesis of Billy. So was Darc'y. That's why this band was so great. It's a repetitive point only said in so many different words. The current incarnation is Billy unleashed and uninhibited and because of this, the lack of the Pumpkins soul is so apparent. Everyone, including Zeitgeist apologists, can recognize this. Musicianship and talent included, the personalities of those collective four meant more than anything in regards to this band. The current Pumpkins isn't horrible and have produced an occasional gem (live anyway), but without someone to temper Billy, this thing will always lack full credibility. I think at some point James will resurface.

Again, I am glad we have something, but holy shit something is missing.

silverfrick 06-20-2008 12:56 AM

This post was inspired by listening to Porcelina during the 2nd to last show at United Center. Even a James that was uninspired was better than no James at all.

srt4b 06-20-2008 12:56 AM

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

harrow 06-20-2008 01:06 AM

agreed. it was the tension that made it so great.
now SP has no edge.

done.

fluxequalsrad 06-20-2008 01:31 AM

you're creative up until a point, if don't have an ego your material just plain' old gets worse... if you have a giant ego your material gets worse but you think it's good because it goes down different avenues.

Wasabi 06-20-2008 02:08 AM

yeah it's right there.
no ... over by that

davin 06-20-2008 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverfrick (Post 3276162)
Haven't posted in months and am a little drunk, but James was and is the antithesis of Billy. So was Darc'y. That's why this band was so great. It's a repetitive point only said in so many different words. The current incarnation is Billy unleashed and uninhibited and because of this, the lack of the Pumpkins soul is so apparent. Everyone, including Zeitgeist apologists, can recognize this. Musicianship and talent included, the personalities of those collective four meant more than anything in regards to this band. The current Pumpkins isn't horrible and have produced an occasional gem (live anyway), but without someone to temper Billy, this thing will always lack full credibility. I think at some point James will resurface.

Again, I am glad we have something, but holy shit something is missing.

i appreciate what you are trying to say, and i'm glad you had a good night. but for the record...THE MUSIC is way more important to me than any of this "collective personalities" stuff you are talking about.

i think jimmy and billy compliment eachother well, though jimmy does seem to be more agreeable to billy's ideas than say, darcy ever was. still, despite their influences on billy, i think the best work being with james & darcy might be a little more circumstantial than most people are willing to admit. it was the right time for them from gish thru tafh....and nothing could have changed that, nor should their success be attributed to any specific thing. it was just the right rock n roll moment. with the grunge movement happeneing, what was going on in chicago, etc. And billy and jimmy still carried the band back then too.

davin 06-20-2008 02:26 AM

all work and no play makes jack a dull boy. all work and no play makes jack a dull boy. all work and no play makes jack a dull boy. all work and no play makes jack a dull boy. all work and no play makes jack a dull boy. all work and no play makes jack a dull boy. all work and no play makes jack a dull boy. all work and no play makes jack a dull boy. all work and no play makes jack a dull boy. all work and no play makes jack a dull boy. all work and no play makes jack a dull boy. all work and no play makes jack a dull boy. all work and no play makes jack a dull boy. all work and no play makes jack a dull boy. all work and no play makes jack a dull boy. all work and no play makes jack a dull boy. all work and no play makes jack a dull boy. all work and no play makes jack a dull boy. all work and no play makes jack a dull boy.

Nightscream 06-20-2008 05:46 AM

I'm going to reserve judgement until I hear the next single/album - that way everyone will be able to judge SP2 on a more even playing field, since there'll be more than just 1 LP and EP to compare.

aztec litany service 06-20-2008 06:02 AM

yeah, i still hope for james to come back.

SlingeroGuitaro 06-20-2008 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aztec litany service (Post 3276243)
yeah, i still hope for james to come back.

I don't think he's coming back :cry::erm::banging::eek::mad::confused:

topleybird 06-20-2008 09:17 AM

You can't have two different things both be the antithesis of a third thing. That shit is a no-go, dude.

lucid_interval 06-20-2008 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pizza Club (Post 3276280)
tl,dr

but if this thread is what i think it's about then yes, i love pizza.

as long as its got sweetcorn on it, im there.

Gish08 06-20-2008 04:08 PM

OP: To an extent, maybe. But really I think it has to do with Billy's profound change in his outlook on life and what he believes in. The Billy Corgan of 2008 is very different than the Billy Corgan of 1993 or even 1998. James has also grown pretty careless when it comes to SP since about 1998 or so. I don't think your theory holds much weight today. In the mid 90's, if James got kicked out, quit, whatever -- it would have.

aztec litany service 06-20-2008 05:30 PM

at least james could put another record out

muzzled4life 06-20-2008 08:50 PM

and birds go tweet....but yea, I know what you mean...half drunk too.

slunken 02-12-2012 11:37 PM

sigh

fuzzyroes 02-13-2012 05:44 AM

I gotta agree. I cant imagine James and Darcy willingly playing stuff like widow wake my mind and what not... Having those critical opinions in the band drove Billy to greater heights.

great poster 02-13-2012 06:08 AM

http://s13.postimage.org/n892s7552/b...93_and_now.jpg

i've drawn a picture in MSpaint on the matter. yes i know i can't draw for shit on laptop trackpads.

great poster 02-13-2012 06:10 AM

goddamit i forgot b0lly's ears in the present panel.

MyOneAndOnly 02-13-2012 07:38 AM

you would have to be really fucked up to think that James would "come back" to billy

The Melty Man 02-13-2012 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverfrick (Post 3276164)
This post was inspired by listening to Porcelina during the 2nd to last show at United Center. Even a James that was uninspired was better than no James at all.

That song is pretty bloody good, I've got to admit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gish08 (Post 3276486)
OP: To an extent, maybe. But really I think it has to do with Billy's profound change in his outlook on life and what he believes in. The Billy Corgan of 2008 is very different than the Billy Corgan of 1993 or even 1998. James has also grown pretty careless when it comes to SP since about 1998 or so. I don't think your theory holds much weight today. In the mid 90's, if James got kicked out, quit, whatever -- it would have.

We all lose the plot, sooner or later. There is a good case to be made for Billy quietly touring with the old material, instead of going out with this whacked Teargarden concept-less album that isn't an album but is.

lala 02-13-2012 08:07 AM

this thread is bullshit.

smashingjj 02-13-2012 10:36 AM

Darc'y

morespsoon 02-13-2012 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harrow (Post 3276168)
agreed. it was the tension that made it so great.
now SP has no edge.

done.

The Future Embrace is a great album produced with no tension so I don't agree that it's necessary.

Rider 02-13-2012 11:14 AM

Umm why are you people responding to people who stopped posting on this board 4 years ago?

Skradgee 02-13-2012 11:17 AM

Rewind.

DiscoJon 02-13-2012 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skradgee (Post 3827638)
Rewind.

and Revive.

slunken 02-13-2012 05:27 PM

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/k...008_015107.jpg