Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   Music News and Discussion (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   18 Hours of OK Computer demos (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=187361)

soniclovenoize 06-05-2019 10:10 AM

18 Hours of OK Computer demos

Wow, anyone else listening to this shit? I would have fucking killed for this 20 years ago.

Shallowed 06-05-2019 10:47 AM

Holy SHIT

https://www.stereogum.com/2046548/ra...ons-leak/news/

Shallowed 06-05-2019 10:47 AM

Where does one download this?

topleybird 06-05-2019 11:56 AM

Angel on my shoulder: I'd feel bad listening to stuff the band clearly didn't want the public to hear

Devil on my other shoulder: it looks like there are several attempts at Lift in there and that's one of my all-time favorites

Me in the middle: I don't know how to find this so the debate is meaningless

soniclovenoize 06-05-2019 02:27 PM

Some crazy shit on here fellas

- That reggae version of Karma Police!!!
- Anyone catch that soundcheck rehearsal True Love Waits with the 80s synth and drum/bass groove?? GREAT
- The Last Flowers are sloppy but interesting. I can see why they shelved it though
- That "ice cream truck" into to Lift!!

FoolofaTook 06-05-2019 02:34 PM

I'm telling Tom York.

Hope your ready for the FBI knocking down you're door.

D. 06-05-2019 03:29 PM

I don't even want to hear 53:21 of OK Computer

FoolofaTook 06-05-2019 03:33 PM

:erm:

Mals Marola 06-05-2019 04:04 PM

OKC is a top 3 album of all time for me and even i'm not sure how much of this i could listen to

that being said i guess if i split it into one hour a day or something it'd be a sweet treat

but even so, that's quite the helping after all the OKNOTOK (or whatever they called the reissue) stuff, cassette & all

smashingjj 06-05-2019 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soniclovenoize (Post 4509631)
Some crazy shit on here fellas

- That reggae version of Karma Police!!!
- Anyone catch that soundcheck rehearsal True Love Waits with the 80s synth and drum/bass groove?? GREAT
- The Last Flowers are sloppy but interesting. I can see why they shelved it though
- That "ice cream truck" into to Lift!!

jeez, I'm a fan but 18 hours is a bit much, even for me. if there's a 'best of' available somewhere of this, I'd love to read about it.

and that 'best of' I'm sure is OK Computer itself, but I mean, best of except that.

soniclovenoize 06-05-2019 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smashingjj (Post 4509639)
jeez, I'm a fan but 18 hours is a bit much, even for me. if there's a 'best of' available somewhere of this, I'd love to read about it.

and that 'best of' I'm sure is OK Computer itself, but I mean, best of except that.

Hard to say. This whole thing is a random pastiche of Thom's acoustic demos, soundboard recordings of the then-new OKC songs played live in 1996, what sounds like board tapes of the band jamming and woodshoping the songs in soundcheck, random ass samples and found sound, and then the last few discs have a bunch of rough and unmastered final mixes of the entire album.

One could just simply make several themed discs of all this. I went an pulled all the outtakes/jams/previously unheard soundcheck songs and it was like 2 and a half hours. That includes like six full takes of this completely unheard song called "Attention" that sounds like a Pablo Honey song.

It's cool to hear them struggle with arrangements for Last Flowers, Life In a Glass House, Motion Picture Soundtrack and True Love Waits. You can see where they were going with it, but ultimately wasn't "there".

This is basically a really long "Making of OKC" audio documentary.

Shallowed 06-06-2019 11:34 AM

This must be a glorious day for Radiohead super fans

pavementtune 06-09-2019 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shallowed (Post 4509727)
This must be a glorious day for Radiohead super fans

It's even better for those who live under a rock, smashingjj just told me about this an hour ago.
And I don't know what you guys have with "too long", I am listening to all 17 discs of this. Probably only once, some people already bothered to split it all up in single tracks, I'll grab the ones I like best later.

Shallowed 06-11-2019 09:16 AM

They've officially released the recordings on Bandcamp

https://radiohead.bandcamp.com/

MplsTaper 06-11-2019 09:18 AM

View this post on Instagram

radiohead.bandcamp.com rebellion.earth

A post shared by Radiohead (@radiohead) on

Quote:

Originally Posted by thom
we’ve been hacked
my archived mini discs from 1995-1998(?)
it’s not v interesting
there’s a lot of it

if you want it, you can buy the whole lot here
18 minidisks for £18
the proceeds will go to Extinction Rebellion

as it’s out there
it may as well be out there
until we all get bored
and move on

Thmx

released June 11, 2019

https://radiohead.bandcamp.com/album/minidiscs-hacked

Love the way they are handling this.

Edit: ahh, I see you up there Shallowed.

topleybird 06-11-2019 09:40 AM

If those were separated into individual tracks I would pull the trigger on that shit immediately

As it is I think I'd just find it overwhelming

soniclovenoize 06-11-2019 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MplsTaper (Post 4510211)
View this post on Instagram

radiohead.bandcamp.com rebellion.earth

A post shared by Radiohead (@radiohead) on

https://radiohead.bandcamp.com/album/minidiscs-hacked

Love the way they are handling this.

Edit: ahh, I see you up there Shallowed.

Holy fucking shit

I fucking love these guys. B0lly should take a lesson.

smashingjj 06-11-2019 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by topleybird (Post 4510216)
If those were separated into individual tracks I would pull the trigger on that shit immediately

As it is I think I'd just find it overwhelming

same here. I searched for the interesting bits through the whole thing and listened to them and they're pretty awesome but I'm not gonna spend a lot of time doing that again again. seperate songs would be a lot more convenient.

that said, it's pretty awesome how they're handling this, just like mplstaper said. I mean, compare that to 'cash rewards'!

Mals Marola 06-11-2019 12:00 PM

i'm probably gonna split them manually, disk by disk, as i start to listen, especially since pave sent me that reeeeal thorough breakdown of everything on them

mind you i ain't even heard one yet :beatup:

MplsTaper 06-11-2019 02:15 PM

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-48597096

Quote:

There are also multiple takes of the "lost single" Lift - which the band omitted from OK Computer because it was "too anthemic".

"If that song had been on that album, it would have taken us to a different place," Greenwood told BBC 6 Music in 2017.

"We'd probably have sold a lot more records... [But] I think we subconsciously killed it because if OK Computer had been like a Jagged Little Pill, like Alanis Morisette, it would have killed us."

Although the song eventually made it onto a deluxe edition of OK Computer, fans have claimed an alternate take from the leaked sessions is "probably the definitive version".

"When the band said they didn't release it because they thought they had another Creep-success level song, I wouldn't believe them off the [previously-released] version," wrote one Reddit user. "But this version I could definitely see being a big radio tune. Reminds me a lot of Bitter Sweet Symphony."

smashingjj 06-11-2019 02:37 PM

to be honest I don't hear all that much difference between the two versions

MplsTaper 06-11-2019 03:35 PM

Have not heard any of the leaked material yet but I'll take your word for it.

New Art Rioter 06-11-2019 04:28 PM

Leaked version is a lot better I think, way more bite

Mals Marola 06-11-2019 05:04 PM

Every version i'd heard of "Lift" previous to the actual "studio WIP" was stronger, so i have no problem believing that's also the case for whatever's on that minidisc

topleybird 06-11-2019 05:10 PM

It looks like there are many versions of Lift throughout — I'd kill to hear the one on Disc 15 that sounds like it's a full-band studio recording. Like I want it enough I'm considering paying the £18 despite probably never making it through the rest. But if j is right that it's not that different, that's about as disappointing as LMGTWTY Adore turned out to be.

Mals Marola 06-11-2019 05:41 PM

#NotTrustingJJ

smashingjj 06-11-2019 06:08 PM

I mean by all means check out for yourself as many people seem to disagree!

it's great, definitely, just very similar in terms of arrangement. there's a somewhat more prominent slightly distorted guitar throughout the thing. In my very unhumble opinion.

I did find a split songs version, send me a Prime Minister if interested

smashingjj 06-11-2019 06:23 PM

does anyone else find it strange how there no version or snippet of Man of War to be found on 18 hours of OKC demos?

I think Thom is keeping another 17 minidiscs from us

soniclovenoize 06-11-2019 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by topleybird (Post 4510245)
It looks like there are many versions of Lift throughout — I'd kill to hear the one on Disc 15 that sounds like it's a full-band studio recording. Like I want it enough I'm considering paying the £18 despite probably never making it through the rest. But if j is right that it's not that different, that's about as disappointing as LMGTWTY Adore turned out to be.

It's different in that it's a bit more energetic performance and guitar-driven, and there's also this neat keyboard riff intro that is not on the OKNOTOK version. I think it does sound better than the Cold Play esque Lift that came out.

slunken 06-12-2019 05:59 PM

Now Billy will never release sloppy archive material :(