View Full Version : Another take on this new sound

dokhma
04-28-2005, 12:39 PM
I love the shoegazer sound, you know bands like Ride, My Bloody Valentine, All Natural Lemon and Lime...and to the casual listener that music can sound "over produced" or "lifeless" or even tedius very easily. It seems that now with the new corgan solo stuff people are complaining that the guitar isn't quickly definable, and everything needs more space and that there's too much production on the album...to me, from someone who appreciates (and plays) that thick, lush, hazy sound, this music is the shit.

To me this music is cool for three reasons: 1) That lush hazy sound is everywhere, 2) unlike most if not all shoegazer stuff the lyrics are distinguishable and 3) unlike most shoegazer stuff the beats are pronounced, almost giving it a dance like quality (similar to new order/depeche mode what have you)...with all of this ultimately leading to a familar, yet unique sound.

Not that I'm tired of guitar driven rock. I love it. But I guess it depends on what kind of music you like outside of our mutual bond that brings us here, which is the smashing pumpkins and/or zwan, that will shed light as to why you do or do not like the new music.

As someone who plays shoegazer/noise pop, I know that most of the lush sound comes from the artist, there's just a crap load of effect pedals involved. It's then the producers/mixers (which in this particular case, the artist still has his hands in) job to level everything, and fit everything together cohesively (tie up the loose ends). There's probably no more/no less digital correction/production/what have you on any of this music than any of his other stuff.

And to me, from someone who appreciates a niche kind of sound (which was mainly in the late 80's early 90's and was waaay ahead of its time sonically), to see something even close to that sound on a major record label, with a full on video and everything, it makes me VERY happy because maybe people will become exposed to other types of music not commonly appreciated and/or even known about. And if you watch mtv2 for 2 hours and see where "rock" is mainstream wise and "Walking Shade" comes on, it'll look like it came from another planet. Not that I sit around worrying about the state of commercial music, but just think...if someone can push it in a new and interesting direction, maybe more independent bands that are pushing the envelope underground right now can finally see the limelight and can quit their job at the local pizza shop.

Affectation
04-28-2005, 12:44 PM
I bet the acoustic demos for the shit we've already heard are great.

Quiet
04-28-2005, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by dokhma
And if you watch mtv2 for 2 hours and see where "rock" is mainstream wise and "Walking Shade" comes on, it'll look like it came from another planet.

Another Planet = "Float On" by Modest Mouse

dokhma
04-28-2005, 12:48 PM
modest mouse rocks. A great example of a band making fine music for years that finally broke through.

Quiet
04-28-2005, 12:51 PM
modest mouse rocks. A great example of a band making fine music for years that finally broke through.

Yeah, I'm just saying the video looks a lot like their video. I like both!

:2thumbsup

dokhma
04-28-2005, 12:57 PM
yeah i thought that too, actually. But if you wanna get technical, the playstation game "Parappa the Rapper" started the whole 2d objects in a 3d space thing...haha, and if you want to be technical about being technical, Wolfenstein 3D started that cause the enemies and barrels were 2d and no matter how you circled around them you saw the same point of refrence.

Dammit, I never thought Corgan was gonna rip off old videogames!

dokhma
04-28-2005, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Affectation
I bet the acoustic demos for the shit we've already heard are great.

Yeah, I'd love to hear them.

wHATcOLOR
04-28-2005, 01:05 PM
Wolfenstein

:rockon:

Quiet
04-28-2005, 01:10 PM
yeah i thought that too, actually. But if you wanna get technical, the playstation game "Parappa the Rapper" started the whole 2d objects in a 3d space thing...

:banoonoo:

http://www.gamerankings.com/screens3/488/1.jpg

dokhma
04-28-2005, 01:14 PM
haha, that warms my heart

Quiet
04-28-2005, 01:17 PM
Sadly, I'd say every song on Parappa the Rapper is better than anything we've heard from TFE.

stealthninja
04-28-2005, 01:27 PM
Modest Mouse. That's a name I wouldn't expect to see in here. Most of their jams sound Pixies to me. I agree with the main post though. I think like so many have said before, we should hear the whole album first before running around defining it. Seems like the songs are more of a grow on you sort than immediate pop hit thing. What is everyone so afraid of?

dokhma
04-28-2005, 01:30 PM
pixies. now that's a band. Anyone catch them on their recent tour? They were great.

Quiet
04-28-2005, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by ciGarki

you're an idiot

...I'm guessing someone has never played Parappa the Rapper.

chris_bakewell
04-28-2005, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Quiet

...I'm guessing someone has never played Parappa the Rapper.

I love thaT GAME.

DeviousJ
04-28-2005, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by ciGarki

guilty:rolleyes:

The other day I was called a little turkey
But I'm a chicken, got it?
You beef jerky

dokhma
04-28-2005, 05:39 PM
freestyle mode was the best

Sloppy Echo
04-28-2005, 06:08 PM
I love the shoegazer sound, you know bands like Ride, My Bloody Valentine, All Natural Lemon and Lime...and to the casual listener that music can sound "over produced" or "lifeless" or even tedius very easily. It seems that now with the new corgan solo stuff people are complaining that the guitar isn't quickly definable, and everything needs more space and that there's too much production on the album...to me, from someone who appreciates (and plays) that thick, lush, hazy sound, this music is the shit.

To me this music is cool for three reasons: 1) That lush hazy sound is everywhere, 2) unlike most if not all shoegazer stuff the lyrics are distinguishable and 3) unlike most shoegazer stuff the beats are pronounced, almost giving it a dance like quality (similar to new order/depeche mode what have you)...with all of this ultimately leading to a familar, yet unique sound.

Not that I'm tired of guitar driven rock. I love it. But I guess it depends on what kind of music you like outside of our mutual bond that brings us here, which is the smashing pumpkins and/or zwan, that will shed light as to why you do or do not like the new music.

As someone who plays shoegazer/noise pop, I know that most of the lush sound comes from the artist, there's just a crap load of effect pedals involved. It's then the producers/mixers (which in this particular case, the artist still has his hands in) job to level everything, and fit everything together cohesively (tie up the loose ends). There's probably no more/no less digital correction/production/what have you on any of this music than any of his other stuff.

And to me, from someone who appreciates a niche kind of sound (which was mainly in the late 80's early 90's and was waaay ahead of its time sonically), to see something even close to that sound on a major record label, with a full on video and everything, it makes me VERY happy because maybe people will become exposed to other types of music not commonly appreciated and/or even known about. And if you watch mtv2 for 2 hours and see where "rock" is mainstream wise and "Walking Shade" comes on, it'll look like it came from another planet. Not that I sit around worrying about the state of commercial music, but just think...if someone can push it in a new and interesting direction, maybe more independent bands that are pushing the envelope underground right now can finally see the limelight and can quit their job at the local pizza shop.

Nice post. :)

dokhma
04-28-2005, 11:00 PM
nice icon, sloppy. :)

br191804
04-30-2005, 10:54 AM
Good Point, Echo. This album is going to kick ass and you know what? It doesn't matter to me if every Tom, Dick, or Harry dislikes this album. All I need to know is that from what I've heard and seen (video) so far I'm going to like it. So all you nay saying little punk suckers can lick my nuts. GO Billy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU FUCKING ROCK!!!! YEAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!l

BRING IT ON NAYSAYERS> LITTLE PUNK ASS SUCKERS> C

tomthum81
04-30-2005, 12:38 PM
Anyone catch them on their recent tour? They were great.
fuckin a they were... great show

m402
05-03-2005, 12:33 AM
I was really thrown into a different space when I saw the video. I loved it, and didn't like it for different reasons all at the same time.

But the song has amazing potential. Alone, it's a great pop song and rock song with a lot more artistic substance than so much of what's out there. But it has to be taken within the context of the rest of the album as a whole to really get a good idea of what it's all about. Kudos to Billy for keeping us captivated, for better or for worse.

And btw, I caught the Pixies in Chicago on their Sellout tour...it was fantastic!!l...but alas, it was still a reunion tour (aka passed their prime).

rocstar143
07-07-2005, 03:30 PM
i love 80's and 90's dance music! i have been listening to this guy johnny freeman a lot! he is a new artist who resembles an 80's type sound. his song the love is amazing! i would love to get more on him, can anyone help me out?

vbshlofbvgos
07-07-2005, 03:57 PM
i used to like parappa but everyone i knew hated it.
kind of like the future embrace.

Quiet
07-07-2005, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by vbshlofbvgos
i used to like parappa but everyone i knew hated it.
kind of like the future embrace.

Everyone you know sucks then.

homechicago
07-07-2005, 04:20 PM
awesome post.

i don't care if people don't like it. i care when they don't like it because it's not "like the smashing pumpkins"

what DOES bug me are critiques that bring up the smashing pumpkins, like he's grounded and not allowed out of that room for dessert. i'm glad he is able to get beyond sp complaints and venture into something different.

homechicago
07-07-2005, 04:20 PM
awesome post.

i don't care if people don't like it. i care when they don't like it because it's not "like the smashing pumpkins"

what DOES bug me are critiques that bring up the smashing pumpkins, like he's grounded and not allowed out of that room for dessert. i'm glad he is able to get beyond sp complaints and venture into something different.

Corgan Rules
07-07-2005, 04:35 PM
Sadly, I'd say every song on Parappa the Rapper is better than anything we've heard from TFE.

You have problems! If you feel that way, say goodbye until something else comes out from Billy that pleases you more. You are just retarted with some of your comments!!!

Corgan Rules
07-07-2005, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by br191804
Good Point, Echo. This album is going to kick ass and you know what? It doesn't matter to me if every Tom, Dick, or Harry dislikes this album. All I need to know is that from what I've heard and seen (video) so far I'm going to like it. So all you nay saying little punk suckers can lick my nuts. GO Billy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU FUCKING ROCK!!!! YEAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!l

BRING IT ON NAYSAYERS> LITTLE PUNK ASS SUCKERS> C

Word! I agree with you. Fuck all these other punk ass faggots! They can go cry me a fuckin river!!! WAAAAAA!!! BITCHES!

Quiet
07-07-2005, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Corgan Rules
You are just retarted with some of your comments!!!

My oh my, isn't this the pot calling the kettle black.

youngod
07-07-2005, 05:05 PM

you are retarded...

Quiet
07-07-2005, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by youngod

you are retarded...

3 entries found for joke.
joke ( P ) Pronunciation Key (jk)
n.
Something said or done to evoke laughter or amusement, especially an amusing story with a punch line.
A mischievous trick; a prank.
An amusing or ludicrous incident or situation.
Informal.
Something not to be taken seriously; a triviality: The accident was no joke.
An object of amusement or laughter; a laughingstock: His loud tie was the joke of the office.

DeviousJ
07-07-2005, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Corgan Rules

Word! They can go cry me a fuckin river!!!

I knew this guy was a Justin Timberlake fan. Word!

yourbedhead
07-07-2005, 06:36 PM

Great Post! I am a Huge fan of the shoegaze sound. Infact that's probably why I like Billy's stuff so much because its always had a great sonic / Lush sound. BTW dokhma... I know Jeremy of All Natural Lemon And Lime Flavors and just so ahppen to be working on their official site. www.allnaturallemonandlimeflavors.com (Coming "soon") it's not my top priority right now, but keep a watch for.

Quiet CD
07-07-2005, 08:37 PM
i'd love to dance at the shows but i feel that i would be one of the only ones to do so.

homechicago
07-07-2005, 08:46 PM
the fillmore. should be a great show there.