Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   Pumpkins Archive (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Pillbox London / Channel 4 News Interview (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=185549)

thomas_bland 10-06-2017 04:12 PM

Pillbox London / Channel 4 News Interview

I was at the Pillbox showing last night.

Kicked off with a Q&A. There was a question about how an 'artist does what one does?'... "Do not be like anyone else, there's only one Beck etc..". There was a question about the NWO - ugh - "This isn't the forum. Don't trust the news, do your own research". A couple of questions were about the film, it was his manager's idea (to do one, not the concept) and the actors worked for cheap because there was a limited budget - boo hoo.

Finally he was asked about how he chooses what he's writing for, to which he said he following, "Whether it's my name, my real name or the band... It's all Pumpkins to me."

The film itself is better spread out over the album than the condensed version featured on The Spaniards, Bill has a cameo as the family butler and you can get the gist what happens from the video.

If you don't like the Strawberry style you're not going to like any of it. I particularly liked the narration text throughout - "Attack Jinji" or whatever - reminiscent of that cutscene on Vieuphoria and definitely trademark Bill.

And that was that.

Bill was on the C4 News talking about how great the band was "as weird as Zappa and so successful" and how his Dad was "a drug addict who first inspired his lack of trust of authority". He talked about infowars and the rise of conspiracy theories as a reaction against the "Lies of the Iraq war". And that he's only ever used infowars to "pro,Pte free speech". Overall he sounded odd, but not mad - which is good.

Forgotten Child 10-06-2017 05:01 PM

https://www.channel4.com/news/billy-corgan-on-fake-news

Shallowed 10-06-2017 05:35 PM

Ugh, what a blathering crackpot.

pavementtune 10-06-2017 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Fake-News-Chemtrail Corgan
"This isn't the forum. Don't trust the news, do your own research".

good to see he is still full of shit and on the FAKENEWS-MAGA bandwagon. And I was just about to consider paying for this album, silly me!

Shallowed 10-06-2017 05:58 PM

How can he even reconcile being suspicious of everything, but not being suspicious of his dad telling him to be suspicious of everything?

New Art Rioter 10-06-2017 07:37 PM

Did he play any music? Or just Q&A?

Shadaloo 10-07-2017 01:01 AM

1979 Spaniards and Aeronaut according to setlist.fm, and someone on one of the SP Facebook communities said he did Wound.

thomas_bland 10-07-2017 01:35 AM

The Live performance was a pre-event for Yamaha competition winners only. We could see them quaffing wine whilst we waited in the street.

To be fair to him, he looked proper uncomfortable when he got asked the NWO question and tried to move it on.

On the news the thing with his Dad was excused by the fact her was 5 years old.

amoergosum 10-07-2017 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thomas_bland (Post 4388293)
To be fair to him, he looked proper uncomfortable when he got asked the NWO question and tried to move it on.

By the way...the interviewer is an idiot:

teh b0lly!!1 10-07-2017 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shallowed (Post 4388188)
How can he even reconcile being suspicious of everything, but not being suspicious of his dad telling him to be suspicious of everything?

it's very hard for people to profoundly reject notions that have been presented as facts to them since a young age

teh b0lly!!1 10-07-2017 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amoergosum (Post 4388295)
By the way...the interviewer is an idiot:

you're the man. i noticed this too.

i want to take this fucking guy and feed him his eyes

teh b0lly!!1 10-07-2017 03:48 AM

on a side note, billiam genuinely seems more at peace and healthier and that makes me happy

teh b0lly!!1 10-07-2017 03:54 AM

correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't this the first time billy flat out admits that his father was a drug dealer?

in the past he only revealed that his father was a drug addict who hung out with bad company, but this is new

New Art Rioter 10-07-2017 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thomas_bland (Post 4388293)
The Live performance was a pre-event for Yamaha competition winners only. We could see them quaffing wine whilst we waited in the street.

On the news the thing with his Dad was excused by the fact her was 5 years old.

Must be out the loop, I didn't hear about that competition at all! Losing my touch...

Feel less bad about not making the journey now if the screening just included a Q&A.

thomas_bland 10-07-2017 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New Art Rioter (Post 4388306)
Must be out the loop, I didn't hear about that competition at all! Losing my touch...

Feel less bad about not making the journey now if the screening just included a Q&A.

Me too, totally missed the competition. Did you have a ticket then? If so that would account for the one empty seat in the screening.

Also Bill's coat was worth seeing in person.

New Art Rioter 10-07-2017 06:52 AM

No I didn't, I had a friend's wedding party to go to so didn't grab a ticket. How many layers was he wearing? I'm guessing several!

thomas_bland 10-07-2017 12:23 PM

Shirt and gigantic coat with purple lining.

amoergosum 10-07-2017 12:25 PM

"We're gathered in a dark vaulted room far below London's Strand for a special acoustic solo performance by WPC, or William Patrick Corgan, or most commonly, Billy Corgan from the Smashing Pumpkins. Corgan is in town to promote a short silent film, Pillbox, which he directed alongside Linda Strawberry and scored with tracks from his new Rick Rubin-produced solo album, Ogilala which is out on 13 October."

http://www.gigwise.com/news/110822/b...tor=MusicREDEF

slunken 10-07-2017 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pavementtune (Post 4388182)
good to see he is still full of shit and on the FAKENEWS-MAGA bandwagon. And I was just about to consider paying for this album, silly me!

I didn't hear this quote in the interview?

pavementtune 10-07-2017 01:38 PM

because it was during Q&A slunks.
Quote:

Originally Posted by thomas_bland (Post 4388163)
I was at the Pillbox showing last night.

Kicked off with a Q&A.. There was a question about the NWO - ugh -

tbh I don't give a shit either way, not enough to listen to this channel 4 interview, he literally hasn't had anything worthwhile to say for a decade.

slunken 10-07-2017 01:40 PM

pretty much

Shallowed 10-07-2017 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pavementtune (Post 4388406)
he literally hasn't had anything worthwhile to say for a decade.

Watching If All Goes Wrong might make you want to bump that number up a bit.

FoolofaTook 10-07-2017 05:57 PM

It also might make you hang yourself.

Shallowed 10-07-2017 06:01 PM

Better late than never

pavementtune 10-07-2017 06:06 PM

Never watched If All Goes Wrong. Are you saying I should keep it that way until I feel like hanging myself? Okay, no problem.

wounded 10-08-2017 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pavementtune (Post 4388456)
Never watched If All Goes Wrong. Are you saying I should keep it that way until I feel like hanging myself? Okay, no problem.

it's just.....bizarre. I really don't know how to describe it.

Those Asheville shows were fun though.

amoergosum 10-08-2017 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wounded (Post 4388602)
it's just.....bizarre. I really don't know how to describe it.

https://i.imgur.com/iqcSFXw.gif

New Art Rioter 10-08-2017 10:30 AM

The Jeff bit where he smashes a guitar is hilarious, without a doubt planned by Corgan

Anyway! Hope he comes back to the UK soon, it's been a while now since he's played properly here

amoergosum 10-08-2017 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New Art Rioter (Post 4388640)
The Jeff bit where he smashes a guitar is hilarious, without a doubt planned by Corgan

Billy: "We were once the Smashing Pumpkins. I don't know what we are now."

Jeff's reaction:

https://i.imgur.com/ToyNsmU.gif

Funbags 10-08-2017 12:21 PM

Hello. Is it me ur looking 4?