Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   General Chat Archive (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Vp picks used to prevent assassination attempts (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=184518)

Catherine Wheel 02-10-2017 03:13 AM

Vp picks used to prevent assassination attempts

So as usual I'm reading the forums at aintitcoolnews. And they never stay on topic anymore and tend to get political. And someone says that on another forum someone told him half joking that the more recent picks for Vice President are all apart of a plan to avoid assassination attempts on the president. So essentially it's "So You hate this guy who is president? You think he's a douchebag? Well this vp is what you have to look forward to if the president gets killed."

Disco King 02-10-2017 04:18 AM

Presidential nominees typically pick running mates from a state that a nominee's support is weaker in, in order to help fortify one of their vulnerabilities.

From what I've read, support in those states after a running-mate pick doesn't tend to go up a whole lot, but whatever helps, I guess.

I don't think most presidential assassination attempts, at least in this part of the world, are rationally-motivated, with the perpetrator actually taking into account the line of succession (then again, it's not like we have the largest sample size to say either way).

TuralyonW3 02-10-2017 09:31 AM

Quit reading the forums at aintitcoolnews. Just stick to the years best lists and scoops and stuff

TuralyonW3 02-10-2017 09:35 AM

I bet this is what the conservative trolls on this board look like

http://www.romm.org/conv05/conv063005_13a.jpg

Cool As Ice Cream 02-10-2017 10:19 AM

return of kings

buzzard 02-10-2017 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disco King (Post 4318496)
I don't think most presidential assassination attempts, at least in this part of the world, are rationally-motivated, with the perpetrator actually taking into account the line of succession (then again, it's not like we have the largest sample size to say either way).

I'm also not entirely convinced that thinking of the president as a douchebag would come to serve as any would-be assassin's raison d'être.

fuzzyroes 02-10-2017 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poots (Post 4318552)
return of trots

ROFL ohhh man, you beat me to it :rofl:

redbreegull 02-11-2017 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disco King (Post 4318496)
Presidential nominees typically pick running mates from a state that a nominee's support is weaker in, in order to help fortify one of their vulnerabilities.

From what I've read, support in those states after a running-mate pick doesn't tend to go up a whole lot, but whatever helps, I guess.

this is the traditional wisdom but Trump picked Pence to get a specific voting bloc on board. HRC and Obama both seemingly picked guys who were just white bread nothings with no controversy surrounding them. And Bush was picked by Cheney haha

but seriously VP is a very interesting office with a very interesting history because their job can be whatever the pres decides it is. they have very few innate duties

redbreegull 02-11-2017 12:31 AM

and we used to have split party tickets in this country omg

Cool As Ice Cream 02-15-2017 08:44 AM

Hello, my name is Kimono Sharter and I have invented a theory!

FoolofaTook 02-16-2017 12:17 PM

I don't get it. I know what a kimono is. Same for sharts and sharting.

But Kimono Sharter? Totes lost.

MyOneAndOnly 02-16-2017 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redbreegull (Post 4318909)
and we used to have split party tickets in this country omg

FTR that was generations ago. And until the 70s the VP was barely involved in decision making. For most of our history VPs were chosen specifically to do no harm and stay out of the way.

redbreegull 02-16-2017 07:55 PM

John Adams famously said the vice presidency is the most useless office ever conceived of

MyOneAndOnly 02-16-2017 08:54 PM

was true for sure. but since Carter they've been relied on VPs do things. Smokin' Joe Biden was chosen to help Obama with his lack of legislative experience. Cheney was president behind curtain. Gore was part of Clinton's inner circle. Dan Quayle was a bridge to the religious nuts who didn't like papa Bush.

being in president is a big job and modern executives need the veep to be a worker