Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   General Chat Archive (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   i fucking love science (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=180960)

Bread Regal 05-20-2014 11:53 PM

i fucking love science
 
i can't put my finger on why i'm irritated when i see content from this page reposted on my newsfeed.

reprise85 05-21-2014 12:35 AM

it kind of annoys me too.

Bread Regal 05-21-2014 12:45 AM

do you know why?

i think it's because it's a lazy way to appreciate science news but more so because suffers from the same inadequacies of journalism when reporting science news.

Shallowed 05-21-2014 12:53 AM

Same reason why people that say "music is my life" are annoing.

Musicians don't go around saying that music is their life, and you never hear scientists express their appreciate their love for science like "I fucking love science, like it's so awesome"

vixnix 05-21-2014 12:53 AM

Where's that comic... The one that has the guy saying "you don't love science. You like looking at it's rear end as it walks by."

That's why I hate it. And because the people who re-post stuff tend to be the loud mouthed, political, atheist types, who think they are right about every and science backs up all of their opinions.

The exploding boy 05-21-2014 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vixnix (Post 4062023)
and science backs up all of their opinions.

It generally does mine though. then again i'm an atheist. And think i'm right about everything.

Trotskilicious 05-21-2014 02:14 AM

this and also god

the think i hate about i fucking love science is the title of it you know i see someone share that shit i'm like whatever do you need to be FUCKING all over the FUCKING place you know shit man

the only good facebook meme page is miss world's

Trotskilicious 05-21-2014 02:16 AM

what about

I GODDAMN LOVE CHEMISTRY
I GET ALL WET FOR GEOLOGY
GEOGRAPHY MAKES MY DICK THROB
BIOLOGY MAKES MY TITTIES SENSITIVE

Trotskilicious 05-21-2014 02:17 AM


Bread Regal 05-21-2014 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trotskilicious (Post 4062036)
the only good facebook meme page is miss world's

isn't that weird? i'm guessing most of it is not original content, but even so it's all enjoyable.

Bread Regal 05-21-2014 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trotskilicious (Post 4062036)
the think i hate about i fucking love science is the title of it you know i see someone share that shit i'm like whatever do you need to be FUCKING all over the FUCKING place you know shit man

i'm fb friends with some overzealous people i met in college and they're reposting things from this page and i'm thinking "your status as a student gives you unlimited access to the scientific journals that are cited in these articles. why would you debase the significance of this discovery with a sensationalist headline?"

i understand the need to make science accessible to the layman, but i feel like this should accompany every i fucking love science repost
http://i.imgur.com/UXd1UyZ.png

I'm Hardcore 05-21-2014 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vixnix (Post 4062023)

That's why I hate it. And because the people who re-post stuff tend to be the loud mouthed, political, atheist types, who think they are right about every and science backs up all of their opinions.

yep, because it's so much more logical to back things up with a book of fairy tales.

Bread Regal 05-21-2014 02:29 AM

"somoans have been eating meat for thousands of years and we can't possibly live without it"

"is there any proof of that"

"no"

Bread Regal 05-21-2014 02:32 AM

i mean you're half samoan but what's the other half?

I'm Hardcore 05-21-2014 02:34 AM

"Thom York is a short skinny ugly white man with a small penis "

Cool As Ice Cream 05-21-2014 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vixnix (Post 4062023)
Where's that comic... The one that has the guy saying "you don't love science. You like looking at it's rear end as it walks by."

http://i58.tinypic.com/xdw8i8.png

Shallowed 05-21-2014 03:46 AM

I'm not sure you really understand love or science.

Sonic Johnny 05-21-2014 04:06 AM

Atheism should be renamed 'I Fucking Love Science Presents: The First Unitarian Church Of Neil Degrasse Tyson'

vixnix 05-21-2014 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic Johnny (Post 4062061)
Atheism should be renamed 'I Fucking Love Science Presents: The First Unitarian Church Of Neil Degrasse Tyson'

hahaha

vixnix 05-21-2014 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bread Regal (Post 4062042)
"somoans have been eating meat for thousands of years and we can't possibly live without it"

The problem with misquoting someone is that you only defeat the straw man.

vixnix 05-21-2014 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I'm Hardcore (Post 4062045)
"Thom York is a short skinny ugly white man with a small penis "

well science/observation actually would back this opinion up.

sppunk 05-21-2014 09:52 AM

Thom Yorke's penis is quite large, thankyouverymuch.

Mayfuck 05-21-2014 12:18 PM

The aestheticization of science is definitely one of the more annoying trends on the internet. You'd think we would be producing more scientists when you see the popularity of facebook pages like that, but its actually the opposite thats happening. its as much about group subsummation than it is about having a lazy enthusiasm for science, like there's definitely an ulterior motive to allying yourself with these people.

Mayfuck 05-21-2014 12:20 PM

i mean, what veexneex said

Future Boy 05-21-2014 12:48 PM

I'd support vixnix too but she's dark sided so it aint happening

MyOneAndOnly 05-21-2014 01:57 PM

Tyson is not an atheist

MyOneAndOnly 05-21-2014 01:58 PM

i love this facebook page and now I'm going to share even more of links posted on it.

duovamp 05-21-2014 02:05 PM

Sometimes science is cool but sometimes it's scary and we should be careful what we science.

MyOneAndOnly 05-21-2014 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vixnix (Post 4062023)
Where's that comic... The one that has the guy saying "you don't love science. You like looking at it's rear end as it walks by."

That's why I hate it. And because the people who re-post stuff tend to be the loud mouthed, political, atheist types, who think they are right about every and science backs up all of their opinions.

you're reading way too much into it.

amazingly, not everything posted on facebook is an anti religious statement against you personally

The exploding boy 05-21-2014 02:23 PM

You all get what you deserve for being on facebook.

I'm too cool for it............ and by that i mean, I have no friends.

I'm Hardcore 05-21-2014 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vixnix (Post 4062081)
well science/observation actually would back this opinion up.

you're abysmal

MyOneAndOnly 05-21-2014 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mayfuck (Post 4062098)
The aestheticization of science is definitely one of the more annoying trends on the internet. You'd think we would be producing more scientists when you see the popularity of facebook pages like that, but its actually the opposite thats happening. its as much about group subsummation than it is about having a lazy enthusiasm for science, like there's definitely an ulterior motive to allying yourself with these people.

is this supposed to be sarcastic? If not it makes no fucking sense.

Order 66 05-21-2014 05:56 PM

he's right. this is what happens when you pass off sports thug astronomy as "science"

MyOneAndOnly 05-21-2014 07:21 PM

The mainstream media all but ignores science coverage. And when it does present scence it typically uses reporters who are ignornt on the subject matter and/or it misrepresents the actual science. Then you have people like Jenny McCarthy and networks like Fox that are blatently hostile to science.

But somehow the fact that science is misrepresented is the fault of Facebook?



But somehow its

Trotskilicious 05-21-2014 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottytheoneand (Post 4062106)
i love this facebook page

anyone surprised by this, no?

STFU,S

Trotskilicious 05-21-2014 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bread Regal (Post 4062039)
isn't that weird? i'm guessing most of it is not original content, but even so it's all enjoyable.

i'm sure it's all from 4chan or something but she finds funny shit

Trotskilicious 05-21-2014 08:18 PM

i fucking love science is the TLC of facebook

i mean it's sub-discovery, is what i'm trying to say

Bread Regal 05-21-2014 08:24 PM

that's a good analogy i hadn't thought of because, hipster alert, i haven't had cable in my adult life.

Order 66 05-21-2014 08:26 PM

i have cinemax but my mom pays for it

Trotskilicious 05-21-2014 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bread Regal (Post 4062145)
that's a good analogy i hadn't thought of because, hipster alert, i haven't had cable in my adult life.

stop using the H word!!!!!!!!!!!!!


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Smashing Pumpkins, Alternative Music
& General Discussion Message Board and Forums
www.netphoria.org - Copyright 1998-2014