View Full Version : TheFutureEmbrace booklet text

theeggofhope
06-28-2005, 03:16 AM
I'm new to netphoria, and I haven't seen this anywhere, so maybe it was already posted, but i'm gonna post it again.....some kid was handing these little TheFutureEmbrace booklets out to the people who were waiting in line for hours and hours before the show.....it was really interesting it had all the cd art and a message from billy which read as such...

"I began recording this album in the beginning of 2004, working in the cold confines of what was once the smashing pumkins rehearsal space(around 7,000 square feet of ghosts, memories, failures and triumphs)...friends asked me at the time, wisely so, why i just didn't get out of this 'old' space, because at times the shadows of my past felt oppressive...but i knew and believed i was in the right place...because even though my band broke up over 4 years ago I still consider myself a member of The Smashing Pumpkins...that may sound weird to some, but to me the idea that somehow we are still in this together brings me comfort(and that *******s the fans too)...I never wanted to be a solo artist, so deep was my love for that band...i always had figured that if i ever made a solo record, it would have been in the context of the group taking some time off...so it is my way that if something is painful that you should go right at it, and working in this old rehearsal room was my way of meeting those old angels and demons head on...and over time, i feel i found something that was new, powerful and evocative of the place we are all in right now...the kind of music that breaks the common construct of space and time, moving forward and backwards all at the same time, TheFutureEmbrace... so you might be fair in asking the same questions now to me that i posed before to you, "faith in what and faith in whom?"...I believe absolutely from my soul that music can heel the broken heart, and that is the best answer I've got...my faith lies in my belief I have a right to sing my song, and that by singing and playing I can reach out beyond theses words and notes and touch something that lies deep withinall of us, a connecting belief that love is the answer, and remains the only answer...this is my faith in you an me...and since this is my 7th album, we can call upon luck and providence that this hope will reach you wherever you are...

...many, many times i have failed in my attempt to lead because my ideas about what i did or why i was doing whatever it was i was doing were often misguided...and where and when i could, i have tried to admit to my misgivings and pick up and move on best i can, at least secure in the feeling that whatever i had got myself or myband into, that at least I put my full heart in no matter how confused it ever got, even when all seemed hopeless...whether it was in the idealism of trying to reach for the stars with idealied work and then turning right around and scraping the barrels of our souls with out and out sub-class culture war nihlism, I have given my all to follow a dream that is bigger than winning in the dumb game of rock and roll...that doesn't mean i don't love rock and roll...as a matter of fact it has saved my life on a few occasions...but it is a game like any other...and not playing that game requires, you guessed it, Faith! TheFutureEmbrace is all about faith...and when no one talks about the notion of faith in this world, invariably the questions come up in regard to "faith in what, and faith in whom?"...the very idea of faith as a ways and means in a culture where mankind is seemingly more empowered than ever before can be a lightning rod to some, because no one, including me, likes to be told anything about how to live or how to be, or more spectacularly, what to 'believe' in...that is why we have headless religions and vacant governments and air-brushed beauty, because the notion of faith in all of those things is that you shouldn't have any at all...there is a commonly held belief now that you can create your own faith, and maybe you don't need a faith to follow so much as you need others to have faith in you....for a decade and a half, I have openly asked friends and fans alike to have faith in me; as an artist, as a seeker, as a musician, and also as a human being

in the beginning of making the record, it was just myself and my friend and engineer, bjorn thorsrud(we first worked together on the pumpkins 'adore' album and he has been by my side ever since) ...we have many miles between us, and i trust him to stay with me wherever i go, no matter how weird or how far it might seem...i told Bjorn that the only way forward was to dig in and find new ways of writing and recording, no matter how painful or slow it could turn out to be...not too ironically, after about a month or so, I felt I was in over my head (technologically speaking), so I called my friend Bon Harris to come to Chicago and point the way...Bon was once a member of the pioneering electronic duo Nitzer Ebb, so his connection to all things futuristic runs deep and strong...and so for the next 3 months, we forgot most of the rules we had once worked so hard to learn and worked very, very slowly to find the subtle nuances inside of what I was really trying to say from my heart in my own backwards way, i was trying to find faith in music again that was dinstinct from the voice i had created so many years ago...

theeggofhope
06-28-2005, 03:17 AM
why was the word *******s starred out?

Dead
06-28-2005, 03:18 AM
Originally posted by theeggofhope
why was the word *******s starred out? The board automatically does that to some words.

theeggofhope
06-28-2005, 03:19 AM
ya...i guess *******s is such an evil word, it must be hidden from sight...

Dead
06-28-2005, 03:24 AM
Thanks for posting it, interesting.

theeggofhope
06-28-2005, 03:36 AM
I was excited when they started handing the booklets out..it helped me kill 5-10 minutes of the 5+ hours i spent outside webster hall, with some of billy's other stalkers....

and a big thanks to K.A. for the special brownies....

mmmmm....they hit the spot

Dead
06-28-2005, 03:42 AM
This is why everyone loved the show, they were handing out special brownies.

theeggofhope
06-28-2005, 09:21 AM
no....only a few of us were lucky enough to get the special brownies...some of us even dropped some pieces of brownie on the new york city sidewalk, but we were still brave enough to pick them up and eat them....in this instince the "five second rule" collided head on with the "don't eat anything that fucking comes into contact with the disgustingly filthy ground in new york city rule" both rules of course were rendered null and void by the fact these were special brownies....in which case they could have fallen in dog shit....and all i would have been able to do, is stuff that bad boy in my mouth and say "geez...these brownies taste like shit..."

douglas78
06-28-2005, 09:42 AM
r-e-l-e-a-s-e

TicalFSU
06-28-2005, 10:00 AM
Egg,

Dont tell me you typed that out, brownies must have still been kickin.

Anyway enjoy the other shows....I should be there.

theeggofhope
06-28-2005, 10:13 AM
yes you should...and yes i did type it all out...THE WORLD HAS A RIGHT TO KNOW!!!! and btw i was so close to the stage Billy could have sweated on me...

The New
06-28-2005, 10:36 AM
in this instince the "five second rule"

That's actually a load of shit btw

theeggofhope
06-28-2005, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Screamin' Wild

That's actually a load of shit btw

NO ITS NOT!!!!!!

VoxUpDoc
06-28-2005, 10:52 AM
When Billy talks I feel embarrassed to own any of his records.

theeggofhope
06-28-2005, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Woody

why? cause you're a shithead and you don't understand a word of what he is saying? so you just sit there with that vacant expression on your face wondering if maybe you shit yourself again or maybe it really was just a fart that felt kind of wet and seemed to smeer in your panties as you let it out....

TicalFSU
06-28-2005, 06:22 PM

why? cause you're a shithead and you don't understand a word of what he is saying? so you just sit there with that vacant expression on your face wondering if maybe you shit yourself again or maybe it really was just a fart that felt kind of wet and seemed to smeer in your panties as you let it out....

VoxUpDoc
06-28-2005, 07:40 PM
Well I was gonna say because his whimsical and verbose style of speech is embarrassing.

my faith lies in my belief I have a right to sing my song, and that by singing and playing I can reach out beyond theses words and notes and touch something that lies deep withinall of us, a connecting belief that love is the answer, and remains the only answer...this is my faith in you an me...and since this is my 7th album, we can call upon luck and providence that this hope will reach you wherever you are...

I see no correlation between the vague use of concepts such as faith, healing, love, providence and "the answer" with the music he has produced recently. It sounds like a college philosophy student, spouting inappropriate nonsense with delusions of grandeur, but more importantly it sounds like someone trying to work their audience. It sounds like fucking Michael Jackson.

his connection to all things futuristic runs deep and strong

There's nothing futuristic or innovative about TFE. If Billy is as smart as he says he is why is he hyping up a retro goth electronica record as "the future", especially as what will come to be known as the future of music will be dictated not by one man living through past glories to a handful of faithful fans, but by shifts in the mainstream Corgan's self-confessed challenging music has no hope of reaching.

Oh, wait I've shit myself again. :rolleyes:

Ramdust
06-28-2005, 07:55 PM

"i always had figured that if i ever made a solo record, it would have been in the context of the group taking some time off..."

Funny, I posted a topic called "context" which was about this exactly. It mysteriously disappeared. Admins?

lelalalee
06-28-2005, 11:17 PM
woody made some good points that I agree with....billy is best while singing/playing & not rambling. my opinion is fine. I do not need to be attacked now. rock is his forte, not as a "poet". he should and could write that book of life stories in a cohesive & logical way-not willy-nilly all over the span of 38 years (38 special?) it is enought to make one have siezures.

alisonmonster
06-28-2005, 11:28 PM
Well I was gonna say because his whimsical and verbose style of speech is embarrassing.

I see no correlation between the vague use of concepts such as faith, healing, love, providence and "the answer" with the music he has produced recently. It sounds like a college philosophy student, spouting inappropriate nonsense with delusions of grandeur, but more importantly it sounds like someone trying to work their audience. It sounds like fucking Michael Jackson.

There's nothing futuristic or innovative about TFE. If Billy is as smart as he says he is why is he hyping up a retro goth electronica record as "the future", especially as what will come to be known as the future of music will be dictated not by one man living through past glories to a handful of faithful fans, but by shifts in the mainstream Corgan's self-confessed challenging music has no hope of reaching.

i agree 100% with this post.

Jonny5
06-28-2005, 11:38 PM

I strongly believe you're taking this all the wrong way. thefutureembrace is whatever billy wants it to be. the album is his expression and, indeed, his embrace (this sounds like cheese, i know) of what he believes to be progressive, not plainly THE FUTURE (gasp!) and that's what it will sound like.

Jonny5
06-28-2005, 11:45 PM
damn, it's like you're trying too hard to be a fan while jumping to these conclusions.

ehhh why do i even bother
sorry

theeggofhope
06-29-2005, 02:02 AM
people are allowed their opinions on what Billy is doing....and maybe before i was a little harsh with woody, and i apologize....but from talking to some of the fans i've met here in New York(i've gone to both New York shows and i'm going to the boston one...) i've been a bit disheartened by what i've heard....Billy's right, people don't have faith anymore, they'll go to his shows, and cheer and clap, but there is no real faith there....because when you get down to it, how many people really believe that through rock and roll Billy can change the world?

hmmm...not many i've found....but some of us have fairth in what Billy is doing, and what he will do in the future.....

and some of you don't believe.....some of you don't have faith, some of you don't want to be a part of what he is doing, because some of you don't think it is your responsibility to do anything to change this world.....some of you, most of you in fact just want to look out for the only person you truly care about....yourself....I believe in Billy and what he is trying to do....I believe in love and its power to change the world....I believe that you can start a revolution with rock and roll....I believe...and i have faith....and if that is what you think is wrong...then fuck me....i'm wrong....but i don't think anything could be or feel more right....in my heart hope blossoms, and i pray that somehow someway I can change this world, I can make this world a better place, I hope that one day I'll be able to spread the same love, faith and hope into people's lives that Billy has brought into mine....

only love can win? I don't know how true that is...but if we never try....then what has this life been for?

"they may kill us in our sleep
+ they may dance on our graves
but they will never tear us apart
(not now, not ever!)
I am yours-
in The Future Embrace"

TuralyonW3
06-29-2005, 02:04 AM

:rofl:

wpc33
06-29-2005, 02:07 AM
Because you're in love with your own imaginary construct of who he should be for you.
Go listen to some guns n roses cd's, stupid.

downerbuzz
06-29-2005, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by TuralyonW3

indeed. haha.

theeggofhope
06-29-2005, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by wpc33

Because you're in love with your own imaginary construct of who he should be for you.
Go listen to some guns n roses cd's, stupid.

don't talk bad about guns'n'roses, we all know that Axl maybe be even crazier than Michael Jackson...but....well, I guess its gonna be hard to defend Guns'N'Roses with this crowd, but i really don't give a fuck, they fucking rocked....thats all i've got....

GET IN THE RING!!!!!!

theeggofhope
06-29-2005, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by **********

Useless Ramble Statistics:

The word "faith" is used 6 times.
The word "believe" is used 6 times.
The word "Billy" is used 6 times.
The term "rock and roll" is used 2 times.
"I" or "I'm" appears a total of 20 times.

"Convincing argument" makes no appearance.

Sorry. Save your blind faith for Christianity.

wow, you actually kept stats on one of my posts? if i wasn't such a loving person...i'd tell you to find the closest gun, load it, put it in your mouth, and to make sure the fucking safety is off before you blow your brains out, cause man if your life is all about keeping uselss statistics for my posts, its time to check out dude....there has to be something better for you on the other side, even if it is nothing at all.....that being said....

please don't take me seriously...please don't kill yourself...please just find some faith in something other than the fact that you are always right....

love....

egg

:)

Dark Eternity
06-29-2005, 02:43 AM
That's quite harsh.

Billy is doing someo weird things as of late and has slightly contradicted himself in a few interviews or things he's said. He wants to revive SP and continue where SP ended. But he also says to expect somethign out of the ordinary and it's not what we expect. All right. Please stop being so fucking vague and tell us what the hell you want. We don't need some mysterious return of what will only end up being a let down. If you truly want your band back then go get it. But please don't tarnish the Pumpkins' name by releasing anything remotely similar to TheFutureEmbrace. While TFE is a good album with a few really god and great songs it is so far from the future that it isn't even funny. Please go ahead and pick up where SP left off, but at least make it SP.

I think TFE is a good album but might end up being a sidetrack for Billy. Yes he has changed, all things change. But in all reality it sure feels like the world has moved on from Billy and he is trying to find a way for him to regain his foothold in the future.

I know the man is a genius and will always make music that is interesting and good. But it doesn't mean the music he wants to do by himself is the future. At least with Jimmy back in the fold the drums will help take the current music to new levels. And hopefully Billy has some rock left in his veins to continue where the Pumpkins left off.

theeggofhope
06-29-2005, 02:52 AM

Useless Ramble Statistics:

The word "faith" is used 6 times.
The word "believe" is used 6 times.
The word "Billy" is used 6 times.
The term "rock and roll" is used 2 times.
"I" or "I'm" appears a total of 20 times.

"Convincing argument" makes no appearance.

Sorry. Save your blind faith for Christianity.

I wish i could have the kind of blind faith it takes to be a christian....but i can't....

and i don't really think there anything wrong with being a christian...unless it really is a horrible thing to try and bring unconditional love and some hope into this somewhat miserable yet amazingly beautiful world WE live in... if love, faith and hope are such horrible miserable unrealistic things....I guess i'm living in some kind of fantasy world thinking that they can change the world....but aren't we all just living in our own little fantasy worlds?

i'd say we're prisoners of our own delusions, illusions and perceptions, but that would be like, spouting some college philosophy bullshit.....which i wouldn't want to do, since some one might not agree with me....

AlphaCentauri
06-29-2005, 03:00 AM
aw. those brownies were tasty!

craig....blue smiley?:-)

theeggofhope
06-29-2005, 03:07 AM
Originally posted by AlphaCentauri
aw. those brownies were tasty!

craig....blue smiley?:-)

yep.....listening to some U2 and still feeling pretty good....

is that you revelution beatles pet shop boy?

AlphaCentauri
06-29-2005, 03:09 AM

yep.....listening to some U2 and still feeling pretty good....

is that you revelution beatles pet shop boy?

haha. u2. oh man. enjoy your night. thank you for the karma. enjoy the envelope!

neopryn
06-29-2005, 03:10 AM
this board is so fucking hopeless. i don't know why i even come here.

theeggofhope
06-29-2005, 03:18 AM
Originally posted by AlphaCentauri

haha. u2. oh man. enjoy your night. thank you for the karma. enjoy the envelope!

I will.....

and remember the challenge has been issued....

one of us is going to start a revolution....

i doubt it will be frank since he doesn't believe that rock can change the world...

i'm pretty sure you believe and that gives me hope that if I fail....then, well at least i won't be the only one, cause man...you don't have a chance without me....

:p

theeggofhope
06-29-2005, 03:32 AM
and i'm saving the envelope for a rainy day...so hopefully it rains tomorrow....

: )

and well....once again, while I appreciate you sharing YOUR OPINION with us all **********, it is just that, YOUR OPINION....not the absolute truth, not any kind of truth pertaining to any facts whatsoever, it is just your perception of what Billy has become and what Billy has done, and what Billy really is doing or trying to do....and I'm sorry if some of us disagree with you, but thats the way the world works...

disagreements will arise...

you'll think you're right, i'll think i'm right, and the truth of the matter is that we both could be completely wrong...

so please just let it go....

YOUR WORD IS NOT TRUTH, YOUR WORD IS NOT GOD, YOUR WORD IS YOUR WORD...and what truth it may hold, we may never know...but i hope/think you are wrong....and that is MY OPINION, shit on it if you will....but at least open your mind and maybe even your heart to the possiblity it presents....

Starla
06-29-2005, 07:25 AM

I concur. I'm getting so sick of reading or hearing Billy talk about himself. He used to be so good at expressing himself through music. I wish he'd just shut the fuck up and play.

Starla
06-29-2005, 07:47 AM
people are allowed their opinions on what Billy is doing....and maybe before i was a little harsh with woody, and i apologize....but from talking to some of the fans i've met here in New York(i've gone to both New York shows and i'm going to the boston one...) i've been a bit disheartened by what i've heard....Billy's right, people don't have faith anymore, they'll go to his shows, and cheer and clap, but there is no real faith there....because when you get down to it, how many people really believe that through rock and roll Billy can change the world?
hmmm...not many i've found....but some of us have fairth in what Billy is doing, and what he will do in the future.....
and some of you don't believe.....some of you don't have faith, some of you don't want to be a part of what he is doing, because some of you don't think it is your responsibility to do anything to change this world.....some of you, most of you in fact just want to look out for the only person you truly care about....yourself....I believe in Billy and what he is trying to do....I believe in love and its power to change the world....I believe that you can start a revolution with rock and roll....I believe...and i have faith....and if that is what you think is wrong...then fuck me....i'm wrong....but i don't think anything could be or feel more right....in my heart hope blossoms, and i pray that somehow someway I can change this world, I can make this world a better place, I hope that one day I'll be able to spread the same love, faith and hope into people's lives that Billy has brought into mine....

And you know what is even far more strange? You act like you belong to the Church of Billy Corgan or something. Posting this judgmental preachy shit. You presume to *know* the hearts of people here by what they write.

I *don't* think Billy is going to "change the world" with his music. He's not some fucking messiah, sent to start a revolution. The Beatles already did that in the sixties. Other great bands before him paved the way before he came on to the scene. Like it or not, bands out of Seattle and Cobain changed the face of music, not billy.

You know, when I was alot younger, I put him on a bit of a pedestal too. But now that I've grown up, and my musical tastes broadened, I can call crap, crap as I see it. I've seen, and heard Corgan produce better. And like the people we love and care about, we tend to call them out on shit when it's shit.

Billy doesn't want to hear any criticism. Nooo... he just counters it all with, "But they don't *get* it..... so that's okay"

Well, it's horse shit.

mistle
06-29-2005, 08:19 AM

WARNING: LONG RANT.

You sound as pretentious as Billy.

Theres nothing wrong with peace, love, understanding, faith, hope, etc etc etc.

Its obvious that billy isn't about any of these things.

A peaceful, understanding, loving person who has faith and hope in humanity doesn't consistantly jump from project to project, each failing under the weight of its own pretense, and then condemn every person around for the project failing.

But that's beside the point: I don't care if Billy clouds every public statement in a confusing, pointless diatribe. Hell, I don't care if Billy massacres infants and blacks.

I just want him to make good music again. And no amount of press releases, smoke-and-mirrors interview games, or strange promises will do that.

He's always talking about truth and how he's really baring his soul THIS time, but he keeps us all running in loops thinking the 'next big thing' is right around the corner. I don't fucking care you say, Billy. I don't care how many blogs you write about your dad smoking pot or yelling at you... because your music is still crap.

"Don't worry, it'll all make sense soon dot dot dot"

Just give it up.

He spends so much time constructing these elaborate schemes on how he wants to be portrayed, and every time it fails, he has to construct a new way to explain why it failed, which is always the same "No one gets it but me." or "It would have worked but (insert specific person here) messed up my grand plan!"

Just make some good music and you won't need to rebuild your public persona over and over again!

Once again, If it were really about making music and trying to 'change the world' and peace and love and truth and all this shit, he would release music quietly, without every move he makes being made into a spectacle.

It may not sound like it, but I actually am a positive person. I'm just semi-bitter because I've realized that the man I had credited with some of the world's best music really turns out to be a one-trick-pony of sorts. Believe me, I want him to make music that gets me excited. But he hasn't. And I don't see him doing it any time soon.

good post. i actually like TFE, but i'm so tired of the way he approaches the media and communicating with his fans. back in the day it was the music that got him the attention he seems to crave so much. now he tries to create that attention out of the blue and it's just hollow and pointless. he needs to realize that it's not up to him what impact his work has, but up to the music and the audience.
does that make sense?

theeggofhope
06-29-2005, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by mistle

good post. i actually like TFE, but i'm so tired of the way he approaches the media and communicating with his fans. back in the day it was the music that got him the attention he seems to crave so much. now he tries to create that attention out of the blue and it's just hollow and pointless. he needs to realize that it's not up to him what impact his work has, but up to the music and the audience.
does that make sense?

yes it makes sense....because that is the way YOU perceive Billy and his music and his work....this comment is not directed at you, by why is it that people are feeling the need to talk down to me or act like i'm wrong in the way I perceive what Billy is doing?

isn't it up to me, to decide what kind of impact Billy's music has on MY life and what his music inspires in MY heart? I never said Billy was the one who was gonna start the revolution....but people like Billy are the ones that plant the seeds of hope in the hearts of tomorrow.....maybe you don't see it that way, but i do....maybe Billy has already inspired, the next cobain, or the next lennon, maybe somewhere out there, down in a bunker(tee hee) in a galaxy far far away, someone has been inspired.....maybe you won't know the revolution is coming till it slaps you right in the face....and then again, maybe it will never come...I don't know all the answers, and i don't think I presume to know what is in anyone elses heart, but i know what is in MY heart.....and that I've been inspired....and even if i fail in what I'm trying to do....at least I'll have tried, instead of just sitting back and criticizing others for what i perceive their failures to be, at least I want to put MYSELF out there to be judged by the likes of people like you....and i don't mean that in a negative way, I just mean it in a way, that sometimes when you are fighting an uphill battle, and the mountain starts to come down upon you....all you can do is stand there and pray and haope that you've chosen the right path...and try to have faith in fate or destiny, and I know those are somewhat crazy and outdated notions....but I still believe in the music....I still believe in the man....and I'm starting to believe in myself and my ability to change the world....its funny how no one thinks that one man can change the world anymore....and its true, one man alone can't change the world.....can't move a mountain, one man alone can't really do anything....but that man and the people that he inspires CAN DO SOMETHING, CAN MOVE MOUNTAINS, and yes....THEY CAN CHANGE THE WORLD....and thats what I believe...agree or disagree, it doesn't matter to me....I believe....you don't have to....

lelalalee
06-29-2005, 01:45 PM
ok....billy is up there in "weirdo world" with michael jackson and axl rose-he did it to himself because he constantly needs the attention he never got as a child (so we all suffer/EXCEPT for the times when he is actually "rocking & rolling",the thing he does best) and he is a self-absorbed human being WHO,ON MANY OCCASIONS JUMPS OUT OF HIMSELF AND DOES THINGS SO COMPASSIONATE & LOVING, THEN HE GOES BACK TO "BILLY-LAND". If he is in therapy, good god bless him...get on meds & maybe your "muse" will come back because you have lost it. being GRANDEOUS is exhausting for all of us, just do what you say you will do and quit mindfucking us, it is not fun anymore....ypou are getting pretty old for a coqutteish, mysterious, concubine. olease get back to the rock-'cause when you do it, no one else can do it better.

TheDeuce
06-29-2005, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Billy Corgan
and since this is my 7th album

Isn't this his 8th album. Or his he not counting Machina 2

Originally posted by Billy Corgan
in the beginning of making the record, it was just myself and my friend and engineer, bjorn thorsrud(we first worked together on the pumpkins 'adore' album and he has been by my side ever since)

So there's Billy's real problem.

Where's Flood?

tcm
06-29-2005, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by *************
gish
siamese dream
MCIS
Adore
Machina
Machina II
TFE
yeah, Billy's probably blocked out Mary Star Of The Sea too.

*aaralyn*
06-29-2005, 08:51 PM
I'm glad you enjoyed the special cakes I made. Have fun in Boston!

peace,

KA (who now has a zippo....sweet)

Dr Fager
06-29-2005, 09:29 PM
[B]

yes it makes sense....because that is the way YOU perceive Billy and his music and his work....this comment is not directed at you, by why is it that people are feeling the need to talk down to me or act like i'm wrong in the way I perceive what Billy is doing?

What Billy is doing? LMAO

Billy is flying by the seat of his pants deciding which way to try to revive a career that has sadly passed him by.

You sound like a cult follower, a branch dividian.

Billy is no god, he has no grand plan.

He is now a middle aged man trying to figure out how to get the spotlight back he now misses.

What he fails to understand is people moved on once his act got stale. Nobody loved Billy, we loved music under the name Smashing Pumpkins. He went from a guy who had a good knack on guitar to a self pretentuious, artsy farsty, ego maniac and then dares questions where we (he) went wrong?

He's no messiah, and he isnt going to lead a revolution. He is a psuedo intellectual hack that has somehow found a way to brainwash people like yourself.

Luckily, only about 30k people felt the same way for TFE this week. Maybe at some point hell shut the fuck up and just pick up his guitar and do what he does best....play rock and roll.

tcm
06-29-2005, 11:29 PM
or maybe machina II isn't being considered and MSOTS is.
well, i find it most likely that Billy just counts both MACHINAs as one.

theeggofhope
06-30-2005, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by *aaralyn*
I'm glad you enjoyed the special cakes I made. Have fun in Boston!

peace,

KA (who now has a zippo....sweet)

KA!!!!!! you rule!!!! fuck Robert Plant...you are my god!!!!!!

Dr Fager
06-30-2005, 11:39 AM

I'd really like to see billy dissappear from every sort of spotlight and quietly hone an amazing album over like 5 years. if he just stops pretending to be something larger than life, he'll be able to figure it out.

I take back what i said earlier about him being a one-trick pony (or did i edit that out?) i honestly believe that anyone who is capable of being so amazing and prolific for MOST of his career can keep doing it. but i think he's caught up in what he believes he should be, rather than just stepping back and taking a breather.

or maybe you are right and hes just a washed up rockstar.

who knows.

The problem is he thought he was bigger then the music.

Its just dissapointing now to see him moan and complain about everything. Tough childhood, boo hoo, we all had issues. Dont like the music industry? Its made you millions of dollars and given you the celebrity you now cherish and cant let go. Whine about band members, please your no saint. Reprise wont push my album, its a boring album lacking real direction that has no real target audience. I want my band back, you should have dealt with those issues long before your solo stints went down the tube.

Does anyone really want to hear this sob story from a multimillionare that has the world by the balls? There nothing worse then hearing a pampered ego maniac cry while he's sitting in a 10 million dollar house, who has the ability to do anything his heart desires. He has a dream life, and yet its all doom and gloom from this guy. And the further this all plays out the less and less it becomes about creating music. Now its just a cheesy soap opera that nobody really cares about.

Until he gets out of the self induced fantasy world he lives in, his career is essentially meaningless and closer to being finished then ever having validity again.

AlphaCentauri
06-30-2005, 11:43 AM

KA!!!!!! you rule!!!! fuck Robert Plant...you are my god!!!!!!

I believe she may now have her own following? :-P

ContraryMary
06-30-2005, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Dr Fager

Billy is flying by the seat of his pants deciding which way to try to revive a career that has sadly passed him by.

Billy is no god, he has no grand plan.

He is now a middle aged man trying to figure out how to get the spotlight back he now misses.

What he fails to understand is people moved on once his act got stale. Nobody loved Billy, we loved music under the name Smashing Pumpkins. He went from a guy who had a good knack on guitar to a self pretentuious, artsy farsty, ego maniac and then dares questions where we (he) went wrong?

He is a psuedo intellectual hack that has somehow found a way to brainwash people like yourself.

Luckily, only about 30k people felt the same way for TFE this week. Maybe at some point hell shut the fuck up and just pick up his guitar and do what he does best....play rock and roll.

ok point by point

1) up 'till missing the spotlight part I think you have a point...he said he wants his dreams and his band etc. back in that ad....yeah it's a big egotistical but it's honest. He knew he was something that really mattered to a lot of people, really made a difference, and I don't know if it's so much the spotlight as just pride in his career and what he does and being able to reach so many people with it that he misses. He's even admitted there's something he misses about the Pumpkins. I think your middle aged etc thing is a bit harsh though because I don't think he acts ashamed of his age or is having some kind of mid life crisis. And yeah I don't think he has some grand plan, he is flying by the seat of his pants. I don't know about you but the world tests me and challenges me very day, some days I feel confident and some I don't. I think Billy's being pretty honest and transparent in showing that he goes through the same things and is tested by the world every day too, and sometimes he feels he can do no wrong and some days he feels like he's just a bit lost.

2) I love Billy. I know I'm not the only one. And I'm not some stupid fan girl or whatever, I just appreciate his dedication to making good music and to his fans. Even if you don't like TFE, I think it's good quality stuff, it's growing on me. On TFE there is a lot of reference to changing that seems to be hitting the spot for me right now (my favorite lyric "stretch my skin, restless gods/ maybe turn my heart of hearts/ deposit change in the camera eye" I want to have my skin stretched by some challenges now. "I'm Ready" also talks about leaving and change etc. and of course All Things Change) I admit it's not as electric as say the grandiose and incredible Mellon Collie that just makes you go "well, that was impressive!" but Adore was one you had to listen to a lot to appreciate. Not saying TFE is like Adore musically but it's alike in that it grew on me the more listens and I got more and more to take from it. Also the structure of writing the songs, he actually wrote a few songs, like Camera Eye and DIA that seem to have a really traditional singer songwritery quality the way they bring back certain parts, bridges, etc. He went all electro with the production but I don't hear many people talking about how he actually wrote some pretty solid songs and is really working at some more classic songwriter techniques.

I don't give that many artists that chance...you know get anything they put out, listen to it a coupla a times if I don't get it at first...Billy may be the only one but it's because his music is worth it, he's a talent worth listening to. He was more than someone who had a knack for guitar, that kinda negates his songwriting talent and his ability to move people with his songs.

I also think he appreciates his fans, those who give him a chance and a career as a musician. Listening to someone that much it's kinda like inviting them into your life even if you don't know them, it's like saying they're a friend or someone worth supporting who they are and what they stand for. And I do for Billy. So there are people who still love him for the person he shows us to be, just because you don't doesn't mean there aren't many others.

3)pseudo intellectual? That's kinda cold. I don't think of pseudo intellectuals as people who have a lot of heart, but I do with Billy. So I just don't think that label fits.

4) I agree with the fact that his talking isn't as good as his music. I personally loved the Machina album but hated all of that stupid mystery whatever mess. Hopefully soon he will make music that speaks for itself and makes some news just for his music. I think James and D'Arcy don't get enough credit for being very strong personalities that positively influenced how much jabbering he did, provided a nice cushion when Billy got so serious or wrote something that would break your heart, made it a bit more palatable. I hope he gets a good group around him when he comes back with the Pumpkins, maybe it will work. But I think he does more that just play good rock and roll, that's kind of a small box. He makes good music, that is what has reached people and that IS what he does best. He's always seemed to follow his heart, what he thought was best and it led him in a wierd path away from the rock he was famous for. As he finds his way I am still a fan. --MA

Dr Fager
06-30-2005, 04:46 PM

well, everything you just said proves that money doesn't = happiness. billy's just trying to find it again.

his problems are self induced

crystalline
07-01-2005, 12:16 AM
*stands on chair in support of billy*

some odd dead poet society thing came over me. i can't help myself.

Ketch
07-01-2005, 02:50 PM
I really don't care about what anybody thinks and other people's opinions certainly won't affect mine, but I hate all these "billy lovers" who come onto the board and type exactly the same way he does:

"all of you haters don't understand...billy is the greatest...we have such a deep bond...i understand him and he understands me and my needs so much that we have become one...we are so united that i all of a sudden type the same way you do...please billy don't listen to them and their gibberish...I love you billy..."

theeggofhope
07-01-2005, 02:57 PM
wow...and i thought it was lame that you type exactly the same way all your teachers told you to....and the same way everybody else does for that matter...boy was I wrong....I must have egg all over my face....

GET IT!!!! egg.....

chouchou
07-01-2005, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Ketch
I really don't care about what anybody thinks and other people's opinions certainly won't affect mine, but I hate all these "billy lovers" who come onto the board and type exactly the same way he does:

"all of you haters don't understand...billy is the greatest...we have such a deep bond...i understand him and he understands me and my needs so much that we have become one...we are so united that i all of a sudden type the same way you do...please billy don't listen to them and their gibberish...I love you billy..."

wow, he has publishing rights on the ellipses?
that sure beats MJ owning the beatles catalog...
go billy.