Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   Music Board Archive (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   One of the guys from Das Racist just released the best rap album of the year (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=176224)

Catherine Wheel 04-26-2012 05:11 PM

One of the guys from Das Racist just released the best rap album of the year

Holy shit this new album by Kool A.D. is fucking awesome. It's actually better than Relax by Das Racist. They have finally lived up to all their hype and potential.

Himanshu's album was good but he jokes around too much on some tracks. Doesn't take himself seriously enough. And then there are just some plain weird tracks. But Kool A.D.'s release is very solid.

Sonic Johnny 04-26-2012 07:01 PM

Have you heard the new El-P record yet? That's my current tip for hip-hop AOTY.

Catherine Wheel 04-26-2012 07:13 PM

I haven't. He seems to be in a rap group with Cage who I know from Kid Cudi's Man on the Moon II. I like the song Maniac that Cage is on.

I'll check him out.

Catherine Wheel 04-26-2012 07:20 PM

Apparently this El-P guy was on Das Racist's Relax. I'm going to have to go back and listen to it again.

Sonic Johnny 04-26-2012 07:47 PM

Cage is pretty bad. But this is not:

Catherine Wheel 04-26-2012 08:24 PM

That was pretty good. The guy can flow, has interesting wordplay, and a commanding voice. I just downloaded his new album on Soulseek. Will tell you what I think later.

Have you heard the solo albums that Heems and Kool A.D. have put out?

Sonic Johnny 04-26-2012 08:29 PM

Nah I don't really dig Das Racist all that much... they're just a bit, i dunno, smug? for my tastes. I just saw an opportunity to post about Cancer For Cure cause I was gonna make a thread about it.

Catherine Wheel 04-26-2012 08:38 PM

I hear where you are coming from. I think they can get away with being smug sometimes because they are so smart and clever in general.

Check this song by Heems out. Tell me what you think.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yR31ogL3Fg

When I heard El-P on Das Racist's Relax I thought he was black.

Catherine Wheel 04-26-2012 09:38 PM

The El-P album is pretty good. It seems like some songs are him talking or ranting. I would like to hear him rap more because on the tracks with rapping he does have a nice flow.

He's a very angry young man. But unlike Eminem or Tyler the Creator he's not eccentric or too disturbing. The stuff he talks about is stuff that most people can relate to for the most part. The whole album is basically him venting his frustrations.

Trotskilicious 04-26-2012 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic Johnny (Post 3851514)
Nah I don't really dig Das Racist all that much... they're just a bit, i dunno, smug? for my tastes.

good way to put it

i like how they adopted this pose about deconstructing hip hop and the media seems to take them seriously but any time i read interviews or stuff written by heems it seems like they often don't make a whole lot of sense.

Trotskilicious 04-26-2012 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catherine Wheel (Post 3851516)

When I heard El-P on Das Racist's Relax I thought he was black.

ugh god wtf

Sonic Johnny 04-27-2012 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trotskilicious (Post 3851534)
good way to put it

i like how they adopted this pose about deconstructing hip hop and the media seems to take them seriously but any time i read interviews or stuff written by heems it seems like they often don't make a whole lot of sense.

speaking of deconstructing hip hop, how do you feel about Death Grips, trots?

Trotskilicious 04-27-2012 04:49 PM

well funny thing about death grips

i wanted to see them at fun fun fun fest and i went to the black stage at the appointed time and what i got was a man in his boxer briefs playing pre recorded minimalist hardcore break beats and screaming about how ALL PYRAMIDS MUST BE DESTROYED

Sonic Johnny 04-28-2012 03:20 AM

so not a fan then. I kinda dig it. Like yeah its sorta heavy handed but it's definitely not something anyone has done before. Their new record I think is a little more musically interesting than Exmilitary was.

Trotskilicious 04-28-2012 05:20 AM

is that what it is? i thought it was two guys.

Sonic Johnny 04-28-2012 05:27 AM

It's three guys even. Zach Hill, who was/is the drummer for Hella, the emcee and a guy who plays synths and stuff. Might have been a stripped down gig. Have you listened to either of the records?

Trotskilicious 04-28-2012 07:59 PM

no i haven't

i was just saying that i didn't think this guy was them, i just think it was some guy that ran up to security and said YEAH I'M DEATH GRIPS and then went out and was terrible

because i mean seriously this thing i saw was entertainment only for being absolutely the worst

Sonic Johnny 04-29-2012 02:23 AM

Was the guy you saw this guy?

http://andimusprime.ryan-sweeney.net...swray_com_.jpg

Cause if so then yeah, that was it.

Trotskilicious 04-29-2012 11:57 PM

no it was not that guy

Sonic Johnny 04-30-2012 12:29 AM

okay then that's just a fantastic pisstake. The guy pictured above is pretty autistic and does like to yell about how ALL PYRAMIDS MUST BE DESTROYED though