Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   Music Board Archive (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   So what do we all think of the South African rap group Die Antwoord? (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=175658)

Catherine Wheel 02-10-2012 07:06 PM

So what do we all think of the South African rap group Die Antwoord?

I was surprised at how much I like their new album. They make great club bangers and as long as they stick to club songs the album is good. Although I was taken aback by the lead rapper using the n word in one of their songs. I can't tell if he's trying to shock people or he's just naive.

Rider 02-10-2012 07:15 PM

I really don't understand the fascination people have with this band. I think it's just the idiotic art scene people who don't really like music that are into them.

Catherine Wheel 02-10-2012 07:19 PM

They definitely come across as rap for people that aren't really into rap which I also think applies to Das Racist.

Trotskilicious 02-10-2012 07:40 PM

das racist is chock full of rap references that people who don't like rap won't get though, so you're wrong

i never listened to die antwoord, it looked like something that was terrible so i totally passed on it

drake is textbook rap for people who don't like rap. softest rapper in the game or just exceptionally soft? #GHOSTFACE

Catherine Wheel 02-10-2012 07:54 PM

The only thing Das Racist and Die Antwoord have in common is that they both make fun of hip hop cliches. But that's Die Antwoord's entire shtick while Das Racist actually have substance and versatility.

I guess what also made me think that Das Racist was aiming for a non hip hop audience is the indie rock and obscure philosopher references. But I can kind of see where you are coming from with your observation. They have referenced Rick Ross and Cypress Hill among others.

Rider 02-10-2012 10:13 PM

It's like the people who think Bansky and Sheperd Fairly are amazing artists making progressive statements.

People talk about them like it some kind of amazing artistic social critique and parody.

I honestly can't tell though if I'm just not getting part of it or if I'm right and it is a ton of hype for something that is only marginally interesting. To me it's just not interesting enough at all to even figure it out though.

Catherine Wheel 02-10-2012 10:33 PM

The parody aspect of it isn't really interesting to me. It gets old quick. I think people assume that because it's parody or satire that automatically makes it high art. I'm just listening to it because it's insanely catchy and has a nice beat to it.

ghost-mutt 02-11-2012 07:47 AM

I reckon these guys suck

slunken 02-11-2012 04:11 PM

it's the cross-cultrual references that make them seem modern/appealing

like - they're making futuristic outsider rap music but they're white and live in africa wtf

Catherine Wheel 02-11-2012 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trotskilicious (Post 3826996)
drake is textbook rap for people who don't like rap. softest rapper in the game or just exceptionally soft?

The funny thing about this is that Drake has played a big part in getting R&B singer the Weeknd noticed and popular. And people say the same thing about the Weeknd. People say he's R&B for people that aren't really into R&B.

lala 02-11-2012 05:48 PM

i don't know. i don't listen to fucking rap.

mxzombie 02-11-2012 06:05 PM

YEAH MAN RAP SUCKS

reprise85 02-11-2012 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lala (Post 3827171)
i don't know. i don't listen to fucking rap.

rap = crap amirite

Euronomus 02-11-2012 09:08 PM

Yeah I hate rap and Drake sounds like every other douchebag rapper to me, but I can at least listen to Die Antwoord. It's not great art or anything but it doesn't grate on my nerves the way Drake or little Wayne does.

MyOneAndOnly 02-12-2012 01:03 PM

MyOneAndOnly 02-12-2012 01:14 PM

How much better or worse are they when it comes to their videos than Manson or Tool were in the 90s?

It's all been done before.

TuralyonW3 02-12-2012 02:03 PM

U mad

slunken 02-12-2012 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottytheoneand (Post 3827335)
Manson or Tool were in the 90s?

don't think this is a good sign if its all u can compare it to

TuralyonW3 02-12-2012 06:46 PM

They seem like they're doing exactly what the fuck they want and I say more power to them even if I don't have it heavy rotation myself. I like some of the weird aesthetics like the black contacts and whatnot

TuralyonW3 02-12-2012 06:48 PM

I had no fuckin clue why Dave was making the beautiful Michelle Dockery (Downton Abbey) say this bullshit the other night but now I know

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lz...losno1_400.gifhttp://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lz...losno2_400.gif

Trotskilicious 02-13-2012 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Euronomus (Post 3827211)
Yeah I hate rap and Drake sounds like every other douchebag rapper to me

that's weird because he's exceptionally soft, remarkably so, even.

Trotskilicious 02-13-2012 02:03 AM

i'd like him more if he was like "every other douchebag rapper" really

Trotskilicious 02-13-2012 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catherine Wheel (Post 3827170)
The funny thing about this is that Drake has played a big part in getting R&B singer the Weeknd noticed and popular. And people say the same thing about the Weeknd. People say he's R&B for people that aren't really into R&B.

never listened to the weeknd because of the drake connection

drake suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks

agenda suicide 02-13-2012 09:29 AM

It's pretty interesting to see the stuff they were doing 10 years ago compared to now.

MyOneAndOnly 02-13-2012 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TuralyonW3 (Post 3827440)
They seem like they're doing exactly what the fuck they want and I say more power to them even if I don't have it heavy rotation myself.

While I can only tolerate their music occasionally, i think it's at least interesting (compared to what's going on with hip hop in The States).

If you go back and watch their early videos, back before they got out of Cape Town, they look a look lot other south african Zef acts, a weird mix of hip hop and obsurdism. I give them credit for creating a style in their videos and short films that's more ambitious than just letting the label slap together a video.

Rider 02-13-2012 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agenda suicide (Post 3827624)
It's pretty interesting to see the stuff they were doing 10 years ago compared to now.

I've had people tell me that in order to "get it" you really need to go back and see what they were for the past decade. Still don't get it. Well not so much I don't get it. I get it it's just not interesting.

I really like the first one until the horrible rapping starts.

Trotskilicious 02-14-2012 12:52 AM

what do you like that isn't crusty ass grunge anyway

mercurial 02-14-2012 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trotskilicious (Post 3827540)
never listened to the weeknd because of the drake connection

drake suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks

The Weeknd's House of Balloon's is genuinely good though.

Didn't know about the connection until after I heard the album.
Not a huge Drake fan either. A few lines that I think are great, I know he's ghost written some hits or whatever. Obv. has some talent but I'm not really digging very deep, mostly judging on singles.

Trotskilicious 02-14-2012 03:05 AM

i like to make fun of him but this is pretty awesome

he's got skill but loverboy rap talking about what it's like to be famous is not a game changer it's just shallow

plus big ghost chronicles is respected rap opinion as far as i'm concerned

Euronomus 02-14-2012 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agenda suicide (Post 3827624)

I actually like this, they're pretty much just ripping off Tricky, but it works.