Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   Music Board Archive (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   listen to the new sun kil moon album (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=184541)

smashingjj 02-15-2017 10:27 AM

listen to the new sun kil moon album

http://www.sunkilmoon.com/commonaslight/

smashingjj 02-15-2017 10:31 AM

my expectations weren't very high. Maybe that is the reason i quite like it so far

Elphenor 02-15-2017 01:22 PM

No.

Elphenor 02-15-2017 01:22 PM

OK maybe later

redbreegull 02-16-2017 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smashingjj (Post 4320621)
my expectations weren't very high. Maybe that is the reason i quite like it so far

is it actually any good? his last few releases have been quite a slog to get through

wHATcOLOR 02-17-2017 05:43 AM

is this a command?

smashingjj 02-17-2017 08:44 AM

Are you questioning my orders?

smashingjj 02-17-2017 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redbreegull (Post 4321103)
is it actually any good? his last few releases have been quite a slog to get through

Afraid not. I liked parts of universal themes but he really seems to have lost all his quality control this time. Almost very song is overlong, hardly memorable and downright boring. The whole thing is something like two hours too.

ohnoitsbonnie 02-17-2017 01:29 PM

Marco Kozaleki dropped the ball

wHATcOLOR 02-18-2017 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smashingjj (Post 4321273)
Are you questioning my orders?

Sir, no sir!

redbreegull 02-18-2017 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smashingjj (Post 4321274)
Afraid not. I liked parts of universal themes but he really seems to have lost all his quality control this time. Almost very song is overlong, hardly memorable and downright boring. The whole thing is something like two hours too.

Since he started his own label, he has just been continuously ramping up his rate of releases. Now it seems he puts out at least 1 album a year plus a live LP or two and a disc of covers or a collaboration... I would love to be inundated with this amount of work from him, except his last five releases seem like as much work went into them combined as April.

Elphenor 02-18-2017 11:46 AM

My online friend with good tastes (who's 22 named Chris and 6'3 no joke) says this album was pretty good for Sun Kills Moon better than whatever they did last

smashingjj 02-18-2017 11:55 AM

it's just the latest few things that bother me. I even like parts of Universal Themes and the Jesu collaboration album. I saw them live together and it wasn't good though. The sound was really bad and the songs probably even worse.

I still love Benji and everything before that. I cherish my autographed Benji lp like the little fanboy i am <3

redbreegull 02-18-2017 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smashingjj (Post 4321875)
it's just the latest few things that bother me. I even like parts of Universal Themes and the Jesu collaboration album. I saw them live together and it wasn't good though. The sound was really bad and the songs probably even worse.

I still love Benji and everything before that. I cherish my autographed Benji lp like the little fanboy i am <3

to me, there is a big dividing line between Admiral Fell and everything that has come out after. Every single album of originals up through Admiral Fell is solid through and through, but starting with Among the Leaves, he really changed and his songs began to seem like a lot less work went into them. I liked parts of Leaves, parts of Benji (a few songs are very very good), parts of Perils from the Sea, parts of Universal Themes. But overall his newer style really doesn't do it for me. It's hard for me to appreciate a really gifted singer purposely singing like he just woke up with a cold, and a really gifted lyricist penning prosaic errand lists as lyrics

smashingjj 02-19-2017 06:33 AM

i get that. that 'rambling' phase he seems to have fully embraced now started about there, on Leaves. I remember really not liking that album at first. It has slowly turned into one of my favourites though. I think Benji is perfect. There was a lot of that rambling (i'm just calling it that to refer to what he does now) but it really worked for me on that album. Lyrics were painfully personal and it was kind of a musical revelation to me.

Have you heard the Desertshore albums? this one is really really good. It kind of sounds exactly like a regular Sun Kil Moon album from that phase, but I think the guys from that band also played with SKM live.

redbreegull 02-19-2017 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smashingjj (Post 4322117)
i get that. that 'rambling' phase he seems to have fully embraced now started about there, on Leaves. I remember really not liking that album at first. It has slowly turned into one of my favourites though. I think Benji is perfect. There was a lot of that rambling (i'm just calling it that to refer to what he does now) but it really worked for me on that album. Lyrics were painfully personal and it was kind of a musical revelation to me.

Have you heard the Desertshore albums? this one is really really good. It kind of sounds exactly like a regular Sun Kil Moon album from that phase, but I think the guys from that band also played with SKM live.

Yeah I like that one quite a lot. Sounds a bit like Red House Painters actually, I think at least one of the other musicians is from the RHP days.

at this point I'm just a bit tired of hearing about lying in bed with his cat watching wrestling and how annoying touring is and eating crab cakes with ben gibbard.

but even his guitar parts have undergone this minimalist transformation. Many of the songs off the last few albums are just classical guitar loops that go on for like 8 fuckin minutes

smashingjj 02-19-2017 06:45 PM

yep.

and even that part hasn't improved - which is a big understatement

that fake tinder picture scotty posted about SKM being a 'dad rap project' is painfully true