Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   General Chat Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Rate the last movie you watched (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=182317)

LaBelle 08-14-2018 09:49 AM

I still get nightmares because of the baby scene in eraserhead

FoolofaTook 08-14-2018 09:50 AM

yeah that whole film is a nightmare

teh b0lly!!1 08-14-2018 11:16 AM

it's probably the epitome of lynch's work, imho

FoolofaTook 08-14-2018 11:25 AM

have you seen the elephant man? i dare anyone to watch that w/o weeping copiously.

LaBelle 08-14-2018 12:13 PM

Blue Velvet is also something.

FoolofaTook 08-14-2018 01:02 PM

yeah blue velvet is his best imho

LaBelle 08-15-2018 08:47 AM

artvase 08-15-2018 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FoolofaTook (Post 4457286)
yeah blue velvet is his best imho

I think Mulholland Drive is his high point but Blue Velvet is my personal favorite. So many great Dennis Hopper moments

LaBelle 08-16-2018 09:39 AM

Upgrade - 3/5
I really liked the concept in general and wish they did more than just a very straight forward revenge action film.
Also, I Predicted the twist pretty early on in the movie.

Cool As Ice Cream 08-16-2018 10:20 AM

pauline & paulette: good stuff. fun to watch again.

welp: ok. one of those movies where they're in a forest and then everyone dies.

d'ardennen: ok-ish. not all that great, but i don't regret watching it. story about two brothers where one of them ends up going to jail for a crime they both had a part in, and the other one starts seeing his brother's girlfriend... and then the brother is released from jail. bit of crazies, bit of violence, bit of murder. could have been better.

de rouille et d'os: very good. father and little boy move to the south of france, to live with the aunt. father is still a little child, basically, but it makes for a beautiful movie. someone's legs are lost because of orca.

de president: shite dutch comedy, where an illegal refugee somehow becomes the president of the netherlands. i can't believe i watched the whole thing.

iedereen beroemd!: another comedy. entertaining enough, but not very good. plot doesn't make a lot of sense.

LaBelle 08-18-2018 09:59 AM

Axolotl Overkill - 4/5
I have no idea what I just watched, this movieis weird af. But at the same time really magnetic and entertaining throughout. The Penguin scene was the fuccn best.

soniclovenoize 08-18-2018 03:16 PM

Ready Player One - B+
Leary of any film my kids saw first and told me I had to see it, I reluctantly gave into Steven Spielberg's latest CGI vomitorium. It only took about 45 minutes to get over my own pretenses to enjoy the ride of a rather well-made Tron-meets-It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World. A lot has already been said of the hundreds of 80s pop culture references that creates the fabric of the film, but what is interesting to me is the prediction that 2040 nerd culture will fetishise the 80s and 90s; people do that now with 60s and 70s, so why not? But anyways, if you strip all the dumb references away (many self-serving for Spielberg himself), the movie still stands on it's own. Not bad.

Inglourious Basterds - B-
Standard Quentin Tarantino period piece that predictably genre-benders -- in this case a Spaghetti Western that takes place in WWII. The only thing really new for Tarantino here is a goofy Brad Pitt who straddles charming and obnoxious. The rest is predictable for him: chapter subdivisions; time jumps and erratic cuts; anachronistic soundtrack; villains immensely more interesting and developed than heroes; all the interesting characters are killed halfway through the film anyways. And of course, the one thing that has bothered me since it was pointed out to me 20 years ago-- every fucking character speaks as if they were Quentin Tarantino himself. Is this vanity? Or does he not realize he's doing this? Regardless, high marks for literally scalping Nazis; not too high of marks for his typical non-ending that, this time around, is rather infuriating.

Shallowed 08-18-2018 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaBelle (Post 4458403)
Axolotl Overkill - 4/5
I have no idea what I just watched, this movieis weird af. But at the same time really magnetic and entertaining throughout. The Penguin scene was the fuccn best.

My interest is piqued from the title alone.

reprise85 08-19-2018 12:15 AM

not a movie but watch season 6 of orange is the new black. a truly good season, definitely in the top 50% of seasons. been so long between them i dont remember which is which but it was a good watch. 7.5/10

toase 08-21-2018 09:21 PM

magic mike xxl i so amazing

and this is great, i need more drunk education in my life

FoolofaTook 08-21-2018 09:38 PM

OKJA - From the director of The Host and Snowpiercer. This movies pwns. Have to see to believe.

ChristHimself! 08-22-2018 03:03 AM

hereditary b+

i enjoyed this and might rank it higher with time, but i had a couple issues with it on first viewing. i love that it's a hollywood horror that relies on atmosphere rather than a cgi monster running around. not too many jumpscares. vibe reminded me of zulawski's possession, but with shades of the (original) wicker man.

smashingjj 08-22-2018 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaBelle (Post 4458403)
Axolotl Overkill - 4/5

I need to see this

Quote:

Originally Posted by FoolofaTook (Post 4459109)
OKJA - From the director of The Host and Snowpiercer. This movies pwns. Have to see to believe.

I need to see this
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChristHimself! (Post 4459161)
hereditary b+

i enjoyed this and might rank it higher with time, but i had a couple issues with it on first viewing. i love that it's a hollywood horror that relies on atmosphere rather than a cgi monster running around. not too many jumpscares. vibe reminded me of zulawski's possession, but with shades of the (original) wicker man.

I need to see this

obscured01 08-25-2018 09:40 PM

Tusks - 2.5/5 Crazy dude turns Justin Long into a walrus named Mr. Tusks. It was pretty screwed up. Ending sucked.

Okja - 5/5 Genetically created "super pigs" that were distributed to various farmers around the world to raise. Girl raises this super pig and then they take it back - she fights to get Okja back leaving S.Korea to America. Really good all the way through. Highly Recommend.

FoolofaTook 08-26-2018 06:32 AM

yeah everyone should watch okja. and the breadwinner.

teh b0lly!!1 08-26-2018 07:47 AM

you're father is a breadwinner.

*eagerly awaits frantic laughter*

teh b0lly!!1 08-26-2018 07:48 AM

oh great now this post opened a new page. i just can't catch a fuckin break

FoolofaTook 08-26-2018 09:09 AM

not for me. i'm still on page 150.

vixnix 08-26-2018 09:30 AM

A Quiet Place - this was some real stupid shit, I mean full retard plot. But mixed with some great acting and emotional truth about families and familial attachment, and communication and desperation. I’m gonna say a B-, for the things Krasinksi did right. If the story had been anything other than a pile of half baked undigested turds, this could have been really interesting. But I spent half the movie just going “Wait, what?” and that ruins anything for me.

Plus, the shit written on the whiteboard as an exposition device I mean, this is not a procedural crime show here, don’t bring that shit into monster movies. Tried and true device in this setting is crazy nerd consulting an ancient tome. If you’re gonna give us some incredible and barely conceived villain, you at least have to follow the trope enough to make it satisfying in other ways. I want my crazy nerd talking excitedly and revealing key information, and I want them now.

I’m not sure if he meant for the whiteboard to be a joke, or not. If not, this guy needs help with the next film. Hopefully there’s another Krasinksi brother who balance John out, because I feel like he’s halfway there. But for now, as a horror fan, I say a B-.

Cool As Ice Cream 08-26-2018 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FoolofaTook (Post 4460021)
not for me. i'm still on page 150.

this is page 113, dickhead.

FoolofaTook 08-26-2018 11:16 AM

what is even real

vixnix 08-26-2018 07:44 PM

Hereditary B+

Was really creeped out by this, though it sort of unravelled a bit by the end. I wish the plot had been a little more intentional. But mixing the terror of grief with the creepiness of haunting was really effective I thought.

FoolofaTook 08-26-2018 07:58 PM

yeah i just watched that the other day and it creeped me out when the mom was hovering up by the ceiling near the end.

teh b0lly!!1 08-26-2018 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vixnix (Post 4460104)
Hereditary B+

Was really creeped out by this, though it sort of unravelled a bit by the end. I wish the plot had been a little more intentional. But mixing the terror of grief with the creepiness of haunting was really effective I thought.

watched this last night too.
some exceptional moments in there. but really i wish the ending wasn't so full of shit.

yo soy el mejor 08-26-2018 08:35 PM

blackklansman

5/5

got real real there at the end