Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   Music Board Archive (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   What records did you like at first and now you think its godawful shit (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=183060)

Trotskilicious 09-01-2015 02:02 PM

What records did you like at first and now you think its godawful shit

anything by the decembrists

myosis 09-01-2015 02:12 PM

better than ezra (if you want to talk about sounding dated...)

slunken 09-01-2015 03:34 PM

The Rapture
!!!

Sonic Johnny 09-01-2015 05:56 PM

I don't make a habit of "hating" bands, my opinion is mostly that if I'm not into something then I'll just not listen to it and people who like it can go right ahead. But the decemberists are just the most godawful suckfest in the history of sucking. Their whole "lit rock" HEY GUYS I READ BOOKS! CHECK OUT MY GLASSES AND THIS SONG ABOUT A BOOK IVE READ CAUSE I LOVE BOOKS! GUYS! GUYS! OUR MUSIC VIDEO REFERENCES INFINITE JEST, THE BOOKIEST BOOK OF ALL SCARFS BOOKS SCARFS BOOKS QUIRKY CUTE VOMIT SHIT DEATH DIE

slunken 09-01-2015 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic Johnny (Post 4216002)
VOMIT SHIT DEATH DIE

this album hasn't aged well either :/

Trotskilicious 09-01-2015 08:08 PM

the name decembrists is a reference to a failed coup of the russian tsar in the 1820s or so. which as a 23 year old russian history student was just wonderful but as a 35 year old history grad im like "you arent clever"

it belongs in the same twee liberal arts smarty pants refuse bin as dimitry martin

and we should set it on fire

Trotskilicious 09-01-2015 08:11 PM

i saw them live and that killed my interest in them, their fans are into it but it was a laborious ordeal watching a bunch of nerds play a thousand instruments sort of ok and colin melloy warble for two goddamn hours with one song that someone would call a rock song (sixteen military wives which is an insipid poltical song)

Sonic Johnny 09-01-2015 08:21 PM

I used to date a girl who lived with these two melbourne boho hippie types who would get drunk on box wine and play "The Mariner's Revenge Song" on ukulele and sing along out of key outside her window at like 1am and that definitely set me against the band from the get go.

Shallowed 09-01-2015 08:27 PM

Anything that Fuzzy currently likes

Trotskilicious 09-01-2015 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic Johnny (Post 4216030)
I used to date a girl who lived with these two melbourne boho hippie types who would get drunk on box wine and play "The Mariner's Revenge Song" on ukulele and sing along out of key outside her window at like 1am and that definitely set me against the band from the get go.

god how awful

Sonic Johnny 09-01-2015 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shallowed (Post 4216031)
Anything that Fuzzy currently likes

Speaking of: haven't seen much of the fuzzy fuck lately.

Mooney 09-01-2015 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slunken (Post 4215985)
The Rapture
!!!

these. i also unfortunately listened the rapture before ever hearing PIL. i remember listening to second issue for the first time and thinking that the rapture must have covered a song or two...looked back at tracklistings and nope, they just really ripped them off. which wouldn't have really been a big deal except back in the day the rapture were heralded as pretty much creating a new genre music called disco-punk or something like that.

i'll add siamese dream to the list. i'd have probably claimed this as my favourite album of all-time for like fifteen years. i listened to it for the first time in many years a few months ago and it didn't do anything for me at all it. bolly probably ruined it for me by continuing to exist. had he shot himself in the face in '00, my feelings toward this album (and the rest of the actual sp output) would undoubtedly be different.

D. 09-01-2015 10:25 PM

y'all cray the crane wife album by decemberists is better than your whole existence. and mariner's revenge song is literally the best song you've ever heard.

get fuuuuucked

the rest of their stuff i don't care for

Trotskilicious 09-01-2015 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mooney (Post 4216053)
i'll add siamese dream to the list. i'd have probably claimed this as my favourite album of all-time for like fifteen years. i listened to it for the first time in many years a few months ago and it didn't do anything for me at all it. bolly probably ruined it for me by continuing to exist. had he shot himself in the face in '00, my feelings toward this album (and the rest of the actual sp output) would undoubtedly be different.

get out

who gives a fuck what that guy does i mean seriously people bill corgan is a tool but geek usa is forever

Trotskilicious 09-01-2015 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D. (Post 4216062)
y'all cray the crane wife album by decemberists is better than your whole existence. and mariner's revenge song is literally the best song you've ever heard.

get fuuuuucked

the rest of their stuff i don't care for

i dunno how the crane wife is any different than picaresque but fucking whatever, mariner's revenge song seems cool but then colin meloy starts singing his twee ass warble and made it a chanty so it sucks

like it could have been epic but instead it's twee and archaic aw isn't that cute instead of BLACK METAL SATAN 666

live they bring out a hurdy-gurdy, it makes me sick

Trotskilicious 09-01-2015 10:54 PM

and a hurdy gurdy would be cool if you electrify it and make crazy ass noise with it

but if you're going to play it as intended go to the renaissance fair where you belong colin melloy

Trotskilicious 09-01-2015 11:03 PM

oh yeah i forgot about this part: "The band usually brings out a large paper maché whale jaw to use as a prop, and encourage the audience to "scream like you're being swallowed by a whale" during the part of the song when the whale attacks the ship."

i was like, am I 6 and at the public library on a school trip? i mean for real.

noyen 09-01-2015 11:34 PM

interpol everything

Trotskilicious 09-02-2015 12:08 AM

i thought that first record was bullshit from jump

noyen 09-02-2015 12:18 AM

i will concede i like that nyc song still but after seeing them live a few times its like definition of studio band black magic trickery.

Sonic Johnny 09-02-2015 12:23 AM

Elbow - Every album i've heard

but i still maintain that 'Jesus Is A Rochdale Girl' is a great song.

vixnix 09-02-2015 12:56 AM

the strokes is this it
darwin deez darwin deez
lorde pure heroine

Sonic Johnny 09-02-2015 12:58 AM

That Lorde record still holds up IMO but some of the lyrics are godawful. Glory and Gore is a total jam though.

Trotskilicious 09-02-2015 01:12 AM

she is like 17 tho right?

by the way sonjon is chloe howl's album gonna drop at the same time as jay electronica?

vixnix 09-02-2015 01:15 AM

I think in isolation the tracks are still very listenable but as a whole, the album is just far too samey for me, it gets a bit fatiguing after a while.

Sonic Johnny 09-02-2015 01:15 AM

Yeah she's 17 so the lyrics are mostly about being a teenager. There's one with a line about "mum and dad let me stay home" thats just... ergh. But the beats smack hard.

I completely forgot about Chloe Howl! I should check on that. Not familiar w Jay Electronica.

Trotskilicious 09-02-2015 01:21 AM

he dropped some tracks that blistered, he's an incredible rapper but also lazy and balling with erikah badu so he's been about to release an album for years now, seems like howl is doing the same. i love her smoky voice

Trotskilicious 09-02-2015 01:22 AM

if his goddamn album ever drops it'll probably be an instant classic and the only rap album i've given a fuck about listening to in years

Sonic Johnny 09-02-2015 01:23 AM

you don't really get into that neo-RnB style rap stuff do you? I got this wicked tape by Corbin (FKA Spooky Black) and Bobby Raps that is getting extremely heavy rotation at the minute.

Trotskilicious 09-02-2015 01:25 AM

the whole drake, kendrick lamar thing ? ech i just dunno, bored with lyrics altogether lately lol