Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   Music News and Discussion (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   track of the day (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=181009)

Mals Marola 03-08-2015 11:05 PM

i'm havin something of a "revisitation" of them due to coombes's new solo album comin out, basically

though i'm pretty sure i was doin it anyway beforehand. for as long as i've liked them i've never really gone for the b-sides or anything, but all the albums up until at least diamond hoo ha man are greeat (that one could be great itself i just never really gave it much of a chance)

pavementtune 03-11-2015 10:00 AM

there are some Placebo haters here, right - what is it that makes them such a target?

this is a great song, why do I get called a "deaf cunt" for playing it - I don't understaaaand

LaBelle 03-11-2015 10:05 AM

The problem with Placebo, is that it has all the hallmarks of music.
It has even the same psychological effects.
But it's not actual music.

pavementtune 03-11-2015 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaBelle (Post 4165617)
But it's not actual music.

you just set yourself up for a bunch of Baby Metal jokes!

LaBelle 03-11-2015 10:18 AM

It's not music it's a placebo...

Ok, that joke didn't play.
Bring on the Babymetal hate. I can take it

pavementtune 03-11-2015 10:22 AM

nah, instead of hating on stuff I just don't care for, I'm going to enjoy being a deaf cunt and listen to my work anthem

cos I can see in the dark

LaBelle 03-11-2015 10:24 AM

my post was a dumb joke, I actually don't mind Placebo at all.

pavementtune 03-11-2015 10:26 AM

I really want to understand, though. not that it will make me like Placebo any less, I just don't understand why they are up there in the hate league of Limb Biscuits and Coldplay and stuff like that. at least here they are, I never heard so much "fuck Placebo" comments outside the US.

The exploding boy 03-11-2015 01:32 PM

I think they started going around in circles after about 4 records. The main thing i mind now is some of the lyrics. But with lyrics it all depends on the personal experiences of the listener. Still i feel he has some pretty weak cringy lines here and there. But i suppose i could say that of most stuff i listen to. And that's possibly more true on the earlier records.

As far as alt rock riffs go i think Molko is a very underrated guitar player. Not on a technical level, i just mean there's some real catchy shit in there. Although i learned later that Olsdal might be responsible for quite a few of them too.

Cool As Ice Cream 03-11-2015 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The exploding boy (Post 4165649)
I think they started going around in circles after about 4 records.

after about 1-2 records.

they're completely uninteresting now. i will never listen to anything past their first album ever again.

The exploding boy 03-11-2015 04:32 PM

Probably after 2 yeah but lyrically it got a bit better and they still could come up with good songs 4 records in even if they repeated themselves a lot already. Beyond that is when they got real stale to me.

Mals Marola 03-11-2015 04:56 PM

oh wow i was listening to the s/t reissue 10th anniversary thing today, thought i had mentioned them earlier or whatever after seein pavement's latest post

pretty great band for a while, totally disagree about "running in circles past album 2"
black market music had some self-parody but how can anyone say sleeping with ghost is a repeat of either of those first 2? english summer rain, special needs, that fucking gorgeous title track - don't think any of that was present on s/t or WYIN

i actually like a good portion of meds despite pretty much hating it on first listen (read: hating the single & being a skeptical high-schooler for the whole album first-time through)

slackabitch tho

The exploding boy 03-11-2015 05:11 PM

nancy boy is pretty much my least favorite song on the s/t. those lyrics... too much songs about sex and drugs on the early stuff. and not really well written...

My favorite off the debut is probably still::

I really don't like the drum sound on the first record though. That kind of clear punchy snare (if i was a drummer i'd probably know the proper term) Good thing they didn't get along with the drummer and sacked him (his drumming was fine otherwise though)

Mals Marola 03-11-2015 11:49 PM

everything about the drums on that album is awesome, the fuck is wrong with you

but yeah nancy boy can suck a dick. hang on to your id, teenage angst & i know are my favorites from that one

LaBelle 03-11-2015 11:52 PM

The exploding boy 03-12-2015 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mals Marola (Post 4165857)
everything about the drums on that album is awesome, the fuck is wrong with you

but yeah nancy boy can suck a dick. hang on to your id, teenage angst & i know are my favorites from that one

wth is wrong with you. You just named my other least favorites. Well except teenage angst. I don't like nancy boy, hang on. i know and lady of the flowers much at all. the rest of the record is all good. I forgot about Bionic. Maybe on par with come home even though its more an instrumental almost since the lyrics are pretty limited. Speaking of instrumental, the hidden track is very good.

Mals Marola 03-12-2015 02:02 AM

you don't like any of the soft songs, basically

LaBelle 03-12-2015 11:21 AM

You guys are making me want to get into placebo

The exploding boy 03-12-2015 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mals Marola (Post 4165928)
you don't like any of the soft songs, basically

Not on that record i guess no. Otherwise they have a lot i like on the other ones. Like Summer's gone, Narcoleptic or Passive Agressive. though i guess the latter hs some heavier moments. One of my favorite of all theirs though.

LaBelle 03-12-2015 02:48 PM

Someone recommended I listened to the Blues Pills recently:

I kinda like it

Mals Marola 03-12-2015 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The exploding boy (Post 4166202)
Not on that record i guess no. Otherwise they have a lot i like on the other ones. Like Summer's gone, Narcoleptic or Passive Agressive. though i guess the latter hs some heavier moments. One of my favorite of all theirs though.

summer's gone is great

the appeal of the soft songs on s/t are that they're not really entirely "acoustic soft" or whatever they're just pretty whimsical and have all that intricate drumming type business on the hi-hats & snare particularly. an enjoyable listen even if yer just looking at the band's interplay alone, kinda like Whir or something from The Mighty SP

Mals Marola 03-12-2015 08:57 PM

i'm always left hummin this one after i hear it's home album

one of the best ones from it imo

Mals Marola 03-12-2015 08:59 PM

ouch, triple post

ButtHash 03-12-2015 11:37 PM

This song is the craziest sounding thing. The vocals on the chorus! Good stoned. And I love that they're just giving it up for their idols haha

LaBelle 03-13-2015 10:58 AM

Cool riff, dumb lyrics.

ilikeplanets 03-13-2015 11:06 AM

fucking aztec litany service is to blame for this one

ilikeplanets 03-13-2015 11:06 AM

i don't even like the scorpions all that much but this WILL NOT get out of my head

LaBelle 03-13-2015 11:07 AM

damn that album cover...

ilikeplanets 03-13-2015 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaBelle (Post 4166532)
damn that album cover...

i know right. he makes creepy noises in that song too