Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   General Chat Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   COVID-19 #2 The Mutation (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=187984)

reprise85 05-22-2020 12:53 AM

COVID-19 #2 The Mutation
 
Like you can talk about science in here and stuff but also politics and whatever related to COVID, just try to keep the other thread free of shitposting please.

Original thread for posterity: http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=187716

reprise85 05-22-2020 12:55 AM

also:


smashingjj 05-22-2020 03:57 AM

well so much for not shitposting

duovamp 05-22-2020 04:57 AM

Seriously?

FoolofaTook 05-22-2020 07:19 AM

The dude on the left is knocking on an invisible door.

yo soy el mejor 05-22-2020 07:36 AM

just the facts, ma'am

ovary 05-22-2020 07:44 PM

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020...l-roubini.html

The economist (and host of a biweekly economic news broadcast) does expect things to get better before they get worse: He foresees a slow, lackluster (i.e., “U-shaped”) economic rebound in the pandemic’s immediate aftermath. But he insists that this recovery will quickly collapse beneath the weight of the global economy’s accumulated debts. Specifically, Roubini argues that the massive private debts accrued during both the 2008 crash and COVID-19 crisis will durably depress consumption and weaken the short-lived recovery. Meanwhile, the aging of populations across the West will further undermine growth while increasing the fiscal burdens of states already saddled with hazardous debt loads. Although deficit spending is necessary in the present crisis, and will appear benign at the onset of recovery, it is laying the kindling for an inflationary conflagration by mid-decade. As the deepening geopolitical rift between the United States and China triggers a wave of deglobalization, negative supply shocks akin those of the 1970s are going to raise the cost of real resources, even as hyperexploited workers suffer perpetual wage and benefit declines. Prices will rise, but growth will peter out, since ordinary people will be forced to pare back their consumption more and more. Stagflation will beget depression. And through it all, humanity will be beset by unnatural disasters, from extreme weather events wrought by man-made climate change to pandemics induced by our disruption of natural ecosystems.

yo soy el mejor 05-22-2020 08:49 PM

that's a big paragraph. many words and sentences smashed together. think about your audience. like, i could read all those words if they were spaced in a thoughtful way. the text on netphoria is much smaller than the site you may have gotten that from. ack! mine eyes.

Ol' Couch Ass 05-22-2020 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ovary (Post 4546632)

The economist (and host of a biweekly economic news broadcast) does expect things to get better before they get worse: He foresees a slow, lackluster (i.e., “U-shaped”) economic rebound in the pandemic’s immediate aftermath. But he insists that this recovery will quickly collapse beneath the weight of the global economy’s accumulated debts. Specifically, Roubini argues that the massive private debts accrued during both the 2008 crash and COVID-19 crisis will durably depress consumption and weaken the short-lived recovery. Meanwhile, the aging of populations across the West will further undermine growth while increasing the fiscal burdens of states already saddled with hazardous debt loads. Although deficit spending is necessary in the present crisis, and will appear benign at the onset of recovery, it is laying the kindling for an inflationary conflagration by mid-decade. As the deepening geopolitical rift between the United States and China triggers a wave of deglobalization, negative supply shocks akin those of the 1970s are going to raise the cost of real resources, even as hyperexploited workers suffer perpetual wage and benefit declines. Prices will rise, but growth will peter out, since ordinary people will be forced to pare back their consumption more and more. Stagflation will beget depression. And through it all, humanity will be beset by unnatural disasters, from extreme weather events wrought by man-made climate change to pandemics induced by our disruption of natural ecosystems.

My brain read this like Pee-Wee giving a basement rant under a lone, harsh light.

ovary 05-23-2020 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yo soy el mejor (Post 4546640)
that's a big paragraph. many words and sentences smashed together. think about your audience. like, i could read all those words if they were spaced in a thoughtful way. the text on netphoria is much smaller than the site you may have gotten that from. ack! mine eyes.

good luck in grad school

duovamp 05-23-2020 06:48 AM

Poll: will massive amounts of guns protect me from the covids?
1. yes
2. yes
3. spa_cedsslol

yo soy el mejor 05-23-2020 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ovary (Post 4546674)
good luck in grad school

right cause i'm sure everything i read will be just like ur posts on netphoria. same forum background color and font and everything, too

reprise85 05-23-2020 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ovary (Post 4546632)
https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020...l-roubini.html

The economist (and host of a biweekly economic news broadcast) does expect things to get better before they get worse: He foresees a slow, lackluster (i.e., “U-shaped”) economic rebound in the pandemic’s immediate aftermath. But he insists that this recovery will quickly collapse beneath the weight of the global economy’s accumulated debts. Specifically, Roubini argues that the massive private debts accrued during both the 2008 crash and COVID-19 crisis will durably depress consumption and weaken the short-lived recovery. Meanwhile, the aging of populations across the West will further undermine growth while increasing the fiscal burdens of states already saddled with hazardous debt loads. Although deficit spending is necessary in the present crisis, and will appear benign at the onset of recovery, it is laying the kindling for an inflationary conflagration by mid-decade. As the deepening geopolitical rift between the United States and China triggers a wave of deglobalization, negative supply shocks akin those of the 1970s are going to raise the cost of real resources, even as hyperexploited workers suffer perpetual wage and benefit declines. Prices will rise, but growth will peter out, since ordinary people will be forced to pare back their consumption more and more. Stagflation will beget depression. And through it all, humanity will be beset by unnatural disasters, from extreme weather events wrought by man-made climate change to pandemics induced by our disruption of natural ecosystems.

well that is bleak as fuck isn't it

Disco King 05-23-2020 01:49 PM

Even though forecasting the global economy is the most interesting part of economics to us laypeople, my understanding is that very little scholarship in the field is devoted to that, and that most economists don't presume to be able to predict how the entire world economy will look in a few years. Instead, they devote their attention to more bounded questions.

smashingjj 05-23-2020 01:53 PM

he's white! You don't need to have any basic humanity in you to deal with his shit!

redbreegull 05-23-2020 03:02 PM

You sure he’s white? I’m getting no readings from the board’s EWHDA (early warning honky detection apparatus)

ovary 05-24-2020 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disco King (Post 4546726)
Even though forecasting the global economy is the most interesting part of economics to us laypeople, my understanding is that very little scholarship in the field is devoted to that, and that most economists don't presume to be able to predict how the entire world economy will look in a few years. Instead, they devote their attention to more bounded questions.

well, yeah, you could say something similar about any academic field.

MyOneAndOnly 05-25-2020 05:25 PM

Can't imagine why the KKK and Nazis love this government


Quote:



MyOneAndOnly 05-25-2020 05:26 PM

Human Capital Stock

Disco King 05-25-2020 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ovary (Post 4546831)
well, yeah, you could say something similar about any academic field.

Yes, most marine biologists don't presume to be able to predict how the entire world economy will look in a few years, either.

ovary 05-25-2020 06:55 PM

they also don't research what the whole ocean will look like in 5 years, but if i wanted an answer to that question i would trust a marine biologist over other voices.

either way the economy is fucked. as someone generally in favor of degrowth tho, hard to get too upset abt it. i have been thinking degrowth is inevitable, and since there is zero chance of policy makers moving that direction thoughtfully/deliberately, itll have to be a painful process.

buzzard 05-25-2020 06:59 PM

Can we get you to flesh that out a little?

MyOneAndOnly 05-25-2020 07:11 PM

one of my friends tested positive for COVID. She's ok right now but sick at home. She's a nurse and midwife. But she's been around a lot of COVID patients.

ovary 05-25-2020 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buzzard (Post 4546965)
Can we get you to flesh that out a little?

i'll flesh you out

FoolofaTook 05-25-2020 07:40 PM


buzzard 05-25-2020 07:44 PM

I hope that involves fattening foods and an expanding waistline. Hear you've got chickens.

MyOneAndOnly 05-26-2020 09:56 AM

AMERICA IS NOW GREAT


myosis 05-26-2020 11:04 AM

:banging:


yo soy el mejor 05-26-2020 01:10 PM

i bet that was fun to make!

smashingjj 05-26-2020 02:42 PM

wow
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MyOneAndOnly (Post 4547032)
AMERICA IS NOW GREAT


man Idiocracy wasn't that much ahead of its time after all


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:11 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Smashing Pumpkins, Alternative Music
& General Discussion Message Board and Forums
www.netphoria.org - Copyright © 1998-2019