Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   Pumpkins Archive (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   PARIS show discussion thread. (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=140864)

cyclonus5150 05-22-2007 06:26 PM

Okay so at what point did Pumpkins fans become incredibly whiny and high maintenance? What happened to the days when we were all just incredibly psyched to hear the band play just about anything, not whining about "the hits"? Granted, I pretty much gave up on this board during the Machina trainwreck but I really don't remember this many goobers lurking around bitching and moaning. Is this the fan base that kindof filled the void when the long-time fans lost interest? Maybe the ones that remained felt that by embracing the lackluster songs of the band's later years while most of the rock fan base had basically dwindled away that the band had somehow become "your own"? News flash - those songs are hits because they fucking rock. Why wouldn't the band want to play those songs that made them who they are today?

Oh and please get over the coverband bullshit. Billy and Jimmy were the driving force behind the Pumpkins sound on every album outside of the nightmarish "Adore". Even there you can't pin much credit on either D'Arcy or James. They were along for the ride basically from the beginning and were probably just grateful for the experience. More than anything, the Smashing Pumpkins were and always will be the creative vision of Billy Corgan and anyone who denies that is delusional. If you can't accept it, go start your own Scratchie Records fan site and give up on the Pumpkins. I think Billy is officially out of his post-Mellon Collie funk and is taking it to a new level. Oh and he's actually playing the guitar again, not just going through the motions. Sorry electro-goth-drivel fans. At least you've got "The Future Embrace" to chew on :).

JokeyLoki 05-22-2007 06:28 PM

tl; dr

krackhead 05-22-2007 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wounded
man the new heart logo looks so emo on that setlist. i like the old heart. yeah odd no gish. i'm sure they have at least practiced i am one and rhino though.

Trying to pull a green day and capture the emo crowd...

caliphornia 05-22-2007 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyclonus5150
Okay so at what point did Pumpkins fans become incredibly whiny and high maintenance? What happened to the days when we were all just incredibly psyched to hear the band play just about anything, not whining about "the hits"? Granted, I pretty much gave up on this board during the Machina trainwreck but I really don't remember this many goobers lurking around bitching and moaning. Is this the fan base that kindof filled the void when the long-time fans lost interest? Maybe the ones that remained felt that by embracing the lackluster songs of the band's later years while most of the rock fan base had basically dwindled away that the band had somehow become "your own"? News flash - those songs are hits because they fucking rock. Why wouldn't the band want to play those songs that made them who they are today?

Oh and please get over the coverband bullshit. Billy and Jimmy were the driving force behind the Pumpkins sound on every album outside of the nightmarish "Adore". Even there you can't pin much credit on either D'Arcy or James. They were along for the ride basically from the beginning and were probably just grateful for the experience. More than anything, the Smashing Pumpkins were and always will be the creative vision of Billy Corgan and anyone who denies that is delusional. If you can't accept it, go start your own Scratchie Records fan site and give up on the Pumpkins. I think Billy is officially out of his post-Mellon Collie funk and is taking it to a new level. Oh and he's actually playing the guitar again, not just going through the motions. Sorry electro-goth-drivel fans. At least you've got "The Future Embrace" to chew on :).

i think fans are just excited after thinking SP has been dead for almost 7 years. hopefully everyone will calm down after this first year of comeback tours/first comeback album.

theghostchild 05-22-2007 06:32 PM

I have to agree...as a longtime fan and board member since 1997, under a previous name, the board did change...as Billy posted int eh Chicago Tribune in 2005...he wanted his songs back, etc, etc....so why not stop your bitching and be happy they are back and playing. I love to hear the b-sides, rarities, "non-commercial" hits just as much as the next die hard, but the fact of the matter is the majority of the people attending these shows, particularly the ones in larger venues, wouldn't know the difference if it were an old song or a new song off Zeitgeist. We should be happy, stop the bitching, and enjoy the fact that "our band" is back.

monkeyfritters 05-22-2007 06:33 PM

JAMES AND DARCY RULE!

BILLY SUCKS!

cyclonus5150 05-22-2007 06:34 PM

Oh I'm sure it will. I was just surprised to see so many unwarranted bad vibes.

And yes, I was whining but I was whining about the whining so I get a pass on that :)

MisterSquishyHalo 05-22-2007 06:35 PM

We should be getting some show reviews soon.

waltermcphilp 05-22-2007 06:35 PM

is this thread worth reading?

Quiet CD 05-22-2007 06:35 PM

really awesome setlist... good job bc.

jack_kerouac03 05-22-2007 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyclonus5150

nightmarish Adore?

fuck you, buddy.

(unless of course, you are making a joke about Behold! The Nitemare)

Andy / 05-22-2007 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterSquishyHalo
FIrst show together..getting ready for massive festival tours...

and you expect them not to have a setlist and just play shit as they go along.

Come on people.

Well, I know I would hope that the encores wouldn't be planned out ahead of time. I like it when bands cater to the moment and play things in the encore according to their whims as opposed to knowing even before the show starts what they'll be playing for a closer.

Being that this is the first show, it's fine, but I'd hope down the road this might change.

Steve Holt 05-22-2007 06:40 PM

i don't really care that people are bitching about singles. it just astounds me that there are that many people who are that fucking stupid (delusional?) to think that they were going to avoid singles as much as possible.

pale_princess 05-22-2007 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpp
i bet i feel as sorry for you as you feel sorry for me

i just wish everyone could enjoy it

this is a serious post; i am not trying to be a smartass

i mean goddamn, i saw them on 12/2/00 and i NEVER THOUGHT i would see billy and jimmy perform old sp songs again...i thought i was listening to the last rocket, silverfuck, etc but i was wrong

and it's SEVEN YEARS LATER and now we get to hear all these songs again in all their glory; this is reason to have a smile on your face, not be cresfallen

i was at 12/2/00. you know who i waited in line to be in front of? james. you know who i was in front of the whole time? james. you know who was the only person to give james a gift before the last show, right before billy was swarmed with teddy bears? me.

they ended on the right note. the songs, to me, are not in "all their glory." glory *******s james.

and i'm still pissed they didn't play soma at the last show! so hah.

Nate the Grate 05-22-2007 06:41 PM

Wow, sounds like some of you have never been to a concert before. They played a ton of songs, and the setlist is incredibly varied for a band which such a vast catalog. Home? Winterlong? Annie-Dog? Untitled? Those were unexpected. Very promising setlist, and good to see that they played so many new songs, so we'll be able to "hear" the album before it leaks.

SpFission 05-22-2007 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate the Grate
Wow, sounds like some of you have never been to a concert before. They played a ton of songs, and the setlist is incredibly varied for a band which such a vast catalog. Home? Winterlong? Annie-Dog? Untitled? Those were unexpected. Very promising setlist, and good to see that they played so many new songs, so we'll be able to "hear" the album before it leaks.

paranoid 05-22-2007 06:43 PM

i remember reading somewere on this board that they were rehearsng 30 tunes for this tour... so this setlist is about 30 tunes.

I hope they play this exact setlist every night of this entire tour just to piss this board off. that would be aces.

Effloresce 05-22-2007 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waltermcphilp
is this thread worth reading?

No.

Everyone is bitching about the setlist (to be expected) and Corgan's fashion sense (what were you people expecting him to do)

I specifically remember Corgan saying in a Pitchfork interview (in mid '05) that if SP came back, so would the dress most likely.

And the setlist is pretty damn good. No Gish, but that's my only real complaint.

Reissdorf 05-22-2007 06:46 PM

I'm quite satisfied with this setlist... it could use a tune or two off of Gish though.

TheBigG753 05-22-2007 06:46 PM

I guess no one here wants the Pumpkins to promote their new album at all...lol. They played close to 30 songs, that's not good enough? Should they have had a 20 hour show where they just played every song they could fit in there?

SpFission 05-22-2007 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paranoid
i remember reading somewere on this board that they were rehearsng 30 tunes for this tour... so this setlist is about 30 tunes.

I hope they play this exact setlist every night of this entire tour just to piss this board off. that would be aces.

IMO that setlist was amazing. I don't know what these lame turds are all complaining about.

paranoid 05-22-2007 06:48 PM

Really really happy to see hummer, home, shame and silverfuck on this list. Awesome!

Not so enthused about GATGC or winterlong, but we'll see how it sounds from the recording if there is one).

surprised about annie-dog, must be i ncluded to showcase the new pianist.

It's sweet to have muzzle and untitled.

can't wait to hear the new tunes.

cyclonus5150 05-22-2007 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theghostchild
I have to agree...as a longtime fan and board member since 1997, under a previous name, the board did change...as Billy posted int eh Chicago Tribune in 2005...he wanted his songs back, etc, etc....so why not stop your bitching and be happy they are back and playing. I love to hear the b-sides, rarities, "non-commercial" hits just as much as the next die hard, but the fact of the matter is the majority of the people attending these shows, particularly the ones in larger venues, wouldn't know the difference if it were an old song or a new song off Zeitgeist. We should be happy, stop the bitching, and enjoy the fact that "our band" is back.

Here here. I too was an original board member but had to create a new screen name and I'm hoping that the fun will come back soon once everyone realizes what we've got....a second chance!

jack_kerouac03 05-22-2007 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pale_princess
i was at 12/2/00. you know who i waited in line to be in front of? james. you know who i was in front of the whole time? james. you know who was the only person to give james a gift before the last show, right before billy was swarmed with teddy bears? me.

they ended on the right note. the songs, to me, are not in "all their glory." glory *******s james.

and i'm still pissed they didn't play soma at the last show! so hah.

what did you give James?

smashapumpkin 05-22-2007 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpFission
IMO that setlist was amazing. I don't know what these lame turds are all complaining about.

agreed

Duke 05-22-2007 06:50 PM

The setlist is amazing. I would love to have seen that show. It still feels weird the thought of the pumpkins without James. That will definitely take some time to get used to.

pale_princess 05-22-2007 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jack_kerouac03
what did you give James?

flowaz.

theghostchild 05-22-2007 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paranoid

HAHAHAHAHA...That would be hilarious....I can here the small violins playing for many of you already!

cneumeye 05-22-2007 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndySlash
Well, I know I would hope that the encores wouldn't be planned out ahead of time. I like it when bands cater to the moment and play things in the encore according to their whims as opposed to knowing even before the show starts what they'll be playing for a closer.

Being that this is the first show, it's fine, but I'd hope down the road this might change.

You are completely gullible and naive if you think that bands don't have their encores planned ahead of time.