Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   General Chat Archive (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   On the brink of default (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=173641)

sppunk 07-22-2011 07:01 PM

On the brink of default

Boehner has taken his ball and gone home effectively; shit's hitting the fan in SC tonight/this weekend.

IF there is a default, a lot of people are fucked.

duovamp 07-22-2011 07:27 PM

If I were Barack, here's how those talks would go down.

John Boehner: Well, I'm not voting for any tax increase, that simple. And my constituents agree. We don't even want to raise the debt ceiling. America's tax and spend pol-
Barack Obama: LISTEN TO ME FUCKHEAD. YOU DON'T RUN THIS COUNTRY, I DO. I RUN THIS FUCKING COUNTRY. I'M THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES. *flips huge 40-foot long table over*

Trotskilicious 07-22-2011 07:33 PM

It's more like

"We'll slash the budget and ask for no tax increases."
"Nah, I'm scared of the Tea Party."
"Me too."
"Hold me."
"Only if you hold me."

Order 66 07-22-2011 07:36 PM

this has to be the dumbest debate of my lifetime. you have a faction of the GOP who thinks its perfectly fine to default, and another who's a little more sane but they don't want to discuss revenues AT ALL. mindblowing

anyway my concern with going the McConnell route is the markets won't treat it like a genuine raising of the ceiling and shit will hit the fan anyway. but on the other hand, i don't see how those 80 or so teatard freshmen will vote yes, so it seems the only way out right now.

whether there's a deal or no deal i think it will be raised. but there's just no excuse for it to be running this close. this is definitely the worst congress in modern US history

Trotskilicious 07-22-2011 07:53 PM

God the Tea Party is the worst thing ever.

sppunk 07-22-2011 07:56 PM

Best part is Boehner admitted his plan raised $100m through increased taxes.

sppunk 07-22-2011 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Order 66 (Post 3743625)
this has to be the dumbest debate of my lifetime. you have a faction of the GOP who thinks its perfectly fine to default, and another who's a little more sane but they don't want to discuss revenues AT ALL. mindblowing

anyway my concern with going the McConnell route is the markets won't treat it like a genuine raising of the ceiling and shit will hit the fan anyway. but on the other hand, i don't see how those 80 or so teatard freshmen will vote yes, so it seems the only way out right now.

whether there's a deal or no deal i think it will be raised. but there's just no excuse for it to be running this close. this is definitely the worst congress in modern US history

Worse leadership for sure, both executive and legislative.

redbull 07-22-2011 08:01 PM

yeah this is pretty annoying. I wonder what my taxes will when i'm 40? should just kill everyone when they hit retirement age

TuralyonW3 07-22-2011 08:18 PM

Obama pretty much laid it on the line right in the middle of the 6 o'clock news

JokeyLoki 07-22-2011 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trotskilicious (Post 3743634)

^

killtrocity 07-22-2011 09:17 PM

Boner loves talking about helping small businesses and then not taxing the fuck out of corporations

killtrocity 07-22-2011 09:17 PM

because government can do no right and small is beautiful

SlingeroGuitaro 07-22-2011 09:21 PM

That's what his mom told him when she sucked his dick

bahnzah 07-22-2011 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trotskilicious (Post 3743634)

Trotskilicious 07-22-2011 09:31 PM

I sometimes wonder if the GOP won't just go bust soon like the Whigs.

Order 66 07-22-2011 09:52 PM

america is too steeped in dumb. they'll keep voting for them again and again and again

Order 66 07-22-2011 09:53 PM

i mean really after bush you'd think there'd be at least a 4-6 year break from sweeping these people into office

Trotskilicious 07-22-2011 10:01 PM

I think that's because the education system has been terrible since the 70s

duovamp 07-23-2011 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sppunk (Post 3743637)
Best part is Boehner admitted his plan raised $100m through increased taxes.

:rofl:

Whoooaa, 100 million. That's about the cost of one of Pittsburgh's bridges.

Nimrod's Son 07-23-2011 11:29 AM

i am confused why you all seem to think that raising taxes in the middle of a recession is a wise idea

hey maybe we can save some money by pulling the fuck out of libya and afghanistan and iraq

duovamp 07-23-2011 11:46 AM

Record corporate profits for one thing.

duovamp 07-23-2011 11:47 AM

Also cut and run is PUSSY DIPLOMACY.

Order 66 07-23-2011 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nimrod's Son (Post 3743812)
i am confused why you all seem to think that raising taxes in the middle of a recession is a wise idea

i don't understand this talking point. is it okay to raise taxes when we're out of a recession? and it seems to imply taxes will be hiked across the board when nobody is suggesting that

the GOP is behind the idea that we can't touch the issue of revenues at all. which, if you're talking about balancing a nations budget, is insane

redbreegull 07-23-2011 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nimrod's Son (Post 3743812)

hey maybe we can save some money by pulling the fuck out of libya and afghanistan and iraq

because austerity is a failed policy despite millions of morons like yourself being unable to comprehend that trickle down isn't a real thing

Nimrod's Son 07-23-2011 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duovamp (Post 3743813)
Record corporate profits for one thing.

A lot of those record profits are due to companies shipping jobs overseas because America has become a hostile environment for companies looking to hire.

I do love though that the same people who bitch about the fact that companies are sending jobs overseas are usually the same ones who support soaking them on various taxes and regulatory fees.

Trotskilicious 07-23-2011 02:11 PM

they've been doing that for 30 years, nimrod.

Trotskilicious 07-23-2011 02:13 PM

Taxes have been cut and cut and cut and it's obviously not working to create anything more than disastrous bubbles and gross displays of conspicuous consumption, fraud, and carelessness, except to you.

Nimrod's Son 07-23-2011 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Order 66 (Post 3743816)
i don't understand this talking point. is it okay to raise taxes when we're out of a recession? and it seems to imply taxes will be hiked across the board when nobody is suggesting that

the GOP is behind the idea that we can't touch the issue of revenues at all. which, if you're talking about balancing a nations budget, is insane

When you're trying to get out of a recession, the last thing you want to do is further burden the economy. The government is taking in less revenue because right now less people are paying taxes, and those that are are paying less due to the fact of unemployed and underemployed people who used to contribute to revenue. To then push the burden to "make up" that revenue on others instead of doing what all Americans are forced to do - cut back - is insane.

The government (both sides) won't cut spending on their pet issues because those are their campaign contributors. When you take in less money, you need to spend less. It's that simple.

I would love to see someone propose something along the lines of: we're taking in x% less than expected, so we will cut all government funding of all programs and services by x%, across the board. Will that cause some in government to lose their jobs? Sure. But why should government employees keep their jobs off the backs of the taxpayers while those in the private sector get no such assurances?

Nimrod's Son 07-23-2011 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trotskilicious (Post 3743846)
Taxes have been cut and cut and cut and it's obviously not working to create anything more than disastrous bubbles and gross displays of conspicuous consumption, fraud, and carelessness, except to you.

Lower taxes = fraud? Explain this reasoning.

Trotskilicious 07-23-2011 02:20 PM

I was thinking about Enron and all the insider trading and etc.

Way to focus on that, if I struck it the point remains. The dominant economic philosophy for the past 30 years has been supply side economics and it doesn't do anything but destroy the government, redistribute the wealth upwards, and shrink the middle class.