View Full Version : 50billion more asked for wars, possible ammendment to bar women from combat support

patrick
05-13-2005, 05:18 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050513/pl_nm/iraq_congress_funding_dc_1&printer=1

-

The Senate Armed Services Committee has recommended a further $50 billion be set aside to fund U.S. military operations in Iraq, Afghanistan and the U.S.-declared global war on terrorism.

The proposed new war spending for fiscal 2006, which starts Oct. 1, would push the cost of the 2003 U.S.-led invasion of Iraq and its aftermath toward $250 billion, far ahead of initial expectations voiced by the Bush administration.

Officials advocating the invasion played down the financial cost. Then White House budget director Mitch Daniels predicted Iraq would be "an affordable endeavor."

The recommendation for fresh emergency spending was sent to the full Senate on Thursday night as part of a bill that also would authorize $441.6 billion in regular defense spending in fiscal 2006, a 3.1 percent real increase over last year's authorized sum.

Three days ago Congress gave final approval for an $82 billion emergency war-spending bill, of which about $76 billion would go to war-fighting.

Even with such a large, emergency funding measure, the Pentagon has said more money would be needed as early as October. By 2010, war costs could top $500 billion, some experts have projected.

The White House Office of Management and Budget did not immediately return a phone call seeking comment.

The additional $50 billion for war spending had bipartisan support on the committee.

"I am particularly pleased that the bill will authorize $50 billion to support the day-to-day military operations of our troops in Afghanistan and Iraq," Sen. Carl Levin (news, bio, voting record) of Michigan, the panel's top Democrat, said in a statement.

WOMEN IN COMBAT

The Senate's version of the bill put it on a potential collision course with the House of Representatives over the role of women the military.

The House Armed Services Committee next week will consider an amendment to bar women from serving in Army combat support and combat service support units. That is not in the Senate committee's bill.

The House military personnel subcommittee approved the amendment, which was pushed by the chairman of the full committee, California Republican Duncan Hunter.

Democrats on the House panel said women have shown their capabilities on the front lines. They said the amendment would undermine morale, making recruiting more difficult, and put further strains on U.S. forces.

Women currently make up about 20 percent of combat support and service support units.

Hunter defended the proposed ban as needed to prevent women from being placed in the front battle lines, which he said could happen soon unless Congress intervened.

"The American people have never wanted to have women in combat and this reaffirms that policy," Hunter said in a statement

patrick
05-13-2005, 05:19 PM
very coincidental, but all of those army base cuts will save $50 billion!

isn't it nice how well things work out?

cunt fuckula
05-13-2005, 05:19 PM
and exactly what do you hope to accomplish by posting this?

patrick
05-13-2005, 05:21 PM
i hope for people to read it

what else?

cunt fuckula
05-13-2005, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by patrick
i hope for people to read it

what else?

why would you want them to read it?

patrick
05-13-2005, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by cunt fuckula

why would you want them to read it? because this is very important

a lot of people seem to forget there's a war going on, and it effects their lives in many ways

cunt fuckula
05-13-2005, 05:25 PM
because this is very important

a lot of people seem to forget there's a war going on, and it effects their lives in many ways

so you're posting it because you want to make the world a better place?

patrick
05-13-2005, 05:26 PM

so you're posting it because you want to make the world a better place? no

i'm posting it because i think awareness is a very important

cunt fuckula
05-13-2005, 05:27 PM
no

i'm posting it because i think awareness is a very important

why is awareness important then?

patrick
05-13-2005, 05:29 PM

why is awareness important then? lol

stop it already

Sapphire
05-14-2005, 07:06 AM

why is awareness important then?

Because if they're not aware, they post shit like this:

so you're posting it because you want to make the world a better place?

ThexTwilight
05-22-2005, 03:55 AM
The House Armed Services Committee next week will consider an amendment to bar women from serving in Army combat support and combat service support units. That is not in the Senate committee's bill.
>>>

WHAT THE FUCK.
Please tell me that is some sort of error.:mad:

Knight0440
05-22-2005, 12:17 PM
My standard reply as of late seems to be:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

What are people gonna do about this?

DeadSwan
06-17-2005, 01:31 PM
whew, now i can stop worrying about being drafted

BeautifulLoser
06-17-2005, 01:43 PM
Wow, yeah.. stop women from being in combat support. As if they didn't have enough of a problem filling the ranks. I'm sure that'll help the number of people in the military dramatically. Because, ya know, we're not stretched thin as it is...

What. The. Fuck.

Debaser
06-17-2005, 02:25 PM
what the hell is this crap? there's a girl missing in aruba for god's sake. we can't forget about that, sheeple.

Debaser
06-17-2005, 02:26 PM
very coincidental, but all of those army base cuts will save $50 billion!

isn't it nice how well things work out?

I wonder how much $ the 14 permanent bases in iraq is going to cost.

pastry sharp
06-17-2005, 02:32 PM
personally, i think the effort to bar women from combat is terrific, i just think they need to go one step further and bar men from combat as well.
:)

DeviousJ
06-17-2005, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by BeautifulLoser
Wow, yeah.. stop women from being in combat support. As if they didn't have enough of a problem filling the ranks. I'm sure that'll help the number of people in the military dramatically. Because, ya know, we're not stretched thin as it is...

What. The. Fuck.

I've heard the argument that 'no women in combat' is less about capability and more about men either trying to impress the women or being over-protective and being more likely to let their emotions influence a situation where a woman is wounded or in trouble. Having been around these people and all what's your take on that?

BeautifulLoser
06-18-2005, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by DeviousJ

I've heard the argument that 'no women in combat' is less about capability and more about men either trying to impress the women or being over-protective and being more likely to let their emotions influence a situation where a woman is wounded or in trouble. Having been around these people and all what's your take on that?

That's exactly the reason I've always said i don't agree with women being in the infantry or special forces. It's very true.

Also, I think that there's a huge problem with women getting pregnant while they're in a combat zone. It's a big no no, but alot of women do it anyway, because they know it'll get them out of there in a hurry. Right before the 1st Cavalry Division was deployed, you'd see gaggles of pregnant soldiers walking around. It was kinda sad, really... I wonder if they'll ever tell their children that they were conceived specifically to get out of going to Iraq.

This war <i>has</i> been a more in-your-face war for combat support... I could see how the same idea about emotions and such could be applied.

But, I don't think now's the time to implement it... there would just be too few men left to pick up the slack.

GlasgowKiss
06-18-2005, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by DeviousJ

Yeah that and they're really clumsy.

wally
06-18-2005, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by GlasgowKiss

Yeah that and they're really clumsy.

and they can't drive for shit

DeviousJ
06-18-2005, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by BeautifulLoser
It was kinda sad, really... I wonder if they'll ever tell their children that they were conceived specifically to get out of going to Iraq.

"Mommy, was I planned?"
'Yes. Yes you were.'

GlasgowKiss
06-18-2005, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by wally

and they can't drive for shit

Lets not get started on the limited palette of makeup.

homechicago
06-23-2005, 12:35 PM
my cousin is driving a tank because the original driver got his eye shot out. their tank doesn't have the same protective gear that tanks in ww2 had.

i hope my cousin doesn't get shot.

i hope they find the missing 9 or so billion before funnelling more money to the war profiteers. no wonder recruiting is declining. who wants to fight in an army where contractors come first instead of people on the front lines?

disgraceful.