Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   Pumpkins Archive (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Zeitgeist Has Actually Aged Pretty Well (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=184340)

dreams of glass 12-19-2016 06:53 AM

Zeitgeist Has Actually Aged Pretty Well

I dunno

it sounds "relevant" all of a sudden

thoughts?

does anyone even care?

dreams of glass 12-19-2016 07:02 AM

check out JImmy on back up guitar

teh b0lly!!1 12-19-2016 07:20 AM

lol

no. no, it does not

BurtSampson 12-19-2016 10:28 AM

it sounded dated in 2007

FoolofaTook 12-19-2016 10:39 AM

Ur mom has actually aged pretty well.

themadcaplaughs 12-19-2016 04:25 PM

I would not call anything about this album "relevant." There are still at least two to four songs on the album I would call "good" Smashing Pumpkins songs. The rest ranges from tolerable to completely forgettable. It sounds like what it was, Billy and Jimmy jamming together and trying to get back into Smashing Pumpkins mode. As Billy has said before, the mere power that comes from Billy and Jimmy playing together will always make an album stand out, but this really was about forgettable as Billy Corgan projects come. Even the Teargarden songs seem more memorable, if only for how misguided and ridiculous some of them were.

The most positive thing I can think to say is that I have seen the band play "United States" three times live, and it really rocked each time; even with Mike playing drums.

Disco King 12-19-2016 04:43 PM

Hey look, it's the annual "looking back Zeitgeist isn't actually that bad" thread.

Cool As Ice Cream 12-19-2016 05:23 PM

i believe this thread is about zeitgeist the song, not about zeitgeist the album.

crabshack 12-19-2016 05:46 PM

True true

thomas_bland 12-19-2016 06:32 PM

So what do you think Bills comments at the end were all about?

dreams of glass 12-20-2016 11:31 PM

yet another boring review....

CONS:

Songs sound like rough sketches, are all over the place thematically, and have a very raw sound, they could have put a little more thought into each section of the compositions.

The Billy choruses. While not a bad idea on paper, and something that Billy has done before, the multi vocal tracks just sound WRONG and awkward.

The super metallic sounding and overly LOUD production. Worst guitar sound of any Pumpkins album, but.....

PROS:

Billy shreds on this. The last time we have heard any quality solos on an SP album.

Jimmy shreds. He's in top form, but again marred by bizzare production choices.

I feel like this album was pretty experimental, as far as guitar tones/effects used/weird shit in the background.

Ultimately, this is an SP record. It has all the obvious quirks and earmarks of every other release, it's just seems like they gave more of a shit about the idea of the song than the actual nuts and bolts composition.

Disco King 12-20-2016 11:38 PM

I'm also in the "Zeitgeist isn't totally awful" camp. It has some good tunes.

It's just that, there is so much better music out there to listen to, there's no real point spinning it. And even if I feel like listening to Pumpkins, there is so much better Pumpkins music to listen to. Like, why listen to Zeitgeist when I could listen to Machina?

I know nothing of production, so I don't know how to critique that, but something about the album sounds a little "off." Like, some of the songs that feel like they should be high-energy bangers don't sound high-energy and feel like they are missing something that is keeping it from hitting that sweet spot. Like, I wanna really like "Doomsday Clock" and "United States," but there's something not quite there about them.

I actually had no problem with the "Corgan Chorus" and thought "Bleeding the Orchid" was pretty good.

dreams of glass 12-20-2016 11:50 PM

I guess my point is there are a few sleepers in there, i.e songs that I wrote off before as being stupid, but now enjoy.

Examples: Bring the Light, and (Come On) Let's Go! (still a horrible song title however).

It almost seems like this album is a hard nut to crack, but rewarding if you can move beyond any lingering feelings of loathing or disappointment you had on the first few listens. But is that always worth your time?

I agree, Disco King, there are far more better choices if you wanna listen to SP. When I was listening to ZG recently, I found myself pausing it to listen to Pisces Iscariot instead, because I wanted to hear some rocking tunes. That album ROCKS.

and PI is a compilation, not even a proper release

JESUSNEEDSAHIT 12-20-2016 11:51 PM

lol how many times we have this thread. oh let's analyze song by song, is it terrrible album, is it ok album? look here's novelty guy who thinks it was swell.

this board can't let it go. it's like watching political scientists talk about vietnam

freshfacedyouth 12-20-2016 11:52 PM

it rocks my socks off!

dreams of glass 12-20-2016 11:59 PM

I'm sorry, JESUSNEEDSASHIT

I was bored, and admittedly, this a lame idea for a thread. In the future, I will try to come up with better content for the community.

dreams of glass 12-21-2016 07:24 AM

dreams of glass 12-21-2016 07:27 AM

dreams of glass 12-21-2016 07:49 AM

crabshack 12-21-2016 07:54 AM

i was honestly open to a real answer/discussion on Zeitgeist

FoolofaTook 12-21-2016 08:51 AM

Crabshack
crabshack
licks and loves
my asscrack

!

run2pee 12-21-2016 09:57 AM

Zeitgeist remains unlistenable to my delicate earholes. No offense if u like it, I won't call u a moran or anybody, it's just my earholes r rather delicate

There's a swishiness in the compressed-to-hell hi-hats that evokes the unpleasant, goose-pimpling sensation of walking too far in too-new corduroys

And the vocal doesn't sit in the track. Bored, lackluster performance on bills part, riding high in this weird empty space, several dbs wholly above the compressed-to-hell track. Just makes me wanna fart, man

BurtSampson 12-21-2016 10:09 AM

United States and Gossamer are the only good songs out of the Z era (not counting residency songs) and one was ruined on record and one was never recorded so

FoolofaTook 12-21-2016 12:14 PM

Hey burt u ever read samson agonistes? Its no paradise lost but its aight.

ninsp 12-21-2016 01:18 PM

The songs are fine. The production and vocals are just ear bleeding

FoolofaTook 12-21-2016 02:23 PM

Dear Weasle
have you ever pleasured yourself
rectally
to thoughts of
a glabrous
vin diesel

?

Rocket Launcher 12-21-2016 04:11 PM

Back then the album really stunned me (positively), but I was in another mindset, and besides, listening to new pumpkins (whatever formation) material after that break might have added extra positve emotions, but the songs are quite underwhelming, but still not totally bad. The production with all the multibollys makes me cringe nowadays, but that's RTB's fault, I would say. Some songs though still move me nowadays, like Bleeding the Orchid and United States, maybe because the "old" SP shines thru them. Well, overall that album still stands out positively today, after all that crap that followed afterwards with teargarden (except some acoustic live variations of those songs, maybe..but billy's voice was somehow shitty).

Ram27 12-21-2016 04:17 PM

Dogfighter28 12-21-2016 04:31 PM

A resounding return to form

The form that is good for me to poop on