View Full Version : Mean creek

chris_bakewell
04-30-2005, 03:31 PM
Has anyone seen this film?

What are your views on it?

Blue*Carbonite
04-30-2005, 03:35 PM
if i don't make any more gay references....
can we be friends?

chris_bakewell
04-30-2005, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Blue*Carbonite
if i don't make any more gay references....
can we be friends?

If you're being serious, then yes.....

Blue*Carbonite
04-30-2005, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by chris_bakewell

If you're being serious, then yes.....
AWESOME

we're so BFF now

chris_bakewell
04-30-2005, 03:44 PM

AWESOME

we're so BFF now

So have you seen the film mean creek?

Axis of Action
04-30-2005, 03:49 PM
it's mediocre. 5/10.

the worst problem it has is with the idea. it's such a rehashed story. kids out adventuring are confronted with death. oh snap. how many times have I seen a film like this? the characters are good but I don't think they really reflect the true boredom of the suburban lifestyle. the high point of the film is Scott Mechlowicz as the tough older kid. It's really entertaining to watch the actor who did the two-dimensional main character from Eurotrip do this slightly complicated character; he's a convincing bully-type.

basically, if you haven't seen Stand By Me, you'll be entertained by it. also, if you haven't seen Stand By Me, don't rent Mean Creek, rent that.

Blue*Carbonite
04-30-2005, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Axis of Action
it's mediocre. 5/10.
basically, if you haven't seen Stand By Me, you'll be entertained by it. also, if you haven't seen Stand By Me, don't rent Mean Creek, rent that.
that's pretty much what i've heard. and i love Stand by Me. so yeah

chris_bakewell
04-30-2005, 03:52 PM

that's pretty much what i've heard. and i love Stand by Me. so yeah

Yeah stand by me is brilliant!!!!

I like the pie eating contest part!!!

chris_bakewell
04-30-2005, 03:53 PM
Ain't mean creek got that fat kid in it, out of that kids show drake and josh?

Axis of Action
04-30-2005, 03:55 PM
Ain't mean creek got that fat kid in it, out of that kids show drake and josh?

yeah it does.

he's the second most interesting character, but they don't make his anger really believable. he lashes out at some of the younger characters for basically no reason. they made him too unreasonable, it's just random.

since you've seen Stand By Me, if you want to, rent this. Just know that SBM is the far better film.

alexthestampede
04-30-2005, 03:55 PM
np the fugees - stand by me

Oranjes
04-30-2005, 03:56 PM
I would give it a 6.5 out 10. It's an independent film,(I think), and I thought it was really enertaining for my low expectations. The acting was superb, considering they were all kids. I saw the bully acting on the Disney channel and his styles are so polar opposite it's godlike!

I've never seen a movie with this kind of story, but it was all pretty predictable none-the-less. I agree with Sehki that it's not a completley accurate rendition of what bored suburban kids do, but at the same time it's all possible. I'm glad I watched it and feel like I even learned a little bit about myself/the world, but it's not a movie I would like to watch again. I like these types of movies because they try and focus more on the storyline than special effects and high paid actors making appearances!

Blue*Carbonite
04-30-2005, 03:59 PM

Yeah stand by me is brilliant!!!!

I like the pie eating contest part!!!
nevermind. i take everything i've said in this thread back. you're an idiot.

Oranjes
04-30-2005, 04:03 PM
he's the second most interesting character, but they don't make his anger really believable. Who's the most interesting character in your opinion? I'd say the troubled older kid. I can't remember any of the names.. heh

And I disagree with your post about how his anger isn't believable. I think the contrary, that's it's too realistic for a movie. Movies always use extreme conditions to cause anger and make it obvious to the viewer, but in real life a person who has the same mental disorders as the bully does would also act sporadically with that kind of rage. I've been attacked by someone who had a mental illness for no real reason. When he got frustrated, he flipped. I will say that it's not as enertaining to see a character angry and act mean for small reasons if any at all.

Axis of Action
04-30-2005, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Oranjes
Who's the most interesting character in your opinion? I'd say the troubled older kid. I can't remember any of the names.. heh

And I disagree with your post about how his anger isn't believable. I think the contrary, that's it's too realistic for a movie. Movies always use extreme conditions to cause anger and make it obvious to the viewer, but in real life a person who has the same mental disorders as the bully does would also act sporadically with that kind of rage. I've been attacked by someone who had a mental illness for no real reason. When he got frustrated, he flipped. I will say that it's not as enertaining to see a character angry and act mean for small reasons if any at all.

right but see the fact that he has a mental illness is the reason for the attack. I don't really remember that well but I'm fairly sure they never mention George having a mental illness. if they had, I'd have been fine with it. because I also have had to deal with bipolar people IRL and I've seen their mood swings.

and yeah I said in my original post that I thought Marty was the most interesting character. mostly because of Scott's acting, but the character is written as the most dynamic, too.

chris_bakewell
04-30-2005, 04:11 PM

nevermind. i take everything i've said in this thread back. you're an idiot.

Well fuck you, that part is funny!!!

Oranjes
04-30-2005, 04:14 PM

and yeah I said in my original post that I thought Marty was the most interesting character. mostly because of Scott's acting, but the character is written as the most dynamic, too. Opps. Sorry for missing that one.

Oh, then we agree! YAY!