Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   General Chat Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Rate the last movie you watched (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=182317)

hnibos 05-14-2015 09:36 AM

Nope

FoolofaTook 05-14-2015 10:21 AM

r u in isis?

hnibos 05-14-2015 02:00 PM

What makes you say that?

killtrocity 05-14-2015 05:55 PM

Avengers 2

4/10

Somewhat pretty to look at and some cool stuff happening on the screen. Took me 30 minutes to figure out what was going on.

Trotskilicious 05-14-2015 06:12 PM

superhero movies have reached their limit

buzzard 05-14-2015 06:29 PM

So long as it can be filmed in a warehouse with mediocre actors and about an acre of bright green cloth, I'm not sure it'll ever go away. It's like the film equivalent to laptop and vocal booth music.

The exploding boy 05-14-2015 07:39 PM

Mad Max: Fury Road enrages Men's Rights Activists who claim they are being duped into watching 'feminist propaganda'

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...-10249443.html

Shallowed 05-14-2015 08:58 PM

Saw Kurt Cobain: Montage of Heck at the cinema last week. The use of Kurt's own art and journal scribblings throughout was really cool. The way the whole thing is put together is like an audio-visual montage in itself, with bits and pieces flying past the screen and various recordings cutting in and out like someone cycling through radio channels. Lots of different kinds of media are employed in ways that you don't typically see in docos, like Kurt's home demo recordings being used as a background for an animated imagination of the scene.

The interviews are kept to a minimum screen limited to a handful of people who were the closest to him in his life, and are portrayed very starkly against the chaos of the rest of the doco. It's quite a dynamic effect.

Most refreshingly, the doco doesn't attempt to deify Kurt like so many other retrospections do, and attempts to get in his head, to try and understand him. However, it struck me as odd that from the get go, we are shown how much of a privileged upbringing he had, it makes me feel like the way everyone connects his troubled childhood to his artistic talents is overblown, when there are so many artists who were far less privileged than he was, and just as talented as he was, who don't get the same kind of status that Kurt has. Kurt's parents divorced and he was bullied and alienated at school, but how many documentaries are out there that celebrate other artists like this one?

The second half got increasingly uncomfortable to watch as we delved into more and more intimate parts of Kurt's life. I would even say it got too intimate at certain points. I really didn't need to see Courtney's tits that many times. The part where Francis was getting her hair cut was especially awful, with Kurt irritatingly denying that he was "on drugs" and that he was "just tired", and then punches Courtney in the arm and jokes to the camera, "see? I'm a wife beater!" with Francis sitting on his knee all the while. I don't understand what all that was for, I mean what the hell was Kurt trying to prove with that joke? It was a private home video, and obviously wasn't being broadcast to anyone that accused him of being a wife beater at the time. Same with Kurt and Courtney pretending they're going through awful withdrawals, and just continually playing down their drug problems like it's a big fucking joke, it really got to me. Again, all this plays a part in not deifying Kurt, but I think this part was overdone.

We were also treated to an interview with the director after the credits, who to me looked like he was trying to emulate Kurt's dour aura in his own appearance, and took himself way too seriously.

Overall I give it three and a half pairs of Courtney's tits out of five. Stylistically innovative, but the usage of content could have done with some more critical editing.

Eulogy 05-14-2015 09:01 PM

Just came here to say I'm very excited for fury road

Tchocky 05-14-2015 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The exploding boy (Post 4185763)
Mad Max: Fury Road enrages Men's Rights Activists who claim they are being duped into watching 'feminist propaganda'

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...-10249443.html

...da fuq??

Shallowed 05-15-2015 03:52 AM

Aside from the fact that it's been getting a lot of good reviews, I'm considering going to see Mad Max just because it's pissing off MRA types.

Trotskilicious 05-15-2015 03:57 AM

i love charlize theron and that's why i want to see it because she looks so fucking bad ass in it

Shallowed 05-15-2015 04:08 AM

Should I watch the originals first?

Trotskilicious 05-15-2015 04:28 AM

mad max isn't essential but road warrior and thunderdome are classic action flicks

road warrior is fucking awesome

The exploding boy 05-15-2015 04:40 AM

I find thunderdome to be the non essential one,

I don't know anywhere else but here Road Warrior is on tv every five seconds. Hard to not have seen it by mistake. Mad max is on about every 5 minutes. Thunderdome is rarer.

Im really bummed they delayed the game from what was supposed to be a may 30th release to September 1. It weird too cause hat happened less than 2 weeks before supposed release. Around DVD release i guess now? Though the game is not related to any of the films. It's its own alternate universe Max. I like that they had him voiced by an american at fist and it pissed so many people off they had to give in and cast an aussie.

Eulogy 05-15-2015 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shallowed (Post 4185867)
Should I watch the originals first?

It's completely standalone. So I mean maybe you should see them (I've only seen bits and pieces) but it's not necessary before seeing this one.

FoolofaTook 05-15-2015 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hnibos (Post 4185714)
What makes you say that?

your beard and turban, duh.

FoolofaTook 05-15-2015 07:58 AM

sorry hnibos that was just dumb.

FoolofaTook 05-15-2015 07:58 AM

damnit apologizing doesn't work well with being obnoxious.

buzzard 05-15-2015 09:17 AM

I wonder if they'll do another Waterworld, too.

The exploding boy 05-15-2015 09:49 AM

I watched that again recently. I hate costner and yeah they sunk way too much money into this for what it is (costliest movie ever made at the time), but it's not a horrible film otherwise. I mean in the genre its alright. Clearly was trying too much for that mad max on water feel though.

Tchocky 05-15-2015 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trotskilicious (Post 4185864)
i love charlize theron and that's why i want to see it because she looks so fucking bad ass in it

She is. If you're a Charlize fan, you will not be disappointed because she kicks about eight kinds of ass in the new Mad Max.

I might go see it again.

LaBelle 05-15-2015 10:04 AM

I watched the first two Mad Max films yesterday in preparation.
Tomorrow will watch Thunderdome and go watch the new one!

pavementtune 05-17-2015 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toase (Post 4182623)
Neighbouring Sounds - amazing

you reminded me that I've been wanting to watch this one, finally did.

Neighboring Sounds - O Som ao Redor

I expected it to be quite good since it was Brazil's submission for best foreign film, and it really is.

I have no idea if the apartment building life in this film is anywhere near reality or common in Brazilian cities - like having housekeepers, reception desks, doormen - and doors with iron bars. I enjoy to see such things in movies.

first 20 minutes or so I found the film technically extremely boring, but then the story had drawn me in and the plain camera style didn't seem out of place. after 2 hours I was disappointed it wasn't longer, one of the best endings I've seen in a long time.
A-

also why did I never think of vacuuming smoke before, learned something new!

LaBelle 05-17-2015 02:54 PM

Mad Max = 4/5
Road Warrior = 5/5
Mad Max Beyond The Thunderdome = 3/5

Order 66 05-17-2015 03:34 PM

Nightcrawler - kind of a weird movie... without spoiling too much I wasn't sure if Jake ghylalalal was supposed to be an anti-hero or what. Anyway probably the best suspense flick I've seen in a really long time (if it qualifies as "suspense".. again the movies tone was kind of weird)

MusicMan4 05-17-2015 03:43 PM

How about it's just a good movie with elements of many genres
Down with the binary imo

Trotskilicious 05-17-2015 04:44 PM

i really want to see nightcrawler, i should watch movies again but there's so many games

pavementtune 05-17-2015 05:34 PM

I enjoyed Nightcrawler, and no idea if I'm especially slow to discover it but -
until this film I hadn't noticed what a great choice Jake is to play a psycho.

that face.

MusicMan4 05-17-2015 05:36 PM

Jack Gylenahall looks like a fun guy to hang out with imo