Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   SP live on Jimmy Fallon (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=186392)

VoxUpDoc 06-12-2018 07:13 AM

Solara sounds a million times fucking better with James‘ guitar parts and Corgan’s vocals buried.

Song is mediocre, but would be fine for the band at this stage.

Just... Why the fuck doesn’t the studio recording sound like this.

MyKeyZ 06-12-2018 07:13 AM

Sadly Rick Rubin is just a promotional piece. He is there so they can say "recorded and produced with Rick Rubin" on the ads to sell some more copies to those people who know no better. But for those in the know, having Rick produce is more negative than positive. Same way Billy used Tommy Lee on Monuments To An Elegy. A name to spout so he could sell some records. Honestly, if no one said "and with Tommy Lee on drums" you would have thought it was any other hired studio drummer as there is nothing really special about the drum performance on that album.

Rick Rubin has turned himself into a promotional tool. But there's no turning back. Billy seems to think he needs that "recorded with Rick Rubin" gimmick to move new music.

I imagine Billy and Rick lie around stroking each other's ego. "Billy, you're the greatest!" "No Rick, you are the greatest!" "Aww shucks, Billy, but you are the genius here." "That's sweet of you, Rick, but it was you who helped me rock again."

amoergosum 06-12-2018 07:13 AM

Funbags 06-12-2018 07:17 AM

Hey, now I've heard the high quality video of Solara, I like it even more!

I hope they overdub James' leads for the EP version if it isn't already in the can.

fluxequalsrad 06-12-2018 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funbags (Post 4442281)
Hey, now I've heard the high quality video of Solara, I like it even more!

I hope they overdub James' leads for the EP version if it isn't already in the can.

its most certainly in the can. where it belongs.

incubator 06-12-2018 07:23 AM

There was an interview the other day where Billy said they're gonna release updated versions of songs and they'd be a solaras version 2 so hopefully it has more James on it

Forgotten Child 06-12-2018 07:32 AM

To be honest, James solos make me wonder how much of that song was recorded after they reunited. I wouldn't be surprised if they basically added jimmys drums to the original structure...

Corgan's Bluff 06-12-2018 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by incubator (Post 4442283)
There was an interview the other day where Billy said they're gonna release updated versions of songs and they'd be a solaras version 2 so hopefully it has more James on it

The link to it:

amoergosum 06-12-2018 08:54 AM

Iha - comparison (studio vs live):

themadcaplaughs 06-12-2018 09:00 AM

It says something when a broadcast television performance - infamous for their shitty sound quality - sounds 100% better than the recorded song. I am not saying the song itself got better, but it certainly seems less offensive when you have multiple guitars doing different things and Jimmy's drums have room to breathe.

ninsp 06-12-2018 09:38 AM

Wow

Solara slammed
As usual butchered production, lack of Iha on the track is lolworthy, he gave it that punch and soul
Billy’s vox sounds good in the mix
This is pretty clearly Day for Night with cut and pasted Jimmy

Zero slammed

This is the best the band has sounded live in who knows how long

Shadaloo 06-12-2018 09:42 AM

Yeah, that settles it for me. The song was perfectly salvageable, fuck Rick Rubin. James saves it.

That said they did seem a little off and Zero was definitely phoned in. Jimmy straight up looked bored back there at one point during it. They were definitely all into Solara more.

Maybe the mixed reaction to the song has Bill shook. He was absolutely off, really nervous through much of it. You can see him try to get himself back on track a little towards the end of Zero after that incredibly lazy "Pow". His vocals need a lot of work. It's like he's trying to find a comfortable medium and can't quite get there.

James was the best part of this without hyperbole.

ninsp 06-12-2018 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadaloo (Post 4442343)
Yeah, that settles it for me. The song was perfectly salvageable, fuck Rick Rubin. James saves it.

That said they did seem a little off and Zero was definitely phoned in. Jimmy straight up looked bored back there at one point during it. They were definitely all into Solara more.

Maybe the mixed reaction to the song has Bill shook. He was absolutely off, really nervous through much of it. You can see him try to get himself back on track a little towards the end of Zero after that incredibly lazy "Pow". His vocals need a lot of work. It's like he's trying to find a comfortable medium and can't quite get there.

James was the best part of this without hyperbole.

This performance definitely shows how vital James is to the band. He adds such...aura? I can’t explain what I mean.

LaBelle 06-12-2018 09:51 AM

I thought both songs sounded ok.

amoergosum 06-12-2018 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninsp (Post 4442344)
This performance definitely shows how vital James is to the band. He adds such...aura? I can’t explain what I mean.

ninsp 06-12-2018 10:19 AM

Controversial opinion: the band has always looked tired and out of it, they are and always have been shoegazers
Controversial opinion: zero sounded better here than MCIS vids

johncg 06-12-2018 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paranoid (Post 4442241)
“Start listening more critically” lol you’re a douche.

Out of your league here bud. Putting you on ignore, later.

Learn how to be mildly flamed gracefully. This is Netphoria. :)

TuralyonW3 06-12-2018 10:30 AM

Listening to both tracks on good computers speakers with sub this morning, the band mix sounds pretty fantastic.

Billy's Solara vox were fine, just needed more air in a couple places

With zero, not sure why he refuses to go full on "in character" for the song. not nearly whiny and growly enough

House of Bread 06-12-2018 10:43 AM

Billy has to be sick. Grabbing the water right after each performance like that made me think he'd probably start coughing if he tried to go all out. If he isn't, then what in the fuck, dude? Why phone in a TV performance?!

smashingjj 06-12-2018 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johncg (Post 4442364)
Learn how to be mildly flamed gracefully. This is Netphoria. :)

dude's been here since 1970, I think he knows what being on netphoria means.

artvase 06-12-2018 10:51 AM

this confirms my initial assumptions, only 2 people are on that solara studio track, corgan and jimmy

LaBelle 06-12-2018 11:06 AM

Solara EXPOSED

smashingjj 06-12-2018 11:07 AM

Click here if you want to know what REALLY happened during the Solara sessions (warning: shocking)

Big Truck05 06-12-2018 11:31 AM

James was great and a breath of fresh air to the song.

The band looked uninspired and bored up there. No bended-knee-rock-stance and flailing-arm-Billy poses. And why is Jeff still around? There's too many dudes on stage.

enthusaroo 06-12-2018 11:35 AM

need to fucking get rid of Jeff

Butt Pope 06-12-2018 11:45 AM

I’m usually cynical and snarky, but I enjoyed Zero a lot. Bill’s vocals we’re weak, but at 51 I’ll take it. Music sounded good. His voice was so gruff in a lot of the MICS era performances that I think weaker singing and less screams will be required to make it through the tour and that’s ok.

Holy moly I’m actually looking forward to the half empty reunion show.

Butt Pope 06-12-2018 11:47 AM

Also lol at whoever said tonight show performance would push Solara to 1 million YouTube views. The original is at 300k and the tonight show version not even 10k.

Butt Pope 06-12-2018 11:54 AM

Damn the Zero performance has three times the views as Solara.

slayed23 06-12-2018 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butt Pope (Post 4442385)
Damn the Zero performance has three times the views as Solara.

Did they take the zero video down? I can't view the link anymore.

slayed23 06-12-2018 12:02 PM

On youtube, you used to be able to track viewing statistics on individual videos. Think such as viewing progressions over time, views by country, etc. Why did they disable that?