Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   30 Seconds to Mars may have beat Billy to the punch re: America. (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=185223)

Funbags 07-03-2017 06:56 PM

30 Seconds to Mars may have beat Billy to the punch re: America.
 


http://thirtysecondstomars.us/

Quote:

This Tuesday, the 4th of July, we are filming a massive portrait of America, capturing a single day in the life of this beautiful country in all 50 states, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico.

Itís an incredible opportunity to document the USA during a very important time in our country.

And we need your help.

We are asking you to film whatís important, impactful, challenging or inspiring to you.

It can be a single shot, a person, an entire event, or a compelling story - we want to see your America in all its imperfect glory.

When shooting, please try to be as brave, bold and creative as possible. The most compelling footage will be what makes it into the final portrait.

Funbags 07-03-2017 06:56 PM

30 Seconds to Mars may have beat Billy to the punch re: America.
 
.

Funbags 07-03-2017 06:56 PM

Album = shelved.

FoolofaTook 07-03-2017 07:44 PM

Funbags you are worst poster of all time. Even worse then SomaPhreak. I hate you and your ancestors too.

wounded 07-03-2017 09:01 PM

didn't coldplay already do this shit

Corgan's Bluff 07-03-2017 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wounded (Post 4369039)
didn't coldplay already do this shit

COLDPLAY is a :dammit:BRITISH band, :Stupid:MF:banging:!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coldplay

Ram27 07-03-2017 09:47 PM

pumpkins camp is very pissed off

FlamingGlobes 07-03-2017 09:50 PM

30 Seconds to Mars are one of those bands who just want sooo bad to be important but it's definitely not happening.

Doesn't help that Leto is an uber-douche.

Funbags 07-04-2017 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FoolofaTook (Post 4369037)
Funbags you are worst poster of all time. Even worse then SomaPhreak. I hate you and your ancestors too.

Wrong. I am the best poster of all time.

Corgan's Bluff 07-04-2017 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funbags (Post 4369106)
Wrong. I am the best imposter of all time.

:2thumbsup"Funbags" therefore is the right chosen name...:bump:

FoolofaTook 07-04-2017 02:32 AM

I'm going to see BORIS. Again.

The Omega Concern 07-04-2017 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlamingGlobes (Post 4369046)
30 Seconds to Mars are one of those bands who just want sooo bad to be important but it's definitely not happening.

Doesn't help that Leto is an uber-douche.



You mean they wanna be like U2 or something? Not that they're culturally relevant or anything like they might think. I think the last real cultural relevant band was Nirvana. Internet has fragmented things to where that kinda thing might not happen again.

Fysche went to high school with Leto. I met him once briefly but I didn't know he was a musician, just an actor.

Kahlo 07-04-2017 05:27 AM

This project has been done by countless people/individuals/organisations/film makers before.

There is nothing new under the sun.

I still don't know what the point of Corgan's jolly across America was.

FlamingGlobes 07-04-2017 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Omega Concern (Post 4369134)
You mean they wanna be like U2 or something? Not that they're culturally relevant or anything like they might think. I think the last real cultural relevant band was Nirvana. Internet has fragmented things to where that kinda thing might not happen again.

Fysche went to high school with Leto. I met him once briefly but I didn't know he was a musician, just an actor.

I think they do the whole "anthems for Coke commercials" thing to death. Whatever that one album was where every song had "uplifting" background vocals by a chorus of their fans is the last I heard anything from them. Seemed (and still seems) they're reaching for U2-esque heights but they aren't as talented or as appealing as they seem to think. I don't know if any of that is coherent; it's just an overall vibe I get from them.

I like Leto fine as an actor, but if I saw Suicide Squad, my opinion on his acting abilities would probably turn as well.

Run To Me 07-04-2017 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kahlo (Post 4369143)
This project has been done by countless people/individuals/organisations/film makers before.

There is nothing new under the sun.

I still don't know what the point of Corgan's jolly across America was.

I thought we decided it was to get away from the squalling Auggie Joop

Narcissists can't handle newborns b/c they don't care about your legacy, your genius, or your 3/5 pain, they just poop n cry, poop n cry, poop n cry

slunken 07-04-2017 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kahlo (Post 4369143)

I still don't know what the point of Corgan's jolly across America was.

I think he was trying to remember what it's like to not be an insufferable egotistical rock star.

Funbags 07-04-2017 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kahlo (Post 4369143)
This project has been done by countless people/individuals/organisations/film makers before.

Billy's got his album in the can. He's done his roadtrip. The video's being edited (apparently). Now Leto's stealing his hype.

They're basically doing the same thing except Leto's fanbase and budget are way bigger. The dude has pro film crews over the country and enough fans that when he says "get involved" -they actually do. He runs a Summer Camp for fans ffs.

One glaring difference, though, is Billy's idea of America seems to be on a MAGA tip, whereas Leto is asking what it means to be American today. I guarantee the projects will be compared by critics assuming Billy's thing actually gets released.

Kahlo 07-05-2017 07:41 AM

Yep, I think the glaring difference is that Leto's project might actually see the light of day.

The Omega Concern 07-05-2017 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlamingGlobes (Post 4369165)
I think they do the whole "anthems for Coke commercials" thing to death. Whatever that one album was where every song had "uplifting" background vocals by a chorus of their fans is the last I heard anything from them. Seemed (and still seems) they're reaching for U2-esque heights but they aren't as talented or as appealing as they seem to think. I don't know if any of that is coherent; it's just an overall vibe I get from them.

I like Leto fine as an actor, but if I saw Suicide Squad, my opinion on his acting abilities would probably turn as well.



ahh...I'm not that familiar with their music. I did think that one song from this album you speak to was pretty good, but the video was a bit of a reach for some type of social significance -- the one where in the beginning of it fans are getting all emotional about emoting and stuff.

Fysche was waiting for me to finish some pick-up hoops on Venice Beach one day and I see her and Paul there talking to a few guys. I didn't even know who Leto was; he had a baseball hat on with big sunglasses and it was a quick introduction and off we went. Fysche was going on about how he's some big actor who just finished a movie with Nicholas Cage, which I did end up seeing and is a pretty good flick, Lord of War I think it was.

Catherine Wheel 07-05-2017 08:41 PM

30 Seconds To Mars' first album is a lot of fun. It's like Tool meets Depeche Mode. Very electronic and prog-rock / prog-metal. The next one sounds like a poor man's My Chemical Romance. There are a couple of tracks off of that one that I like. They lost with me with everything after that.

Run To Me 07-06-2017 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Omega Concern (Post 4369449)
ahh...I'm not that familiar with their music. I did think that one song from this album you speak to was pretty good, but the video was a bit of a reach for some type of social significance -- the one where in the beginning of it fans are getting all emotional about emoting and stuff.

Fysche was waiting for me to finish some pick-up hoops on Venice Beach one day and I see her and Paul there talking to a few guys. I didn't even know who Leto was; he had a baseball hat on with big sunglasses and it was a quick introduction and off we went. Fysche was going on about how he's some big actor who just finished a movie with Nicholas Cage, which I did end up seeing and is a pretty good flick, Lord of War I think it was.

Humble brag about CAN PLAY BASKETBALL

Ok so now we know u hoop the shoots, gonna need the details stat (does play 21? Horsies? Nothing but nette???) b4 can even dream of sleepin 2nite

slunken 07-06-2017 02:25 AM

Both Catherine Wheel and TOC support this band - shit, what's not to like?

Kahlo 07-06-2017 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slunken (Post 4369534)
Both Catherine Wheel and TOC support this band - shit, what's not to like?

Catherine Wheel, mostly.

Funbags 07-07-2017 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catherine Wheel (Post 4369450)
30 Seconds To Mars' first album is a lot of fun. It's like Tool meets Depeche Mode. Very electronic and prog-rock / prog-metal. The next one sounds like a poor man's My Chemical Romance. There are a couple of tracks off of that one that I like. They lost with me with everything after that.

Yeah, I've only really heard their earlier albums, which was apparently before they became huge with the youngsters.

This is Leto's post about the fan submissions:

Quote:

We are absolutely blown away by all of your contributions. We have thousands and thousands and thousands of submissions and are beyond inspired by what you sent. It was a day in our lives we will never forget.
Thank you so much for helping to make this dream a reality.
It's gratitude like that that makes being a fan of Billy Corgan feel like an abusive relationship.

Leto: "You deserve love and respect"
Billy: "You didn't respond how I wanted you to and now you get the hose"

Catherine Wheel 07-07-2017 02:38 AM

Their second album the emo MCR sounding one was when they started catching on. From what I've heard of the more recent stuff it's U2 light. They definitely sold out and lost their edge. There are also some really cool non album tracks from their early days like Revolution and Anarchy in Tokyo.

The Omega Concern 07-07-2017 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Run To Me (Post 4369521)
Humble brag about CAN PLAY BASKETBALL

Ok so now we know u hoop the shoots, gonna need the details stat (does play 21? Horsies? Nothing but nette???) b4 can even dream of sleepin 2nite



ru serious? im not a homophobe btw, for christ sakes...to each his own, just leave the kids alone.


anyway...i played baseball through college and played hoops to stay in shape at times. I could ball when I really wanted to, but in those pick up games you have to be careful of undercuts, so fuck all that...i'd usually assume playmaker duties, set guys up and take the open jumpers.

The Omega Concern 07-07-2017 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catherine Wheel (Post 4369450)
30 Seconds To Mars' first album is a lot of fun. It's like Tool meets Depeche Mode. Very electronic and prog-rock / prog-metal. The next one sounds like a poor man's My Chemical Romance. There are a couple of tracks off of that one that I like. They lost with me with everything after that.



i see...you're not doing that indie-kid "the first albums ahrite" bit are you? j/k, that trajectory makes sense. but Tool meets Depeche Mode is right down my alley, i sit musically in there myself at times.

slunken 07-07-2017 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Omega Concern (Post 4369781)
i but Tool meets Depeche Mode is right down my alley, i sit musically in there myself at times.

I can see (hear) it.

TuralyonW3 07-07-2017 05:01 PM

tool meets depeche mode is a perfect circle. like exactly

The Omega Concern 07-07-2017 05:52 PM

ya think? pretty much, huh. I checked out the APC rig rundown with Howerdel and James. It was nice to see how Howerdel only uses 2 guitars through a tour, not 10 to 15. They tune to C sharp though I think, which is why they're so permanently drony, but not in a bad way -- his tone is unique and on point.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:27 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Smashing Pumpkins, Alternative Music
& General Discussion Message Board and Forums
www.netphoria.org - Copyright © 1998-2014