Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   General Chat Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   weightloss extravaganza! (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=187273)

reprise85 03-27-2019 05:10 PM

weightloss extravaganza!
 
hey so. yeah. i'm having bariatric surgery next week. i weigh a lot. probably more than the number that just came into your mind.

today i start the pre-op diet. i get to have 3 protein shakes and clear liquids (i got broth and sugar free popsicles). so far i'm ok. this until tuesday, where it's just clear liquids. and then surgery wednesday.

i got final clearance today from my doctor.

i would enjoy if other people posted also but i really just want a place to bitch when i get hungry

FoolofaTook 03-27-2019 05:22 PM

Go for it, reprise! It's gonna be tough, but you are tough, so I'm sure you'll make to the other side.

How serious is the surgery? Will you have general anesthesia?

reprise85 03-27-2019 05:29 PM

yes, it's general anesthesia. it is probably going to be laproscopic, but if they are unable to do it they will do it uh, non-laproscopically. it's serious in that it's major surgery, but you leave after one night and i can go back to work in 2 weeks. some people feel like they can go back in just a few days, even. but i mean i'm going to take off of course.

basically they cut out 75-85% of your stomach. this makes it where you can't eat as much but also removes most of the cells that make hunger causing hormones, so you're not hungry either. not for a while, anyway.

i'm probably going to lose 75-100lbs in 6 months. and about 120-150+ within a year.

wHATcOLOR 03-27-2019 05:41 PM

we believe in you!!

Disco King 03-27-2019 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reprise85 (Post 4504243)
hey so. yeah. i'm having bariatric surgery next week. i weigh a lot. probably more than the number that just came into your mind.

today i start the pre-op diet. i get to have 3 protein shakes and clear liquids (i got broth and sugar free popsicles). so far i'm ok. this until tuesday, where it's just clear liquids. and then surgery wednesday.

i got final clearance today from my doctor.

i would enjoy if other people posted also but i really just want a place to bitch when i get hungry

Wait, you mean that you've got to eat nothing but the meal-replacement shakes and clear liquids for that time period?

I would die, haha

FoolofaTook 03-27-2019 05:56 PM

ugh i hate coming out of general anesthesia. it's the worst. :(

i had a friend who underwent a similar procedure. at first he had a rough time. he kept eating way more than he could handle and that would make him get sick. but eventually he adjusted, and yeah, lost a TON of weight super fast.

good luck!

laradelocke 03-27-2019 05:56 PM

I have two friends who went through this. One has lost 200lbs since October and he is a very tall man so it kinda makes sense he lost that much, but he wasn't prepared for how quick it would be.. he looks so different it's insane.

Good luck. They're both so much happier now that they're healthier. And even anyone gives you shit for it, fuck em!

Disco King 03-27-2019 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FoolofaTook (Post 4504264)
ugh i hate coming out of general anesthesia. it's the worst. :(

Me too. Why can't I stay under anesthesia forever?

yo soy el mejor 03-27-2019 07:11 PM

my cousin had this done recently cause she was pushing 500 pounds. before the surgery i saw her at my parents' and she couldn't even sit down. she was standing behind the couch with her stomach resting over the back of it.

she's lost 150 pounds but lots of loose skin. she's gonna go back to mexico to have it removed (mexico is where she went for the procedure cause it's much cheaper and just as safe)

yo soy el mejor 03-27-2019 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disco King (Post 4504279)
Me too. Why can't I stay under anesthesia forever?

i overdosed once (total accident) and apparently they had to use defibrillators on me on the side of the road and again at the hospital. this happened to be the only time in my life i spent big bucks on a bra at 40 smackers and the medics cut the damn thing off of me. same goes for my pants. i think everything i was wearing got taken off in an expedient fashion.

after i woke up, remembered how shitty my life was, and then saw the bill, i was soooooo upset i didn't just die. /snap

never paid that bill either since i never asked to be saved. ah youth!

yo soy el mejor 03-27-2019 07:20 PM

GOOD LUCK, ERRCA.

ilikeplanets 03-27-2019 07:47 PM

I'm happy for you, everyone I know who's undergone weight loss surgery has found it pretty life changing. :) Good luck

smashingjj 03-27-2019 07:57 PM

good luck indeed! :) you'll be fine though!

D. 03-27-2019 08:55 PM

Are they going to teach you better eating habits or put you on a diet plan post-surgery??

Learning how to eat is a huuuuge factor in staying healthy. I believe in you!:)

smashingjj 03-27-2019 08:57 PM

You're the other half of me.
Soothe and heal.

yo soy el mejor 03-27-2019 09:01 PM

post/av ^

reprise85 03-27-2019 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disco King (Post 4504261)
Wait, you mean that you've got to eat nothing but the meal-replacement shakes and clear liquids for that time period?

I would die, haha

yep, that's it. and for a week after surgery also. so far i'm alright.

Quote:

Originally Posted by yo soy el mejor (Post 4504286)
my cousin had this done recently cause she was pushing 500 pounds. before the surgery i saw her at my parents' and she couldn't even sit down. she was standing behind the couch with her stomach resting over the back of it.

she's lost 150 pounds but lots of loose skin. she's gonna go back to mexico to have it removed (mexico is where she went for the procedure cause it's much cheaper and just as safe)

i'd consider going to mexico for sure if i didn't have decent insurance. i know i'll have a lot of loose skin but i'll live with it if i have to. i'm not quite as big as your cousin but yeah life's getting fucking rough, my body hurts all the time, i've developed nerve pain and stuff recently. and arthritis or something on the top of my foot. hurts like hell after i work.

reprise85 03-27-2019 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D. (Post 4504304)
Are they going to teach you better eating habits or put you on a diet plan post-surgery??

Learning how to eat is a huuuuge factor in staying healthy. I believe in you!:)

yes, for a long time you only basically eat protein since you can barely eat anything (so you don't lose too much muscle mass)

eventually you can eat sorta-normally but never like i could now. at that point i'll be on a diet plan of some sort (prob low calorie/lowish carb, but they don't make everyone have the same one) and hopefully i'll be exercising and all that.

reprise85 03-27-2019 11:16 PM

thanks for all the believing in me :) just now starting to get hungry... had like 10 popsicles today and i have one more shake i can have. might have some broth. i havent eaten in about 24 hours at this point, not too bad

reprise85 03-27-2019 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laradelocke (Post 4504265)
I have two friends who went through this. One has lost 200lbs since October and he is a very tall man so it kinda makes sense he lost that much, but he wasn't prepared for how quick it would be.. he looks so different it's insane.

Good luck. They're both so much happier now that they're healthier. And even anyone gives you shit for it, fuck em!

damn, since october. that's insane. that's pretty much what i want to lose overall, maybe like 230. i think by the end of the year i'll be in the 200s somewhere at least (total weight not weight lost)

reprise85 03-28-2019 12:26 PM

i had a hungry few hour last night but mostly i'm fine. i do have a headache but otherwise ok. day 2.

FoolofaTook 03-28-2019 12:36 PM

on what day is the surgery? do you have to go in to work now, while you are fasting before surgery?

reprise85 03-28-2019 12:39 PM

its april 3, next wednesday. and yes i work at the store from fri-sun

FoolofaTook 03-28-2019 12:41 PM

are you worried at all about being dizzy and stuff? or will the protein shakes be sufficient to keep you on your feet?

D. 03-28-2019 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reprise85 (Post 4504324)
yes, for a long time you only basically eat protein since you can barely eat anything (so you don't lose too much muscle mass)

eventually you can eat sorta-normally but never like i could now. at that point i'll be on a diet plan of some sort (prob low calorie/lowish carb, but they don't make everyone have the same one) and hopefully i'll be exercising and all that.

seeing progress, no matter how small, is one of the best feelings; you see it and you crave more. i am beyond super excited for you. you are obviously going to have access to experts but if you have any random question or whatever, or you're feeling overwhelmed by all the misinformation out there, i am here for ya. (but i don't know anything that research couldn't tell you; i just like talking about health/exercise related stuff.)

duovamp 03-28-2019 03:18 PM

Good luck with the surgery. A family member of mine had this done and it had a dramatic impact on her weight, health, and happiness. I wish you the same outcome.

reprise85 03-28-2019 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FoolofaTook (Post 4504392)
are you worried at all about being dizzy and stuff? or will the protein shakes be sufficient to keep you on your feet?

yes i am worried a little. all i've had to do is sit on my ass so far. we'll see i guess.

reprise85 03-28-2019 04:39 PM

it's funny just how much FOOD is bombarded at us everywhere. fucking emails, ads, wherever i drive there's restaurants, all kinds of shit just food food food

Disco King 03-28-2019 04:46 PM

Even though we currently only seem to use medical interventions for more serious cases in which weight loss is necessary, I wonder if in the future, we'll start looking at these procedures as appropriate for even more moderate cases.

It just seems like despite the whole motivation/self help industry that tells us how we can just "change our lives" if we do XYZ, actual research into psychology reveals just how difficult it is to do that. Most people who try to diet and exercise fail to lose weight or gain it back. All the internet articles about how people did it, so we can do it to, are probably an example of survivor bias: they were all written by the minority of people who were successful.

So many things affect our willpower and motivation, from pre-frontal cortex metabolism, to hormones, to upbringing. There's even some research that says that your gut flora and intestinal microbiome has effects on your behaviour and appetite. It's really a gargantuan effort to act against those things. But physical interventions, like altering the hormones that affect hunger, or decreasing the maximum size of the stomach, can give people a fighting chance. Maybe in the future, medical interventions along these lines will be suggested even for people who only need to lose twenty pounds.

People are much more likely to be successful when we put them in circumstances that facilitate that success. Even something like getting people to recycle, that behavioural change doesn't happen just through PSAs telling people how important it is to do so. It happens when we make recycling easy and convenient for them to do, so that doing it expends little cognitive and physical energy.

Maybe we gotta work on some Skinner-esque Walden world where we manipulate the environment so that the chances of individual human success are maximized.

ilikeplanets 03-28-2019 04:56 PM

I wish there were more medical options for moderate weight loss, the yo-yo life gets old af. I have probably every clothing size by now.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:50 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Smashing Pumpkins, Alternative Music
& General Discussion Message Board and Forums
www.netphoria.org - Copyright 1998-2019