Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   General Chat Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Has netpho cancelled Ricky Gervais yet (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=187642)

vixnix 01-06-2020 03:46 PM

Has netpho cancelled Ricky Gervais yet

Or are we too nihilist to take part in cancel culture because cancel culture doesn’t go far enough, everyone should be cancelled after all

run2pee 01-06-2020 03:59 PM

Oh my gosh. What did he do? He was one of my favorites...

FlamingGlobes 01-06-2020 04:15 PM

I mean, I wasn't aware I ever had him scheduled, but sure. I'll go strike a line through his name right now.

smashingjj 01-06-2020 04:16 PM

As a rule, everyone is preemptively cancelled.

smashingjj 01-06-2020 04:22 PM

I have no idea whatever Gervais supposedly has done.

Louis CK still performs in much smaller venues. When they book him here in Amsterdam, they only announce it one or two days beforehand out of fear of outrage and there's protesting going on in front of the venue on the night of the gig.

I mean it's not pretty what he did and he paid his price but he's kind of named alongside mass rapists and the whole fucking witch hunt is pretty stupid.

duovamp 01-06-2020 04:39 PM

Louis C. K. must be killed. That is the only solution.

smashingjj 01-06-2020 04:39 PM

The final solution, if you will.

duovamp 01-06-2020 04:42 PM

If you commit a crime you pay for it forever. Eternal joblessness and shame aren’t enough.

topleybird 01-06-2020 05:14 PM

I agree, a comedian who forced other comedians to watch him jerk off should absolutely get to still be a comedian, and in the same environment in which he caught his prey

duovamp 01-06-2020 05:22 PM

If he shows up at a McDonald's with a job application, I'll protest that too. So he should just be killed and save us the hassle.

buzzard 01-06-2020 05:32 PM

I would have been okay with Gervais getting run down by a wayward Mr. Whippy the day after The Office wrapped.

Extras was fine and Life's Too Short was pretty much that again with heavy doses of Curb mixed in, but what else actually is there?

Disco King 01-06-2020 05:33 PM

I think that the punishment should fit the crime.

Louis C.K. should be asked by a person more powerful than he is to watch her masturbate.

Like his victims, he'll think she's only joking and will playfully respond "yes," only for him to realize what kind of hell he's in when she actually proceeds to do so.

smashingjj 01-06-2020 05:42 PM

when I saw Ricky Gervais live he had a part about this phenomenon called 'woke comedy'

he said 'I'd rather watch Louis CK jerk off in front of me than go to a set of woke comedy again'

is Gervais more powerful than CK? I'm sure he'd return the favour

smashingjj 01-06-2020 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buzzard (Post 4526693)
I would have been okay with Gervais getting run down by a wayward Mr. Whippy the day after The Office wrapped.

Extras was fine and Life's Too Short was pretty much that again with heavy doses of Curb mixed in, but what else actually is there?

His standup and After Life.

Extras was fucking amazing though

smashingjj 01-06-2020 05:46 PM

This part was on the Extras bonus dvd

buzzard 01-06-2020 06:01 PM

Honestly, that very tape featurette was effectively where I found my view of the guy start to turn.

The self-indulgence and that everybody-look-at-me laugh just grates so hard.

topleybird 01-06-2020 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duovamp (Post 4526692)
If he shows up at a McDonald's with a job application, I'll protest that too.

I think they want you to apply online these days so I'd be right there with you

run2pee 01-06-2020 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buzzard (Post 4526693)

Quote:

Originally Posted by smashingjj (Post 4526700)
His standup and After Life.

Extras was fucking amazing though

Also his golden globes appearances have been 10/10. Nothing like seeing the sanctimonious butthurt on all those improbably pretty faces

run2pee 01-06-2020 06:13 PM

He also brought us the Ricky Gervais Show and An Idiot Abroad, both worthwhile for a snort, chortle or rarely, an outright guffaw

buzzard 01-06-2020 06:19 PM

The Office alone justifies his existence within the space-time continuum — though this consequently brought us the American series which admittedly does take the polish off to a decent extent — but I am pretty sure we could have made it as a species without the rest.

Scientology jokes and pointing out that Johnny Depp's career is hardly peaking lately is low-hanging fruit as fuck.

duovamp 01-06-2020 06:28 PM

DRAG HIS ASS RICK.

smashingjj 01-06-2020 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buzzard (Post 4526721)
The Office alone justifies his existence within the space-time continuum — though this consequently brought us the American series which admittedly does take the polish off to a decent extent — but I am pretty sure we could have made it as a species without the rest.

Scientology jokes and pointing out that Johnny Depp's career is hardly peaking lately is low-hanging fruit as fuck.

Hey, season 38 of the US office is top notch. You really have to watch the first 37 ones to get it but once you're there you won't be disappointed.

smashingjj 01-06-2020 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buzzard (Post 4526708)
Honestly, that very tape featurette was effectively where I found my view of the guy start to turn.

The self-indulgence and that everybody-look-at-me laugh just grates so hard.

well, I get that. still, I love it.

I'm so open-minded!

buzzard 01-06-2020 06:54 PM

Typical Hagenaar political exile attitude, right there.

If my biggest problem was getting a superyacht up the canal, I'd probably get a kick out of shrill self-congratulation, too.

MyOneAndOnly 01-07-2020 08:59 PM

He's a transphobic piece of shit. Wealthy famous men can't be cancelled. Just ask Louis CK

Cancelling really only works on people with little or no power.

run2pee 01-07-2020 10:38 PM

Is it transphobia then? Dammit it’s worse than i feared. Was clicking back just now in the hopes at worst he’d just touched a bunch of boy penises. But transphobia, damn. Why’s he gotta be a butthead like that

smashingjj 01-08-2020 05:48 AM

he had this part where he spoke out against political correctness and where it goes a bit too far sometimes. I remember cringing and preparing myself for a part that could have been written by Fuzzy, but what followed was this story about a trans woman abusing her position among other women - she still had a penis and raped women. She got arrested and went to jail but it had to be a women's jail, and guess what happened there. Gervais put on a guy's voice when he impersonated the rapist.

I got slight fuzzy vibes during this part, but I didn't think it went overboard too much, I had the feeling he spoke out against a certain climate where there's ways for criminals to abuse the idea that trans women should be treated as women. While that is cause for suspicion, he didn't say things about the trans community itself.

LaBelle 01-08-2020 07:28 AM

Reading this thread

yo soy el mejor 01-08-2020 09:50 AM

iz just locker-room talk

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

yo soy el mejor 01-08-2020 09:53 AM

ITT: dudes begin to dismiss sexual assault followed by some love for ricky gervais