Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   General Chat Archive (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Kind of embarrassed (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=180301)

Starla 12-28-2013 12:23 AM

Kind of embarrassed
 
For Christmas I put a 70's mix together for my mom... all the songs I remember growing up with and the ones she has in her album collection. She called and thanked me for it... and said nothing much other than it was nice.

So today, I happened to be listening to a copy of that mix and realized the lyrics

@3:02



Starla 12-28-2013 12:25 AM

My mother played a lot of Jefferson airplane and starship when I was a kid. How could she play this sexually suggestive song all of the time around children. Should I mention it or let it go?

MusicMan4 12-28-2013 12:26 AM

Is yummy yummy yummy I got love in my tummy about semen swallowing

MyOneAndOnly 12-28-2013 12:28 AM

don't blame your parents. Thank them for exposing you to great music

Starla 12-28-2013 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aeris Hilton (Post 4030619)
Is yummy yummy yummy I got love in my tummy about semen swallowing

didn't put that on her cd lol

reprise85 12-28-2013 02:11 AM

i have mixed feelings about this

obviously, exposing children to sexual explicit material at a young age can be damaging. however, if in the course of exposing them to emotionally/mentally stimulating arts, you run into some sexually explicit lyrics or images, it seems that children don't realize that that is what they are hearing - until they do - and then they can ask questions, yes? as long as the song isn't depicting a gangbang or anything, this seems like an acceptable risk and perhaps a good thing?

Toast 12-28-2013 02:50 AM

Quote:

I had a taste of the real world
When I went down on you, girl.
This is what I say every night. Because I eat so much pussy.

Shallowed 12-28-2013 02:51 AM

Surely most people have heard sexually explicit music when they were young but not even realised that it was sexually explicit or understood the lyrics at the time.

vixnix 12-28-2013 08:04 AM

I remember listening to "I'll be your baby tonight" by UB40 on the radio with my Dad because we were borrowing this and all the presets were popular radio and my Dad couldn't figure out how to tune it. I think I was 10. It's burned into my memory as one of the most horribly awkward moments of my childhood.

Eulogy 12-28-2013 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reprise85 (Post 4030630)
i have mixed feelings about this

obviously, exposing children to sexual explicit material at a young age can be damaging.

What's obvious about this.

slunken 12-28-2013 10:56 AM

What were the lyrics?

Starla 12-28-2013 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reprise85 (Post 4030630)
i have mixed feelings about this

obviously, exposing children to sexual explicit material at a young age can be damaging. however, if in the course of exposing them to emotionally/mentally stimulating arts, you run into some sexually explicit lyrics or images, it seems that children don't realize that that is what they are hearing - until they do - and then they can ask questions, yes? as long as the song isn't depicting a gangbang or anything, this seems like an acceptable risk and perhaps a good thing?

It's kind of interesting because I never think about my parents in that context, as exposing me to something explicit, but other people I might. It depends. I was laughing about this last night with my sister, and how weird it is that they would play a song with any lyrics like that around us, being that they were both very strict with us when we were growing up. I wasn't even allowed to date until I was 17 or attend any parties until I graduated. They were always hovering and in our business, and wouldn't allow us to talk on the phone to any guys. We also had to dress modestly.

Rairun 12-28-2013 12:43 PM

To be honest, I'm very skeptical that there is any damage caused when kids are exposed to sexually explicit material. Obviously, there's a line between kids seeing sex in media and an adult "sharing" that material with a child, making them hear or see things in an implicitly or explicitly sexual situation with them. The latter is clearly abuse. The former, I don't think so. I heard and saw plenty of sexual things when I was a child, and I was told about them too (in an educational way, not in a pervy way).

JokeyLoki 12-28-2013 12:46 PM

You didn't even realize it was sexual till JUST NOW. What's the big deal?

Eulogy 12-28-2013 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rairun (Post 4030659)
To be honest, I'm very skeptical that there is any damage caused when kids are exposed to sexually explicit material.

Yes. The problems only come because kids are exposed to sexually explicit material and don't receive any education about what it is. imo.

pavementtune 12-28-2013 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eulogy (Post 4030643)
What's obvious about this.

I don't get that either.

Reprise, can you post the links to research that claims the obvious damage caused by lyrics?

The Omega Concern 12-28-2013 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starla (Post 4030649)
It's kind of interesting because I never think about my parents in that context, as exposing me to something explicit, but other people I might. It depends. I was laughing about this last night with my sister, and how weird it is that they would play a song with any lyrics like that around us, being that they were both very strict with us when we were growing up. I wasn't even allowed to date until I was 17 or attend any parties until I graduated. They were always hovering and in our business, and wouldn't allow us to talk on the phone to any guys. We also had to dress modestly.



good lord, did you grow up Catholic and wear those sexy little skirts?

The Omega Concern 12-28-2013 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rairun (Post 4030659)
To be honest, I'm very skeptical that there is any damage caused when kids are exposed to sexually explicit material. Obviously, there's a line between kids seeing sex in media and an adult "sharing" that material with a child, making them hear or see things in an implicitly or explicitly sexual situation with them. The latter is clearly abuse. The former, I don't think so. I heard and saw plenty of sexual things when I was a child, and I was told about them too (in an educational way, not in a pervy way).




Take a listen to the latest Miley Cyrus album and you might change your opinion.

pavementtune 12-28-2013 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Omega Concern (Post 4030670)
good lord, did you grow up Catholic and wear those sexy little skirts?

Children in skirts = sexy.

reprise85 12-28-2013 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eulogy (Post 4030643)
What's obvious about this.

for example, showing pornography to a young child can give them anxiety about sex and sexuality. depending on their age, it can also feel like a betrayal of the other parent. i experienced both of these. i also think them just coming across pornography could probably fuck with them. i have no studies about this.

reprise85 12-28-2013 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pavementtune (Post 4030669)
I don't get that either.

Reprise, can you post the links to research that claims the obvious damage caused by lyrics?

I don't think lyrics can cause damage, that wasn't my point.

reprise85 12-28-2013 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eulogy (Post 4030668)
Yes. The problems only come because kids are exposed to sexually explicit material and don't receive any education about what it is. imo.

I agree

reprise85 12-28-2013 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starla (Post 4030649)
It's kind of interesting because I never think about my parents in that context, as exposing me to something explicit, but other people I might. It depends. I was laughing about this last night with my sister, and how weird it is that they would play a song with any lyrics like that around us, being that they were both very strict with us when we were growing up. I wasn't even allowed to date until I was 17 or attend any parties until I graduated. They were always hovering and in our business, and wouldn't allow us to talk on the phone to any guys. We also had to dress modestly.

It's funny what people expose their kids to vicariously while not being explicitly for those values.

17 is pretty late. But then again I moved 1000 miles away with an older BF the month after I turned 15, soooo

pavementtune 12-28-2013 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reprise85 (Post 4030674)
I don't think lyrics can cause damage, that wasn't my point.

Ah, I get it now, thanks for clarifying.

At 7 or 8 I climbed up the bookshelves at home to get a look at the books out of my reach.
Bad idea.
I "borrowed" a book with the fascinating title SEXUS. It was some study about violent pornography in literature. And had the original texts. One of them about an old guy deflowering a teenaged girl with candles and beating her senseless. My nightmares after reading that were pretty ugly, but I couldn't just go ahead and ask - that would have meant admitting that I had broken the rules and read forbidden books.

The Omega Concern 12-28-2013 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pavementtune (Post 4030672)
Children in skirts = sexy.



well, ya. when I was in Catholic school those things were suggestive. Little wonder so many of those girls ended up sexually repressed and on the prowl back in the day.

those skirts worked wonders for breaking Britney btw...she got it.

reprise85 12-28-2013 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pavementtune (Post 4030678)
Ah, I get it now, thanks for clarifying.

At 7 or 8 I climbed up the bookshelves at home to get a look at the books out of my reach.
Bad idea.
I "borrowed" a book with the fascinating title SEXUS. It was some study about violent pornography in literature. And had the original texts. One of them about an old guy deflowering a teenaged girl with candles and beating her senseless. My nightmares after reading that were pretty ugly, but I couldn't just go ahead and ask - that would have meant admitting that I had broken the rules and read forbidden books.

That is terrible, I'm sorry you had that experience.

I was 11 (I know the exact date because it was the day I saw SP for the first time) and at my dad's work and came across a whole big file cabinet drawer full of really inappropriate porn. Like, it would have been bad enough if it was just regular vanilla porn. I was preoccupied about what I found for about a month before I told my mom (at least a month, I really don't remember how long), though I didn't realize how unorthodox the specifics were at the time (just that I found porn). It was a pretty terrible experience. I felt like he betrayed my mom, but I also felt like I was betraying him by telling her. And my mom told me this had happened before, and I dared not ask what she meant. And who keeps a ton of porn at work, anyway? I also felt bad because at that age I was interested in sex and looked at it all for a few minutes before I found something that made me feel terrible.

reprise85 12-28-2013 02:04 PM

Speaking of shitty memories.

I've had this memory forever, where I am in a cage that is set on a wall, and I see my mom on a bed sleeping and I am trapped and I don't know why I can't be with my mom. There is blue light streaming in the room, like it's dawn.

At thanksgiving my mom brought up an event, when I got my tonsils out she was in the hospital with a staph infection and they put us in the same room. I asked her, was I in a crib or something that was on the wall or really high or something? She said, yeah it was a cage and it was just really high. I was 3.

I never knew what to make of this memory. Confirmation is pretty cool. Although fucked up that they put children in cages, apparently.

She also told me that I didn't speak more than single words until I was 3, but I had constant ear infections and she thinks it was because I was mostly deaf. And I had a parasite when I was 1 and it took doctors months to figure out what it was. Apparently I was sick all the time. But I never cried pretty much ever about anything.

TuralyonW3 12-29-2013 01:02 PM

we built this city

Starla 12-30-2013 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Omega Concern (Post 4030670)
good lord, did you grow up Catholic and wear those sexy little skirts?

No. I had a father who was controlling about what his daughters were up to. No sexy skirts, at all.

Starla 12-30-2013 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reprise85 (Post 4030677)
It's funny what people expose their kids to vicariously while not being explicitly for those values.

17 is pretty late. But then again I moved 1000 miles away with an older BF the month after I turned 15, soooo

I wanted to run away when I was 15. Got about two miles down the road, looked at all the fields of nothing and realized I had no where to go. My world seemed so limited back in those days until I started driving.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Smashing Pumpkins, Alternative Music
& General Discussion Message Board and Forums
www.netphoria.org - Copyright 1998-2019