View Full Version : Movies you didn't like the first time and loved the second time

pastor
05-08-2005, 05:49 AM
Adaptation - The first time I viewed this my reaction could best be summed up with a big MEH. I thought it was way too pleased with itself and the fact that it was about itself.

The second time I watched it, however, everything clicked. This is, quite simply, a movie about everything. It is the most mystical movie ever made, and most people who watch it will never realize it. To put it in dorky grammarian terms, most movies -- most creative works for that matter -- are pronouns. They are amalgams of inklings, refractions, offspring, and referents to creative works, to experiences, and to memories that came before, dumped into the blender of the artist's consciousness and spewed out for the rest of us to amalgamate, to inkle, to refract, to birth, and to refer to without knowing it.

With Adaptation, you get to witness an nth-generation pronoun as it searches for the original antecedent, gives up, and finally resigns itself -- no, enthralls itself in the process of a knowing adaptation. When I watch it, I feel like a person in a halo apparatus who's caught something extraordinary in the corner of his eye. Unable to turn my head, I move my body around to catch full view of it, but it has shifted. It is in my periphery again, just out of focus. And so I turn and turn, constantly on the cusp of catching it and constantly frustrated. I do this until I realize how ridiculous I must look -- a cripple, in a halo apparatus, spinning round and round, drooling and wearing a diaper (okay, the diaper part is unnecessary in this analogy but I just like the idea of a person in a halo apparatus wearing a diaper, do you mind?) -- and I have to just laugh and laugh. Adaptation catches that feeling, that ridiculous moment when one pronoun becomes the antecedent to another, and crystallizes it with a smirk.

Zoolander - This was inspired by the other thread. With this one, I just got over myself and allowed myself to enjoy something stupid.

So, which movie did you dislike the first time you saw it but loved the second time?

DeadSwan
05-08-2005, 06:02 AM
ok, i didn't really ever care about fellini, but last night i saw the last 23 minutes of la dolce vita and i thought it was the most visually beautiful thing i had ever seen, ever.

Isle
05-08-2005, 06:02 AM
see, if i don't like a film the first time, i tend not to watch it again.

pastor
05-08-2005, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by Isle
see, if i don't like a film the first time, i tend not to watch it again.

You really should reconsider this policy. Movies, given that they're not made by George Lucas, tend to be static; human personalities are not. You'd be surprised by the different sparks given off by the collision of your psyche with certain unchanging sense stimuli, when compared with the same collision at a different moment in time. The differences can say a lot about your personal growth.

Look, pretentious metaphors aside, I'm just saying you're missing out on an opportunity for self-examination.

Quagmire
05-08-2005, 06:39 AM
big lebowski

pastor
05-08-2005, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by ******
big lebowski

I'm not talking about movies that you didn't like but reconsidered because the Arbiters of Movie Taste indoctrinated you. I'm talking about coming around on your own terms.

Oh, and to the rest of you, give a fucking explanation when you report your movie, yeah? I know He of the Prodigious Eyebrow Ridge over here lacks the mental fortitude to articulate a polysyllabic opinion let alone an account of a personally transformative process, but I expect better from the rest of you.

Even if it's a "i no like toomb rayder because main character a girl but it action movie/ now i like toom rader because girl pretty." In fact, if everyone on netphoria could make a concerted effort to sound like Indians from 1950s westerns, then it'd be much appreciated. kthnxbye

Sonic Johnny
05-08-2005, 07:57 AM
Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?

this film has been ruined for my parents love of the soundtrack (they own the DVD of the live concert of the soundtrack)

pastor
05-08-2005, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by DeadSwan
ok, i didn't really ever care about fellini, but last night i saw the last 23 minutes of la dolce vita and i thought it was the most visually beautiful thing i had ever seen, ever.

Like Adaptation, his 8 1/2 is also a movie about itself and it is so beautiful it makes me want to stab my eyes out and use the blood to write a letter to my parents thanking them for my existence that I got to watch such a beautiful movie.

smashingjj
05-08-2005, 08:04 AM
la stanza del figlio

pale blue eyes
05-08-2005, 08:11 AM
Spinal Tap - The first time I saw it a lot of the jokes went right over my head and I thought it was dumb. A few years later when I was in high school my brother convinced me to watch it again and I realized how funny it was. Now I can pretty much quote the whole thing verbatim.

That's the only one I can think of.

the
05-08-2005, 08:27 AM
like izzle said. if i don't like a movie, i don't watch it again.

but it's happened the other way around. i watched something, thought was good and then when i saw it again it sucked.

prior restraint
05-08-2005, 08:28 AM
i cant really think of one now, but i do know that i like Emperor's New Groove a lot, and i think more people would like it if they watched it. PB

killer_tomato
05-08-2005, 09:29 AM
i didn't particularly like hana-bi the first time but my god was it amazing when i watched it for the second time. same with sonatine to a lesser extent. the good kitano movies really need to be watched twice.

Sonic Johnny
05-08-2005, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by the

but it's happened the other way around. i watched something, thought was good and then when i saw it again it sucked.

http://www.impawards.com/2002/posters/star_wars_episode_two_attack_of_the_clones_ver2.jp g

prior restraint
05-08-2005, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by Sonic Johnny

http://www.impawards.com/2002/posters/star_wars_episode_two_attack_of_the_clones_ver2.jp g

D.
05-08-2005, 09:52 AM
i didn't like napoleon dynamite the first time i watched it because i was looking for a plot.

once i realized there wasn't any kind of substance to the movie, i sat back and enjoyed it.

3Marlon3Brando
05-08-2005, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by pastor
It is the most mystical movie ever made, and most people who watch it will never realize it.

it must be nice being able able to enjoy things that us laymen cannot.

prior restraint
05-08-2005, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by 3Marlon3Brando

baseball is the most mystical sport ever, and very few realize, even those playing.
'
crazy i know

Mo
05-08-2005, 12:14 PM
battle royal
almost famous

Toby
05-08-2005, 01:48 PM
Zoolander and Envy

pee pee colada
05-08-2005, 01:52 PM
im trying to think.

pee pee colada
05-08-2005, 01:53 PM
thinking...

pee pee colada
thinking......

pee pee colada
thinking.........

pee pee colada
no i can't think of any movies like that.

VIOLENCE
05-08-2005, 03:15 PM

I'm not talking about movies that you didn't like but reconsidered because the Arbiters of Movie Taste indoctrinated you. I'm talking about coming around on your own terms.

Oh, and to the rest of you, give a fucking explanation when you report your movie, yeah? I know He of the Prodigious Eyebrow Ridge over here lacks the mental fortitude to articulate a polysyllabic opinion let alone an account of a personally transformative process, but I expect better from the rest of you.

Even if it's a "i no like toomb rayder because main character a girl but it action movie/ now i like toom rader because girl pretty." In fact, if everyone on netphoria could make a concerted effort to sound like Indians from 1950s westerns, then it'd be much appreciated. kthnxbye

Stop adding so many gay rules and maybe Id participate in this thread.

Future Boy
05-08-2005, 03:21 PM
Raising Arizona

Quagmire
05-08-2005, 03:21 PM

umm, what? i was the first to see it of my friends many years ago.

eh, nm. i dont have to justify my tastes to some weird guy on a messageboard.

continue massaging your anus

Corganist
05-08-2005, 03:36 PM
Army of Darkness

One of my friends made me watch this back in high school and I thought he was punishing me. I thought it was the chessiest and most nonsensical thing I'd ever seen. Totally hated it. A few years later, I started making an effort to watch older horror/cult movies, and so I watched Evil Dead 1 and 2 and totally loved them. Then I found out that Army of Darkness was a sequel to those movies, so I gave it a second chance and it just clicked. All the goofiness made sense with the minimal context the first two movies provided. Anyhow, now AOD is one of my faves.

Axis of Action
05-08-2005, 03:37 PM
this happens a lot less with movies for me than it does with music. I can't think of any off the top of my head.

mistle
05-08-2005, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Corganist
Army of Darkness

One of my friends made me watch this back in high school and I thought he was punishing me. I thought it was the chessiest and most nonsensical thing I'd ever seen. Totally hated it. A few years later, I started making an effort to watch older horror/cult movies, and so I watched Evil Dead 1 and 2 and totally loved them. Then I found out that Army of Darkness was a sequel to those movies, so I gave it a second chance and it just clicked. All the goofiness made sense with the minimal context the first two movies provided. Anyhow, now AOD is one of my faves.

i saw army of darkness before evil dead too, but i absoluty loved it (and of course still do). i think i probably wouldn't have liked evil dead very much if i hadn't seen aod first

GreenEggsNSpam
05-08-2005, 03:48 PM
I thought the title said you didn't really know/ like much..
Edit: hmm.. I can't really think of any movies.
There were some parts of Army Of Darknes that I didn't like the first time around, but enjoyed during the second viewing.

pastor
05-08-2005, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by 3Marlon3Brando

That sentence was tongue in cheek. I was totally hamming up my enthusiasm for this thread.

I really don't know what it's like to feel like or dislike. :(

pastor
05-08-2005, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by prior restraint

baseball is the most mystical sport ever, and very few realize, even those playing.

True -- one must have the patience of a Zen master to endure such a boring whackass sport.

When it comes to athletic sport, it's all about competitive Civil War reenacting. :cool:

Nimrod's Son
05-08-2005, 07:29 PM
The Whore of the Rings II

pastor
05-08-2005, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by ******

umm, what? i was the first to see it of my friends many years ago.

eh, nm. i dont have to justify my tastes to some weird guy on a messageboard.

continue massaging your anus

You know, you really don't know how to respond to presumptuous, uncalled-for, unconstructive criticism very well.

blackfaerie
05-08-2005, 07:33 PM
fear and loathing in las vegas. but i think it was because when i watched it last night i was crunk.

johnny depp is such an amazing actor.

pastor
05-08-2005, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by VIOLENCE
Stop adding so many gay rules and maybe Id participate in this thread.

Oh, and everyone who posts must perform hari-kari on themselves afterward.

pee pee colada
05-08-2005, 07:37 PM
i know it's not quite the same, but can we i<hg>ncude similar experiences we had with certain bands and record, oh He of Cerebral and Lingual Foritude.

pastor
05-08-2005, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by pee pee colada
i know it's not quite the same, but can we i<hg>ncude similar experiences we had with certain bands and record, oh He of Cerebral and Lingual Foritude.

So it is written; so it shall be done.

Nimrod's Son
05-08-2005, 07:44 PM
I wasn't kidding about the Rings everyone

I wasn't impressed the first time

pee pee colada
05-08-2005, 07:47 PM
Sigur Ros - Agaetis Byrjun
bought it solely upon the reccomendation of someone here (i think it was shannon) and it absolutely bored me to tears. i thought it was so boring and dissonant that i couldn't even use it as a sleeping aide. it sat in my cd book for probably two years until i took it out one day. it was the first time i had ever walked out of my job on the clock. i drove around and listened to it and it just clicked and became one of a small group of discs i listened to exclusively for a year or so. still love it.

Tooley
05-08-2005, 08:07 PM
Rushmore.... I hated it the first time, and now I love it so much that I bought it!!!

Wes Anderson Films is something you need to watch two times, then you will see how good the movie is.....

professional wannabe
05-08-2005, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Axis of Action
this happens a lot less with movies for me than it does with music. I can't think of any off the top of my head.

same here. hmmm, movies, movies, movies this has happened to............

though i rewatched this last summer(and it didn't actually change my opinion of the movie, per se, since i already liked it), Fast Times At Ridgemont High. i believe last summer was like the 3rd or 4th time i've seen it, and i always forget how damn funny and good of a movie that is(especially the stoner in the movie (Spicoli) played by Sean Penn). all it did basically was just make me appreciate that movie so much fregging more.

now that i think of it, Dude, Where's My Car is the only one really that comes to mind. i think i was expecting too much from that movie the first time i saw it, but when i rewatched it, i loved so many of the subtle jokes within that movie. a lot of the style of that movie seems similar to Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle, too.

Affectation
05-08-2005, 10:05 PM
None.

pee pee colada
05-08-2005, 11:10 PM
fuck