Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What happens if Jimmy and Melvoin clean up in 1996 and the ODs never happen? (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=187783)

Squish Squash 03-24-2020 05:23 PM

What happens if Jimmy and Melvoin clean up in 1996 and the ODs never happen?
 
What would the band have looked like musically? How much more successful would the band have been? Would the 4 Pumpkins still be together? Would D’Arcy not have suffered from severe drug abuse and mental problems? Would Billy still be tolerable at times?

Hey! 03-24-2020 05:32 PM

Hey! Shut up, asshole!

Squish Squash 03-24-2020 05:48 PM

You’re a bad sidekick.

ilikeplanets 03-24-2020 07:57 PM

I'm blaming the quarantine for this thread

Squish Squash 03-24-2020 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikeplanets (Post 4534601)
I'm blaming the quarantine for this thread

I’m blaming the quarantine for this post.

GreenDogGlynis 03-24-2020 08:31 PM

Its always been hard for me to gauge the long term impact the tragedy had on the band. One thing I've never quite understood is just how things started to fall apart after the Mellon Collie era. At least it seemed like the band was in a good spot, and everyone was getting along, but then somehow things went to crap pretty quickly after that. If the ods never happened its possible the band never would have broken up, and we would have gotten something much different than Adore. Obviously, its very hard to say.

ilikeplanets 03-24-2020 08:51 PM

I don't think Jimmy's drug problems were the only cause of dissention among them. It just accelerated the inevitable. I do wish for another album or two of the original caliber.

Shallowed 03-24-2020 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squish Squash (Post 4534605)
I’m blaming the quarantine for this post.

It wouldn't exist if you didn't post this thread, so you have no-one but yourself to blame.

Joey Goldberg 03-24-2020 10:19 PM

but if we're blaming quarantine for the thread, ain't it all the same?

Ram27 03-24-2020 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squish Squash (Post 4534595)
You’re a bad sidekick.

you're a bad comic foil

___________

I like this thread. Love this sort of sad maladaptive daydreaming

I mean....kinda mostly the same? I know they were talking about going back to more simple acoustic stuff after the tour anyway - they said it got so big, what more can you do?

I think the tour would've continued, we'd get some more great proshot footage, band would be playing stuff even faster, silverfuck would get longer, they'd do the nights at MSG and finish the tour and take a break for a while

essentially the same but less sad. corgan's mom still would've died, adore would be relatively similar but maybe with more tasteful percussion

arising tour would've been more local, and less exciting, just them trying out stuff live around chicago/milwaukee. d'arcy probably would've quit still, and the rest of machina/breakup plays out the same

Joey Goldberg 03-24-2020 11:25 PM

that's one hell of a signature

Shallowed 03-25-2020 01:42 AM

I think their music wouldn't have been too different, but maybe with more emphasis on the "cyber-rock" style that they were already starting to explore on MCIS.

Skradgee 03-25-2020 02:32 AM

WHY do
THEY CALL it
TAKING a DUMP,
instead of LEAVING A DUMP?

I MEAN you’re NOT actually TAKING IT anywhere.

AveryLoren 03-25-2020 03:55 AM

I think about this very scenario a lot actually. The sacking of Jim broke the dynamic within the group and fractured their collective.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shallowed (Post 4534642)
more emphasis on the "cyber-rock" style that they were already starting to explore on MCIS.

If they had stayed together and perused this style I think they would have continued to be a massive success. I think Billy would have been a sort of poster boy for the Science fiction infused Nu Metal that started to pop up around late 98. Songs like Eye and The End is the Beginning is the End are my absolute favorite Pumpkins tracks. I feel those two tracks are the only time he nailed the electronica meets big guitars style of sound. Bands like Powerman 5000 and Orgy had massive records around 98/99 that perfected that cyber-rock sound.

FoolofaTook 03-25-2020 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey Goldberg (Post 4534638)
that's one hell of a signature

^^^

FlamingGlobes 03-25-2020 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skradgee (Post 4534645)
WHY do
THEY CALL it
TAKING a DUMP,
instead of LEAVING A DUMP?

I MEAN you’re NOT actually TAKING IT anywhere.

Speak for yourself.

topleybird 03-25-2020 09:05 AM








Joey Goldberg 03-25-2020 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skradgee (Post 4534645)
WHY do
THEY CALL it
TAKING a DUMP,
instead of LEAVING A DUMP?

I MEAN you’re NOT actually TAKING IT anywhere.


Squish Squash 03-25-2020 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ram27 (Post 4534635)
you're a bad comic foil

___________

I like this thread. Love this sort of sad maladaptive daydreaming

I mean....kinda mostly the same? I know they were talking about going back to more simple acoustic stuff after the tour anyway - they said it got so big, what more can you do?

I think the tour would've continued, we'd get some more great proshot footage, band would be playing stuff even faster, silverfuck would get longer, they'd do the nights at MSG and finish the tour and take a break for a while

essentially the same but less sad. corgan's mom still would've died, adore would be relatively similar but maybe with more tasteful percussion

arising tour would've been more local, and less exciting, just them trying out stuff live around chicago/milwaukee. d'arcy probably would've quit still, and the rest of machina/breakup plays out the same

I feel like D’Arcy wouldn’t have gone off the rails like she did. The OD seemed to really trigger her. She was fond of Melvoin and it really seemed to start her downward spiral.

Forgotten Child 03-26-2020 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squish Squash (Post 4534746)
I feel like D’Arcy wouldn’t have gone off the rails like she did. The OD seemed to really trigger her. She was fond of Melvoin and it really seemed to start her downward spiral.

Which overdose? Jimmy overdosed a few times before the tragic one. She had her own problems. Everybody had.

Jimmy's overdose wasn't a cause for any problems, it was what came from them. .

Woody 03-26-2020 08:47 AM

Based on what we know, they would have still tried electronica and goth metal. They would’ve put out a bad album either way.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Smashing Pumpkins, Alternative Music
& General Discussion Message Board and Forums
www.netphoria.org - Copyright © 1998-2019