Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   Music Board Archive (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Econoline Crush was an awesome fucking band (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=181054)

fuzzyroes 06-11-2014 05:37 AM

Econoline Crush was an awesome fucking band

Some really tight, 90's Canadian Alt-Rock. Check it out if you've never heard of em. Was just listening to this CD for the first time in ages tonight. Good shit.

fuzzyroes 06-11-2014 05:38 AM

The exploding boy 06-11-2014 11:28 AM

Ok that's it you're just the worst.

Elphenor 06-11-2014 01:12 PM

Yeah, I can already tell this band sucks without even listening

Trotskilicious 06-11-2014 03:56 PM

i love how fuzzy is trying to be an archivist but still obviously avoiding anything "hipsters" like

hey yeah i like obscure bands man, i like obscure bands that even the obscurists don't like man

(I mean seriously what the fuck is this)

Shallowed 06-11-2014 04:05 PM

The first step on the path to hipsterdom is to denounce hipsters and all that they like.

Catherine Wheel 06-11-2014 06:01 PM

I don't think I've ever come across a band that was tagged as grunge and industrial. They might be the first.

The exploding boy 06-11-2014 06:11 PM

they were pretty well known in Canada in the late 90's. Like they charted and had platinum records. I wouldn't call them obscure here. But i would call them another fine example why canada sucks at music.

Catherine Wheel 06-11-2014 06:22 PM

No actually I have. But it is rare.

Trotskilicious 06-11-2014 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The exploding boy (Post 4067193)
they were pretty well known in Canada in the late 90's. Like they charted and had platinum records. I wouldn't call them obscure here. But i would call them another fine example why canada sucks at music.

i see

fuzzyroes 06-12-2014 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trotskilicious (Post 4067145)
i love how fuzzy is trying to be an archivist but still obviously avoiding anything "hipsters" like

hey yeah i like obscure bands man, i like obscure bands that even the obscurists don't like man

(I mean seriously what the fuck is this)

No man. I just think most of the so called "hipster bands" that I've listened to have sucked ass. I mean, I guess i like a few bands that are big amongst the hipster crowds: Pavement, the first 2 Mgmt records, Tokyo Police club ETC.

For the most part a lot of these bands seem to be style over substance, in much the same way that the whole glam-metal trend was. I mean, you look at some of the most successful "hipster" bands and they're all shit. You got bands like: Foster the people, Mumford and sons, Vampire Weekend, The National, Imagine dragons all of that shit just bores me to absolute tears. No substance, no originality, I can't understand the whole craze. It seems to be just all about the image and aesthetics of it all.

fuzzyroes 06-12-2014 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The exploding boy (Post 4067193)

The Devil you know is a damn good album. Their first one was great too. Granted, I will admit that the 3rd one sucked ass though and of course the lead singers taking the Bolly route and making his own shit music with hired hands now so that doesn't count.

fuzzyroes 06-12-2014 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catherine Wheel (Post 4067191)
I don't think I've ever come across a band that was tagged as grunge and industrial. They might be the first.

What'd you think dude? You enjoy these songs?

The exploding boy 06-12-2014 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzyroes (Post 4067366)
No man. I just think most of the so called "hipster bands" that I've listened to have sucked ass. I mean, I guess i like a few bands that are big amongst the hipster crowds: Pavement, the first 2 Mgmt records, Tokyo Police club ETC.

For the most part a lot of these bands seem to be style over substance, in much the same way that the whole glam-metal trend was. I mean, you look at some of the most successful "hipster" bands and they're all shit. You got bands like: Foster the people, Mumford and sons, Vampire Weekend, The National, Imagine dragons all of that shit just bores me to absolute tears. No substance, no originality, I can't understand the whole craze. It seems to be just all about the image and aesthetics of it all.

You kinda pick horrible examples though .

Also i fail to see how Econoline fucking Crush has any more substance than those bands. Anyway by your definition it seems any band having success now and that is not 100% pop is a "hipster" band.

Trotskilicious 06-12-2014 01:17 PM

MGMT LoL that's a band "hipsters" make fun of

who the fuck is tokyo police club

get your head out of your ass and judge the music for the music, you bring all this other garbage to the table

for example you just named a whole list of bands i really dislike, the national is boring, vampire weekend is dogshit, foster the people is a pathetic Arcade Fire clone, Imagine fucking Dragons is a mainstream major label band and Mumford & Sons is massively huge and profoundly loathed by the indie music crowd.

you still haven't mentioned any of the alt rock/shoegaze revival acts that i like but if i post a deerhunter song you'll just respond "bro that song is fucking terrible" like you do with everything because you have confirmation bias

ultimately you need to realize that the indie "scene" is not a genre, or an aestetic. it means these bands are obscure and are on small labels and ultimately cater to a niche. A lot of times they are doing wild and interesting stuff that the mainstream can't fucking handle (SWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNSSSSSSSSSSSS) . The bands you listed can be categorized in several genres, but you act like they're one and the same. Find your niche and fuck the shit out of it, and you can do better than moldy canadian alt rock. I managed to and I'm not doubling down on Vampire Weekend.

I honestly don't understand how a dude like you doesn't like Japandroids except for some kind of confirmation bias about the Hipster Menace. They are hard drinkin hard partying boys from Vancouver. That's it, there's no pretension to anything they do. They are good time, fun time, fuzz rock coming straight out of the 90s.

miami heat by 4

fuzzyroes 06-13-2014 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trotskilicious (Post 4067460)
MGMT LoL that's a band "hipsters" make fun of

Lol really? I know a bunch of "hipsters" who used to really like em.

Quote:

who the fuck is tokyo police club

Pretty big band out here in Canada. They're pretty rad, big amongst the trendy kids

Quote:

get your head out of your ass and judge the music for the music, you bring all this other garbage to the table

for example you just named a whole list of bands i really dislike, the national is boring, vampire weekend is dogshit, foster the people is a pathetic Arcade Fire clone, Imagine fucking Dragons is a mainstream major label band and Mumford & Sons is massively huge and profoundly loathed by the indie music crowd.

you still haven't mentioned any of the alt rock/shoegaze revival acts that i like but if i post a deerhunter song you'll just respond "bro that song is fucking terrible" like you do with everything because you have confirmation bias

Well at least we can agree there. Those bands are really popular with who the culture would classify as "hipsters". They're some of the most popular bands that have broke through and they're all fucking terrible. Definitely style and aesthetics over substance.

I haven't really heard any alt rock/shoegaze revival hipster bands or anything though. I've heard a couple tracks from deerhunter, they weren't bad, but they didn't really make me wanna check out more of their stuff either.

Quote:

ultimately you need to realize that the indie "scene" is not a genre, or an aestetic. it means these bands are obscure and are on small labels and ultimately cater to a niche.

Believe me man, I get that. I support as much good indie music as I can. I guess to me, it just seems like the term "hipster" is a blanket term that's used for a lot of shit bands (like the ones I suggested) that I end up not liking. I don't think hipster music has one concrete sound. For example, most of that shitty math-rock stuff is also hipster garbage.

Quote:

I honestly don't understand how a dude like you doesn't like Japandroids except for some kind of confirmation bias about the Hipster Menace. They are hard drinkin hard partying boys from Vancouver. That's it, there's no pretension to anything they do. They are good time, fun time, fuzz rock coming straight out of the 90s.

I love the Japandroids man. Haven't checked out their debut album yet, but celebration rock is a damn good listen.

fuzzyroes 06-13-2014 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The exploding boy (Post 4067409)
You kinda pick horrible examples though .

Also i fail to see how Econoline fucking Crush has any more substance than those bands. Anyway by your definition it seems any band having success now and that is not 100% pop is a "hipster" band.

What the fuck is "hipster" music then if those examples are horrible? Those bands are the biggest, most successful bands out there that all of the trendy, hipster wankers like.

Most of the hipster shit that I've heard sounds like one big conglomeration of Vampire weekend, foster the people, or cheap Arcade Fire knockoffs(give or take a little). That's the kind of shit that I consider to be hipster music. The kind of music that attracts trendy assholes who don't really know anything about or have a genuine love for music.

Jimmy Kimmel did a great piece on exposing the general intelligence of most hipster goofs

pavementtune 06-13-2014 09:29 AM

are you still into gasslight anthhem fuzzy

Trotskilicious 06-13-2014 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzyroes (Post 4067626)
What the fuck is "hipster" music then if those examples are horrible? Those bands are the biggest, most successful bands out there that all of the trendy, hipster wankers like.

FUZZY SHUT THE FUCK UP WITH THIS SHIT ALREADY GOD DAMN IT

Trotskilicious 06-13-2014 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzyroes (Post 4067626)
Jimmy Kimmel did a great piece on exposing the general intelligence of most hipster goofs

i mean he does this shit all the time with any kind of thing, basketball players, soccer teams, you name it. For one thing it's not a scientific survey it's a bit on a comedy show and two lots of people do this all the time they don't have to be "hipsters"

your obsession is weird and kind of lame

Elphenor 06-13-2014 02:18 PM

People use the word hipster when they feel threatened by someone else's music knowledge.

If there are all these bands that they don't know about, maybe their musical tastes are actually pretty bland.

Trotskilicious 06-13-2014 02:40 PM

you're practically the definition of the guy they hate

"OKAY GUYS I GOT THIS LIST OF POST PUNK BANDS LET ME NAME THEM AND YOU TELL ME THAT I'M SO COOL AND EDGY. OKAY, HERE WE GO: GANG OF FOUR. THE FALL. TALKING HEADS..."

Elphenor 06-13-2014 03:00 PM

I actually didn't realize it was cool to like post-punk until I got on this forum.

fuzzyroes 06-13-2014 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trotskilicious (Post 4067707)
i mean he does this shit all the time with any kind of thing, basketball players, soccer teams, you name it. For one thing it's not a scientific survey it's a bit on a comedy show and two lots of people do this all the time they don't have to be "hipsters"

your obsession is weird and kind of lame

You're the guy always bringing it up in many threads that I've made. I'm not even really sure what justifies as "hipster music" aside from the obvious offenders. I'm a 28 year old man for crying out loud, I can't keep up with all of the trends anymore

fuzzyroes 06-13-2014 07:35 PM

I mean, I always hear about hipsters gushing about Lana Del Ray, so I checked her out and while she has an alright voice, the music is entirely unimpressive. I can't pretend that I'm "hip to the scene" but none of these artists that people have tried to turn me onto do anything for me.

Trotskilicious 06-13-2014 07:46 PM

WHO CAREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS OH MY GODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

fuzzyroes 06-14-2014 01:57 AM

Not me, so stop bringing it up every time that I'm sharing music with people.

Jeeze. It always comes back down to the hipster talk as far as Trotsky is concerned.

Trotskilicious 06-14-2014 02:08 AM

YOU BROUGHT IT UP

I TOLD YOU TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

HEAT BY 4

Shallowed 06-14-2014 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elphenor (Post 4067709)
People use the word hipster when they feel threatened by someone else's music knowledge.

Hipster can mean whatever you want it to mean.

fuzzy rose is using it here to put all of the music that he doesn't like in one neat pile. That being almost everything that was released after 2000, aside from the stuff that sounds like music before 2000. Especially if it features Mike Byrne.