Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Machina Reissue (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=176221)

eyeboogers 05-24-2014 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlingeroGuitaro (Post 4062501)
i hate that they caved and let howie master adore. all of the extra discs that he's done have been absolutely terrible.

Bob Ludwig remastered "Adore". Weinberg must have been working on the extras.

SlingeroGuitaro 05-24-2014 04:13 AM

Really? In one of Billy's posts I thought he said howie mastered the actual album this time. I haven't seen any mention of Ludwig since TAFH

Raskolnikov 05-25-2014 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy Corgan
“I’m also not opposed to asking current artists to participate, singing songs as such on the compositions meant for other character’s voices,” Billy adds.

That is the one part of his quote that got me nervous. I'm mighty opposed to Tommy Lee (or, to be more practical: Sierra Swan) singing between polished Machina tracks.

While I could definitely go for a firm date/more info on Adore, I don't doubt that it is happening for sure. Still not gonna get too excited about Machina until it actually shows up for sale: just sounds like a big undertaking.

amoergosum 05-25-2014 03:09 AM

Quote:

“I’m also not opposed to asking current artists to participate, singing songs as such on the compositions meant for other character’s voices,” Billy adds.
>>>

panda show 05-25-2014 04:04 AM

billy just needs to cut the crap.. I mean, the only thing I was even looking forward to in the machina reissue was some arising footage being released, since I'm pretty sure all of the shows were recorded.. but I'm not sure we'll be getting any of that.

billy needs to get it in his head that nobody cares about the machina storyline anymore, or whatever concept/rock opera he wants to make out of it. it was a bad and weak idea in the first place, it seems as if he came up with it just because he knew the band was gonna end (in late 1998) and he wanted them to have some kind of spectacular-triple album-rock opera-concept ending in which the band would have to act the exaggerated versions of themselves (as they were portrayed in the media), just because...... he wanted to.
and he wanted to do such a thing - forgetting that there's no way his record company will let him after the poor sales of adore.. that completely ruined the already weak concept, what added more was the departure of d'arcy midway through the recording of the album and the band (besides billy) being completely disinterested in the concept..
all of that just caused to the band to end in a way billy didn't hope to, without them making a last big record.. instead, he made half a record, which was a commercial failure, then released the other half online for free, without anyone understanding whatever the fuck the concept actually was, and the band disintegrated leaving billy disappointed, so he could once again blame everyone else for his failure.

so what makes him think people will actually be interested to see a concept album (which was ruined a long time ago) in its "true form"? especially whan half of the 'concept' is missing (the band playing the characters and all that shit)..

amoergosum 05-25-2014 04:28 AM

By the way...this would have been interesting >>>

Quote:

wow...10 years since the 'last' old SP break-up show...how time flies...i'll post some reflections on that show on here later today. hope everyone is having a GREAT day...going to the ocean now to say my prayers and make amends xo

first thing that comes to mind is that we only had about 6 days to prepare the about 14 or so extra songs that we added to try to make the show both historic and memorable. normally this much work in such a short time would have been met with resistance, but everyone was in good spirits to have the 11 months of touring finally over. my original plan was to book the metro out for the whole month of January and make one last album, writing songs and recording them live in rehearsal and then playing them at night at the 'shows'...can't remember how many shows we would have done per week? maybe 3 or 4. Iha+ Auf Der Maur hated the idea and said no.... a shame, could have been amazing. band was tight at that point and i was motivated to write more.
Source:
http://billycorgan.livejournal.com/45048.html

ButterflyBullet 05-25-2014 04:28 AM

Quote:

Don't you fucking dare. I've not waited this long for you to fix Machina only to make it worse.

slunken 05-25-2014 10:59 AM

Seriously

amayain 05-25-2014 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ButterflyBullet (Post 4063082)
Don't you fucking dare. I've not waited this long for you to fix Machina only to make it worse.

That's what happens when you get your hopes up for a Billy project. Set your expectations as low as possible and... well... you'll still get disappointed, but less so.

Funbags 05-25-2014 11:47 AM

He's the alt rock George Lucas.

Catherine Wheel 05-25-2014 11:51 AM

He's also the Jim Morrison of Generation X

VoxUpDoc 05-26-2014 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ButterflyBullet (Post 4063082)

And by "asking current artists to participate" he means Sierra Swan and Tommy Lee.

ButterflyBullet 05-26-2014 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amayain (Post 4063128)
That's what happens when you get your hopes up for a Billy project. Set your expectations as low as possible and... well... you'll still get disappointed, but less so.

True, I was pleasantly surprised by TAFH.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woody (Post 4063361)
And by "asking current artists to participate" he means Sierra Swan and Tommy Lee.

Oh god no.

Order 66 05-26-2014 09:55 AM

everytime i listen to machina it just screams "unfinished" to me. i think this is the right route even though i'm highly skeptical he'll go through with all that

Modern90's 05-27-2014 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pavementtune (Post 4062472)

I hate how he called himself W.P.C it is infuriating

Shallowed 06-30-2014 06:54 PM

Quote:

MEMORABILIA MONDAYS: MACHINA 2 (25/25)

July 1, 2014

From Billy: "This true copy of the entire Machina 2 set was procured, as best as I can tell, by sale from the fan I'd sent it to; and is the copy from which the initial bootlegs were culled from. But as was custom to that era that same fan also betrayed other confidences by letting out other materials that I'd asked him to keep; costing in effect confidences from others far more innocent. Which explains the availability of certain materials, and how Machina 2 as a project did not come out sequentially as I'd asked.

There are other copies, of course, 24 of them, one of which is in the possession of my friend Robert Smith; who's music has inspired me so. And last I heard the Q101 copy (a local Chicago radio station) may be once more offered for sale. The last listing if I recall set at around 10,000$US.

Lastly, I look forward to reuniting Machina 1+2 next year, with which we'll probably offer this set as a reissue amongst other materials.
What "other materials" is he referring to? Machina II wasn't leaked the same time as anything else, was it?

Ram27 06-30-2014 06:57 PM

In the Arms of Sheep

Ram27 06-30-2014 06:57 PM

#topsecret

magikarp99 06-30-2014 07:18 PM

Order 66 06-30-2014 08:00 PM

thats some killer blotter duude

juliana 06-30-2014 08:17 PM

Do we know which fan he is talking about?

D. 06-30-2014 08:31 PM

rat bastard quinto

redbull 06-30-2014 08:36 PM

pretty sure its not quinto. "other materials" that were released likely refers to stuff like the FAEOMM tape and Machina acoustic demos...

Rider 06-30-2014 09:10 PM

Ahhh good old WPC nothing but grand over the top plans and nailing himself to the cross as he screams about his betrayers since 1994.

Rider 06-30-2014 09:16 PM

Oh and the Robert Smith name drop for no reason at all, just sends it over the top.

slunken 06-30-2014 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rider (Post 4072427)
Oh and the Robert Smith name drop for no reason at all, just sends it over the top.

Seriously

Rider 06-30-2014 09:24 PM

I have this vision in my head of Robert Smith using his copy of Machina ii to prop up a shaky table.

I'd love to see one of those flash movies where Billy shows up at Robert Smiths house and it gets all awkward when Billy asks Robert where he keeps it.

slunken 06-30-2014 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rider (Post 4072429)
I have this vision in my head of Robert Smith using his copy of Machina ii to prop up a shaky table.

I'd love to see one of those flash movies where Billy shows up at Robert Smiths house and it gets all awkward when Billy asks Robert where he keeps it.

"ummm yea mate its just ummmm uhhhhh... ...its right over ummmm... well i could have sworn i put it over.... well you see i recently had this redecorated and i umm..."

slunken 06-30-2014 10:23 PM

"also remember that time i phoned in vocals for that bee gees cover? what the fuck were we thinking?"

Shallowed 06-30-2014 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redbull (Post 4072418)
pretty sure its not quinto. "other materials" that were released likely refers to stuff like the FAEOMM tape and Machina acoustic demos...

He instructed FAEOMM to be leaked though, didn't he? I don't think the acoustic demos were obtained or leaked with permission.

Shallowed 06-30-2014 11:25 PM

Fix the micropenis porblem Pakooler

Shallowed 06-30-2014 11:26 PM

wasn't too hard to find

Quote:

Originally Posted by wpc33 (Post 3365829)
The Machina acoustic demos has an interesting story behind it. Phil aka Mayfair aka Honeyspider told me over sushi one day a long time ago.

Some hockey player was pallin' 'round with Bolly in his big purple house. Billy gave the guy's kid a random cassette tape from a messy boxful of cassettes. Some sort of gift/gesture. The thing is, this kid didn't even like the Pumpkins. Here's where my memory gets hazy...Phil was friends with a friend of this kid. Phil's friend loved SP, and conspired to obtain this tape from the ingrate. This guy, is who leaked the cassette, although I think Phil helped a bit and wanted some credit, too, but alas, no.
/ramble

Kinda funny how Bill would hand a random tape of unreleased tracks to some kid, like anybody other than a fanatic or pro-bootlegger would care.

PS. I love the machina acoustic demos

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starchildren (Post 3366490)
I was contacted about "some tape" that I should hear. This was after the whole Marked tapes fiasco.

Girl had this tape, had gotten it from a "hockey player". Said it was stuff that wasn't out there. She sent it to me, I gave it to Todd to rip. He put it out for everyone.

that's the story, as best as I can remember from like 9 years ago. God, I was in high school back then. Seems like forever ago.

Rider 07-01-2014 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shallowed (Post 4072468)
wasn't too hard to find

The hockey player part is accurate. The kid picking a random tape out of box is not the story I know.

They way I remember hearing it, the hockey player had a daughter who was a fan and Billy gave her the tape.

Knowing what we know about Billy I don't think there is anyway in hell he would ever just let someone grab a random tape out of his demos.

Cool As Ice Cream 07-01-2014 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juliana (Post 4072414)
Do we know which fan he is talking about?

well, don't they say it's number 25 (out of 25)? doesn't that give us a clue?
where's that list?

Cool As Ice Cream 07-01-2014 02:48 AM

StArSeEd> that's Q101's alright.
StArSeEd> WXRT's is 20
ninjaprsn> StArSeEd: where did you get the numbers from?
StArSeEd> dahl's is 23, agnew's is 24, asselin's is 25
StArSeEd> shanahan's is 8
StArSeEd> corgan sr's is 7
StArSeEd> matuzak's is 6
StArSeEd> flood's is 5

Cool As Ice Cream 07-01-2014 02:49 AM

pmack!

Cool As Ice Cream 07-01-2014 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redbull (Post 4072418)

maybe he means stuff like mashed potatoes and avalon.

btw, let's not forget how monty made a hideout leak thread. is bc aware of that?

redbull 07-01-2014 03:50 AM

the leaked hideout stuff wasn't stolen from BC, and he isn't the person keeping it off LMA either (hint)

Cool As Ice Cream 07-01-2014 03:53 AM

if this is indeed pmack's copy, do you think he's pissed off that someone sent the details to bc? wouldn't one assume he'd only sell this on the condition that the new owner doesn't go around showing it off, in an attempt to avoid getting any shit about selling it?
or has he moved on so far from sp that he couldn't care less at this point? that wouldn't actually surprise me.

do you think bc already knew this copy had been sold (who knows how long ago), or did he only find out recently, when the details of this copy were sent to that memorabilia thing?

how many times would this have been sold? only once? or would there have been a whole string of owners by now? this could also explain why the current owner came forward: there's no direct connection to the receiver anymore.

T&T 07-01-2014 08:47 AM

maybe the same source of the 2007 leaks.... QAOS & Adore demos II