Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   Pumpkins Archive (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Times Billy Has Slipped Into The "Old Voice" Post 2000 (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=186689)

Insight_Scoop 09-16-2018 11:01 AM

Times Billy Has Slipped Into The "Old Voice" Post 2000

Billy said on instagram the other day he sings in the "old voice" live for a laugh sometimes. ITT, post performances where he has.

Here are two, queued up.

Ram27 09-16-2018 11:53 AM

it's stupid how much better he sounds here

amoergosum 09-16-2018 11:53 AM

https://i.imgur.com/V2zlynF.png

amoergosum 09-16-2018 11:57 AM

jakobtheliar 09-16-2018 12:20 PM

Ohh.... that's how he used to sound.

I believe he does "choose" the way he sings now as it presents little to no effort. That's why there's the drop consonants band whisper time singing: it's easier. It takes no effort to sing that way.

The other way, the old way, he has to use his diaphragm and his stomach muscles to belt it out.

Old way is 1000 times better.

T&T 09-16-2018 12:27 PM

old way IS bad for his voice and unsustainable. but who cares, be a rock star. give it till it's gone. it sounds great.
better to burn out than to fade away.

SP2 billy is a pussy.

eviltimeban 09-16-2018 12:38 PM

I would love to hear the soft style, like on Obscured or Whir. That gentle approach.

brothahi4L 09-16-2018 01:17 PM

Guys put on sd or mcis and you get old billy voice.
Funny how you stick to the past.
Move on boyz.LoL

T&T 09-16-2018 01:38 PM

funny how we want to listen to good music.

FoolofaTook 09-16-2018 01:45 PM

"i suck these days but sometimes i choose to kick ass. for a laugh."

emilem 09-17-2018 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T&T (Post 4463822)
funny how we want to listen to good music.

if you read billys q&as you would know its not about this at all. if you like a band once, you have to like everything ever since. unless you're a fucking phony. then billy aint got time for you boy.

Elphenor 09-17-2018 10:42 AM

so weird for him to straight up answer that question

the answer:

"I choose to sound like ass"

eviltimeban 09-17-2018 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T&T (Post 4463812)
old way IS bad for his voice and unsustainable. but who cares, be a rock star. give it till it's gone. it sounds great.
better to burn out than to fade away.

That's what happened to Liam Gallagher. Roared away with no issues for about 8 years, and then his voice was f**ked and he never got it back.

Check out some live Oasis footage from 2005; at least Billy has never sounded like that!

Mals Marola 09-17-2018 12:00 PM

People were saying Billy "tries too hard" on vocals now. I listened to the first 2 tracks off Zeitgeist the other day and the main thing that struck me was how little effort it sounded like he was putting into the vocals - and what's more, they're damn near completely dry, mixing-wise

Anyway regarding the op, I remember everyone freaking out when As Rome Burns started getting played, on account of it sounded more or less like "old Bill" and was actually kinda aggressive vocally - at least in relation to everything else we were getting from them at the time

BurtSampson 09-17-2018 12:38 PM

Ihaguitar 09-17-2018 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FoolofaTook (Post 4463823)
"i suck these days but sometimes i choose to kick ass. for a laugh."

yes

redbreegull 09-17-2018 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emilem (Post 4463948)
if you read billys q&as you would know its not about this at all. if you like a band once, you have to like everything ever since. unless you're a fucking phony. then billy aint got time for you boy.

this pisses me off possibly more than anything, because most of us here don't think he has released much good music in the last 18 years, and we like the band so much we STILL keep following closely and listening to every release

redbreegull 09-17-2018 02:24 PM

like we were getting all excited over Silvery Sometimes before it dropped knowing that there was like a 10% chance it would be even mediocre.

apathy 09-17-2018 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BurtSampson (Post 4463978)

This sounds so spot on it turns my stomach. I'd be happy with him just respecting his old songs enough to do the vocals justice on those. He can evolve his music if he likes, but why do the pre-2000 songs have to pay the price...

Ihaguitar 09-17-2018 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apathy (Post 4463991)
This sounds so spot on it turns my stomach. I'd be happy with him just respecting his old songs enough to do the vocals justice on those. He can evolve his music if he likes, but why do the pre-2000 songs have to pay the price...

Except for the fucked up drums.

reprise85 09-17-2018 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mals Marola (Post 4463967)
People were saying Billy "tries too hard" on vocals now. I listened to the first 2 tracks off Zeitgeist the other day and the main thing that struck me was how little effort it sounded like he was putting into the vocals - and what's more, they're damn near completely dry, mixing-wise

Anyway regarding the op, I remember everyone freaking out when As Rome Burns started getting played, on account of it sounded more or less like "old Bill" and was actually kinda aggressive vocally - at least in relation to everything else we were getting from them at the time

god damn that song is hot as fuck. stupid billy not using it

Mals Marola 09-17-2018 04:29 PM

He's just givin' the kids what they want

Who needs songs like that & Burnt Orange Black when you got Widow Wake & Run2Me

Good on you, nubully, good on you...

great poster 09-17-2018 05:03 PM

Quote:

what the fuck? he's using like, 90% of his Gish era voice here. he could do that this whole time? this sounds great. fuck everything about his new voice.

Reyngel 09-17-2018 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Insight_Scoop (Post 4463805)
Billy said on instagram the other day he sings in the "old voice" live for a laugh sometimes. ITT, post performances where he has.

Here are two, queued up.

That performance of Eye isn't, in my opinion, Billy slipping back into his old voice. There are dropped consonants and terrible vibrato all over the place. "Turn... to the gates of 'ehvahhnn," etc.

I'd also say that just him trying to whine and scream isn't solely what made what his old singing style was.

I'd like to see some recent examples of Billy actually "singing" like he used to. Find some slower, mellower songs, that don't have him using terrible vibrato and dropped consonants, and I'll take back what I said in the other thread: that his voice got fucked up from many years of screaming, that a vocal coach told him to lay off and change shit up, that he now can't get out of bad-sounding habits, and that it isn't a "choice" of his.

Brisk 09-17-2018 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by great poster (Post 4464010)
what the fuck? he's using like, 90% of his Gish era voice here. he could do that this whole time? this sounds great. fuck everything about his new voice.

Was too busy listening to Mike B butcher the fill at around 50 seconds.

Gooch 09-17-2018 10:59 PM

Those videos of modern Billy singing in his old voice were hilarious! Thanks for the laugh!!!

Gooch 09-17-2018 11:01 PM

I showed some friends those videos and even they couldnt stop laughing!

T&T 09-18-2018 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eviltimeban (Post 4463966)
That's what happened to Liam Gallagher. Roared away with no issues for about 8 years, and then his voice was f**ked and he never got it back.

Check out some live Oasis footage from 2005; at least Billy has never sounded like that!

who gives a shit that oasis were a shit band in 2005

FoolofaTook 09-18-2018 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T&T (Post 4464132)
who gives a shit that oasis were a shit band in 1995

:banging:

eviltimeban 09-18-2018 05:16 AM

Quote:

That's amazing. It sounds like the record. Are there any examples of recent Tristessa performances though where he sings like "new Bill"?

He came close to the mellow / soft style a few times on the Shiny tour, at least from what I heard on the Seattle broadcast. Close, but not exact. Vibrato and the catch in his throat ruined it.

It's strange to admit that the closest he's come on record has been during the "for lovers" section on Anaise on MtaE. Again, close but no banana. He did the soft-sigh / double tracked voice on those parts, but did use vibrato. That's the closest I've heard on record.

And snarly Bill appeared on One and All but again, not quite.