Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   General Chat Archive (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   The Truth About Popular Music (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=186492)

redbreegull 07-05-2018 10:50 PM

PLEASE LOOK AT ME

redbreegull 07-05-2018 10:50 PM

PLZ

fuzzyroes 07-05-2018 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redbreegull (Post 4447830)
oh man a number 70 album in 1986 they were on fire

Bands that are a phenomenon in the UK usually end up gaining notoriety in the United States. It takes awhile though.

For you and Elph to act like The Smiths were some sort of underground band seriously cracks me up.

Elphenor 07-05-2018 10:52 PM

they were not an underground band but they sure were an indie band

EMI turned them down because the execs didn't see the $$$

imagine how much music we'd be missing out on if major labels still had the final say

redbreegull 07-05-2018 10:52 PM

you've made a great argument here fuzzy, I'm sure you're really proud of yourself.

fuzzyroes 07-05-2018 10:55 PM

"There have always been underground scenes, and a lot of what this community considers the "standards" or canonical or whatever, that music enjoyed only cult status until the age of the internet suddenly made it so everyone knew who the Pixies and the Smiths are"

Every single Smiths album reached number 2 or higher in the U.K.

They were absolute mainstream superstars.

RBG, please open your eyes beyond the United States.

fuzzyroes 07-05-2018 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elphenor (Post 4447836)
they were not an underground band but they sure were an indie band

EMI turned them down because the execs didn't see the $$$

imagine how much music we'd be missing out on if major labels still had the final say

Yeah, they were one of the few bands who became a phenomenon who did it entirely on their own terms. It's why they're so beloved and legendary.

While they were signed to an independent label, they had major label distribution... But that's not saying a lot. Major labels would've been stupid not to get a piece of the pie.

Elphenor 07-05-2018 11:00 PM

thanks for the history lesson fuzz

read my posts back to me as your own

redbreegull 07-05-2018 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzyroes (Post 4447838)

RBG, please open your eyes beyond the United States.

insert link to the thread where you mournfully bemoan pissing away your money on booze and vintage food instead of traveling and taking nice pictures like I have done

redbreegull 07-05-2018 11:00 PM

seriously how does anyone want negative attention this badly

fuzzyroes 07-05-2018 11:01 PM

lol dude, no need to be insulting.

It's okay to be wrong about things. Lord knows I've been wrong about many things on this particular platform.

fuzzyroes 07-05-2018 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elphenor (Post 4447840)
thanks for the history lesson fuzz

read my posts back to me as your own

I was directing my ranting and raving at RBG, to be clear. I know you know your shit.

redbreegull 07-05-2018 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzyroes (Post 4447844)
I was directing my ranting and raving at RBG, to be clear. I know you know your shit.

I have agreed with everything he has said

fuzzyroes 07-05-2018 11:08 PM

Yes, and you also posted a bunch of other verbal diarrhea

redbreegull 07-05-2018 11:10 PM

I have come to the realization that there really is no difference between evil and pure misguided stupidity

fuzzyroes 07-05-2018 11:11 PM

I should also remind RBG about The Pixies touring around in football stadiums on the Zoo TV tour.

Pixies were obviously a lot more underground than the Smiths were, but they weren't without a TON of positive press coverage and the big push of major label distribution.

redbreegull 07-05-2018 11:13 PM

fuzzy roes you are just purposely missing the point because you're a dumb dick

redbreegull 07-05-2018 11:13 PM

I wish I could give this thread less than one starz

fuzzyroes 07-05-2018 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redbreegull (Post 4447853)
I have come to the realization that there really is no difference between evil and pure misguided stupidity

Hey man, if you dish it out, you gotta be expected to be called out when you're wrong about something.

You don't have to be defensive. Just be happy that you learned something that you weren't aware of before. ;)

redbreegull 07-05-2018 11:24 PM

I've literally never seen you learn from being corrected

ever. not once. no matter how much evidence is supplied.

so you might want to go fuck yourself

teh b0lly!!1 07-05-2018 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redbreegull (Post 4447808)
I don't really believe there is less good music today than during any other era. I don't see any kind of objective drop in musicianship or quality. When it comes to something specific like "rock" or "guitar music" it might be harder to make something that sounds lasting at this point, but I think that is because of the extreme oversaturation of the last 6 decades, not a drop in what musicians are capable of without capitalists cracking the whip at them to make a better selling product

i'm not sure we are disagreeing; we're just not exactly overlapping.

there are amazing musicians out there with great skill and craftsmanship today as well, for sure. i think it's clear that's not what's up for debate here. but, what i'm saying is that they are somehow more esoteric and hard to find now, in an endless pool of free stuff for the average music listener who doesn't have the energy to explore. and on top of that, even though i agree the music business was ugly, abusive and ultra-capitalist, again - i would argue that it pushed artists to put out better finalized work. because the process was so difficult, they had to make sure a thousand times over that the statement they were going to hand in was correct, and accurate.

it's one of those micro-change things that completely changes everything on a larger scale; it's just like having the option of time-correcting a drum hit on the grid in Pro Tools, and not having it. just by virtue of having it, the door was opened for 90% of modern recordings to get 'tidied up', glossy, time/pitch corrected and perfect. when you're in the eye of the storm you think you're only nudging something slightly and improving it, but in reality there's a destructive effect to it when EVERYBODY does it.

it's kind of the same thing with that freedom artists have now; theoretically it should help produce better music, but in practice, it just causes many to become lazy and less accomplished at what they do.

redbreegull 07-05-2018 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 (Post 4447871)
i'm not sure we are disagreeing; we're just not exactly overlapping.

there are amazing musicians out there with great skill and craftsmanship today as well, for sure. i think it's clear that's not what's up for debate here. but, what i'm saying is that they are somehow more esoteric and hard to find now, in an endless pool of free stuff for the average music listener who doesn't have the energy to explore. and on top of that, even though i agree the music business was ugly, abusive and ultra-capitalist, again - i would argue that it pushed artists to put out better finalized work. because the process was so difficult, they had to make sure a thousand times over that their statement is correct and accurate.

it's one of those micro-change things that completely changes everything on a larger scale; it's just like having the option of time-correcting a drum hit on the grid in Pro Tools, and not having it. just by virtue of having it, the door was opened for 90% of modern recordings to get 'tidied up', glossy, time/pitch corrected and perfect. when you're in the eye of the storm you think you're only nudging something slightly and improving it, but in reality there's a destructive effect to it when EVERYBODY does it.

it's kind of the same thing with that freedom artists have now; theoretically it should help produce better music, but in practice, it just causes many to become lazy and less accomplished at what they do.

yeah I don't disagree with a lot of your points at all. my perspective could also be skewed because everyone I know likes music seriously. I do not have any friends who are like casual radio listeners and I never meet people like this.

FoolofaTook 07-05-2018 11:52 PM

if you're lame/lazy enough to listen to the radio or watch tv in 2018 then you deserve shit art

i have spoken

Shallowed 07-06-2018 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzyroes (Post 4447843)
Lord knows I've been wrong about many things on this particular platform.

Care to list a few things? I've almost never seen you acknowledge being wrong at the time.

FlamingGlobes 07-06-2018 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FoolofaTook (Post 4447877)
if you're lame/lazy enough to listen to the radio or watch tv in 2018 then you deserve shit art

i have spoken

You kinda just said in one sentence all that needed to be said in the last two pages.

FoolofaTook 07-06-2018 06:14 AM

yes i am a most wondrous hobbit

FlamingGlobes 07-06-2018 06:17 AM

https://media.giphy.com/media/NmylybxKQznXO/giphy.gif

FlamingGlobes 07-06-2018 06:19 AM

Honestly though, I'm surprised Elph didn't get there first.

wHATcOLOR 07-06-2018 01:14 PM

hashtag whocares

yo soy el mejor 07-06-2018 02:58 PM

hashtag hookers (sounds like who cares)