Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   General Chat Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Love, Death + Robots (Netflix) (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=187585)

wHATcOLOR 11-24-2019 10:53 PM

Love, Death + Robots (Netflix)

i recently watched this and loved it. pretty intense, not for the faint of heart.

"Terrifying creatures, wicked surprises and dark comedy converge in this NSFW anthology of animated stories presented by Tim Miller and David Fincher."

who here has watched it?

if you've watched it, which ones did you enjoy most?

for me it was:

Zima Blue
Sonnie's Edge
Beyond The Aquila Rift
Good Hunting
Shape Shifters
Helping Hand
Lucky 13
The Secret War

smashingjj 11-25-2019 05:50 AM

saw it after a friend recommended it. wasn't too impressed tbh

wHATcOLOR 11-26-2019 02:41 AM

i recognize that you are a difficult man to impress, mr jj.

that said, did you enjoy any of the stories in the series?

topleybird 11-26-2019 10:28 AM

I tried one at random — The Witness, it looks like — and didn't think it was too interesting

Looks like that didn't make wHAT's list

If you had a top choice to watch, or maybe two, what would they be?

wHATcOLOR 11-26-2019 03:26 PM

yes, for me the witness seemed to be mostly about “let’s find a way to put a chase and lot of nudity in here and have a ‘surprise’ at the end’ without really trying to do anything beyond that

top for me, i’d say zima blue for something chilled out that’s not trying too hard. that one stuck with me. for something visually compelling with some action/violence and gore, maybe sophie’s edge. and maybe lucky 13 for a straight up the middle kinda thing

those in my list were all on the serious side. there were more light-hearted and silly ones like When the Yogurt Took Over and Alternate Histories that were pretty fun

good hunting is an animation of a short story from Ken Liu, who is the translator for three body problem. not his strongest work but still kinda cool i guess

is there a name for the phenomenon where you genuinely enjoy something a lot on your own, but when you attempt to share it with others, and therefore become more analytical and critical, your enjoyment decreases? i get that with music a lot, and i’m having it happen here now too

they’re all short stories from like 7-20 mins long, they’re not life changing. but it was a really unexpected thing to stumble upon in netflix and i really enjoyed it overall, even though when picking it apart there are plenty of obvious flaws

topleybird 11-27-2019 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wHATcOLOR (Post 4522619)
is there a name for the phenomenon where you genuinely enjoy something a lot on your own, but when you attempt to share it with others, and therefore become more analytical and critical, your enjoyment decreases?

I'm sure the Germans have a nice long word for it, but at any rate I know what you mean

Thanks — I'll give Zima Blue and probably Sophie's Edge a try

topleybird 12-02-2019 09:50 AM

Okay, I watched Zima Blue and Sophie's Edge, and I thought both were miles better than the one I'd watched before — if I'd started with one of these, I might've tried more

I noticed both were adaptations of short stories by established sci fi authors, and I think the one I'd seen was just made up by the animation studio, so I'm sure that helped

wHATcOLOR 12-02-2019 10:57 PM

oh cool! i was wondering. i'm glad you enjoyed them!

:rockon: