Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   Music Board Archive (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Riot Act (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=5821)

Eulogy 11-12-2002 06:38 PM

Riot Act

I am liking this a lot. I've only gotten through the first 6 tracks...but yeah, it's good.

Jesse Miller 11-12-2002 07:04 PM

Did that come out today?

Eulogy 11-12-2002 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Jesse Miller
Did that come out today?
Yes it did. Go get it.

oui henri 11-12-2002 11:02 PM

fuck, i missed my chance to get it for $11.99 at Future Shop!

beef curtains 11-12-2002 11:19 PM

I enjoy "I am me" or whatever the single's called....its got the first good PJ guitar riff since about 94....it makes me all nostalgic :)

Chris FitzPatrick 11-13-2002 01:47 AM

What were they thinking by putting the security tape directly on the cardboard. Since its glossy it pulls the ink right off the cardboard case when you peel off the tape. I was careful doing it and there was absolutely no way to avoid it. Look at this:

http://pages.cthome.net/dpfizpatrick/ra.jpg

If this happened to yours call Sony Quality Control at 1-800-255-7514 and tell them you cover stuck to the wrapper and all the ink peeled off with it due to a manufacturing error. They will take your name, phone number and address and send you a new copy for free with a return envelope with postage paid to send your bad cd case back.

Chris

jet set willy 11-13-2002 02:23 AM

lol

beef curtains 11-13-2002 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Graveflower
I Am Mine.

I like it, but the solo is absolutely terrible.

yeah, the title hit me randomly while i was driving tonight....like in that I wanna yell it out loudly b/c i/ve been trying to think of it for ages kinda way :o

Pumpkinpie 11-13-2002 12:18 PM

i am a huge PJ fan, and i will buy the album today probably....i have heard about 8 songs i think.....Love Boat Captain is the best song of those.....the album is defenitly better than Binaural.....

NO CODE 11-13-2002 12:41 PM

my copy had the security sticker on the wrapper..it's odd that some of them are on the cover itself.

lolololololzing 11-13-2002 01:24 PM

Re: Riot Act

Quote:

Originally posted by Eulogy
I am liking this a lot. I've only gotten through the first 6 tracks...but yeah, it's good.
I've had the album for 2 months now. I'm already sick of it. I listened to it too much. I promised myself Id stop listening to it for a couple of weeks. The album is good, not great, good. Keep in mind i've been a pearl jam fan since 92. I've seen them 6 times, on 3 diff tours... i grew up listening to mainly these guys and smashing pumpkins.

After having listened to every song over and over again... here are my comments.

Can't keep.. what a fuking opener... almost as good as sometimes...

save you... awesome song overall. cant complain. great pearl jam. reminds you of vitalogy... sorta makes me think eddie is getting old and his vocals could be better.

love boat captain... unfortunately this could be the next single... great song but i can see myself hating it as much as i hate "oh where oh where can my baby be"... catchy at first, but who knows if it's timeless.

cropduster. this song was one of my favs right off the bat. just like the next one.

green diseasese. fucking amazing... this song really did something for me...

ghost... decent.

i am mine = i am gay (enough said)

thumbing my way... nice song, but i just wish eddie vedder would keep his solo songs for his solo album. this song has eddie written all over it. it gets real nice at the end though... beutiful melody, just not pearl jam.

You are. wow. pearl jam's new direction maybe? A little over produced? i think so. i love the pause at the beginning of the song... awesome. listen to the song at exactly 3.00 minutes... all the way up to 3.13 minutes. that's the WORST PART OF THE WHOLE ALBUM! Fucking terrible part of the song, someone should have cut that out.

get right. would have been a good b side. shouldnt be on the album.

1/2 FULL. HOly fuck can you feel the mike mcready? I love this song, but i liked it better when it was called red mosquito/dissident. I sorta wish mike would take it another step... i wish that the chorus was better... cause the beginning is so damn nice.

help help. is starts off so nice... the first 30 seconds are amazing.
the rest sucks

bushleager. worst pearl jam song ever. what the fuck is this bullshit. eddie has to stop trying to be so fucking political. i don't care what he thinks of bush, i don't. i can't believe he even dedicated the title to him. what an idiot. i hate eddie's political views, i wish he would keep them to himself. this isn't the band talking, i bet this is just eddie that cares about bush. i bet mike and jeff don't care. horrible song. get a life. leave the bush admini alone eddie.

ARC. What the fuck? who produced this bullshit?

All or None. Great closer... simply great.

In general. I like the album. Not as much as ten, vs, vitalogy, no code, or yield... BUT... it might be on the same level as binaural. give it another 2 months and i'll be happy to read everyones reviews again cause i bet you all are reviews will be different.
Now... i love what matt cameron adds to the band. That is one thing I must give credit to pearl jam for... they certainly did find a good drummer finally. i like him way better then old jack irons.
I think this album would be way fucking better if the band started drinking and doing more drugs. I know mike is on drugs, but everyone else is sober, and you can tell on riot act. let's get the drugs out boys!

IT"S A DISEASES, and THEY"RE ALL GREEN!!!!

Andy / 11-13-2002 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by lolololololzing
Can't keep.. what a fuking opener...
yeah, a fucking shitty opener. 'Course I don't care for Sometimes either, so... yeah. Save You should have been the opener, though you could argue that it's in the same vein as Breakerfall, which is in the same vein of Brain of J... but I like those songs, so I'd probably think that, wouldn't I?

I'm not liking any songs until

Quote:

You are.
It's different, that's for sure. I can't place what exactly I like about it, but I do.

Quote:

ARC. What the fuck? who produced this bullshit?
I like this, too. Eddies voice is perfect for this type of thing. But, to put this in perspective again, I like Aye Davanita, so my opinion probably doesn't mean shit to most people.

ModernCheeze 11-13-2002 08:19 PM

I have to say I'm dissapointed with Riot Act. I've really enjoyed all the Pearl Jam records up to now, including Binaural, but Riot Act is just underwhelming.
Less than half the album consists of good songs, the rest all feel forced. Though not all in the same way.

Rolling Stone said that the band sounds tired, but I think they've just mellowed. There's nothing wrong with that. The problem is, whenever they try to "rock out old school," it sounds perfunctory. The band simply isn't as angry as it used to be, and they sound unconvincing when they try to appear such (such as on Save You or Got Right.) Sometimes the opposite happens too, such as on Bushleaguer or 1/2 full, when the topic of the song seems to denote anger or at the very least passion, and all Eddie can manage is at best mild irritation and at worst indifference.

There's nothing bad with mellowing with age, but still trying to act angry at best sounds forced and at worst is just sad (Eddie's screams on Save You make me cringe).

That said, Riot Act contains some very good songs. I really like I am Mine, Thumbing my Way, You Are, Green Disease, Help Help, and All or None...in short the songs where the band doesn't try to rock. Because you can't try to rock, you either do or you don't.

smashingjj 11-14-2002 02:29 PM

I expected at least some more from PJ. It's very disappointing. There are a few nice songs on it, like the soft song (what's it called, Thumbing My Way?), and Love Boat Captain and the single aren't too bad as well. But as for the rest - it's boring and nothing special. Binaural was good in comparison to this, and I didn't like that all that much.

Eulogy 11-14-2002 03:44 PM

I hated Binaural and don't really care for Yield.

I love this though. It's right up there with Vitalogy.

I think Ten is the strongest album if you look at individual songs...but as full albums, I really enjoy Vitalogy and Riot Act.

Of course, my opinion of the new one could change pretty quickly.

Jesse Miller 11-14-2002 06:08 PM

I got it yesterday. Not bad at all. Sounds like a "grow-on-you" type of album.

Anyways, I've heard that one of the songs is about Layne... Anyone know which one?

matt reeder 11-14-2002 06:31 PM

Re: Re: Riot Act

Quote:

Originally posted by lolololololzing

bushleager. worst pearl jam song ever. what the fuck is this bullshit. eddie has to stop trying to be so fucking political. i don't care what he thinks of bush, i don't. i can't believe he even dedicated the title to him. what an idiot. i hate eddie's political views, i wish he would keep them to himself. this isn't the band talking, i bet this is just eddie that cares about bush. i bet mike and jeff don't care. horrible song. get a life. leave the bush admini alone eddie.

Why?

At a time when few public figures even have the guts to criticize a genuinely horrible president who wasn't even elected, why should Ed keep his political views to himself. Even though I love this song, my complaint is that he may have pulled a few punches here. Come on Ed, be blunt!

You hate his political views? So what. At least respect the fact Ed gives a shit.

Riot Act rocks my world. I love it more with each listen. I'm working on a review of it for the independent newspaper I work for. By the way, for those interested, the last piece I wrote was a cowritten cover piece of our IMPEACH BUSH! issue. :)

oui henri 11-14-2002 10:34 PM

my cousin just came over with the CD. I'm liking what i hear.

smashingjj 11-15-2002 05:30 AM

Re: Re: Re: Riot Act

Quote:

Originally posted by matt reeder

Why?

At a time when few public figures even have the guts to criticize a genuinely horrible president who wasn't even elected, why should Ed keep his political views to himself. Even though I love this song, my complaint is that he may have pulled a few punches here. Come on Ed, be blunt!

You hate his political views? So what. At least respect the fact Ed gives a shit.

Riot Act rocks my world. I love it more with each listen. I'm working on a review of it for the independent newspaper I work for. By the way, for those interested, the last piece I wrote was a cowritten cover piece of our IMPEACH BUSH! issue. :)

COMPLETELY agreed.

Jesse Miller 11-15-2002 05:57 PM

Quote:

Anyways, I've heard that one of the songs is about Layne... Anyone know which one?
Nevermind. I found the answer... The song didn't make the album and will probably remain unreleased.

Mason R Butler 11-15-2002 06:12 PM

Quote:

Nevermind. I found the answer... The song didn't make the album and will probably remain unreleased.

Too bad the whole album couldn't've suffered such a fate.

Pearl Bland.

patrick 11-15-2002 06:36 PM

i'm surprised there's not a joey ramone tribute song

Jesse Miller 11-15-2002 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by I Hate Music

Pearl Bland.

I'm glad you feel this way; now I will always play Riot Act when you bum a ride from me.

Have a nice day!

Eulogy 11-15-2002 09:02 PM

The more I listen to it, the more I like it.

I don't have to...put it any effort when I listen to it. It's easy to listen to...um, that makes it sound boring or something...but it's not. I just love it.

Tired of "Me" 11-16-2002 11:27 PM

The song they did on Letterman on Thursday night was OK, but I don't know that its good enough for me to consider looking into buying the album.

Kannok 11-17-2002 12:16 AM

no, the album is real good.

bushleaguer is a good melody, creative lyrics at some points (though after "the haves have not a clue," edved starts mumbling and yammering on and i like saying "blah blah blah" quickly as he does).

my problem is not with the song, its a very creative and ballsy song. however, 10 years from now, when bush is a memory (be it good or bad) the album will seem incredibly dated, the way Saturday Night Lives with Reagan sketches seem old.

Tired of "Me" 11-17-2002 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Kannok
no, the album is real good.

bushleaguer is a good melody, creative lyrics at some points (though after "the haves have not a clue," edved starts mumbling and yammering on and i like saying "blah blah blah" quickly as he does).

my problem is not with the song, its a very creative and ballsy song. however, 10 years from now, when bush is a memory (be it good or bad) the album will seem incredibly dated, the way Saturday Night Lives with Reagan sketches seem old.

True.

Cactuar 11-17-2002 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by I Hate Music

Pearl Bland.

yeah

i downloaded 8 tracks they were all shit

wounded 11-17-2002 11:41 AM

i really think it is an album that is better the second spin through. i'm starting to dig it after not digging it at all.

also, my strip was on the plastic covering.

Ensoul 11-17-2002 03:11 PM

I like it... I'll rate it an 8.0 out of 10.