Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Best versions of Mary Star of the Sea? (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=188416)

Brisk 01-27-2021 10:59 AM

Best versions of Mary Star of the Sea?

Spaceland 02?
https://archive.org/details/zwan2002...12-06d2t02.shn

Reyngel 01-27-2021 02:47 PM

When they were here in Seattle, he got super agitated and emo during the show, but it translated into what I still feel was the best MSOTS from that era. During the soloing and breakdown at the end of the song, he laid down on his back and played half of it staring up at the ceiling. Sounded pretty rad... was kind of a brutal, emotional version.

FoolofaTook 01-27-2021 02:59 PM

2003-4-26 at the Paramount? Bollzcorg played a red flying v?

I was there. There was no "lying down playing staring at the ceiling" shit.

You are a LIAR Regnyel! A LIAR, I say!!

FoolofaTook 01-27-2021 02:59 PM

"During the soloing"

THE WHOLE FUCKING SONG IS A SOLOING YOU IMBECILE SWINE!!!!!!!1

Brisk 01-27-2021 04:01 PM

One of the best things this guy ever did, insane song.

FoolofaTook 01-27-2021 04:07 PM

the best part isn't on the album tho. there's this outro that they played live when I saw them in seattle (b0lly was STANDING UP STRAIGHT THE WHOLE TIME).

it goes like

DUH DUH DUH DUUUHM
DUH DUH DUH DUUUHM
DUH DUH DUH DUUUHM DUUUHM

etc.

FoolofaTook 01-27-2021 04:08 PM

but yeah mstos song >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> mstos album

DiscoJon 01-27-2021 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reyngel (Post 4573313)
When they were here in Seattle, he got super agitated and emo during the show, but it translated into what I still feel was the best MSOTS from that era. During the soloing and breakdown at the end of the song, he laid down on his back and played half of it staring up at the ceiling. Sounded pretty rad... was kind of a brutal, emotional version.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FoolofaTook (Post 4573314)

Yup, I was there too. Front row against the barrier, left hand side. He didn't lay down on the ground. Don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

Reyngel 01-27-2021 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FoolofaTook (Post 4573314)

Uh yeah there was!

SeaPumpkinsFan 01-28-2021 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reyngel (Post 4573313)

I was at this show in Seattle and don't remember that at all. They opened that show with Mary Star of the Sea. It was like a 10-11 minute guitar jam right from the get go. There wasn't anyone lying on the stage.

DiscoJon 01-28-2021 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeaPumpkinsFan (Post 4573335)
I was at this show in Seattle and don't remember that at all. They opened that show with Mary Star of the Sea. It was like a 10-11 minute guitar jam right from the get go. There wasn't anyone lying on the stage.

So now Reyngel's got three people including myself claiming that he's wrong. Seems about right.

Funbags 01-28-2021 05:10 AM

I was at Seattle, standing by the desk. Somebody was DEFINITELY laying down. Pajo, perhaps? :eek:

Reyngel 01-28-2021 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiscoJon (Post 4573339)
So now Reyngel's got three people including myself claiming that he's wrong. Seems about right.

Seems about right? I don’t have any history for making up things.

Anyway, I don’t care enough to argue about it, so if you’re saying my memory is wrong about it, cool.

I have a full recording of the show—someone from here gave it to me after getting my mailing address after taking a photo of me with Matt and Paz after the show. Listening back to MSOTS 18 years later, it still sounds pretty good... a lot more dark and spacey than some of the other ones I’ve heard from that era. And it’s still cringe to hear Billy be so pissy with the Seattle crowd.

slunken 01-28-2021 11:47 PM

:loaded:

slunken 01-28-2021 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brisk (Post 4573307)

thank you for this link. each time i hear this song it is an uplifting breath of fresh air.

run2pee 01-28-2021 11:54 PM

Really enjoy the part b/w jesus and starrymar

Lil guitar peggios and noodlens

slunken 01-28-2021 11:57 PM

aside from this, when they would do jesus i into mary *chefs kiss*

slunken 01-28-2021 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Run To Me (Post 4573389)
Really enjoy the part b/w jesus and starrymar

Lil guitar peggios and noodlens

YES

the momentum

run2pee 01-29-2021 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slunken (Post 4573393)
YES

the momentum

Pure bliss. Reminds of me new poetry noodlin vs arpeggio vs momentum vs crescendo upon crescendo.

Zwan was genius af some times

Ram27 01-29-2021 01:26 AM

i LOVE in mary star, the quiet intro, when they play that guitar riff like 3 times or whatever, then a slight variation on it the 4th time, then this tasty drum part starts, and it's...symphonic

Ram27 01-29-2021 01:26 AM

spaceland is the best venue name

run2pee 01-29-2021 01:38 AM

Yeah, if there's ever a land that i wanna go to or even like call my own it's gonna be the land named space

Cause then u can like spread out and float on and relax and fade away hay hay

Ram27 01-29-2021 01:41 AM

are you aware of what's coming down

are you aware i couldn't stay

Ram27 01-29-2021 01:47 AM

oh man baby let's rock from that show is amazing as well. they just launch into the bridge...JC does that Quiet snare fill --> *I DREAM ABOUT U EVHREHY NIGHTT*

run2pee 01-29-2021 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ram27 (Post 4573438)
are you aware of what's coming down

are you aware i couldn't stay

Hmmm. Well, maybe i could see it coming but like , maybe if we just sat down and talked about what’s bothering u or why u feel the need to fight like a whale waiting to breach????

Ram27 01-29-2021 01:48 AM

the whale wants to be free

we all want to be free

free to be you

free to be me

free to be free

DiscoJon 01-30-2021 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reyngel (Post 4573350)
Seems about right? I don’t have any history for making up things.

Anyway, I don’t care enough to argue about it, so if you’re saying my memory is wrong about it, cool.

I have a full recording of the show—someone from here gave it to me after getting my mailing address after taking a photo of me with Matt and Paz after the show. Listening back to MSOTS 18 years later, it still sounds pretty good... a lot more dark and spacey than some of the other ones I’ve heard from that era. And it’s still cringe to hear Billy be so pissy with the Seattle crowd.

You've got a copy of that show? Man, upload that to archive.org. I'm pretty sure it's not on there. I'd love to hear it again.

Funbags 01-31-2021 07:40 AM

The final few televised European festival date have the best performances of MSOTS imho. The band was flawless towards the end.

The Spaceland boot is good for hearing Pajo's parts. I don't think I've ever heard him so clearly.

Morlock 02-03-2021 09:54 AM

Just started watching the Pinkpop Festival video. It's insane that this is supposed to be a band close to breaking up. They are so good.

So why did they break up again? Was this really about who was fucking who? Or was Billy impatient about the band not being as successful as anticipated? It did okay enough, and certainly better than a lot of Billy's music that followed. They could have turned this around. There were so many good songs waiting to be published.

themadcaplaughs 02-03-2021 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morlock (Post 4573810)

Or was Billy impatient about the band not being as successful as anticipated?

:banging::banging::banging:

This and the fact that the Matt Sweeney and David Pajo stopped feeling any loyalty to the band once Billy's mood switched. The whole "they were immoral" thing was just another after-the-fact justification ending the band after spending two years publicly building up how amazing they were and how they were better than the original run of the Smashing Pumpkins; similar to how he claimed Nicole and Mike weren't "into" Smashing Pumpkins enough.