Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   General Chat Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Rate the last movie you watched (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=182317)

LaBelle 02-15-2015 10:31 PM

Rate the last movie you watched

- Jupiter Ascending - 1/5
A steaming pile of hot garbage. This movie suuuuucks

Mooney 02-15-2015 11:56 PM

whiplash - 3/5

it was okay. overrated. fairly understated visually, and considering i never connected with the main character because i thought the actor sucked, i never really got immersed. j.k. simmons did a pretty badass job, though.

Starla 02-16-2015 05:00 AM

The Homesman.... I love westerns and thought I might like this, but it left me feeling pretty sad.

Mo 02-16-2015 05:24 AM

http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=179180

Jerry's Ray 02-16-2015 05:41 AM

Ouija: So adorable. 3/10

Elijah Moon 02-16-2015 06:23 AM

Lucy: 5/10

Pretty silly, didn't really enjoy it at all

Jerry's Ray 02-16-2015 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elijah Moon (Post 4156120)
Lucy: 5/10

Pretty silly, didn't really enjoy it at all

Felt the same way. This had amazing potential and I expected more from Luc Besson.

MyOneAndOnly 02-16-2015 07:24 AM

Fury - 9/10

excellent war movie. Nazis are the best villians

vixnix 02-16-2015 08:09 AM

Big Hero 6 - 7.8/10

Mooney 02-16-2015 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottytheoneand (Post 4156126)
Fury - 9/10

i was enjoying this for the first two acts...a really great realistic, gritty war movie. the ending was so ridiculously hollywood i wanted to barf.

MyOneAndOnly 02-16-2015 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mooney (Post 4156148)
i was enjoying this for the first two acts...a really great realistic, gritty war movie. the ending was so ridiculously hollywood i wanted to barf.

I was OK with the ending. It was told from the perspective of the newbie on the tank crew. And in that sense it hits on a lot of personal narratives I've read from WW2. Like panic during battle, the shocking horror of actual war vs what they were trained for, etc. etc. If they'd made the movie without the new kid it wouldn't have been much of a story, because there would have been nothing to contrast the brutality of the American soldiers. Plus, the kid's fate seemed obvious to me from the beginning, but that didn't bother me. It felt like it had to end that way.

In some ways the film reminded me of The Thin Red Line. Which also showed a very gritty, violent WW2 story but in the Pacific, which was arguably much more bloody than the European front.

october 02-16-2015 11:58 AM

I checked out the Kingsman the other day, it was really a lot of fun. Very British and nice to see a big budget R rated action spy flick for once. Samuel Jacksons Lisp was a tad much though.

8/10

Mooney 02-16-2015 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottytheoneand (Post 4156164)
I was OK with the ending. It was told from the perspective of the newbie on the tank crew. And in that sense it hits on a lot of personal narratives I've read from WW2. Like panic during battle, the shocking horror of actual war vs what they were trained for, etc. etc. If they'd made the movie without the new kid it wouldn't have been much of a story, because there would have been nothing to contrast the brutality of the American soldiers. Plus, the kid's fate seemed obvious to me from the beginning, but that didn't bother me. It felt like it had to end that way.

In some ways the film reminded me of The Thin Red Line. Which also showed a very gritty, violent WW2 story but in the Pacific, which was arguably much more bloody than the European front.

by ending i didn't mean the outcome, i meant the entire final battle. although, apparently it was rooted in at the very least someone's account of something similar that happened in world war 2. but why would the sniper let 200 of his buddies get killed before taking the easy, clear shot that he would have had all along?

ilikeplanets 02-16-2015 05:56 PM

trailer park boys: countdown to liquor day

i laughed

Tchocky 02-16-2015 11:32 PM

Kingsman: The Secret Service

Very silly, fun movie. Stylish action, some genuine LOL moments, and it was entertaining to see someone like Colin Firth kick ass. Yes, it was over the top, but almost never in a detrimental way. Will see again.

B+

dreams of glass 02-16-2015 11:41 PM

The Big Lebowski

The Omega Concern 02-17-2015 12:51 AM

Guardians of the Galaxy:

no need to rate it. I was excited to see it when some buzz on it was the funnest sci-fi since The 5th Element...then was thoroughly underwhelmed.

toase 02-17-2015 01:49 AM

Oh cool another thread

timecrimes 8/10
the wind rises 9/10

The exploding boy 02-17-2015 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poots (Post 4156310)
Tinker Taylor Soldier Spy. I thouht it was excellent. A bit hard to follow; I'll have to watch it again to catch everythin. If you love Cold War spy stuff, it's top notch. Huge names in it too. I've never seen Gary Oldman underplay a role so much but wow, was he good. Solid A all-around.

He doesn't underplay, he just plays. He just got everyone used to scenery chewing. He was always a good actor, i just think he was probably on coke for a long while. Like the whole 90's

The exploding boy 02-17-2015 03:25 PM

I guess but i've read some of the Smiley books by Le Carre and its kinda how hes supposed to be. That's probably why it didn't strike me.

Tchocky 02-17-2015 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Omega Concern (Post 4156309)
Guardians of the Galaxy:

no need to rate it. I was excited to see it when some buzz on it was the funnest sci-fi since The 5th Element...then was thoroughly underwhelmed.

Booooooo!

Best Marvel Cinematic Universe movie since Avengers.

The Omega Concern 02-17-2015 10:03 PM

That movie danced around the edge of greatness but decided to play it safe. At least The 5th Element was half a great movie.

LaBelle 02-17-2015 10:49 PM

The Guest - 4/5

This film is really damn cool, close to being awesome. I thought the whole third act felt rushed and unsatisfying. But i'd recommend watching it. Lots of great moments.
I'd also recommend "You're Next" by the same director, Adam Wingard.

Trotskilicious 02-17-2015 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottytheoneand (Post 4156126)
Fury - 9/10

this movie is dumb as fuck, third act ruined something quite good

first two acts: B
third act: F

Trotskilicious 02-17-2015 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mooney (Post 4156148)

IKR?

not only hollywood but totally merica fuck yeah

Trotskilicious 02-17-2015 11:19 PM

a whole platoon of SS nearly thwarted by four guys in a diabled tank

Trotskilicious 02-17-2015 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottytheoneand (Post 4156164)

In some ways the film reminded me of The Thin Red Line.

boy howdy

teh b0lly!!1 02-18-2015 03:55 AM

so I watched Spring Breakers, a movie by Harmony Korine. first time seeing his stuff.
man it really is a mixed bag! the cinematography is great, the color palette gives the entire movie a bubblegum pop summer hit feel. James Franco puts up a pretty great performance as a complete lowlife douchebag small time gangster.

the downsides of it are, it most definitely objectifies women to the point of it not being there for the exploration, but for the exploitation and indulgence of the director.
also the plot is just not strong enough, and even though it tries to be very sophisticated and stylish, it often falls short (though there are some truly brilliant moments on it). at some point he incorporates Everytime by Britney Spears, just the most brilliant choice, it fits with the tone of the movie so profoundly, but it kind of goes to waste because he doesn't know how to hold it down and pace it correctly.

reading a little about Harmony Korine, i gather that what he mainly cares about is conveying a mood and things that are 'outside' the story arc. he says if you're left with an image from the movie stuck in your head, then it's a success.
I guess he totally hit the mark considering where he's coming from, but I think it's an occasionally brilliant, somewhat underbaked film. I will keep an eye out for his next films though