Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   Music Board Archive (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   I've hit middle age as far as my taste in music (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=180833)

Catherine Wheel 04-14-2014 11:15 AM

I've hit middle age as far as my taste in music
 
I don't really have the desire to listen to loud noisy music anymore. I'm mostly into trip hop and ambient stuff now. And in the last couple of months I've discovered lounge / bossa nova. If I do listen to rock it's mostly mellow Britpop / dreampop type stuff.

D. 04-14-2014 12:11 PM

Conversely I've gotten into more noisey stuff as I've gotten older; and a lot of the new bands/ new records from indie stalwarts I kind of accept without asking too much from them.

Catherine Wheel 04-14-2014 12:18 PM

I think that's why I prefer How To Destroy Angels to Nine Inch Nails. Because with HTDA Trent is making more downtempo / ambient sounding stuff. For the first time I've actually found a project that Trent Reznor has been involved in that I genuinely like.

Catherine Wheel 04-14-2014 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D. (Post 4052611)
Conversely I've gotten into more noisey stuff as I've gotten older; and a lot of the new bands/ new records from indie stalwarts I kind of accept without asking too much from them.

What kind of stuff did you like when you were younger that was so different?

Starla 04-14-2014 02:09 PM

I've been listening more to the 80's and 70's stuff the past couple of years. Anything from old R&B, new wave, Yes, floyd, moody blues..etc

Shallowed 04-14-2014 08:17 PM

We all go through phases.

slunken 04-14-2014 08:28 PM

I'M GOING THRU CHANGES

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/v0t-xvbfX1c/hqdefault.jpg

toase 04-14-2014 08:43 PM

Are you excited about Kate Bush returning to the stages?
If you're not, then you're not old enough...

The exploding boy 04-17-2014 08:48 AM

I stopped having an interest in "heavier" music about ten years ago.

I can't listen to half the pumpkins stuff anymore. Its just too "heavy" for my tastes. Well basically by heavy i mean (cause SP was never technically very heavy at all) heavily distorted guitars do nothing for me anymore and haven't in a long time. It's like yeah, yeah you crank up the fuzz and hit power chords, that started being boring around the time nickelback started to do it (actually even before that).

It's just been gay sounding shit for me for a good while now(80s pop/synthpop/new wave/post punk)

At least i haven't started to like Sting's solo career. That's always what i associated reaching middle age with (not that i am middle age yet). If i ever do, i'll know it's time to jump off something high.

toase 04-17-2014 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The exploding boy (Post 4053057)
I stopped having an interest in "heavier" music about ten years ago.

I can't listen to half the pumpkins stuff anymore. Its just too "heavy" for my tastes. Well basically by heavy i mean (cause SP was never technically very heavy at all) heavily distorted guitars do nothing for me anymore and haven't in a long time. It's like yeah, yeah you crank up the fuzz and hit power chords, that started being boring around the time nickelback started to do it (actually even before that).

It's just been gay sounding shit for me for a good while now(80s pop/synthpop/new wave/post punk)

At least i haven't started to like Sting's solo career. That's always what i associated reaching middle age with (not that i am middle age yet). If i ever do, i'll know it's time to jump off something high.

What do you mean? Ten Summoner's Tales is the shit

D. 04-17-2014 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catherine Wheel (Post 4052614)
What kind of stuff did you like when you were younger that was so different?

Depends on your definition of younger; teen years was SP along with bullshit like Bush and Hootie and the Blowfish, lol

Early 20's was all Kill Hannah, ambient, glitch, instrumental, along with just some regular indie shit

Mid-20's I got way more into shoegaze, indie w/ electronic elements, some post punk etc

Late-20's to now I'm like give me noisey stuff like APTBS, DFHVN, weird shit like Ice Balloons, shoegaze like Ceremony and Screen Vinyl Image, and psych (Black Angels, Warlocks, etc). But I still like a generic indie album every now and then.

Catherine Wheel 04-17-2014 12:41 PM

I went through a glitch phase, with Telefon Tel Aviv. I think I got into ambient around the same time I discovered TTA. The Solaris soundtrack was my first foray into ambient.

The exploding boy 04-17-2014 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toase (Post 4053061)
What do you mean? Ten Summoner's Tales is the shit

uh-oh. time for someone to go jump off a bridge.


Just kidding. It's fine, I just don't care for Sting past The Police. there's something just...terribly baby boomer about it to me.

Catherine Wheel 04-17-2014 02:14 PM

Yeah similarly I don't care for General Public. Only the English Beat. Everything Dave Dave Wakeling did after the English Beat I always avoid.

toase 04-17-2014 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The exploding boy (Post 4053105)
uh-oh. time for someone to go jump off a bridge.

Just kidding. It's fine, I just don't care for Sting past The Police. there's something just...terribly baby boomer about it to me.

Middle-aged-men-music is peter gabriel, ok?

Trotskilicious 04-17-2014 08:35 PM

no it's definitely sting too and i like ten summoners

Trotskilicious 04-17-2014 08:35 PM

well i did, i haven't listened to it since i was in my early 20s

reprise85 04-17-2014 11:37 PM

fields of gold is a good song though

redbreegull 04-18-2014 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The exploding boy (Post 4053057)
Well basically by heavy i mean (cause SP was never technically very heavy at all) heavily distorted guitars do nothing for me anymore and haven't in a long time.

is this a joke? I know SP was never like a heavy metal band, but at least 50% of their output is hard rock, and at their most frantic moments they are as heavy as anybody. insane energy in the early days

redbreegull 04-18-2014 12:31 AM

also holy shit the depth of their guitar tone in the SD era is probably second to only Black Sabbath in terms of masturbatory rhythm guitar glory

Trotskilicious 04-18-2014 02:57 AM

yeah there were plenty of metal fans who liked MCIS and even SD

The exploding boy 04-18-2014 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toase (Post 4053116)
Middle-aged-men-music is peter gabriel, ok?

Yet i prefer Solsbury Hill to any solo Sting song. Though i will concede that was some reason, i also kinda like Fields of Gold. But it might be because it reminds me of my teen years.

Quote:

Originally Posted by redbreegull (Post 4053177)
is this a joke? I know SP was never like a heavy metal band, but at least 50% of their output is hard rock, and at their most frantic moments they are as heavy as anybody. insane energy in the early days


Well exactly, not heavy compared to say, death metal.

It's heavy enough. But to any metal fan, not very much. I just didnt want to make it seem like i thought SP was the heaviest band i ever heard....

toase 04-22-2014 01:41 AM

Two words: Vinnie Colaiuta
Pay no attention to the singer, only the drummer
Just like, I dunno, that band called The Smashing Pumpkins


D. 04-22-2014 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reprise85 (Post 4053173)
fields of gold is a good song though

True story: 1999, heard this song on the radio and thought it was "fields of bodies" in the lyrics during that one part of the song and so j called up the soft rock station and asked what song was the one that went "something something fields of bodies" and he had no idea what I was talking about.

FFWD to 2000, Tracy Chapman and Sting is my first concert. Free ticket. Still have the shirt, I believe.

Trotskilicious 04-22-2014 01:43 PM

Oh fields of barley i guess

D. 04-22-2014 02:29 PM

I did wonder later how the guy could not know what song i was referencing when they had just played the song and the way sting says barley sounds not unlike bodies.

slunken 04-22-2014 04:44 PM

Because radio DJs are robots

Trotskilicious 04-22-2014 05:28 PM


redbreegull 04-22-2014 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The exploding boy (Post 4053218)
Well exactly, not heavy compared to say, death metal.

It's heavy enough. But to any metal fan, not very much. I just didnt want to make it seem like i thought SP was the heaviest band i ever heard....

obviously we're getting into meaningless subjective definitions, but I don't think veering farther and farther into atonality and torture noises makes a band "heavier." Sabbath is the heaviest band to me, because the power of the guitars and the drums feels like an endless tidal wave of rock insanity pummeling me into the bottom of the ocean. SP comes pretty close to this at times. The more "metal" a band gets, the more I usually feel the power of the music is gutted by toneless, thin, staticy guitars through solid state amps, indecipherable screaming, and gimmicky shitty double-kick speed drums. It's almost like you try so hard you just completely miss the mark. When everything is turned up to level 10 insanity at all times, you lose the context and the music doesn't seem powerful anymore

slunken 04-22-2014 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redbreegull (Post 4054104)
double-kick speed drums.

ugh i hate this.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:04 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Smashing Pumpkins, Alternative Music
& General Discussion Message Board and Forums
www.netphoria.org - Copyright 1998-2014