Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   Pumpkins Archive (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Reissue of machina 2 on vinyl... (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=122841)

bellis123 07-13-2006 01:41 PM

Reissue of machina 2 on vinyl...
 
I don't know about you guys, but I enjoy listening to music on vinyl much better than any other source. The sound is much better in my opinion.

I think that when SP puts out their new album they should re release Machina 2 on vinyl along with maybe some other rare material they have. It could also help alot of people round out their SP collections. Maybe dumb but just a idea?

Brent

RenewRevive 07-13-2006 02:09 PM

Cool idea. Although I would have to get something to play this, vinyl? on. Hmm, could prove expensive. Could work in theory though.

waltermcphilp 07-13-2006 02:11 PM

i don;t see how people say vinyl sounds better than cds. aren't cds made with extraordinary sound quality in mind?

tcm 07-13-2006 02:27 PM

they're the cutting edge of high-fidelity technology. they're remarkable. i wish i had lasers in my ears so i could hear how good they sound.

Jackbox 07-13-2006 02:36 PM

CDs are made of magic.

davin 07-13-2006 02:41 PM

vinyl may not be technically better but in some respects it does sound "warmer" to the ear in terms of the mid-range and mid-bass sounds. at least thats what i think.

thicker jukebox vinyl often sounds duller or more bass-heavy...and flexis sound "brighter"...but overall I think digital sounds very "clean" whereas some people prefer the slightly dirtier sound of vinyl.

this is all very subjective, so take it fwiw.

waltermcphilp 07-13-2006 03:04 PM

if they need to re release anything its their previous albums with the appropiate b sides. perhaps some 10th (15th for gish and 13th for sd) anniversary cds? wasn't something metioned about them doing that? maybe?

Villarelo 07-13-2006 03:18 PM

The only think that I don't like about vinyls is that they don't fit in my car cd player. :-P

Zorgon 07-13-2006 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waltermcphilp
wasn't something metioned about them doing that? maybe?

lol

Junebug 07-13-2006 04:42 PM

bad idea, Brent.


brent is such a weird name.

Sigma 07-13-2006 04:57 PM

It all comes down to digital vs. analog. Digital media, like CDs, approximates the waveform of a sound as best as it can by constructing the curved waves out of very fine incrementation of flat lines, whereas analog media can record/play back the original/naturally curved waveforms themselves because they are physically recorded onto the surface of the record. Think of it as the difference between a mosaic and a painting.

Some people prefer the more natural sound of vinyl and some like the sound of digital better.

CrabbMan 07-13-2006 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Villarelo
The only think that I don't like about vinyls is that they don't fit in my car cd player. :-P

45s baby!

CrabbMan 07-13-2006 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sigma
Some people prefer the more natural sound of vinyl and some like the sound of digital better.

I don't think anyone really prefers the sound of digital if both are in premo condition with excellent mastering and fine equipment, the vinyl will sound quantitatively better. The CD could only reproduce an approximation of the signal the vinyl produces (and by signal i just mean sound), and an approximation can never be better than the original.
However, the advantage to CDs is the convenience. CDs have, in general, excellent sound quality; in most systems/situations, you couldn't tell the difference between CD and vinyl. But CDs, when handled properly, will not degrade in quality each time you listen. And frankly, you don't have to handle them as carefully. And they are smaller, you don't have to flip them over have way through the album, you can skip tracks, etc. The advantage to CDs is convenience, not sound quality.

ZEROpumpkins 07-13-2006 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waltermcphilp
i don;t see how people say vinyl sounds better than cds. aren't cds made with extraordinary sound quality in mind?

Cd's are way better quality but Vinyls are cooler. Unfortunately, my record player is broken, so if M2 was reissued, I would not be able to enjoy it's vinyl-y goodness. I think if it was reissued, it would be onto CD.

Boycott Graceland 07-13-2006 10:06 PM

dear brent,

no way jose!

regards,
billy corgan

The Melty Man 07-14-2006 03:17 AM

Things Billy will never do:

1. Reform the Smashing Pumpkins
2. Re-release Machina 2 to the public
3. Release the Metro DVD

So it remains to be seen if he does, hey...

I could add re-release The Aeroplane Flies High to this list too

tcm 07-14-2006 03:23 AM

please stop teasing us and add it already. it's cruel for you to play with our emotions so.

The Melty Man 07-14-2006 03:31 AM

4. Re-release The Aeroplane Flies High
5. Listen to Zwan ever again (except when he's forced to hire Pajo and Sweeney as touring guitarists for SP)

And the list of things Billy has said he'll never do is only outnumber by the list of things he's said he's gonna do and hasn't.... the Metro DVD actually comes under that one.

myosis 07-14-2006 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZEROpumpkins
Cd's are way better quality but Vinyls are cooler.

why exactly would you say that CDs are way better quality ? they're more durable, they're more compact, easier to carry, but they don't sound better than analog pressings. get sgt. pepper on vinyl and on CD and listen to both. you'll see. of course these days the techniques of digital mastering have greatly improved, so the difference becomes less and less noticeable. but CDs from the 80's are awful. compare the cure rereleases, for example.

brendo_91 07-14-2006 08:11 AM

Vinyl has limited frequency response, dictated by the speed of the record and the width of the grooves, etc - 45's sound better than 33's for example, and 78's better again - but you get piss all play time on those.

Old vinyl was mastered with less bass, because a big bass wave would push the cutting needle out of the groove. Newer vinyl is better.

This is probably in part why people think Vinyl sounds like shit - because they've only heard grandma's old jazz 33's on a worn out old player etc.

Anlwrm 07-15-2006 01:41 AM

I'll take a record over a bunch of 0's and 1's which is what cd's are anyday.

wpc33 07-15-2006 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junebug
brent is such a weird name.

He was a bear





And analogue is scientifically superior. Duh.

tcm 07-15-2006 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anlwrm
I'll take a record over a bunch of 0's and 1's which is what cd's are anyday.

do you know what makes up a record?

atoms. and what determines the properties of each atom?

the arrangement of protons and electrons in the atom.

protons and electrons. 0s and 1s.

everything around you is written in binary.



deal with it.

Anlwrm 07-15-2006 07:47 AM

Thanks for the science lesson fucktard. Vinyl still sounds superior to digitally remastered sound.

Junebug 07-15-2006 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anlwrm
Thanks for the science lesson fucktard. Vinyl still sounds superior to digitally remastered sound.

tou-chy

tcm 07-15-2006 08:00 AM

well thanks for the lesson about what CDs are.

isn't it fascinating to think about, though? if you had a CD big enough, you could put all the matter in the universe on there! wouldn't be so simple with vinyl, i reckon.

ZEROpumpkins 07-16-2006 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brendo_91
Vinyl has limited frequency response, dictated by the speed of the record and the width of the grooves, etc - 45's sound better than 33's for example, and 78's better again - but you get piss all play time on those.

Old vinyl was mastered with less bass, because a big bass wave would push the cutting needle out of the groove. Newer vinyl is better.

This is probably in part why people think Vinyl sounds like shit - because they've only heard grandma's old jazz 33's on a worn out old player etc.

You don't have 2060 +rep for nothing, Brendo.

RenewRevive 07-16-2006 01:01 PM

Why the fuck can't they just make CD's out of Vinyl, so we (the consumer) could enjoy the benefits both mediums have to offer? Yeah, you know why not - because it'll cut into those big fucking corporate profit margins. Man, I'm just an idealist living in a fucked-up world...

Pretzel Logic 07-16-2006 01:06 PM

They won't even be producing CDs anymore in the next decade or so. I go to Best Buy and they don't even fucking restock CDs. All these people downloading illegally and go to fucking hell. And people who buy off itunes and other digital stores. What's the fucking point? I'll take the real PHYSICAL album any day over some computer files.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Smashing Pumpkins, Alternative Music
& General Discussion Message Board and Forums
www.netphoria.org - Copyright 1998-2014