View Full Version : Tom Waits?

Cretin Soup
05-08-2005, 05:41 PM
Came across the song 'Martha' by accident.
Am curious.
Album recommendations?

Thank You.

Mayfuck
05-08-2005, 05:46 PM
t0m w8z

Cretin Soup
05-08-2005, 05:48 PM
c73v3r.
ch33r5.

patrick
05-08-2005, 05:55 PM
i fucking love tom waits

he's had two musical phases:
his first phase, which lasted until 1981 or so, was where was a sad, lonely, drunken man at a piano playing blues songs. the album which has "martha" on it ('closing time') is the best example of this tom waits. "heartattack and vine" is also a great record

AND THEN

he met his wife, collaborator and muse kathleen. from then, he transformed into a mystical pirate. this is by far the best incarnation of mr. waits, and pretty much every single album he's released since then has been good, great or classic

start with "rain dogs," which is considered his best by most people. it's wonderful, but not my favorite. "frank's wild years" is my personal favorite. from there on...jeez. "bone machine," "blood money," "alice," "swordfishtrombones," "mule variations" and "the black rider" are all worth hearing

enjoy

mistle
05-08-2005, 05:59 PM
tom waits is awesome. i only have five tom waits albums, but so far i like 'alice' best. it's sweeter than the others, somehow. the first one i got was the gloomy 'bone machine' and that definitely left me wanting more, so you could try that too. my favorite song of his is 'another man's vine' right now

http://www.heresj.com/saintjohn/issues/0601/art/waits.jpg

patrick
05-08-2005, 05:59 PM
blood money is my second favorite

if i were you i'd get them in this order:

1. rain dogs
2. frank's wild years
3. blood money
4. alice

and extend outward

pee pee colada
05-08-2005, 06:00 PM
he co wrote and produced that primus song 'coattails of a dead man' as well as 'tommy the cat', apart from that my only knowledge of him is 'small change'. ill heed patrix advice though.

patrick
05-08-2005, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by mistle
so far i like 'alice' best. it's sweeter than the othersyeah both alice and blood money were written as musicals. all of the alice material was written in 1991, and was held as this "great lost tom waits album" for a decade, until he finally released it

patrick
05-08-2005, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by pee pee colada
he co wrote and produced that primus song 'coattails of a dead man' as well as 'tommy the cat', apart from that my only knowledge of him is 'small change'. ill heed patrix advice though. tom waits has collaborated with primus a lot actually

he's much better than primus is

ryan patrick
05-08-2005, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by patrick

1. rain dogs
2. swordfishtrombones

patrick
05-08-2005, 06:04 PM
there are a few best of comps out there, but they're worthless

if you want one though, download "mule variations". it's an album of all-original material but it really kind of serves as a tom waits best of, if that makes any sense

patrick
05-08-2005, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by ryan patrick
there's no way swordfishtrombones is better than frank's wild years

ryan patrick
05-08-2005, 06:06 PM
there's no way swordfishtrombones is better than frank's wild years

i actually haven't heard that one.

but i would stress that it's miles better than Blood Money or Alice, both of which are pretty spotty records.

patrick
05-08-2005, 06:07 PM

i actually haven't heard that one.

but i would stress that it's miles better than Blood Money or Alice, both of which are pretty spotty records. alice is spotty, yeah. blood money's the best thing he's put out since bone machine, though.

by the way, his newest one "real gone" is real crap
don't get it

pee pee colada
05-08-2005, 06:08 PM
tom waits has collaborated with primus a lot actually

he's much better than primus is primus only put out two good albums, so i can understand that.

ryan patrick
05-08-2005, 06:10 PM
i like Real Gone. at least, "Hoist That Rag" is a kick ass song. there's some other ones on there that are good too. i can't remember if it was good all the way through or not though.

patrick
05-08-2005, 06:13 PM
i like Real Gone. at least, "Hoist That Rag" is a kick ass song. there's some other ones on there that are good too. i can't remember if it was good all the way through or not though. yeah it's not awful but i dunno

RopeyLopey
05-09-2005, 12:40 AM
I always pass Real Gone in the store, wondering shall I get it, shall I not?
so far I haven't, I dunno.

El Savior
05-09-2005, 09:59 AM
tom waits is the man. a friend of mine used to talk about him all the time but i never really heard him... then i came across a torrent file containing all (??) 24 of his albums. i haven't listened to nearly all of his material yet, but my favorite albums so far are 'blue valentine' and 'nighthawks at the diner'.

he is really incredible. it is the definition of, like, music for a smokey dive bar. just awesome.

El Savior
05-09-2005, 10:00 AM
primus only put out two good albums

frizzle fry
pork soda
seas of cheese
punchbowl

that's four by my count.

pee pee colada
05-09-2005, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by El Savior

frizzle fry
punchbowlfrizzle fry's got a few good songs, but not enough that would give it good album status.

and lol@punchbowl.

El Savior
05-09-2005, 10:34 AM
frizzle fry's got a few good songs, but not enough that would give it good album status.

and lol@punchbowl.

laws of tradition
groundhog day
too many puppies
toys go winding down
harold of the rocks
john the fisherman

that's a good album.

and laugh all you want, punchbowl rocks. its antipop and the brown album that can be laughed at...

and those songs and animals should not try... are really good as well.

pee pee colada
05-09-2005, 10:38 AM
and those songs and animals should not try... are really good as well. agreed. but that's an EP.

and i might give frizzle fry a little slak. i do have a nostalgic softspot for those songs. but punch bowl no way. mrs. blaileen is the only song i really like on there.

alexthestampede
05-09-2005, 11:51 PM
i think mr pantyface had him on a list so i downloaded 2 of his albums. they suck, i deleted them, and i dont remember anything about it

Nidhogg
05-10-2005, 05:02 PM

frizzle fry
pork soda
seas of cheese
punchbowl

that's four by my count.

I agree with this, but I would add the Animals Should Try To Act Like People EP to this list.

I don't think the Brown Album is terrible per say, just kind of flat with overly muddy production. Antipop, on the otherhand, is pretty awful in most all respects.

Lie
05-10-2005, 08:12 PM
1. rain dogs
2. frank's wild years
3. blood money
4. alice

I would go more like:

1. Rain Dogs
2. Bone Machine
3. Swordfishtrombones

Lie
05-10-2005, 08:16 PM
Real Gone is odd. I bought it the day it was released. I think I like it, but for some reason I've only listened to it two or three times. Maybe I'll try again.

WFMU
05-10-2005, 08:18 PM
real gone is fantastic

Jonny5
05-10-2005, 08:53 PM

frizzle fry
pork soda
seas of cheese
punchbowl

that's four by my count.
I think I'd replace punchbowl with the brown album. I really like that one. the production in particular makes it the most unique primus disc I own. but I totally dig electric grapevine on punchbowl as well as a few others.

alexthestampede
05-11-2005, 03:04 AM
i was just kidding, guys. i have that song rain dogs. its alright

Ensoul
05-11-2005, 09:52 PM
tom waits is great.

my favorite is "hang down your head."

and anything off of rain dogs in particular.