View Full Version : fuck, im a new identity theft victim

twilightfadez
06-24-2005, 03:34 PM
well my mom just called me.....and said a check under my name, was made and paid out to some chick in Michigan...for 50k

HOLY FUCK.

our accounts are frozen now, and shes talking to police.

obviously i was the one to blame, since im the only one that shops online...which is her only reason behind why this could've happened.

adajhdkjsah :(

BeautifulLoser
06-24-2005, 03:36 PM
Oh fuck

Ihaman
06-24-2005, 03:36 PM
Wait, aren't you the one who bought all that stuff from freesilverjewlery?

chris_bakewell
06-24-2005, 03:37 PM
Fuck that sucks, sorry to hear it.

kristin xp
06-24-2005, 03:37 PM
so are credit cards really the devil? or is it the internet this time?

Geek USA
06-24-2005, 03:38 PM
It's just not your month eh?

twilightfadez
06-24-2005, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Ihaman

huh? what are you talking about?

BeautifulLoser
06-24-2005, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Ihaman

You have to pay for that with credit cards... she said there was a check.

BeautifulLoser
Originally posted by twilightfadez

huh? what are you talking about?

www.freesilverjewelry.com

<i>eer, wait, that's not it... I forget.</i>

twilightfadez
i just logged to my banks account...and you know how they have scans of checks...well i see the check, with my name and address...but my signature is a computer signature. not a human signature.
man this is fucked up.
i hate the world :mad:

BeautifulLoser
06-24-2005, 03:40 PM
i just logged to my banks account...and you know how they have scans of checks...well i see the check, with my name and address...but my signature is a computer signature. not a human signature.
man this is fucked up.
i hate the world :mad:

How would they have gotten your checks???

twilightfadez
Originally posted by BeautifulLoser

www.freesilverjewelry.com

i have never heard of that site.
and it says "comming soon"

BeautifulLoser

i have never heard of that site.
and it says "comming soon"

I just edited.. that's not it, I don't remember the name of the site.

twilightfadez
06-24-2005, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by BeautifulLoser

How would they have gotten your checks???

well its weird..cos its not my check..its just like a check....with my name printed on it and address...and at the bottom where you sign..its just my name printed again.

twilightfadez
06-24-2005, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Geek USA
It's just not your month eh?

fuckin eh! :(

BeautifulLoser
06-24-2005, 03:43 PM

well its weird..cos its not my check..its just like a check....with my name printed on it and address...and at the bottom where you sign..its just my name printed again.

There's no way any bank should have cashed that without a real signature. That's fucking stupid.

Quagmire
06-24-2005, 03:44 PM
if i were the guy i would've gone for something a bit less suspicious than 50k

twilightfadez
06-24-2005, 03:44 PM
i know!!!
she even signed her name on the back and everything

I AM FUMING!

man, its always me. im always the one that causes shit like this for my parents. fuck.

DeviousJ
06-24-2005, 03:45 PM
So did they actually get hold of one of your checks? And what the hell is a computer signature? Why would someone cash a check for 50k without thinking they'd be caught?

This really sucks, but on the bright side of things I think the perps will have a whole lot more attention brought on them than if they'd just taken $5000 or something

DeadSwan
06-24-2005, 03:48 PM
so someone got your SSN (via your credit account) , hacked your checking account for the number only and made out a check? that's so weird

DeviousJ
i know!!!
she even signed her name on the back and everything

I AM FUMING!

man, its always me. im always the one that causes shit like this for my parents. fuck.

So they got some random check, printed your name and address on it and then printed your name again? That's nothing to do with you, you didn't cause shit. And I doubt it has anything to do with you shopping online either - they could have gotten your details from your websites or any number of other places. This is pretty stupid because it's not even identity fraud, but I really wouldn't blame yourself here. Does it even have your account number on there?

DeadSwan
Originally posted by DeadSwan
so someone got your SSN (via your credit account) , hacked your checking account for the number only and made out a check? that's so weird

or wait, duh, you can use a debit/credit card. still, that's weird.

twilightfadez
06-24-2005, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by DeviousJ
So did they actually get hold of one of your checks? And what the hell is a computer signature? Why would someone cash a check for 50k without thinking they'd be caught?

This really sucks, but on the bright side of things I think the perps will have a whole lot more attention brought on them than if they'd just taken $5000 or something

no it's not one of my checks. its like a generic type of check/deposit thing, where on the left top side, my name is printed
with my address.

then it says: payable to Angela Koreckl or something like that.

then at the bottom it says (where you usually sign)

authorized signature: and my name is typed out. like printed.

well shes on the phone with miami police now..cos theyre in georgia on some work biz...so its even harder than this.

man. people are so awful

DeadSwan
06-24-2005, 03:53 PM

no it's not one of my checks. its like a generic type of check/deposit thing, where on the left top side, my name is printed
with my address.

but no account number?

Mason R Butler
06-24-2005, 03:53 PM
When I had an unemployment check stolen from my mailbox, the stupid bitch that cashed it added her name to it with a typewriter. She seriously just sloppily typed her name above mine and signed it. She cashed it with a passport and wrote her phone number on it. Made her pretty easy to catch... or it would've if the police had actually done anything about it. :(

twilightfadez
06-24-2005, 03:56 PM
ok...i printed the check, cos it was real blurry on screen...its a check from qchecks.com

cos it says qchecks tracking code on it.

DeviousJ
06-24-2005, 03:56 PM

with my address.

well shes on the phone with miami police now..cos theyre in georgia on some work biz...so its even harder than this.

man. people are so awful

That is absolutely retarded. Please tell me the money wasn't actually transferred from your account, because if so I wouldn't be sticking with your bank. I can't believe this would even get past the 'haha no' stage.

twilightfadez
06-24-2005, 03:57 PM

but no account number?

yeah theres an account number...but its not mine...its from my moms acocunt im sure. i dont know the number, so its probably hers. i gotta ask her when she calls

the thing is i have authorized signatures in all of my parents accounts. so they a hold of my name and info, and with that they paid out the money.

DeviousJ
06-24-2005, 04:00 PM

yeah theres an account number...but its not mine...its from my moms acocunt im sure. i dont know the number, so its probably hers. i gotta ask her when she calls

the thing is i have authorized signatures in all of my parents accounts. so they a hold of my name and info, and with that they paid out the money.

So you can trace this back a little then? Have you given your account details to this company in the past?

This is exactly why I won't use debit cards online - it's a direct line into your account. Credit cards have a limit and they provide fraud protection too

DeadSwan
06-24-2005, 04:04 PM

So you can trace this back a little then? Have you given your account details to this company in the past?

This is exactly why I won't use debit cards online - it's a direct line into your account. Credit cards have a limit and they provide fraud protection too

but don't you get a refund if someone uses your debit card illegally? so long as you can prove it?

twilightfadez
06-24-2005, 04:06 PM

to qchecks? i have never heard of them until now.

and i have used my debit card online....but this is a totally different account, where they took the money from. so it doesnt make sense!

Sam and Mike
06-24-2005, 04:12 PM

to qchecks? i have never heard of them until now.

and i have used my debit card online....but this is a totally different account, where they took the money from. so it doesnt make sense!

qchecks.com and qchecks.net didn't even send me to an actual site. :confused:

www.identity-theft-help.us/identity-theft-victim.htm

Nimrod's Son
06-24-2005, 04:14 PM
wait, so why did they freeze your mom's account? you have a joint acct w/ your mom?

twilightfadez
06-24-2005, 04:14 PM
my bad

www.qchex.com

twilightfadez
06-24-2005, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Nimrod's Son
wait, so why did they freeze your mom's account? you have a joint acct w/ your mom?

my account is under theirs....my checking and credit card and money market (which i plan to separate once i go back home)

but i also can sign in any of their personal accounts as well.

so they just froze every single account we have

Sam and Mike
06-24-2005, 04:19 PM
A notarized affidavit of forgery is your statement that you did not authorize use of your check. It typically goes either to your bank (if they got stuck with the forged check) or to a check service (recovery) company if the merchant was stuck with the forged check.

Banks are pretty straightforward. The check service company may not be. Some of them make the procedures clear, others make them deliberately hard to follow.

The package you send may *******:

The notarized affidavit of forgery.
A copy of the police report.
A copy of your driver's license.
A cover letter; ******* in it any case numbers and the account number for the forged checks.

guz
06-24-2005, 04:20 PM
without actually signing up, qchex makes this type of check fraud look alarmingly easy.

Sam and Mike
06-24-2005, 04:20 PM
www.quinlanfaris.com/archives/000073.html - qchex.com fraud

Doesn't appear to be helpful in explaining your situation, though.

wHATcOLOR
06-24-2005, 04:21 PM
that sucks!! jstu five minutes ago i was having lunch and chuckled at this clever american express identity theft commercial. they're like, this is jim's dream vacation,and it shows him doing all this awesome stuff, buyign watches, getting massages, etc. then they say, except it's not jim, it's maurice (or something like that), who stole jim's card

twilightfadez
06-24-2005, 04:24 PM
ok good news for the moment...the check wasnt allowed to go thru cos they called my mom to authorize it and she did not.

phew.

now....the police have all the info and are investigating.

i guess it probably happened cos i do buy stuff online, none of my parents do so.
fuck.

Sam and Mike
06-24-2005, 04:27 PM
http://cicorp.com/qchex/QChexCheck.jpg

Yeah, that just seems way too easy. :erm

But, if the debit card you use online isn't linked to the account the check was written on... That doesn't seem like your online purchases caused it. But, yeah, I don't know. :confused:

guz
06-24-2005, 04:28 PM
i think there is a good chance this has nothing to do at all w/ online purchases, unless you've used your bank account info on a shady site. after signing up w/ qchex, you simply input your bank info -- account info -- your address info, and viola! you're free to send a 'qchex check' anywhere. of course, no one would think of using this service illegally, their disclaimer is quite frightening :rolleyes:

Note:

Lack of valid ownership and/or signature authority on Bank Accounts you set up with Qchex may be illegal and subject you to possible prosecution by legal authorities.
Neovi in its sole discretion, may freeze or close your account if Neovi believes you are using Qchex for any illegal or improper purpose. See the Terms of Service for complete license agreement terms.

This could simply be someone who got a hold of a check, even an old one, and went for it all. $50k probably wasn't a great idea.

twilightfadez
06-24-2005, 04:28 PM
its all so weird :(

twilightfadez
06-24-2005, 04:30 PM
i wonder if the address the bitch put there was really hers...and her name

perhaps not!

man :/

Sam and Mike
06-24-2005, 04:31 PM
Tell your parents to get a paper shredder (and you too). Could be an instance of dumpster diving...someone got ahold of a bank statement and got the account number that way.

twilightfadez
06-24-2005, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by guz
i think there is a good chance this has nothing to do at all w/ online purchases, unless you've used your bank account info on a shady site.

aside from paypal..ebay..zappos.com and amazon...i rarely e-shop elsewhere

:*(

Sam and Mike
06-24-2005, 04:32 PM
http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/ripoff144577.htm

There are a whole bunch of complaints against qchex there.

guz
06-24-2005, 04:32 PM
:idea:

find an ID that's not yours -- but looks like you. find an old used check. sign up on qchex, send yourself a check for some non-suspicious amount in the found ID's name...donate to netphoria.

twilightfadez
06-24-2005, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Sam and Mike
Tell your parents to get a paper shredder (and you too). Could be an instance of dumpster diving...someone got ahold of a bank statement and got the account number that way.

could be. and the worst part is ive been out of miami for the past 4 months. so i dont think it was anything on my part there.

ill mention this to them

my mom rips important papers up..but in like4 pieces, which is techincally doing nothing. :/

wHATcOLOR
it's goign to be terribly poetic when i am an identity THEFT victim too

twilightfadez
Originally posted by guz
:idea:

find an ID that's not yours -- but looks like you. find an old used check. sign up on qchex, send yourself a check for some non-suspicious amount in the found ID's name...donate to netphoria.

lets wait till andrew sees this!

Sam and Mike
06-24-2005, 04:34 PM
http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/ripoff144577.htm

There are a whole bunch of complaints against qchex there.

I contacted qchex.com and neovi.com and told them them this account was fraudulantly set up against me. I spoke with 4-5 customer service reps who told me that they would do nothing since I wasn't their customer!!! They said that I had no right to stop them from creating and sending out their fraudulant checks because I didn't know the email that set up the accoutn. I told them I would give them my bank, the FBI, or the police contact information so they could confirm this fraud against me and to stop knowingly allowing this fraud against me to continue. They said they would do nothing until the police, FBI, or some authority made them stop.

My husband has an account with paypal and my name it not *******d, and our cking account secured the funds with paypal. Not sure if there is a connection based on other reports I see on ripoffreport.com.

Yep, sounds like a great company. Good luck dealing with all this. :(

So maybe it was paypal?

guz
06-24-2005, 04:36 PM
I doubt it was paypal or any of the legitimate companies she listed -- paypal would have her bank account info if she set that up...but it'd be all over the news if info like that ever got out.

twilightfadez
06-24-2005, 04:36 PM
well just to be on the safe side now i just went ahead and terminated both my paypal and ebay account

twilightfadez
06-24-2005, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by guz
I doubt it was paypal or any of the legitimate companies she listed -- paypal would have her bank account info if she set that up...but it'd be all over the news if info like that ever got out.

yes paypal had my account number.

but then heres the thing....that account number i had on paypal..my personal debit account...was not the one where they took the money from.
they took it from my mom's money market. and eventhough i am authorized to sign in it, i have never even touched or handled any transactions from it.

guz
06-24-2005, 04:38 PM
funny, now that i think about it...i remember a short while ago Wells Fargo stopped printing your full acct. number on transaction receipts -- and i was told that it was to help prevent online fraud. at the time i didn't think much of it, but now it fits. especially when you think of all those who print atm receipts and dump them in the nearby trashcan.

Sam and Mike
06-24-2005, 04:44 PM
"Easy check fraud technique draws scrutiny
Ever written a check? Your account could be targeted, too": www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7914159

Debaser
06-24-2005, 04:47 PM
Like 3 or more years ago, I mailed a check payment to my cell phone company. Then a couple weeks later I get a notice that my cellphone payment was late and my bank account had less than a dollar in it.

Apparently somebody intercepted my mail, grabbed my check, erased everything I wrote on it (yes, i did write in pen), and rewrote the check to himself. The signature looked nothing like mine, but of course it cashed anyways. I'm still puzzled how he knew exactly how much money I had in my account because he wrote the amount on the check within the dollar of my balance.

I just had to make two phone calls, the bank reimbursed me immediately, closed the account, opened a new account in my name, and the cellphone company reversed my late fees.

DeviousJ
06-24-2005, 05:02 PM

but don't you get a refund if someone uses your debit card illegally? so long as you can prove it?

I'm not entirely sure, if they're not caught then I think you're held responsible, althoguh that probably varies from bank to bank. Credit cards give you way more protection from fraud though.

Originally posted by Debaser
Apparently somebody intercepted my mail, grabbed my check, erased everything I wrote on it (yes, i did write in pen), and rewrote the check to himself. The signature looked nothing like mine, but of course it cashed anyways. I'm still puzzled how he knew exactly how much money I had in my account because he wrote the amount on the check within the dollar of my balance.

He probably just called the bank and said 'yes hello Mr Debaser here, account number ########, I'm just at the store and I need to check my balance before I can write this guy a check'

Sam and Mike
06-24-2005, 05:16 PM

I'm not entirely sure, if they're not caught then I think you're held responsible, althoguh that probably varies from bank to bank. Credit cards give you way more protection from fraud though.

According to www.identity-theft-help.us:
First, the good news. In general, an identity theft victim who suffers credit (card) and banking fraud will be liable for no more than the first $50 of the loss per account (15 USC 1643). [Note: This does not seem to apply to debit cards. You're on your own here.]

DeviousJ
06-24-2005, 05:21 PM

According to www.identity-theft-help.us:

That sucks. You get a better deal here apparently

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/business/3256799.stm
All sounds terrifying! What happens if I do fall victim to credit or debit card fraud?

The law states that cardholders are not liable for fraudulent transactions as long as the original card is still in their possession.

Any bank or business turning down a refund request is on very shaky legal ground.

The problems arise when a card is stolen or lost and is then used fraudulently.

Under these circumstances according to the terms of the Consumer Credit Act and the Banking Code you are liable for damages up to a maximum of £50.

However, an Apacs spokesperson said that banks often waive the £50.

useful idiot
06-24-2005, 05:22 PM
a while back someone hijacked several ebay accounts i had. the accounts were just for buying stuff as none of them were set up to sell things. whoever hijacked them, hacked into my domains host email server and and requested the passwords for the accounts, then changed the ebay accounts passwords and added stolen checking and credit information to them....then sold $1000s of dollars worth stuff on them.

the reason why i know this had something to do with my domains mail server is because my other accounts that had isp emails weren't touched.

so heres something to think about.

obscured01
06-24-2005, 05:28 PM
<font color="dab9ea">Cathy I'm sorry, that's horrible. :(</font>

DeadSwan
06-24-2005, 05:32 PM
so you're held liable for debit cards, but what if the debit card is used as a credit card (as is the case over the internet)? am i splitting hairs?

twilightfadez
06-24-2005, 05:35 PM
so you're held liable for debit cards, but what if the debit card is used as a credit card (as is the case over the internet)? am i splitting hairs?

well i assume there must be some form of protection, since you are using it just like a credit card

DeadSwan
06-24-2005, 05:38 PM

i only ask b/c i got in an argument with my mom over this :o

also, it's good that everything's OK with you now :)

twilightfadez
06-24-2005, 05:46 PM
thanks dude.

but we still have to wait to see what the police says.

in the meantime all of my accounts are dead frozen :(

DeviousJ
06-24-2005, 05:52 PM

I don't think there's a difference - a debit card is just a way of agreeing for money to be transferred from your account, whether you use it online or in a store or whatever. A credit card is just an agreement for money to be paid for you by your credit company, then you reimburse them later, so the money doesn't actually leave your account until you pay your bill. If there's fraud then the credit people take care of it. I don't know about those combo credit/debit cards from your bank though

guz
06-24-2005, 06:46 PM
I don't know about those combo credit/debit cards from your bank though It usually just depends on the bank. Wells Fargo has 'WellsProtect' that I believe covers -all- unauthorized use of the check card. In this day of age, if you have any type of card that's unprotected, you're playing with fire.

alisonmonster
06-24-2005, 06:48 PM
oh god, im so sorry, that happened to me. I have never lost track of my card once but someone got the number and was forging shit all over the place and i didn't notice til the credit company shut down my account. Then they tried to access my paypal account.etc etc. What a nightmare, i hope yuo get it fixed up soon.

DeadSwan
06-24-2005, 06:50 PM
hmm. i have washington mutual. this is what they have

http://wamu.com/personal/accountchoices/extras/idtheftservices/default.asp

DeadSwan
06-24-2005, 06:52 PM
oh, and i have gold protection
http://wamu.com/personal/accountchoices/extras/pluspackage/default.asp

BeautifulLoser
06-24-2005, 07:33 PM
ok...i printed the check, cos it was real blurry on screen...its a check from qchecks.com

cos it says qchecks tracking code on it.

The only thing I could find about Qchecks.com was some dude talking about one of those Nigeria scams..

I bet your mom thought she was getting money from Nigeria, and used your name!!

http://www.quatloos.com/Tax-Forums/viewtopic.php?t=1001059

BeautifulLoser
06-24-2005, 07:35 PM
my bad

www.qchex.com

Oh

Nevermind then

Orchestra
06-24-2005, 07:39 PM
Best 50k I ever spent.

Debaser