Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   Music News and Discussion (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Neil Young - Homegrown (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=188055)

smashingjj 06-20-2020 04:30 AM

Neil Young - Homegrown
 
How many unreleased gems does he have? This one is great too. Sound is awesome, especially the drums. Florida is a totally unexpected track, like sonic youth at its most free.

I don't follow him that well, can someone tell me if this album was already well known among fans and bootleggers?

new Bob Dylan album and 'new' Neil Young album on the same day in 2020, who would have known in the seventies?

MplsTaper 06-20-2020 09:12 AM

Can't embed this at the moment but I remember watching it on the television. Not far in Eddie talks about him and Neil being in an Archives room. Eddie was hoping Neil would take something off the shelves to play but instead, "he looked around and he said I gotta get out of here."

Thinking about that 25 years later still makes me smile :)

https://youtu.be/cMmT6JN5Pqc

slunken 06-20-2020 02:33 PM

On my second liquid listen. Quite satisfying.

I'm happy Neil puts so much work into all-analog mastering for vinyl.

House of Bread 06-20-2020 09:02 PM

This album as a piece is definitely a true unearthed album...and it's so fucking good.

soniclovenoize 06-21-2020 10:46 PM

Been listening to this all weekend. I like it, but don't love it. It's a fairly incongruent album, which is typical Neil. Also some really great songs from these sessions that didn't make the album, that would have really improved it.

smashingjj 06-22-2020 03:59 PM

yeah, I guess I agree. Don't know the sessions though.

soniclovenoize 06-22-2020 06:08 PM

HOMEGROWN RECORDING SESSIONS

June 1974 - Broken Arrow (prod Tim Mulligan)

Love Is A Rose (Decade, Homegrown)
Pardon My Heart (Zuma)
Through My Sails (Zuma)
Hawaiian Sunrise
Barefoot Floors
Love/Art Blues
Homefires

September 1974 - Ramport Studios (prod Tim Mulligan)

White Line (Homegrown)
Mediterranean

December 1974 - Quadrafonic Sound (prod Elliot Mazer)

Separate Ways (Homegrown)
Try (Homegrown)
Homegrown (Homegrown)
Star of Bethlehem (Homegrown, American Stars 'n Bars)
The Old Homestead (Hawks & Doves)
Deep Forbidden Lake (Decade)
Give Me Strength
Frozen Man
Daughters

December 1974-January 1975 - Broken Arrow (prod Ben Keith & Tim Mulligan)

We Don't Smoke It No More (Homegrown)
Vacancy (Homegrown)


January 1975 - Village Recorder (prod Ben Keith)


Little Wing (Homegrown, Hawks & Doves)
Kansas (Homegrown)
Mexico (Homegrown)
Florida (Homegrown)

slunken 06-22-2020 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soniclovenoize (Post 4550858)
Been listening to this all weekend. I like it, but don't love it. It's a fairly incongruent album, which is typical Neil. Also some really great songs from these sessions that didn't make the album, that would have really improved it.

The extra songs will be on Archives 2. I know you know this already (that Duma mix is going to be siiiiiiick).

I've been trying to keep up with the Hoffman forums regarding this LP but this IS the original Homegrown, yea? Reconstructed from the damaged original master?

Other than that, I can see why it was held back. It's really demo-y and some of the takes are the roughest of Neil's I've yet to hear.

Ben Keith sends me.

TuralyonW3 06-23-2020 09:53 AM

It’s so fucking good

TuralyonW3 06-23-2020 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slunken (Post 4550778)
On my second liquid listen. Quite satisfying.

I'm happy Neil puts so much work into all-analog mastering for vinyl.

Ive been getting all the NYA vinyls of his 60s - early 80s stuff and they just sound amazing

soniclovenoize 06-23-2020 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slunken (Post 4550953)
The extra songs will be on Archives 2. I know you know this already (that Duma mix is going to be siiiiiiick).

I've been trying to keep up with the Hoffman forums regarding this LP but this IS the original Homegrown, yea? Reconstructed from the damaged original master?

Other than that, I can see why it was held back. It's really demo-y and some of the takes are the roughest of Neil's I've yet to hear.

Ben Keith sends me.

Yep, according to that one poster who went and decoded it all, the original master of Homegrown was trashed, so they rebuilt it from safety copies. The "Little Wing" is literally cut from the master of Hawkes and Doves.

Yeah can't want for Duma. I was just reading today, NY talking about it in one of his autobiographies, saying that's what he listens to, the Duma disc he made, and it has earlier versions of Powderfinger and Sedan Delivery, etc.

TuralyonW3 06-24-2020 10:49 AM

I can’t wait for the unreleased Crazy Horse album TOAST

NovaFritz 06-24-2020 06:41 PM

This is really good, and the previously released material fits in really well. Also, Florida is pretty cool.

soniclovenoize 06-24-2020 07:10 PM

Everyone's hating on Florida, but it's the "bad dream" that is mentioned in the first line of the next song.

slunken 06-25-2020 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soniclovenoize (Post 4551050)
I was just reading today, NY talking about it in one of his autobiographies, saying that's what he listens to, the Duma disc he made, and it has earlier versions of Powderfinger and Sedan Delivery, etc.

This was in Waging Heavy Peace, yea?

Just want to align sources.

soniclovenoize 06-26-2020 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slunken (Post 4551211)
This was in Waging Heavy Peace, yea?

Just want to align sources.

Yep. He called is Dume.

slunken 06-27-2020 11:22 AM

Man, I can't wait.

Still cannot understand people whining about "Florida".

I think the only other thing that could cap off the archives would be the original mix of Tonight's the Night with the raps.

NovaFritz 06-28-2020 02:22 PM

My question is, is this tracklist even the original Homegrown? Was there an official tracklist that this archival release is faithful to, or did they just dive into these sessions to put something out. I am confused because I would have expected tracks like Homefires and Deep Forbidden Lake to be on this album. In the Decade liner notes, NY writes that Deep Forbidden Lake was supposed to be on Homegrown. So why is it missing but Star of Bethlehem and Love is a Rose made this release? I mean, they could have easily packed more tracks on either a vinyl LP or a CD.

soniclovenoize 06-28-2020 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NovaFritz (Post 4551422)
My question is, is this tracklist even the original Homegrown? Was there an official tracklist that this archival release is faithful to, or did they just dive into these sessions to put something out. I am confused because I would have expected tracks like Homefires and Deep Forbidden Lake to be on this album. In the Decade liner notes, NY writes that Deep Forbidden Lake was supposed to be on Homegrown. So why is it missing but Star of Bethlehem and Love is a Rose made this release? I mean, they could have easily packed more tracks on either a vinyl LP or a CD.

Yes this is the original tracklist of Homegrown.

NovaFritz 06-29-2020 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soniclovenoize (Post 4551425)
Yes this is the original tracklist of Homegrown.

I see. I am curious where this original tracklist came from and how long it has been known. Did they release it recently? Or is it from older materials that had circulated? I swear just a few years ago the Wikipedia entry about the track listing was much more vague.

soniclovenoize 06-29-2020 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NovaFritz (Post 4551460)
I see. I am curious where this original tracklist came from and how long it has been known. Did they release it recently? Or is it from older materials that had circulated? I swear just a few years ago the Wikipedia entry about the track listing was much more vague.

Essentially, the tracklist on wikipedia has always been wrong.

In the 2000 biography Zero To Sixty by Johnny Rogan, the actual Homegrown tracklist was listed, as per Elliot Mazer, but they were not in the correct order:
Homegrown
Star Of Bethlehem
White Line
Little Wing
Try
Four Walls
Separate Ways
Vacancy
Florida
Kansas
Mexico

Aside from no Love is a Rose and We Don't Smoke It, and the inclusion of Four Walls (which could be an alternate title to one of those two anyways), this is essentially what we ultimately got, and this information was published twenty years ago. That is why I think this is legit. They also went through a lot of trouble just to gather this specific set of songs, so I'm fairly sure this was the tracklist NY meant to release in 1975.

smashingjj 06-29-2020 05:42 PM

really like this album, but the title song is so dumb. can't seem to get over it.

soniclovenoize 06-29-2020 06:24 PM

It is completely dumb, but it has a great groove.

I'm still torn between that and the Crazy Horse version from ASnB

NovaFritz 06-30-2020 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soniclovenoize (Post 4551524)
Essentially, the tracklist on wikipedia has always been wrong.

In the 2000 biography Zero To Sixty by Johnny Rogan, the actual Homegrown tracklist was listed, as per Elliot Mazer, but they were not in the correct order:
Homegrown
Star Of Bethlehem
White Line
Little Wing
Try
Four Walls
Separate Ways
Vacancy
Florida
Kansas
Mexico

Aside from no Love is a Rose and We Don't Smoke It, and the inclusion of Four Walls (which could be an alternate title to one of those two anyways), this is essentially what we ultimately got, and this information was published twenty years ago. That is why I think this is legit. They also went through a lot of trouble just to gather this specific set of songs, so I'm fairly sure this was the tracklist NY meant to release in 1975.

Very interesting. Even if Four Walls is one of the other songs - they still added a track. Maybe it was supposed to be Four Strong Winds. I have to admit that I have enjoyed this album a bit more than I may have b/c I never really listened to ASnB. Outside of the Decade cuts, I was only really familiar with White Line from Ragged Glory. I had listened to Little Wing, but it seemed slight and I mostly forgot about it. It works well in this track listing.

slunken 06-30-2020 05:07 PM

My dad is a casual Neil fan and he expressed interest in this one (probably because I was hyped about it). I kept telling him it’s a bum trip. Amazoned it to his house. Called me and said he will listen to it “tonight” while he had some driving to do. Didn’t hear back for 14 hours lol.

soniclovenoize 07-01-2020 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NovaFritz (Post 4551608)
Very interesting. Even if Four Walls is one of the other songs - they still added a track. Maybe it was supposed to be Four Strong Winds. I have to admit that I have enjoyed this album a bit more than I may have b/c I never really listened to ASnB. Outside of the Decade cuts, I was only really familiar with White Line from Ragged Glory. I had listened to Little Wing, but it seemed slight and I mostly forgot about it. It works well in this track listing.

Four Strong Winds was recorded two years later during the Comes a Time sessions. Probably wasn't that.

There is another version of White Line with Crazy Horse from the Zuma sessions (or maybe it was recorded around the time of "Like a Hurricane", can't seem to find that info) which is great.

It's strange, many of these songs seem fragmentary, it's definitely giving Homegrown a specific, broken, haphazard feel. Almost like a White Album sort of vibe.

TuralyonW3 07-01-2020 11:01 PM

Yeah good analysis. It's essential Neil.

NovaFritz 07-02-2020 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soniclovenoize (Post 4551789)
Four Strong Winds was recorded two years later during the Comes a Time sessions. Probably wasn't that.

There is another version of White Line with Crazy Horse from the Zuma sessions (or maybe it was recorded around the time of "Like a Hurricane", can't seem to find that info) which is great.

It's strange, many of these songs seem fragmentary, it's definitely giving Homegrown a specific, broken, haphazard feel. Almost like a White Album sort of vibe.

Yeah, at first I was startled by this. Some of the tracks seem to fade out too soon. But the album ticks by pretty fast. While it doesn't have as many solid high points as Harvest (considering it as a Harvest follow-up), it also doesn't suffer from Harvest's orchestral tracks, which I have always skipped past. It's a shame he didn't record A Man Needs a Maid and Heart of Gold in one continuous track like on Live at Massey Hall.

slunken 07-02-2020 05:54 PM

Those Jack Nitzsche orchestral tracks on Harvest (as much as I love the guy) are way too fucking dumb

slunken 07-02-2020 05:55 PM

But it's kind of funny to think about 70s heshers blaring "a man needs a maid" and trying to vibe with it

TuralyonW3 07-04-2020 03:12 PM

Vanacy is such a rockin track. One of Neil's very best.

TuralyonW3 07-04-2020 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slunken (Post 4551883)
Those Jack Nitzsche orchestral tracks on Harvest (as much as I love the guy) are way too fucking dumb

Yeah I have a love/hate with Harvest big time


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:25 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Smashing Pumpkins, Alternative Music
& General Discussion Message Board and Forums
www.netphoria.org - Copyright 1998-2020